Wines - what are you holding/buying

56,592 Views | 418 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by GoBearsGo
br53
How long do you want to ignore this user?
bularry said:

WILLIS said:

GoBearsGo said:

Any keep a wine fridge in the garage? We are running out of room and I'm thinking I keep a freezer in the garage with no issues, why not a wine fridge.

In Houston also. I keep a large wine fridge in our detached garage storage room. I was concerned about heat and humidity so I cut out and installed a cheap and small $150 window unit to keep the temps below 80. Probably equally important it keeps the humidity way down in our swamp environment. And as a bonus it's way more pleasant of a space to be in and work in year around. Definitely notice the wine fridge and old garage fridge/freezer not having to work near as hard since adding that in. I need to get the air compressor out and blow the dust/dirt away from the coils. Been about a year.
humidity not a problem for wine bottles... temp can be, obviously
I am not going to put words into his mouth but my concern when I put the wine fridge outside wasnt the heat/humidity on the bottles as much as it was the effect and wear on the wine fridge. Had to get a pretty good one to make it thru the warm to very hot months down here.
The battle is not yours, but God's.
2 Chronicles 20:15
WILLIS
bularry said:

WILLIS said:

GoBearsGo said:

Any keep a wine fridge in the garage? We are running out of room and I'm thinking I keep a freezer in the garage with no issues, why not a wine fridge.

In Houston also. I keep a large wine fridge in our detached garage storage room. I was concerned about heat and humidity so I cut out and installed a cheap and small $150 window unit to keep the temps below 80. Probably equally important it keeps the humidity way down in our swamp environment. And as a bonus it's way more pleasant of a space to be in and work in year around. Definitely notice the wine fridge and old garage fridge/freezer not having to work near as hard since adding that in. I need to get the air compressor out and blow the dust/dirt away from the coils. Been about a year.

Obviously not worried about the wine bottles! Worried about the subzero wine fridge gifted to me from a construction projects owners were getting rid of. That bad boy is worth protecting.
br53
WILLIS said:

bularry said:

WILLIS said:

GoBearsGo said:

Obviously not worried about the wine bottles! Worried about the subzero wine fridge gifted to me from a construction projects owners were getting rid of. That bad boy is worth protecting.
Yea those are not cheap.
The battle is not yours, but God's.
2 Chronicles 20:15
bularry
br53 said:

bularry said:

WILLIS said:

GoBearsGo said:

I am not going to put words into his mouth but my concern when I put the wine fridge outside wasnt the heat/humidity on the bottles as much as it was the effect and wear on the wine fridge. Had to get a pretty good one to make it thru the warm to very hot months down here.

Fair point!
J.R.
bularry said:

J.R. said:

bularry said:

WILLIS said:

My wife definitely feels this way. Loves chardonnay without the butter.

the butter is usually more from malo fermentation and not oak....
yes, some places in CA even double Malo. I just don't prefer that style. I prefer my chard and pinot grown in "coo climates"

Ever been to Lompoc? Definitely colder there than Williamette Valley
yes.
Marlin
Merry Christmas winos. What are yall drinking for Christmas?
I'm opening up a 2016 Reserve Cab from William Harrison tonight for Christmas Eve.
Can't go wrong with that Rutherford Dust.
bularry
Tonight with gumbo I've got a Muscadet and a'15 Liqid Farm Chardonnay and a '15 domaine de la cote pinot
J.R.
Since I was afflicted with the Covid, I had a 2005 Chateau Haut Bailly ! Drank the entire thing myself! lol
bularry
J.R. said:

Since I was afflicted with the Covid, I had a 2005 Chateau Haut Bailly ! Drank the entire thing myself! lol
I had the '10 a while back, my first time to try one of their wines. Rather enjoyed it. How was the '05?
J.R.
bularry said:

J.R. said:

I had the '10 a while back, my first time to try one of their wines. Rather enjoyed it. How was the '05?
2005, 2009, 2010 all spectacular.
bularry
J.R. said:

bularry said:

J.R. said:

2005, 2009, 2010 all spectacular.
seem to recall price point was pretty fair, I think they have enough production that it doesn't get difficult to source. I'm pretty sure I paid less than $90 for my bottle, maybe $80.
FLBear5630
Marlin said:

I'm opening up a 2016 Reserve Cab from William Harrison tonight for Christmas Eve.
Not into wine, more my wife. She is a Reisling, Gruener Veltliner, and Gewurztraminer. I will indulge if she gets a bottle. I will say I had Gruener Veltliner in Munich and Salzburg this October and it was very good, could have been the atmosphere.
bularry
you were definitely in the right area to enjoy Gruener..
FLBear5630
bularry said:

you were definitely in the right area to enjoy Gruener..

Highly recommend Munich! Salzburg is a bit touristy but eating up on the fortress drinking Gruener on a October afternoon is about as good as it gets!
J.R.
RMF5630 said:

Marlin said:

Not into wine, more my wife. She is a Reisling, Gruener Veltliner, and Gewurztraminer. I will indulge if she gets a bottle. I will say I had Gruener Veltliner in Munich and Salzburg this October and it was very good, could have been the atmosphere.
Gruner is the favorite of Sommeliers . It goes with tons of food. I'm a fan.
FLBear5630
J.R. said:

RMF5630 said:

Marlin said:

My wife loves it with food. Eeisli g to sip.
bularry
J.R. said:

RMF5630 said:

Marlin said:

I really like Austrian and Alsacian Reisling, which are generally very dry and very floral with a bit of body. I also like the Spatlese German R's, but my wife finds the petrol/rubber scent off-putting.

anyway, if you enjoy whites, and frankly, everyone should, tremendous values in the wines from Austria and Alsace that go so well with food and don't get you hammered or palate fatigued after 2 glasses.
FLBear5630
bularry said:

J.R. said:

RMF5630 said:

Marlin said:

I really like Austrian and Alsacian Reisling, which are generally very dry and very floral with a bit of body. I also like the Spatlese German R's, but my wife finds the petrol/rubber sent off-putting.

anyway, if you enjoy whites, and frankly, everyone should, tremendous values in the wines from Austria and Alsace that go so well with food and don't get you hammered or palate fatigued after 2 glasses.

Tonight is Michener Straight Rye and my wife has a German Reisling
bularry

Really nice Nerello Mascalese, which is the nerd grape of the moment. Look at that color! really enjoyable wine.

New burgundy I tried. Big wine, lots of layers of flavor and depth, despite the youth. '19 a ripe vintage? Not an expert. I really like it. trying to learn more about Burgundy.
GoBearsGo
What are we drinking/buying now?

We had a nice Napa rose from Blankiet and a Furmint from Kapscandy this weekend with stir-fry. We had some vietcajun crawfish and I took a bottle of Staglin Rose for that.

Trying to drink as much of our Napa wines from the past two years so we can start exploring other regions.
bularry
GoBearsGo said:

What are we drinking/buying now?

We had a nice Napa rose from Blankiet and a Furmint from Kapscandy this weekend with stir-fry. We had some vietcajun crawfish and I took a bottle of Staglin Rose for that.

Trying to drink as much of our Napa wines from the past two years so we can start exploring other regions.
Blankiet? I bet that ain't a cheap rose!

I've been trying the wines from my spring Southold Cellars release recently. That's a Texas producer for those that aren't familiar.

Did try a 2021 rose from Liquid Farm recently, and it was quite good. Trying to hold off on rose's until June or later.

Had some red burgundy recently, trying to drink a bit more old world for now.
GoBearsGo
It's about the cheapest thing they have.

bularry
GoBearsGo said:

LOL, yeah, I'm sure. Their cab is pricey, but good I've heard. I haven't ever tasted.
GoBearsGo
bularry said:

GoBearsGo said:

LOL, yeah, I'm sure. Their cab is pricey, but good I've heard. I haven't ever tasted.

I'll bring one when we get a chance to meet up.
dmayfield
I'm a longtime Baylor fan but new to the Sicem365 world and stumbled upon this thread. I know it's been dormant for a couple of years, but if any of you wine folks find yourselves in town for a Baylor game, I'd love to meet up and open some bottles.

I've been cellaring wines for the past 8 or so years and have a lot of stuff I'd be happy to share. My wines skew more towards the esoteric and natural, but some good surprises in there.
GoBearsGo
Thanks for bringing this up. What's everyone drinking these days. Just got my allocation notice from Eisele. Also finalized our trip to Sonoma in a month.
dmayfield
Just got back from my annual pilgrimage to the freezing cold cellars in the Loire Valley for La Dive Bouteille and some other wine salons and so have been drinking a bunch from the Loire lately.

But otherwise, I suitcased a few bottles from a producer I'm crazy about in the Jura-- Domaine Labet. Not planning on drinking for a bit, but excited to be able to set aside some bottles.

Who are you seeing in Sonoma?
GoBearsGo
We were the highest bidder on a package at a charity. 2 nights at the Fairmont and we will add a couple more.

One day is a winemaker for a day where we get to blend and bottle our own wine.

Next day is a tasting at Joseph Phelps and a lunch at Chandon.

After Chandon we will head over to Garguilo Vinyards overlooking screaming eagle.

Our Sonoma day is J Rochioli, then Flowers Vinyards, then Kosta Browne.

Our driver picked out the Sonoma places and Garguillo. Not planning on buying a ton, but I'm sure I'll find a few bottles.
bularry
GoBearsGo said:

We were the highest bidder on a package at a charity. 2 nights at the Fairmont and we will add a couple more.

After Chandon we will head over to Garguilo Vinyards overlooking screaming eagle.

Our driver picked out the Sonoma places and Garguillo. Not planning on buying a ton, but I'm sure I'll find a few bottles.
Those are solid Sonoma wineries, definitely large scale enterprises, but lots of history growing grapes in RRV area and Sonoma Coast.

Not familiar with Garguilo. Chandon is down in Carneros?
bularry
dmayfield said:

I'm a longtime Baylor fan but new to the Sicem365 world and stumbled upon this thread. I know it's been dormant for a couple of years, but if any of you wine folks find yourselves in town for a Baylor game, I'd love to meet up and open some bottles.

I've been cellaring wines for the past 8 or so years and have a lot of stuff I'd be happy to share. My wines skew more towards the esoteric and natural, but some good surprises in there.
based on your second post, I'm always down for some classic whites from the Loire valley, so let's get a bottle share on the books! I'm not as fully invested into the natural world, although I've had some I loved.
GoBearsGo
bularry said:

dmayfield said:

based on your second post, I'm always down for some classic whites from the Loire valley, so let's get a bottle share on the books! I'm not as fully invested into the natural world, although I've had some I loved.

In April or May I'd be down for a meet up to drink a bottle or two if Houston is the spot.
GoBearsGo
bularry said:

GoBearsGo said:

Those are solid Sonoma wineries, definitely large scale enterprises, but lots of history growing grapes in RRV area and Sonoma Coast.

Not familiar with Garguilo. Chandon is down in Carneros?

It's up in Yountville I think. I'm sure they get grapes from all over. Wife and I are both sitting for our CFP in March so it's either a celebration or drown your sorrows trip. I'd prefer to hit smaller producers but this trip I said good wine with great views and if we could have wine dogs hanging out too. Plus the things I've "won" from charity things. Should be a fun trip. I'm going to try and limit how much I buy. My fridge is stocked and I don't have a ton on room elsewhere. Plus I need to get insurance on what we have. I started counting bottles and cost and it adds up real quick. Homeowners doesn't cover it.
dmayfield
sounds like fun to me!
dmayfield
GoBearsGo said:

bularry said:

dmayfield said:

In April or May I'd be down for a meet up to drink a bottle or two if Houston is the spot.
I'm in Houston for work a couple of days a month usually. We could easily meet there if it works for everyone

bularry
dmayfield said:

GoBearsGo said:

bularry said:

dmayfield said:

I'm in Houston for work a couple of days a month usually. We could easily meet there if it works for everyone

We could meet up at AOC, order in food, be a good time. I'm flexible since I live here.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.