Wines - what are you holding/buying

56,077 Views | 416 Replies | Last: 7 days ago by bularry
J.R.
How long do you want to ignore this user?
ATXBear said:

I was at the WH-headquarter location today and saw several of the Kermit Lynch wines. They had the Morgon wine your referenced earlier. You may be done buying, but thought I'd let you know.
Thanks ATX, I'll be in Austin next week and will swing by the mothership to check it out. Nice find.
bularry
Kermit Lynch importers is pretty reliable
J.R.
yes, there are a couple of importers that generally are can't miss. Lynch is one. Eric Solomon is another. Terry Thiese is the master of all German Rieslings.
bularry
drank a couple of 2009 Napa reds over Easter weekend. the 2009 Gallica was drinking great. 90% cab. it was really the profile I enjoy in a bordeaux blend. nice fruit profile of black and blue and pleasant tobacco and cedar secondary flavors. also had a continuum, which I didn't like as much. I think it was around 72% cab with the rest mostly merlot. a little too much of the pruney/sweet/rich flavor underlying the fruit up front and finish felt hot, I think due to that sweetness I was picking up. it did have a little of that pencil lead in it which I really enjoy, so it certainly wasn't a simple wine.

both were approachable and the tannins had resolved fairly well. clearly well made wines. If you have this vintage I'd taste/drink in the next 24 months.

Anyone ever visited Gallica? very small production and owned by the winemaker Rosemary Cakebread who cut her teeth at Spottswoode. I sent her an email a week ago asking if the 2009 would be approachable and I got a very nice response from her and her marketing guy. I do love the small wineries.
J.R.
Larry,

I agree...I can't stand the sappy, prune, Portish taste of those over the top cali cabs. Do you know any reasonable cali cabs that are really good? I just don't know that much about them anymore. I really like Corison Cab, but it's gotten really expensive. I'm looking for a really good, balance cali cab to go with a grilled steak. that is a hard match to beat.
ATXBear
Let's bring this thread back from the dead! I started a new job a month ago and haven't had much time for this board. My recommendation is Ramspeck Merlot, Napa ($18.99) I know most don't care for merlot, but this one leans on the more full bodied side. Good old-school structure and taste.
J.R.
ATXBear said:

Let's bring this thread back from the dead! I started a new job a month ago and haven't had much time for this board. My recommendation is Ramspeck Merlot, Napa ($18.99) I know most don't care for merlot, but this one leans on the more full bodied side. Good old-school structure and taste.
i loves me some good Merlot! I'll give it a spin. What vintage?
ATXBear
2013. I've been buying it at Central Market
WILLIS
This thread has been fascinating to read through. I'm far from a big collector or anything but my in laws gave my wife and I a membership to William Chris vineyard out in Hye, TX so my appreciation has really come a long ways. Weve taken a lot of day trips from Austin.

I guess I'm the opposite as I don't really store wines but do enjoy a good bold cab. Have a few bottles of 2009 modus operandi and I thought the one I've had so far was fantastic.

bularry
I haven't had much Texas wine over the past several years, but I have read good things about William Chris winery. Aggie though, so beware
ATXBear
I don't drink much Texas wine either as I haven't found one that I think is worth the price tag. But he's the one producer that I've heard great things about as well.
bularry
I broke open my first '13 of my Reynvaan order. On the rocks Syrah

Holy hell what a nice wine. Tons of funk on the nose. Can't wait to see where this goes over the next few years.
CTCBear
Fredericksburg really has some good wine coming out recently. William Chris does a great job with my favorite probably being the Mandola. Its a nice take on an italian red blend.

Hilmy is another that is worth the visit.

That being said....Calais Winery in Hye is incredible. Mostly traditional french style wine. Very small shop but a great stop if your in the area.
bularry
Calais makes rhone wines, right? What is price point?
CTCBear
You are correct. Price point is upper twenties up to 100+.

https://www.calaiswinery.com/
bularry
For those that enjoy Italian wines done right, great house wine rec. 2015 Guidobono Langhe Nebbiolo

Beautiful young wine. Piedmont character. Great with food. Grown just outside of the Barolo designated area. Earthy, fruity and floral. Long finish.

$15 and big volume so it's accessible
CTCBear
Speaking of Italian reds....

Anyone have a rec for a decently priced Brunello di Montalcino? Its all my Boss drinks and I need to get a gift bottle or two.
bularry
I don't. I don't really understand the fascination with this varietal personally, so I'm not a great resource
CTCBear
Agreed....

I think he doesn't really know anything about wine but wants to sound sophisticated when he tells people what he likes.

bularry
CTCBear said:

Agreed....

I think he doesn't really know anything about wine but wants to sound sophisticated when he tells people what he likes.

better than saying "Silver Oak" cab or something like that
forza orsi
CTCBear said:

Speaking of Italian reds....

Anyone have a rec for a decently priced Brunello di Montalcino? Its all my Boss drinks and I need to get a gift bottle or two.
I'm not sure what you consider "decently priced", but I have had Renieri a few times and enjoyed it. You can get it in the $30's. The reserve is really nice, but the price is a good bit higher, $60s to around $100, depending on the vintage.
forza orsi
bularry said:

For those that enjoy Italian wines done right, great house wine rec. 2015 Guidobono Langhe Nebbiolo

Beautiful young wine. Piedmont character. Great with food. Grown just outside of the Barolo designated area. Earthy, fruity and floral. Long finish.

Thanks. I do enjoy the Italian wines. One of my "go to" wines when we entertain, where I want to have something tasty but don't want to go through a bunch of expensive bottles, is Allegrini's Palazzo della Torre, which is a Veronese. It's about 70% Corvino Veronese, 25% Rondinella, and 5% Sangiovese. It's typically $16-$20 per bottle.
bularry
forza orsi said:

bularry said:

Thanks. I do enjoy the Italian wines. One of my "go to" wines when we entertain, where I want to have something tasty but don't want to go through a bunch of expensive bottles, is Allegrini's Palazzo della Torre, which is a Veronese. It's about 70% Corvino Veronese, 25% Rondinella, and 5% Sangiovese. It's typically $16-$20 per bottle.

Yeah, that Palazzo is consistent and available at HEB. Double win
bularry
Pinot night tonight. Opened two to enjoy with some barbecue chicken

1). Copain Monument Tree 2011. Classic Anderson Valley flavor profile. Color starting to show a touch of brick. Lots to like. Firm in the mouth. Nice touch of tannins. Crisp red fruit. Complex flavor profile

2). 2013 the Gardner Carneros Pinot from a favorite producer of mine, although this is the first Pinot of theirs I've tried. Horse and Plow makes their higher end stuff under the Gardener label. This is all organic fruit from the Three Amigos vineyard. Like Copain, they strive for old world mentality with new world juice. Bright and clear in the glass. This one is a touch richer in the palate. Brighter red fruit. None of the earthy/decomposing fruit aromas like Anderson Valley gives. Very clear and focused. Really nice acidic balance, goes great with the food

Hearty thumbs up for both of these wines. I think the Copain was around 54 and the Gardener was $32
ATXBear
Silver Ghost Cabernet is a rich, smooth, medium to full bodied, with a healthy amount of fruit. For $32 this is a solid buy IMHO if you want a good cali Cab without throwing down $70 plus.
WILLIS
Anyone been really happy with a particular wine cellar/fridge? The Wife and I were talking about finding something besides an empty dresser currently being used to store bottles in. We keep our house at ~78 during the day in summer so probably would be a good idea to keep the wine cooled down a bit.
bularry
Willis, luck of the draw. How many bottle fridge you looking for? Most people say get a single zone and you don't want any vibration. There are several brands.

Sometimes they last 10 years, sometimes 2.
WILLIS
Oh let's say 30-50
bularry
WILLIS said:

Oh let's say 30-50

I'd watch for sales on 50 bottle size at Sams or Costco. Do some research on the types of cooling systems. Vibrations are bad if the wine is going to be in there several months
bularry
Bummer news this week, the only cult wine I buy sold out. Schrader sold to Constellation. I buy a couple of these a year as a splurge but I guess 15 will be the last
J.R.
forza orsi said:

bularry said:

That wine is great year in and year out. The price is spot on. Banff make a wine called Centine that is about $10 a bottle and is also really good every year.
J.R.
bularry said:

Pinot night tonight. Opened two to enjoy with some barbecue chicken

1). Copain Monument Tree 2011. Classic Anderson Valley flavor profile. Color starting to show a touch of brick. Lots to like. Firm in the mouth. Nice touch of tannins. Crisp red fruit. Complex flavor profile

2). 2013 the Gardner Carneros Pinot from a favorite producer of mine, although this is the first Pinot of theirs I've tried. Horse and Plow makes their higher end stuff under the Gardener label. This is all organic fruit from the Three Amigos vineyard. Like Copain, they strive for old world mentality with new world juice. Bright and clear in the glass. This one is a touch richer in the palate. Brighter red fruit. None of the earthy/decomposing fruit aromas like Anderson Valley gives. Very clear and focused. Really nice acidic balance, goes great with the food

Hearty thumbs up for both of these wines. I think the Copain was around 54 and the Gardener was $32
Had a Stoller Willamatte Valley(15) tonight with some lamb chops. Pretty tasty for $15 at Costco. Hey Larry, Try Rose with BBQ Chicken!!!! yum
bularry
I'm a big rose fan. wife and I drink a lot of it.
J.R.
that's about all I drink in the summer.
forza orsi
The original post asked about clubs and allocations participated in.

As for clubs, I am in Villa Creek's Club, which is a Paso Robles winery. Also a small winery, but the owner does several interesting blends. His James Berry "High Road" is my personal favorite. It is 40% syrah, 40% grenache, and 20% mourvedre. Very rich. Lots of flavor but not heavy, if that makes sense. They also have a very nice blend they call "Avenger" which is 60% syrah, 30% mourvedre, and 10% grenache. More complex, in my opinion. We had a great afternoon hanging out with the owner 10 or so years ago (we were the only guests that afternoon) and went ahead and did the club and we still enjoy seeing it arrive.

We're also members of Tobin James' club, also a Paso Robles winery. Also a great fun afternoon there, the reason we're in the club, but we definitely enjoy their wines.. We especially like their "Fat Boy" zinfandel. Very full bodied.

We've been to Napa a half dozen times or so, and that's still our preferred place to go (possibly more for the food) but the wineries in Paso Robles are much more relaxed and more fun.

As for allocations, I really like Vincent Arroyo's petite syrah and typically take a case in their annual allocation. It's a small winery on the north end of Napa Valley, on the north side of Calistoga. Very little retail distribution, as almost all goes on the initial allocation. It's a good place for a tour if you're in Napa Valley. It's not fancy at all, but the staff is very laid back and loves the work and the product.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.