Wines - what are you holding/buying

54,773 Views | 405 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by bularry
forza orsi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
EnglishBear said:

GoBearsGo said:

Headed to Napa Valley in April. I am a member of Groth and Davis Estates. I will probably drop Groth as I can find it at HEB now.

What are some of your favorites places to visit? I'd like to find a few spots that are high quality limited production.

Hourglass, just off the Silverado Trail outside Calistoga

Heading south from there, Mending Wall on the Silverado Trail btw Saint Helena and Calistoga

A little further south, Seavey on Conn Valley just east of Saint Helena

Most southerly and easterly (and way most spendy), Continuum outside of Rutherford. They only make two wines a year, and it's not cheap, but it's not quite Staglin prices.

ETA: I haven't been up there in a couple years and can't confirm that these places are all open post-fires and with Covid protocols. But you'd be reaching out to them for appointments anyway so easy to check. Have a great trip!

Got back from Napa on Monday. Thanks for the Mending Wall recommendation. Really nice wines and a great tasting experience. The tasting host spent the last 6 years working directly with the chief winemaker there, and was really great. I say thanks, but probably spent too much on an order. Really good stuff. The Tournahu cab was outstanding and the Oakville Ranch even better. Picked up some of each. The Stone on Stone white blend was nice. I really like good dark reds, but we eat seafood 4-5 nights per week, so I actually ordered the most of this one.

I tried to get a Seavey appointment, and they acknowledged my request and said they'd get back to me with a time, but never heard back.
bularry
GoBearsGo said:

any of ya'll in Houston use any type of offsite storage? If so where and what do you look for?

I use a closet

Frankly, my 350 bottles aren't worth enough to justify the monthly cost, but if I had more dough I'd do either NCV or AoC. Both do great events for their members
WILLIS

J.R.
WILLIS said:

from the late great Gil Nickel (BU Grad)!!!
GoBearsGo
J.R. said:

WILLIS said:

All the info I see is he went to OSU.
bularry
Santa Ynez valley was great!

If you like wine trips, I highly recommend. I did 4 tasting where I was chatting with the owner or winemaker (sometimes same person). That don't happen in Napa (at least not much). Helps if you like chard/pinot
bularry

New winery for me that we experienced out in Los Olivos. Husband and wife team. Make some very interesting sauv. blanc in addition to several pinots.

small production so doubt anyone here has ever tried it/heard of it?
J.R.
GoBearsGo said:

J.R. said:

WILLIS said:

All the info I see is he went to OSU.
I had always heard he was from Oklahoma and owned a nursery and got into the wine trade and went to bu. could be wrong.
J.R.
bularry
I'm buying handfuls of '16 Barolo and Brunello since the vintage seems to be so good. My palate generally favors a Barolo flavor profile over Brunello, but I'm curious to get more of these classic Tuscan offerings.

So give me some producers you like from '16 and approx. price

forza orsi
bularry said:

I'm buying handfuls of '16 Barolo and Brunello since the vintage seems to be so good. My palate generally favors a Barolo flavor profile over Brunello, but I'm curious to get more of these classic Tuscan offerings.

You probably know this but, to be clear, only the Brunello is Tuscan. The Barolo is from Piemonte. I'm not an expert on the northern Italian wines, but I recently had the Brunello from Le Chiuse, and it was fabulous. It's around $100.
bularry
forza orsi said:

bularry said:

You probably know this but, to be clear, only the Brunello is Tuscan. The Barolo is from Piemonte. I'm not an expert on the northern Italian wines, but I recently had the Brunello from Le Chiuse, and it was fabulous. It's around $100.
yes, if it wasn't clear, the Tuscan was in reference to the Brunello and not the Nebiollo from Piemonte

and props to you, a quick google shows me that wine in the '15 and '16 vintages has scores from 98-100. I'm not a scores ***** or anything, but that is fairly impressive no matter how you slice it.

forza orsi
bularry said:

forza orsi said:

bularry said:

yes, if it wasn't clear, the Tuscan was in reference to the Brunello and not the Nebiollo from Piemonte

and props to you, a quick google shows me that wine in the '15 and '16 vintages has scores from 98-100. I'm not a scores ***** or anything, but that is fairly impressive no matter how you slice it.

As I mentioned, I'm not an expert on these, but it's nice to have a friend who is.
bularry
I'm going to try to hunt some of that down
forza orsi
bularry said:

I'm going to try to hunt some of that down

Haven't looked to see if they have this, but I have had a lot of good luck with Super Buy Rite in New Jersey
WILLIS
https://www.lastbottlewines.com/

They just email blasted a 2016 Brunello today.
bularry
WILLIS said:

https://www.lastbottlewines.com/

They just email blasted a 2016 Brunello today.
saw that.... just don't know that producer but probably a good deal
WILLIS
They just put up a Barolo today..

br53
For those on a budget try Folie A Deux Cabernet. It's about $25 at HEB and is excellent.
bularry
thinking of going to an offsite storage.

tbh, my collection is not that large or valuable but it is a hassle to take up an entire closet and not have consistent access without moving a bunch of stuff around. Plus, a couple of places I've looked into in Houston have lots of member events and tastings, etc. like a golf club for drunks...err wine aficionados

anyone have any experience with these places?
GoBearsGo
bularry said:

thinking of going to an offsite storage.

tbh, my collection is not that large or valuable but it is a hassle to take up an entire closet and not have consistent access without moving a bunch of stuff around. Plus, a couple of places I've looked into in Houston have lots of member events and tastings, etc. like a golf club for drunks...err wine aficionados

anyone have any experience with these places?
Following. I just installed a 56 bottle wine bar and it's full. I would to start buying more wine that I want to age, maybe a case or two a year and we don't have room to expand.
Stemperford
WILLIS said:

Love the taste of this wine.
GoBearsGo
Anyone drink any Eisele Vinyards? Might see it as Araujo?

We are going back out to Napa in November and our driver highly recommends them so we will try them out.
bularry
Eisele is old school. vineyards have changed hands a couple of times, but still should be pretty good and interesting
Marlin
Ok just found this thread and haven't read through the whole thing.
1) Have recently discovered Winespies.com. I really like their locker concept where you can just order a bottle or two and once you have accumulated a case, ships for free.
2) recently heard about Ft Ross in N. Cal. Right on the coast. Rave reviews, esp if you're a Pinot fan.

Thinking about a Napa trip this Dec, haven't been since 19'.
A long time buddy of mine works at William Harrison winery in Rutherford, the only wine club I belong to. Great juice, known for their Cab Franc.
That's it for now
GoBearsGo
Hitting up Napa for our 25th in November. Here is our itinerary. We have a driver who drives our rental. Some of these we are members or our friends are. Some are new to us. Let me know if you've visited any of these.

Thursday,
(Howell Mountain & Calistoga)
9:20AM Pickup at Vintage House at the Estate Yountville 6541 Washington Street, Yountville
10AM Seavy Vineyards
11:45AM Brasswood Restaurant Lunch
1:30PM Eisele Vineyard Tasting
3:00PM Shramsberg tasting & Tour
5:00PM Return to Vintage House
Friday,
(Yountville & Oakville)
9:40AM Pickup at Vintage House
10:00AM Blankiet Estate Wines
11:45AM Goosecross Vineyards
1:00PM Mustard Grill Lunch
2:30PM Rudd Estate Wines Gate code #0121
4:00PM Paradigm Cellars
5:15PM Return to Vintage House
Saturday,
(Yountville & Pritchard Hill)
9:45AM Pickup at Vintage House
10:00AM Kapscandy Estate
Noon Farmstead Restaurant Lunch
2:00 PM David Arthur Vineyards
3:30 PM Gandona Vineyards
5:30PM Return to Vintage House
forza orsi
GoBearsGo said:

Hitting up Napa for our 25th in November. Here is our itinerary. We have a driver who drives our rental. Some of these we are members or our friends are. Some are new to us. Let me know if you've visited any of these.

Thursday,
9:20AM Pickup at Vintage House at the Estate Yountville 6541 Washington Street, Yountville
10AM Seavy Vineyards
Friday,
(Yountville & Oakville)
Saturday,

You'll definitely get to try a lot of good wines. I don't think I could keep up with the schedule.
Marlin
I highly recommend Amizetta winery if you hit Howell Mountain. Family owned with Texas roots, good stuff. Amazing views.

https://www.amizetta.com/
GoBearsGo
forza orsi said:

GoBearsGo said:

Thursday,
10AM Seavy Vineyards
Friday,
(Yountville & Oakville)
Saturday,

You'll definitely get to try a lot of good wines. I don't think I could keep up with the schedule.
I am betting we will have some pallet fatigue by the end. Same with pocketbook fatigue.
GoBearsGo
Marlin said:

I highly recommend Amizetta winery if you hit Howell Mountain. Family owned with Texas roots, good stuff. Amazing views.

https://www.amizetta.com/
It was on the list.

We told the driver a few places we wanted, and the type and he developed a list of 5-6 each day. We then said we want this or that and the rest is up to you based on location and availability.
bularry
I'm a 2 or 3 tasting a day guy at this point. Just get too fatigued otherwise. plus I really don't enjoy any 11am appointments although I've done them

But the above trip looks like a lot of fun! Lots of cabs, for sure
bularry
so what clubs and lists to people belong/buy from?

Always interesting to list them out, I've got a few too many but here is my current standing

Liquid Farm - SBC Chard and Pinot
Ceritas - Sonoma Coast and Santa Cruz Chard, pinot and cabs
Stolpman - SBC/Ballard Canyon rhone blends plus an excellent chenin blanc and fun sangiovese
Adelaida - Paso - cabs, chard, pinot, syrah and zin
Limerick Lane - RRV/Sonoma zin
Domaine De la Cote - SBC pinot
Continuum - Napa (Pritchard Hill)
Southold Farms - Texas
Turley - zin from across CA
Sandlands - old vin wines; really love their red table wine, amador chenin blanc and trousseau. very small production. I buy most of what they offer and usually less than a case each season

forza orsi
bularry said:

so what clubs and lists to people belong/buy from?

Always interesting to list them out, I've got a few too many but here is my current standing

Liquid Farm - SBC Chard and Pinot
Ceritas - Sonoma Coast and Santa Cruz Chard, pinot and cabs
Stolpman - SBC/Ballard Canyon rhone blends plus an excellent chenin blanc and fun sangiovese
Adelaida - Paso - cabs, chard, pinot, syrah and zin
Limerick Lane - RRV/Sonoma zin
Domaine De la Cote - SBC pinot
Continuum - Napa (Pritchard Hill)
Southold Farms - Texas
Turley - zin from across CA
Sandlands - old vin wines; really love their red table wine, amador chenin blanc and trousseau. very small production. I buy most of what they offer and usually less than a case each season

Villa Creek - Paso (Possibly my favorite) Several wonderful red blends
Tobin James - Paso - Fat Boy Zinfandel, Silver Reserve Petite Syrah, James Gang Reserve Cab Franc (It's also a nice reminder of the most fun we ever had at a tasting.)
Mending Wall - Napa - Tournahu Cab and Stone on Stone white
Rutherford Hill - Napa - Terlato Pinot
Clos Pegase - Napa - Pegaso red blend and Mitsuko's chardonnay
J.R.
bularry said:

I'm a 2 or 3 tasting a day guy at this point. Just get too fatigued otherwise. plus I really don't enjoy any 11am appointments although I've done them

But the above trip looks like a lot of fun! Lots of cabs, for sure
I actually prefer early tastings. Hell, I've done a bunch at 9:00!! Palate is fresher, IMO. As far as clubs go, I only belong to 1. Rochioli. I do get first look at Kistler new releases. That is just a out the only US wines I drink other than Oregon Pinot. Bordeaux and Burgundy guy here!
J.R.
WILLIS said:

I see those every day and actually buy things from them. If you know what you are doing, you can get some great deals. Bought a case of Soave a couple weeks ago and it's great! I did sit through the big 2 day blowout. Ended up with 2 mixed cases. Alot of time for only 2 cases, but got some interesting stuff.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.