Football
Sponsored by

* * Dallas Cowboys * *

2,050,875 Views | 29499 Replies | Last: 20 hrs ago by Assassin
Assassin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
On Cowboys Gregory optimism - and their 2000-page/60-day urgency
ByMIKE FISHER 61 minutes ago

The Randy Gregory camp is optimistic about his chance for NFL reinstatement. Two years of passing drug tests and what I'm told is a 2,000-page presentation featuring those test results plus testimony from prominent Dallas Cowboys teammates, industry powerhouses, civic leaders and influential celebrities justifies that optimism.

But there is also some urgency on the part of all involved as it regards the league's steps to apply for reinstatement. And all you need to have to understand why Gregory is hopeful of filing with the NFL next week is ... a calendar.

"I have been proud of Randy during this offseason," Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said during Wednesday's sponsors golf event. "I'm very aware of how hard he's working to get back in the league and get back on the field. We know that his talent level.''

But there are, by rule, certain things the Cowboys are not supposed to do, as teams are limited as to how much contact they can have with a suspended player. So how can we know about Dallas' sense of urgency here?

The NFL rules call for the commissioner to hand down a judgment within 60 days of receiving the application for reinstatement. Sources tell me the first goal was to assemble all the testimony (again, not just from assorted teammates like Tyrone Crawford, Sean Lee and Jeff Heath, as has been widely reported, but also from circles of influence that go far beyond the Dallas locker room) by April 27, and then to submit it by May 1. The sheer volume of information made that target unreachable.

But given that the Cowboys figure to start training camp around the end of July ... do the math: The 60-day window needs to be triggered, with Gregory's submission, in the next two weeks or so, in order to allow the player to join his team in Oxnard.

"I don't want to be presumptuous in any way whether or not he's going to qualify to be reinstated,'' Jones said, and that is wise. But it is not "presumptuous'' to recognize that Dallas is well aware of the calendar. Nor is it "presumptuous'' to report on how many those with knowledge of Gregory's situation -- the former second-round pick hasn't played since the regular-season finale in 2016, and the league suspended the pass-rusher on January 6, 2017, for at least a year for violating its substance abuse policy -- share his camp's optimism.

"I tried to give my two cents to the league and what I think is best for Randy," Crawford said Wednesday. "I think it's best he's back in the locker room, he's back around us. I think it will be good for him, and it'll be good for us."

Even the usually buttoned-up Jason Garrett is giving off positive vibes here.

"We'll go through the process,'' the Cowboys coach said "Any way we can help to support him, we'll certainly embrace that opportunity. He's someone that has worked very hard at this and we're excited about his future."

It's a future that can come with the help of a 2,000-page document ... and a 60-day window on which the clock is ticking
On Facebook at "Memories of...":
Dallas, Dallas Public, Texas, Texas Football, Texas Basketball, Texas Music. Come see us!
Assassin
Dallas, Dallas Public, Texas, Texas Football, Texas Basketball, Texas Music. Come see us!
Assassin
25 Best Players Under 25

2. Ezekiel Elliott, RB, Cowboys, age 22

After his 1,631-yard, 15-TD rookie rushing season, an unwarranted suspension ruined his 2017. Between revenge and the Cowboys going to the ground more, 2,000 yards is within reach.

7. Dak Prescott, QB, Cowboys, age 24

Stats took a dip after the stunning rookie year, and it'll be interesting to see how he does without his two leading receivers from last year. Turns 25 in July.
Assassin
The Dallas Morning News reports suspended DE Randy Gregory will apply for reinstatement this month.
Gregory was suspended all of 2017 after being banned for all but two games in 2016, and TMZ Sports reported he failed another drug test last spring while he was suspended. If the report is true, it could make it difficult for him to gain reinstatement. Once Gregory files, he will have to meet with Roger Goodell before the commissioner makes a decision. The Cowboys should find a place for the former second-round pick if he gets cleared.

Source: Dallas Morning News
May 10 - 9:15 AM
Franko
Assassin said:

The Dallas Morning News reports suspended DE Randy Gregory will apply for reinstatement this month.
Gregory was suspended all of 2017 after being banned for all but two games in 2016, and TMZ Sports reported he failed another drug test last spring while he was suspended. If the report is true, it could make it difficult for him to gain reinstatement. Once Gregory files, he will have to meet with Roger Goodell before the commissioner makes a decision. The Cowboys should find a place for the former second-round pick if he gets cleared.

I am hesitant to question TMZ's reporting because they are usually right. But most stories I have read say that he hasn't failed a drug test in two years. He reportedly has drug test evidence that he has submitted to the league.
2021-2023 Adopt-A-Bear
Anthony Anywanwu
cumulative stats:
2022 (Redshirt Sophomore)
Named second-team Academic All-Big 12 … Played in nine games off the bench, totaling seven tackles, including 1.5 for a loss … Went for three tackles, including a tackle for a loss in the win over Texas State … Had a stop at Iowa State … Had three tackles, including half a tackle for a loss, at West Virginia.
Assassin
Franko said:

Assassin said:

I am hesitant to question TMZ's reporting because they are usually right. But most stories I have read say that he hasn't failed a drug test in two years. He reportedly has drug test evidence that he has submitted to the league.
No kidding. DMN doesnt mention it at all in their story. Those guys are usually pretty accurate
Wichitabear
Assassin said:

25 Best Players Under 25

2. Ezekiel Elliott, RB, Cowboys, age 22

After his 1,631-yard, 15-TD rookie rushing season, an unwarranted suspension ruined his 2017. Between revenge and the Cowboys going to the ground more, 2,000 yards is within reach.

7. Dak Prescott, QB, Cowboys, age 24

Stats took a dip after the stunning rookie year, and it'll be interesting to see how he does without his two leading receivers from last year. Turns 25 in July.
I'm little worried but probably needlessly
Assassin
much ado about nothing...

Frisco Police closed a domestic violence case against Cowboys DT David Irving.
Irving was initially accused of domestic violence by his ex-girlfriend, but she has since retracted the allegation. "I was very upset and made some allegations that were false," the accuser said last month. With the case officially closed, Irving should be able to put this incident behind him.

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter
May 10 - 12:29 PM

Franko
Assassin said:

much ado about nothing...

Frisco Police closed a domestic violence case against Cowboys DT David Irving.
Irving was initially accused of domestic violence by his ex-girlfriend, but she has since retracted the allegation. "I was very upset and made some allegations that were false," the accuser said last month. With the case officially closed, Irving should be able to put this incident behind him.

May 10 - 12:29 PM

But not without the drama of disagreement among media outlets:

2021-2023 Adopt-A-Bear
Anthony Anywanwu
cumulative stats:
Named second-team Academic All-Big 12 … Played in nine games off the bench, totaling seven tackles, including 1.5 for a loss … Went for three tackles, including a tackle for a loss in the win over Texas State … Had a stop at Iowa State … Had three tackles, including half a tackle for a loss, at West Virginia.
Wichitabear
So it's closed???? Lol
Assassin
Franko said:

sounds like David is arguing with himself
Assassin
thanks Boognish

This does not sound like a vote of confidence for anyone that wants to play football

Assassin
Assassin said:

thanks Boognish

This does not sound like a vote of confidence for anyone that wants to play football

Witten was specifically asked about former teammates Geoff Swaim, Rico Gathers and Blake Jarwin.

"They haven't had a lot of opportunities to play, " Witten said. "But in the last week we've seen that Jerry [Jones] has come out and said he feels confident in this group. Playing with Geoff Swaim for the last three years, I think there is some upside to his ability. He just hasn't played in a lot of games. They really like him. They traded up in the draft for him.

"I think for those guys, they're going to have their role in how it's all going to play out. They certainly like Rico. He has big ability to stretch the field. Coming off the basketball court, he's athletic. He can make plays. Can he do it for 60 plays? He hasn't shown that consistency to be able to do that. They're going to have to lean on Swaim to be able to kind of carry the workload. But they do have young talent in Jarwin and Rico that they see as a little bit of a flash player that can come in and have roles in the redzone or third down and the passing game.

"So those guys will be OK. I feel like sitting in those meetings with them and going through the last few years, they know what it takes to play that position. I hope that I have shown them that, but they can't put the pressure on themselves. They just need to go play and feel confident in that system. Scott Linehan has had success with tight ends, so they'll figure out their roles and what they want to do. Really, more than anything, they got to get comfortable in this Dak-friendly offense that they're building in Dallas."
Assassin
ouch... 1 tek needed...

Cowboys DT Maliek Collins suffered a broken left foot in Thursday's OTAs session.
It's terrible news, as Collins had surgery on the same foot in January. A 16-game starter last year, Collins is looking shaky for Week 1, though the team is reportedly optimistic he will be ready some time in August. There's likely now an added sense of urgency for the Cowboys to get free agent Terrell McClain under contract.
May 10 - 8:11 PM
Assassin
Speaking in the Cowboys' post-draft press conference, EVP Stephen Jones said the team wants to get "web back" Tavon Austin "a dozen to two dozen" touches per game.
That's a real quote, verifiable at the link below. Jones said that's in addition to the return game. Austin lost return duties to Pharoh Cooper last season and averaged 4.5 touches on offense. Even during his Jeff Fisher heyday of 2015, Austin averaged just 6.5 touches. We are going to assume the front office doesn't actually mandate that Austin is one of the most heavily-used players in football this season, but the Cowboys have made it abundantly clear they want to feature Austin in their old Lance Dunbar role.
Source: Josh Norris on Twitter
May 10 - 6:42 PM

BearForce
Assassin said:

Franko said:

Or his sources suck
BearForce
Assassin said:

ouch... 1 tek needed...

Cowboys DT Maliek Collins suffered a broken left foot in Thursday's OTAs session.
It's terrible news, as Collins had surgery on the same foot in January. A 16-game starter last year, Collins is looking shaky for Week 1, though the team is reportedly optimistic he will be ready some time in August. There's likely now an added sense of urgency for the Cowboys to get free agent Terrell McClain under contract.
McClain's price just got a bit higher...
Assassin
BearForce said:

Assassin said:

Franko said:

Or his sources suck
Could be a bit of both.

Didnt he got to Baylor?
Assassin
BearForce said:

Assassin said:

ouch... 1 tek needed...

We do have the new guy, Jihad Ward. Marinelli seems to think he was misused in LA. Even if he's a rotational 1 tek piece, could end up being an even trade. Assuming Tavon Austin does what they are thinking he can do.
Assassin
335 lb DT Jonathan Hankins is still out there. As is Alan Branch and Karl Krug. Hankins is a potential starter. Branch and Krug are more pluggers. Branch with his 350+ mass and Krug with quickness. More Maranelli at 278.
BearForce
Assassin said:

BearForce said:

Assassin said:

ouch... 1 tek needed...

We do have the new guy, Jihad Ward. Marinelli seems to think he was misused in LA. Even if he's a rotational 1 tek piece, could end up being an even trade. Assuming Tavon Austin does what they are thinking he can do.

He is a 3 or a DE
Assassin
BearForce said:

Assassin said:

BearForce said:

Assassin said:

ouch... 1 tek needed...

He is a 3 or a DE
Everyones a 3 or DE to Maranelli!
Assassin
Has he ever used a true 1 tek
Franko
Assassin said:

He uses true one-techniques, but they don't value the position enough to go get really good one-techs. Brian Price and Richard Ash are prototypical one-technique "fire hydrant" type bodies, but they are just average to below average talents. At 6'6" and 297 lbs, Ward does not fit the one-technique mold.
2021-2023 Adopt-A-Bear
Anthony Anywanwu
cumulative stats:
BearForce
Assassin said:

McClain is likely the closest...I all am saying is if you Jihad in at 1 tech you might as well just not put anyone there against the run.
BearForce
Assassin said:

I should also say Paea was a 1 tek in every sense of the term
BearForce
McClain leaves DFW without a contract...next stop ATL
https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2018/5/11/17344182/terrell-mcclain-leaves-dallas-without-a-contract-now-visiting-the-falcons
Wichitabear
Uh oh. Well not really surprised
Assassin
Cowboys are super high on 4th rounder Dorance Armstrong - from his college coach:

Beaty: The issue for a lot of teams was his combine performance and pro day performance. Well, Dorance has never weighed 260 pounds since he's been here. He came in very, very heavy. I'm not sure who exactly he was training with, but my way of dealing with him would not be carrying that kind of weight. The guy we know, one of his biggest attributes is his speed and quickness. I can assure you they got a steal out of him because had he ran what I thought he was going to run and been at the right weight, he wouldn't have been around fourth round. No way.

Dorance is a lot faster than what people think. Dorance never ran even remotely close to the (4.87) times he ran for the scouts. He's been a high 4.5 to mid 4.6 guy every day when he was at the right weight: I think what they're going to see is one of the most explosive guys develop in the NFL when it comes to getting off that edge. They found them a pass rusher. They got them a guy, no doubt.
Franko
Too rich for my blood.

2021-2023 Adopt-A-Bear
Anthony Anywanwu
cumulative stats:
Wichitabear
I guess we didn't need him that bad
Assassin
Franko said:

Too rich for my blood.

they knew what he could and couldnt do. guess the couldnt ruled they day.

I would rather have Hankins in a 1 tek rotation
Assassin

Cowboy timeline I did for my Memories of Dallas page
Wichitabear
Excellent as always. Really enjoy reading from the Dallas memories
Assassin
Cowboys signed No. 19 overall pick LB Leighton Vander Esch to a four-year, $11.8 million contract.
His deal comes with a $6.7 million signing bonus as well as a fifth-year team option for 2022. The Cowboys have now signed all of their draft picks except for third-rounder Michael Gallup. Vander Esch is the favorite to start at strong side linebacker for Dallas in 2018.

Source: Todd Archer on Twitter
May 11 - 4:56 PM

Cowboys signed fourth round TE Dalton Schultz to a four-year contract.
Schultz was drafted as part of the Cowboys' committee to replace Jason Witten. He has the blocking skills to be a Week 1 starter and is capable in the pass game. Schultz will compete for snaps with Rico Gathers, Geoff Swaim, and Blake Jarwin.

May 11 - 7:00 PM

Cowboys signed seventh round RB Bo Scarbrough to a four-year contract.
Scarbrough didn't live up to his five-star hype at Alabama, but has the talent to outproduce his late round status. He lands in a good spot in Dallas, where he'll have a chance to be the early-down backup for Ezekiel Elliott. Third round WR Michael Gallup is the Cowboys' only unsigned pick.

May 11 - 7:32 PM
First Page Last Page
Page 173 of 843

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.