Football
Sponsored by

* * Dallas Cowboys * *

2,093,716 Views | 29773 Replies | Last: 8 hrs ago by BearkatBear
Assassin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Possibly the most valuable player in the history of the Dallas Cowboy franchise when it comes to doing his job:

Cowboys re-signed LS L.P. Ladouceur to a one-year contract. It will be Ladouceur's 14th season with the Cowboys. He hasn't had a bad snap since joining the team in 2005.

Assassin
Suh is checking out the Rams. We dont have a shot at him - waaaay too much cost. Still a force at DT. Just thinking about he and Aaron Donald in the DL - dang!
Assassin
BtB:

Cowboys hosting guard Marcus Martin and offensive tackle Cameron Fleming. It looks like the Cowboys will also be looking at Fleming's teammate LaAdrian Waddle. Waddle is also an offensive tackle.

Additionally, the Cowboys are looking at a couple of wide receivers.

Offensive linemen Cameron Fleming, Marcus Martin and LaAdrian Waddle are expected at The Star this week. Wide receivers Dontrelle Inman and Justin Hunter are also expected to visit.

The addition of either Fleming or Waddle could be viewed as an attempt to have a better swing tackle than the failed experiments of last season. Or, as has been speculated, the Cowboys could be interested in moving La'el Collins back to guard. Both Fleming and Waddle have starting experience and both started games in the Patriots playoff run of 2017.

Justin Hunter is a former second-round pick in the 2013 draft who has bounced around to a few teams after initially playing with the Tennessee Titans. Hunter has a lot of physical gifts with size and athleticism, but has never really had a breakout season.

Dontrelle Inman has had one pretty big season in 2016 with the Chargers, 58 catches for 810 yards. He's also bounced around for a few teams and has the physical profile the Cowboys like in a receiver (over 6 foot).
Assassin
As we are looking at OTs, I wonder if that may mean that with our new OL coach Paul Alexander, he DOES have thoughts of moving Collins back to RG
Assassin
Here are the remaining best FAs as of yesterday;

Best Available RB: DeMarco Murray, Frank Gore

Best Available WR: Terrelle Pryor, Jordan Matthews, Mike Wallace

Best Available TE: Martellus Bennett, Eric Ebron, Antonio Gates, Ben Watson

Best Available Edge: Junior Galette, Kony Ealy, Pernell McPhee, Elvis Dumervil

Best Available DT: Ndamukong Suh, Johnathan Hankins, Bennie Logan, Dominique Easley, Nick Fairley, Jay Bromley, Sylvester Williams

Best Available CB: E.J. Gaines, Bashaud Breeland

Best Available S: Morgan Burnett, Eric Reid, Kenny Vaccaro, Tyvon Branch
Assassin
Add Arizona to the list of teams wanting a QB this draft. Good for us. They are talking to teams about moving to 3rd of 4th to get ahead of Denver to take Josh Allen.
Assassin
Fish:

OG Jonathan Cooper is still unsigned, and there has not been any reports of interest elsewhere. He came in and was at least serviceable after the failed Chaz Green experiment. Re-signing their own is always a key part of free agency for Dallas. Cooper would provide more depth going into camp this summer. And it is not an either/or situation for the Cowboys. They may elect to go after both Martin (who also can play center) and Cooper. It would be expected that any signings involving them would come with a low get-out cost should the team decide they are not the answer they need - and they still will need at least one guard added for depth even if they get their starter in the draft
Assassin
Besides our new OL coach, we also have a new DB coach Kris Richard. May determine who they bring back and who they contact (Kenny Vacaro? Reid?) in FA
BearForce
Assassin said:

As we are looking at OTs, I wonder if that may mean that with our new OL coach Paul Alexander, he DOES have thoughts of moving Collins back to RG

Say it ain't so
Franko
I don't know where to put this, but it is Cowboys related, so I'll put it here. Former Cowboys and Lions OL Aaron Gibson, once the heaviest player in the NFL, moved in next door to me. He played at over 400 lbs, but is now about 280 lbs. He looks great, but man, he can barely walk from all the football injuries he sustained. He can't even walk the trash cans out to the street for trash pick up. It is kind of sad, really.
2021-2023 Adopt-A-Bear
Anthony Anywanwu
cumulative stats:
2022 (Redshirt Sophomore)
Named second-team Academic All-Big 12 … Played in nine games off the bench, totaling seven tackles, including 1.5 for a loss … Went for three tackles, including a tackle for a loss in the win over Texas State … Had a stop at Iowa State … Had three tackles, including half a tackle for a loss, at West Virginia.
GoldMind
Franko said:

I don't know where to put this, but it is Cowboys related, so I'll put it here. Former Cowboys and Lions OL Aaron Gibson, once the heaviest player in the NFL, moved in next door to me. He played at over 400 lbs, but is now about 280 lbs. He looks great, but man, he can barely walk from all the football injuries he sustained. He can't even walk the trash cans out to the street for trash pick up. It is kind of sad, really.
Whats he do for a living now?
Assassin
BearForce said:

Assassin said:

Say it ain't so
Guess it would depend on who they sign in FA, then how the draft falls. Not sure that a OT would be ranked higher for them than OG. And neither as high as a WR - or DT if we lose Irving. Still hoping for Hernandez in Rd 2. Not sure he will last to 50 though and 19 is too high
Assassin
Franko said:

Its something we loved. We made the choice to play sports. And Aaron made a damn good living doing it.

I had two knee operations playing ball in college. My first was the first week of practice. I probably spent more time at the trainers table then I did in practice. That one healed and I did it again the next spring. Knee still gives way at any given moment.

Franko
GoldMind said:

Franko said:

Whats he do for a living now?
He owns a security company.
2021-2023 Adopt-A-Bear
Anthony Anywanwu
cumulative stats:
2022 (Redshirt Sophomore)
Named second-team Academic All-Big 12 … Played in nine games off the bench, totaling seven tackles, including 1.5 for a loss … Went for three tackles, including a tackle for a loss in the win over Texas State … Had a stop at Iowa State … Had three tackles, including half a tackle for a loss, at West Virginia.
BaylorProud77
Assassin said:

Suh is checking out the Rams. We dont have a shot at him - waaaay too much cost. Still a force at DT. Just thinking about he and Aaron Donald in the DL - dang!
Great dream, That would be so great.
BaylorProud77
Assassin said:

Best Available DT: Ndamukong Suh, Johnathan Hankins, Bennie Logan, Dominique Easley, Nick Fairley, Jay Bromley, Sylvester Williams

well we know we won't be taking Bennett! or DeMarco Murray
BearForce
Assassin said:

I can't believe Ben Watson is still around
Assassin
BearForce said:

Assassin said:

Off that list the affordable for us that I might like, Bennie Logan and Kenny Vaccaro.
BearForce
Assassin said:

BearForce said:

Assassin said:

Off that list the affordable for us that I might like, Bennie Logan and Kenny Vaccaro.

We need someone like Vaccaro with Jones moving back to CB. Otherwise we may be forced to get a S early in the draft.
BaylorProud77
Assassin said:

Alfred Morris worked behind RB/FB Rod Smith in the Cowboys' running back order at minicamp and has stayed behind Smith in training camp.
No relation to the ex-Broncos receiver, Smith is a third-year UDFA out of Ohio State. The Cowboys have clearly soured on Morris and his lack of versatility, demoting him to fourth on the depth chart behind Zeke Elliott, Darren McFadden, and now Smith. Even with a potential suspension hanging over Elliott's head, Morris is far from a good bet to make Dallas' 53-man roster.
Source: Todd Archer on Twitter
I can see that
Assassin
BearForce said:

Assassin said:

BearForce said:

Assassin said:

We need someone like Vaccaro with Jones moving back to CB. Otherwise we may be forced to get a S early in the draft.
I think so. Pretty sure they want to use X in the S spot. Assuming they move BJ to CB, then maybe Cheeto to S unless they think Kavon Frazier has enough to take it over
Assassin
Redskins signed CB Orlando Scandrick to a two-year contract.

Per NFL Network's Ian Rapoport, the deal has a max value of $10 million. Scandrick's play has slipped in recent years, primarily due to injuries. He just turned 31 years old and will replace Kendall Fuller as Washington's slot corner. Fantasy leaguers should proactively start slot receivers against the Skin this year.
Assassin
this is kinda strange - remember Smith just signed a FA deal with Oakland?

=========

Just a few days after seeing their starting fullback sign a free agent deal with the Raiders, the Cowboys have already found a replacement -- and from the same team.

The Cowboys have traded for six-year veteran Jamize Olawale, who has been with Oakland since 2012. The Cowboys sent Oakland one of their two fifth-round picks (No. 173 overall) in exchange for both Olawale and one of the Raiders' six sixth-round picks (No. 192 overall). That now gives the Cowboys three picks in the sixth round.

Olawale (6-0, 235) joined the Raiders from the Cowboys' practice squad back in 2012. He impressed during his rookie training camp, but the Cowboys cut him at the end of camp in order to keep Phillip Tanner. He spent several months on the practice squad in Dallas, before Oakland signed him in December of that season. Since then, he has played 77 games, starting 11. Olawale has scored seven touchdowns four rushing and three receiving, including a 75-yard touchdown catch in 2016.

He's also a valuable special teams player, something the Cowboys will certainly need after losing both Smith and veteran linebacker Kyle Wilber, who also signed with the Raiders.
Assassin
Broadus on BFs favorite TE:
  • Name: Mark Andrews
  • Position: Tight End
  • College: Oklahoma
  • Height/Weight: 6-5 / 256
  • Honors: Andrews made first-team All-Big 12 in each of his final three years at Oklahoma, and in 2017 he added first-team All-American honors and the Mackey Award (nation's best tight end) to his list of accolades.
  • Key Stat: Andrews averaged 15.8 yards per catch in 40 games at Oklahoma, proof of his ability as a downfield pass-catching threat.

Where He's Projected:
  • Most draft observers view Andrews as a Day 2 selection, though some believe he could sneak into the late first round because he fits the NFL's new tight end prototype as a mismatch nightmare receiver. Andrews reportedly was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes when he was nine years old and has been able to manage the disease throughout his football career.

How He Helps The Cowboys:
  • The Cowboys are committed to making the offense "Dak Friendly" so what about adding another pass-catching tight end prospect to develop behind seemingly ageless Pro Bowler Jason Witten? Andrews was the go-to guy for top quarterback prospect Baker Mayfield, and nearly 20 percent of his 112 career catches at OU went for touchdowns, according to the Sooners' official web site. The question is whether Andrews can develop into a complete tight end. His blocking isn't a strength, and the Cowboys ask a lot from their tight ends in a run-first system.

• Physically impressive guy on tape. Will occasionally line up as an inline player. Plays with some pop.
  • Knows how to position himself in order to keep his man from the ball. Works hard to extend and control. Knows when to release his hands from the outside of the defender.
  • Can stay with his block on the edge. Not bad in space. Stays in balance.
  • Does a good job with his escape. He's not the quickness guy up the field. Takes him some time to get in and out of his routes.
  • Soft hands, catches the ball easily. Knows how to find space in the red zone. Would not call him the most athletic tight end but causes problems due to his size.
BearForce
Assassin said:

=========

Just a few days after seeing their starting fullback sign a free agent deal with the Raiders, the Cowboys have already found a replacement -- and from the same team.

The Cowboys have traded for six-year veteran Jamize Olawale, who has been with Oakland since 2012. The Cowboys sent Oakland one of their two fifth-round picks (No. 173 overall) in exchange for both Olawale and one of the Raiders' six sixth-round picks (No. 192 overall). That now gives the Cowboys three picks in the sixth round.

Olawale (6-0, 235) joined the Raiders from the Cowboys' practice squad back in 2012. He impressed during his rookie training camp, but the Cowboys cut him at the end of camp in order to keep Phillip Tanner. He spent several months on the practice squad in Dallas, before Oakland signed him in December of that season. Since then, he has played 77 games, starting 11. Olawale has scored seven touchdowns four rushing and three receiving, including a 75-yard touchdown catch in 2016.

He's also a valuable special teams player, something the Cowboys will certainly need after losing both Smith and veteran linebacker Kyle Wilber, who also signed with the Raiders.

So we gave a way a 5th for a spare....we just never learn.
Assassin
BearForce said:

Assassin said:

=========

We did get a 6th back. Wonder if its a conditional trade? Him making the team?

BearForce
Assassin said:

BearForce said:

Assassin said:

=========

We use the FB position once in a blue moon...to trade away a 5th round pick, even getting a 6th back, just seems silly to me when a guy like Swaim was supposed to be an H-back anyway.
Assassin
BearForce said:

Assassin said:

BearForce said:

Assassin said:

=========

We use the FB position once in a blue moon...to trade away a 5th round pick, even getting a 6th back, just seems silly to me when a guy like Swaim was supposed to be an H-back anyway.
Definately wont argue with you on that point. I'd rather keep a backup RB that can play special teams
BearForce
Assassin said:

BearForce said:

Assassin said:

BearForce said:

Assassin said:

=========

Definately wont argue with you on that point. I'd rather keep a backup RB that can play special teams

I would feel different if we truly were a base I-formation offense but we aren't and won't be with Dak going forward.

Apparently this guy is a decent receiving RB but given how we use our FBs, it doesn't help IMHO.
BearForce
A guy we might want to kick the tires on at WR:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/03/20/jaguars-releasing-allen-hurns/
Assassin
A couple of years too late. Absolutely disgusting rule;

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/03/20/troy-vincent-outlines-potential-catch-rule-changes/
Assassin
BearForce said:

big kid - 6'3.
Gust Avrakotos
BF....77, would really like to hear your thoughts here.

How is it that every other team in the league (including a Redskins team that has been in salary cap hell) has the money to go out and spend in free agency, yet we are always on the freaking brink of cap space?

Is it because Jerry overpays our stars like Dez, Witten, Smith, etc to keep them here long term? Is it because we draft busts like Chaz Green and Gabe what's his name with high round picks and pay them above scale? Or is it that we just have horrible capologists like all of Jerry's kids managing the cap?

Every freaking year the Eagles, Giants, Vikings, Packers, etc, etc, etc, go out and improve themselves by adding a free agent or two and we get stuck bringing in 3rd string guards and trading for 4th string fullbacks.

Why is this? How did we get ourselves in this position and why do we seem to never have any capspace?

I'm actually shocked that we did the right thing with Lawrence and franchised him. I figured we'd throw 5yrs and the kitchen sink at that dude to wrap him up long term only for him to be a walking injury with his back.

Would really appreciate hearing your views.

Gust
BearForce
Gust Avrakotos said:

BF....77, would really like to hear your thoughts here.

How is it that every other team in the league (including a Redskins team that has been in salary cap hell) has the money to go out and spend in free agency, yet we are always on the freaking brink of cap space?

Is it because Jerry overpays our stars like Dez, Witten, Smith, etc to keep them here long term? Is it because we draft busts like Chaz Green and Gabe what's his name with high round picks and pay them above scale? Or is it that we just have horrible capologists like all of Jerry's kids managing the cap?

Every freaking year the Eagles, Giants, Vikings, Packers, etc, etc, etc, go out and improve themselves by adding a free agent or two and we get stuck bringing in 3rd string guards and trading for 4th string fullbacks.

Why is this? How did we get ourselves in this position and why do we seem to never have any capspace?

I'm actually shocked that we did the right thing with Lawrence and franchised him. I figured we'd throw 5yrs and the kitchen sink at that dude to wrap him up long term only for him to be a walking injury with his back.

Would really appreciate hearing your views.

Gust

To give a short answer, we are poor at evaluating free agents so we dont spend money there compared to other teams. Not to say the Redskins are any better.

As to DLaw, he will get a new contract as they won't have him play on a franchise tag but they better protect themselves against injury and another suspension.
BearForce
Assassin said:

BearForce said:

big kid - 6'3.

With decent production when healthy. This was a cost cut by JAX that we might be able to cash in on.
First Page Last Page
Page 137 of 851

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.