Wines - what are you holding/buying

27,194 Views | 287 Replies | Last: 6 days ago by J.R.
forza orsi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
EnglishBear said:

GoBearsGo said:

Headed to Napa Valley in April. I am a member of Groth and Davis Estates. I will probably drop Groth as I can find it at HEB now.

What are some of your favorites places to visit? I'd like to find a few spots that are high quality limited production.

Hourglass, just off the Silverado Trail outside Calistoga

Heading south from there, Mending Wall on the Silverado Trail btw Saint Helena and Calistoga

A little further south, Seavey on Conn Valley just east of Saint Helena

Most southerly and easterly (and way most spendy), Continuum outside of Rutherford. They only make two wines a year, and it's not cheap, but it's not quite Staglin prices.

ETA: I haven't been up there in a couple years and can't confirm that these places are all open post-fires and with Covid protocols. But you'd be reaching out to them for appointments anyway so easy to check. Have a great trip!

Got back from Napa on Monday. Thanks for the Mending Wall recommendation. Really nice wines and a great tasting experience. The tasting host spent the last 6 years working directly with the chief winemaker there, and was really great. I say thanks, but probably spent too much on an order. Really good stuff. The Tournahu cab was outstanding and the Oakville Ranch even better. Picked up some of each. The Stone on Stone white blend was nice. I really like good dark reds, but we eat seafood 4-5 nights per week, so I actually ordered the most of this one.

I tried to get a Seavey appointment, and they acknowledged my request and said they'd get back to me with a time, but never heard back.
bularry
GoBearsGo said:

any of ya'll in Houston use any type of offsite storage? If so where and what do you look for?

I use a closet

Frankly, my 350 bottles aren't worth enough to justify the monthly cost, but if I had more dough I'd do either NCV or AoC. Both do great events for their members
WILLIS

J.R.
WILLIS said:

from the late great Gil Nickel (BU Grad)!!!
GoBearsGo
J.R. said:

WILLIS said:

All the info I see is he went to OSU.
bularry
Santa Ynez valley was great!

If you like wine trips, I highly recommend. I did 4 tasting where I was chatting with the owner or winemaker (sometimes same person). That don't happen in Napa (at least not much). Helps if you like chard/pinot
bularry

New winery for me that we experienced out in Los Olivos. Husband and wife team. Make some very interesting sauv. blanc in addition to several pinots.

small production so doubt anyone here has ever tried it/heard of it?
J.R.
GoBearsGo said:

J.R. said:

WILLIS said:

All the info I see is he went to OSU.
I had always heard he was from Oklahoma and owned a nursery and got into the wine trade and went to bu. could be wrong.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.