Wines - what are you holding/buying

56,279 Views | 416 Replies | Last: 13 days ago by bularry
Fat Daddy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Reading this and trying to learn is more than my brain can take.... but appreciate everyone's input.... should help me going forward as I know absolutley nothing about wine!

With that being said, I recently attended a fund raising event and rheybhad a wine pull... you pay $30 and pull a cork with a number and get the corresponding bottle. Every bottle was supposed to have a retail value of at least $30.

Here is what I got ---

2013 Ghost Block Cabernet Sauvignon
Yountville - Napa Valley
Single Vineyard

2013 Kamen Syrah
Estate Grown
Moon Mountain District
Sonoma County

How did I do?? What did I get??

I already read where ATX isn't a fan of Ghost Block... But other than that how is it?
ATXBear
I think Ghost Block usually retails for around $70 or more depending which Lot, year, etc. sounds like you gotta steal if the rules were $30. I should've clarified my comments as GB is a very solid Napa Cab. The bottle I had was around $90 and simply I didn't think it warranted that price level.
bularry
you rich and connected Texans need to contact your state legislators in support of HB 2291 that will allow Texans to order wine from out of state retailers.

Let's get this passed!
ATXBear
Do you know who's carrying this bill? Would love for it to pass, but I'm not optimistic based on my time in the Lege. The distribution lobby is very strong. Hell, my old boss held the gavel in the Senate and he pushed behind the scenes multiple times for various wine bills and they got little traction.
bularry
Don't remember the name. A R out of dfw area

i have the name, Matt Rinaldi. I think another rep has also signed on as co-author but I don't have that name.
ATXBear
Alright fellas-- gotta question for you on my wine purchase for the weekend. If you had $50 to $75 to spend on a bottle of red (I know that price is a fart in the wind for the Highland Park crowd) what would you buy? A few parameters-- it will be consumed with red meat--so i'm looking for something on the bigger side. However-- it must have enough fruit for my wife who prefers pinot and fruit forward red's. Appreciate any recommendations you all have.
J.R.
Red meat prepared how and what kind? Beef? Lamb? What cut? It actually matters
bularry
hmmm ATX, I'm trying to think of something I've had in that price range recently I really liked that would fit the bill.

I'm drawing a blank, give me a few moments. One that was cheaper than your target but you might like - you had much Rioja? versatile with meat dishes and of high quality is the 2012 Cune Gran Reserve is $30 and fairly widely available. just released but approachable after a bit of air. I really liked it. I also had the Reserva which is a few bucks cheaper and it was a dang fine wine, too.

For Cali Pinot, recently had a Ceritas '14 single vineyard. started with an H from Sonoma Coast. I think would be at the very top of your range if you can find it, but damn was it good. not sure I'd call it fruity, but an excellent pinot.

If you want a cab, a very consistent Napa producer is the Frog's Leap Rutherford. '14 is really nice and you can drink it now. Probably about $45

From Washington State, I've seen some Upchurch Cabs from '13 at local retail. Maybe you could find it, around $60. Outstanding wine
ATXBear
Likely buying Prime Filets or Ny Strips. Will cook them using the reverse sear method and seared with a cast iron pan at the end.
ATXBear
Bularry-- thanks for your recommendations!
J.R.
Larry has some good recs, particularly the Cune. The 2010 is available and is fantastic and has a little more age on it.

Orin Swift, Machete 2014 -$50 from the guy that created the Prisoner. This is a blend of Petit Syrah, Syrah and Mouvedre. Big and Fruity

Neyer's Left Bank Red 2014 Napa - 50-50 blend of Cab/Merlot $30

Lemelson Pinot Noir, Thea's 2014

I don't drink a whole lot of Cali Cab, but I do think a really good one is awesome with steak, hence the Neyers rec. All of these should be available.
ATXBear
These all look great! Between your recs and Larry's recs, I've got plenty of options. May end up trying 2 or 3 of them. Hopefully enjoying one of them after BU wins to go to the Final 4.
643 Bears
The Machete is a good rec if you're looking for something big with a lot of fruit, but one warning--you may need to be prepared to scratch off the label depending on your guests...

My local guy puts a few aside when he gets it in and scratches of the labels for me--wife loves the wine but definitely doesn't dig the label. The Orin Swift Papillon is very good and similar, but without the label hassle

Two other categories come immediately to mind given your description--Rhone style wine (GSM) from Paso Robles and perhaps McClaren Vale Shiraz. In that price point, I'd consider Mollydooker Blue Eyed Boy or Carnival of Love (if you can find it) for the Australian Shiraz. For the GSM, maybe the Tablas Creek Esprit de Beaucastle or Bonny Doon Le Cigar Volante. All of which should be in your price range.

But here's my secret when I serve wine with steak for friends who love big California red. The Paring is the 2nd label of Jonata, which is owned by the former Screaming Eagles guys. It's less than <$25/bottle and my guests always think I'm pouring the expensive stuff. I'm with JR in that I personally prefer Bordeaux and less high alcohol/fruit bomb of California Cab, but I do still enjoy it and think the QPR of The Paring is off the chart. Needs about an hour in the decanter but it's excellent for the price.
643 Bears
bularry said:

hmmm ATX, I'm trying to think of something I've had in that price range recently I really liked that would fit the bill.

I'm drawing a blank, give me a few moments. One that was cheaper than your target but you might like - you had much Rioja? versatile with meat dishes and of high quality is the 2012 Cune Gran Reserve is $30 and fairly widely available. just released but approachable after a bit of air. I really liked it. I also had the Reserva which is a few bucks cheaper and it was a dang fine wine, too.

For Cali Pinot, recently had a Ceritas '14 single vineyard. started with an H from Sonoma Coast. I think would be at the very top of your range if you can find it, but damn was it good. not sure I'd call it fruity, but an excellent pinot.

If you want a cab, a very consistent Napa producer is the Frog's Leap Rutherford. '14 is really nice and you can drink it now. Probably about $45

From Washington State, I've seen some Upchurch Cabs from '13 at local retail. Maybe you could find it, around $60. Outstanding wine

That Upchurch is a great rec--but I'm curious where you are finding it at local retail. Both the '12 and '13 are great but I've had a hard time finding any lately. Glad you brought up Washington Cab--some good stuff there and way better value than California. The Red Mountain wines are great, but I really like the Horse Heaven Hills area. Haven't done a Washington wine trip but might need to do that.
ATXBear
Thank you for all the recs! Didn't know so many on this board enjoyed wine as much as I do. I will be careful with the Machete wine as I don't want questions from the wife or any of my baptist friends. I used to drink a lot of If you See Kay that is made by Jayson Woodbridge of 100 acres and that label raised a few eye brows. It's an Italian cab blend and on a good day it's great for the price (around 18.99 and extremely smooth).

Starting to learn about Bordeaux's but I hear you need to spend a few extra bucks to get something decent. Also a big fan of Washington State Cabs. I like the earthy taste and structure to some of them. As far as Australia goes, I like "The Scribbler" by Yalumba. They make a lot of everyday wines, but this one is a great crowd please wine for $18 bucks.

Thanks again to all have a commented on this post! Let's keep it going!
J.R.
Generally speaking, Bordeaux will cost you some coin, however not always. I tasted and bought a case of Chateaux Villars 2009 (never heard of it) yesterday for $23. It was really, really good. Sigel's/Fitzhugh. Also, bought a case of Chateaux Poujeaux 2010 for $34. Vintage really matters in Bordeaux. 09,10 were both outstanding, so lesser wines have a greater chance of being special.
bularry
643, the '12 Pairing was great value wine

JR, that is about the only way I can buy Bordeaux, I have to taste it. I don't know enough to pick it out
J.R.
bularry said:

643, the '12 Pairing was great value wine

JR, that is about the only way I can buy Bordeaux, I have to taste it. I don't know enough to pick it out
Indeed. I buy most wine by the case, and I pretty much taste everything before I commit.
ATXBear
I went to Specs here in Austin in search of yalls recommendations. I found Machete and the other Orin Swift wine, but couldn't find most of the others on the list. Was surprised as Specs has a good combo of corporate and boutique vineyards. I ended up getting Machete and Pazzo--which is a california Sangiovese ($25). Will hit up a few other places tomorow (time permitting) to look for the others. Y'all must have better wine stores in Dallas and Houston as this isn't the first time I can't find something I've had at a great restaurant or a recommendation from a Wino. Definetly a first-world problem .
bularry
ATX, go to Austin Wine Merchant and tell them. They could find something that will match profile

For machete alternative. For Zins I really like Ridge blends or some wines from the Rockpile vineyard in Sonoma. Hartford makes a Haywire zin that is consistently excellent
ATXBear
New QPR wine: Oregon Pinot: Elouan (17.99 at Trader Joes).

I'm not usually a big Pinot fan, but I wanted something to go with Salmon so I gave this one a try. This isn't your typical fruit-bomb/strawberry flavored cheap tasting Pinot. Darker fruit with good structure and a little earthiness at the end. Found out after the fact that this wine is made by Wagner of Caymus. Would like to know what the Pinot fans on here think about this one as I haven't had much Pinot during my Wino years.
bularry
Quality red - Sebastiani Gravel bed 2014. About $27. Approachable and nice balanced blue fruit
J.R.
Sebastian makes good juice. Zin is always good.
bularry
J.R. said:

Sebastian makes good juice. Zin is always good.
they've jumped up considerably since Foley bought them. He actually cares about quality, which is nice.
Dubbicans
Any of you fellas ever done the "Tour De Franzia?"

i can assure you every box is approachable.
J.R.
Dubbicans said:

Any of you fellas ever done the "Tour De Franzia?"

i can assure you every box is approachable.
I prefer 2 buck chuck, 2 buck tour. Gallo's massive industrial factory is very quaint.
ATXBear
Solid Red Wine: Raisins Gaulois, Marcel Lapierre. Paid $16.99 at Whole Foods, which means its probably a $12.99 wine at most other places. This is a solid Beaujolais blend (extremely drinkable) that has a lot of fruit and just enough french oak and pepper to balance it out. I've read that some Wino's across the pound think this is one of the best QPR's in the world for the price. Cheers!

J.R.
ATXBear said:

Solid Red Wine: Raisins Gaulois, Marcel Lapierre. Paid $16.99 at Whole Foods, which means its probably a $12.99 wine at most other places. This is a solid Beaujolais blend (extremely drinkable) that has a lot of fruit and just enough french oak and pepper to balance it out. I've read that some Wino's across the pound think this is one of the best QPR's in the world for the price. Cheers!

Hold on pal.....you got Lapierre at Wf? which Lapierre? Morgon? What year. I"m been really looking for it and can't find it. What local?
J.R.
ATXBear said:

J.R.
J.R. said:

ATXBear said:

So what you had was 100% Gamay grape from one the the very best producers in Beaujolais. That guy is a rock star. I'm chasing a lot his stuff just this week. Better chance of that being spectacular imo that a lot of red burgs that are 4 times the price. Get more or tell me where it is.
ATXBear
The one I had was a 2014 from WF on Research in Austin. They've had it for months at this location and I finally grabbed one tonight. I'd say they had about 10 bottles left. I wonder if WF will ship it to you directly? Happy to help get these to you if you're intersted. Here's a link to the site that matches the bottle I had. https://shop.kermitlynch.com/product/detail/14FLM02.html
J.R.
Thanks. I own a company that ships product to WFs. I can get it.
ATXBear
Nice-- wish I owned my own company. You mentioned he makes other wines that are very good. Are they affordable and can I find them in Austin?
J.R.
ATXBear said:

Nice-- wish I owned my own company. You mentioned he makes other wines that are very good. Are they affordable and can I find them in Austin?
He makes only Beaujolais from a few different vineyards. There are what's called the gang of 4 in Beaujolais which are the high end producers and he's one. The others a Jean Foulard, Jean Paul Thevent, and Jules Chavet. You got ahold of some stuff that's fairly hard to find. I got the rest of it, btw.
ATXBear
I was at the WH-headquarter location today and saw several of the Kermit Lynch wines. They had the Morgon wine your referenced earlier. You may be done buying, but thought I'd let you know.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.