Football
Sponsored by

* * Dallas Cowboys * *

2,076,520 Views | 29545 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by Assassin
Russell Gym
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BearForce said:

Assassin said:

BearForce said:

Well we have a WR...not sure I like this though.

Amari Cooper to the Cowboys
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/10/22/raiders-trade-amari-cooper-to-cowboys-for-first-round-pick/
kinda surprising to give up a 1st at this point in time. Hopefully they got something besides Cooper back in return

Nope, we overpaid.

Jerruh the GM strikes again.
Assassin
Wentz throwing to Jeffries AND Cooper?

On Facebook at Memories of...
Dallas, Dallas Public, Texas, Texas Football, Texas Basketball, Texas Music, Memories From a Texas Window. Come see us!
BearForce
Preview? Interesting that like Herns and Beasley, he lines up in the slot or had.

BearForce
This makes me feel slightly better though I still wonder if we might not be replacing Tyron Smith very soon:

BearForce
Assassin
BearForce said:

This makes me feel slightly better though I still wonder if we might not be replacing Tyron Smith very soon:

walter footballs top OTs' http://walterfootball.com/draft2019OT.php
Dallas, Dallas Public, Texas, Texas Football, Texas Basketball, Texas Music, Memories From a Texas Window. Come see us!
Assassin
ouch...

BearForce
Assassin said:

BearForce said:

walter footballs top OTs' http://walterfootball.com/draft2019OT.php

Not a strong class from what I can see.
Wichitabear
I don't like Gruden. Just saying. I don't think he is that good of coach
Wichitabear
I'm anxious to see how amari and Dak perform together. Gonna have to throw that football downfield
BearForce
Wichitabear said:

I'm anxious to see how amari and Dak perform together. Gonna have to throw that football downfield

Amari is good in the immediate as well and a good route runner. That said I agree, push the ball down the field to at least make the safeties respect your passing game.
Franko
At first, I was a little upset over giving up a first rounder for Cooper. But it's obvious that WR is this team's biggest need. So we were probably going to use next year's first on a WR. If so, we just spent our first 6 months early and got a player that doesn't have to go through the 2-3 year learning curve WR's normally go through. I'm still not thrilled, but not totally disappointed.
2021-2023 Adopt-A-Bear
Anthony Anywanwu
cumulative stats:
2022 (Redshirt Sophomore)
Named second-team Academic All-Big 12 … Played in nine games off the bench, totaling seven tackles, including 1.5 for a loss … Went for three tackles, including a tackle for a loss in the win over Texas State … Had a stop at Iowa State … Had three tackles, including half a tackle for a loss, at West Virginia.
BearForce
Franko said:

At first, I was a little upset over giving up a first rounder for Cooper. But it's obvious that WR is this team's biggest need. So we were probably going to use next year's first on a WR. If so, we just spent our first 6 months early and got a player that doesn't have to go through the 2-3 year learning curve WR's normally go through. I'm still not thrilled, but not totally disappointed.

Agree and it doesn't look like the OT class is all that strong either. DL is the only other spot I would have been shopping for in the first round but if this works out like we hope, we would have been drafting a second round grade guy anyway.
Assassin
BearForce said:

Wichitabear said:

Amari is good in the immediate as well and a good route runner. That said I agree, push the ball down the field to at least make the safeties respect your passing game.
Scouting Report: Amari Cooper's Best Traits
Bryan Broaddus
FOOTBALL ANALYST/SCOUT

Name: Amari Cooper
Position: WR
College: Alabama
Experience: 4th season
Height: 6-1
Weight: 211
Draft: Selected in the first round, No. 4 overall, by Oakland in 2015

Scouting Report:

Cooper is a highly competitive player, and he shows physical toughness with the ball in his hands. Will finish after catch.

He can cover some ground when advancing up the field. I have seen him take away tacklers' angles when they're closing on him in the open. There is some vertical separation to his game. He plays with a burst, and you really notice this when he's tracking the ball or coming across the field.
Speaking of explosiveness, Cooper has impressive lateral quickness -- especially down in the red zone. Have seen him stick his foot in the ground and explode to the outside.

Make no mistake about it: this is a home run hitter. There are snaps where Derek Carr threw the ball as far as he could and Cooper ran it down.

Excellent body control and balance. He has a knack for playing well in small areas. When the situation gets tight in the red zone, he knows how to work his body and feet. He shows sideline awareness.

Can change direction in a hurry. Gets north-south with the ball quickly. Has a running back mentality. Nice run after catch.

Cooper shows the ability to make plays in the air, which is something we haven't seen from this Dallas receiver corps. He can contort his body in a manner to make the reception. I didn't see any problems with him going for the ball over his head.

I thought he showed natural hands and the ability to catch in them. It felt to me that some of the drops that he showed were when he was trying to head up the field before putting the ball away. Others were just a simple lack of concentration.

He knows how to read coverages. You see him working through all areas of the field. It's best when you can hit him on the move.

Cooper has the physical traits along with the ability to be a featured receiver. He should line up as the Cowboys' X receiver, with Michael Gallup opposite and Cole Beasley in the slot. He will provide a physical, down the field weapon for an offense that needs that type of player.
Franko
IF he is a true X receiver, Cooper, Gallup, and Beasley is not a bad WR group. Gallup is doing pretty well given that he is a rookie and he had no X WR to draw attention away from him. Obviously Beasley can get open.
2021-2023 Adopt-A-Bear
Anthony Anywanwu
cumulative stats:
2022 (Redshirt Sophomore)
Named second-team Academic All-Big 12 … Played in nine games off the bench, totaling seven tackles, including 1.5 for a loss … Went for three tackles, including a tackle for a loss in the win over Texas State … Had a stop at Iowa State … Had three tackles, including half a tackle for a loss, at West Virginia.
Wichitabear
Exactly! You have already posted there are no outstanding receivers 1s round in this year's draft.
Wichitabear
I like this scouting report. Makes me feel a whole lot better
Assassin
  • Bucky Brooks of NFL.com writes that there's not a Top 10-worthy WR in the 2019 draft class, and that snagging Cooper (Top 5 pick/2x Pro Bowler) is a better option than picking a WR next year despite Cooper's flaws.
  • Gil Brandt, formerly of the Cowboys and now also at NFL.com, looked at the top 50 players for the 2019 draft (including underclassmen he thinks are coming out) and didn't see a wide receiver in the Top 25. He goes on to say that the Cowboys would be reaching for a wide receiver less capable than Cooper, regardless of where they'll end up drafting.
  • Dane Brugler of The Athletic doesn't have a wide receiver in his Top 25.
BearForce
This looks very Dak friendly

Assassin
BearForce said:

This looks very Dak friendly

especially when you see that Derek Carrs career rating is about a dozen below that at 87.7.
http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/16757/derek-carr
Assassin
Defensive end Randy Gregory underwent arthroscopic surgery Tuesday on his injured knee that's plagued him the last few weeks. The Cowboys have had the surgery planned for the bye for a few weeks now. Gregory won't practice this week, and the Cowboys are hopeful he'll be ready to play Nov. 5 against Tennessee.
Assassin
Offensive lineman Chaz Green had not found a job since the Cowboys cut him coming out of the preseason. But the former third-round pick finally got his second chance as the Saints signed him Wednesday, according to multiple reports.
BearForce
...and Drew Brees announces his immediate retirement
BearForce

GoldMind
Ring number 6 is a comin
Winning by cheating is just as impressive as winning fairly, probably even more so. Your opponent was better than you in every way, and you beat them with your brain.
Assassin
BearForce said:

dude has some coin coming to him down the road
Assassin
BearForce said:

pretty amazing. Nice buzz so far about him but not so much as to think this
Assassin
Grades For Tyron Smith Are 'Pretty Darn Great'
Nick Eatman
DALLASCOWBOYS.COM STAFF WRITER

FRISCO, Texas Over the last five years, there hasn't been a player who has been more dominant, and yet consistent than Tyron Smith.

A perennial All-Pro and Pro Bowl selection, Smith has not only become one of the NFL's best left tackles, but he has rarely shown any sign of weakness, especially when he's healthy.

However, this season has been more of a struggle for Smith, at least to the untrained eye, which has seen a few more sacks allowed and some penalties. But according to his veteran offensive line coach, Smith is playing at a very high level.

"Through seven games, the grades I've given him have been pretty darn great," said O-line coach Paul Alexander, who is in his first season with the Cowboys and admitted he doesn't have previous years to compare to. "I wasn't here before. I didn't really know him on a day-to-day basis, analyzing completely everything. I know the grades I've given him have been pretty good."

Alexander, who coached the Bengals for 27 seasons before joining Dallas this offseason, said Smith's performance in games starts long before they hit the field on Sunday.

"He's a joy to coach. He works as hard as any guy there is," Alexander said of Smith. "He's tough. No one wants to go against him in individual drills. He put a guy on IR in a walkthrough a couple of years ago. I've really enjoyed coaching him. I don't know anything other than that."

Smith has made five straight Pro Bowls, but has missed three games in each of the past two seasons for various injuries to his back, neck and knee. While the Cowboys have listed him on the injury report here recently with an ankle injury, for the most part injuries haven't been a big issue for him this season.

Alexander said the entire offensive line has seen its share of problems, but is encouraged with the progress.

"Some things we're doing very well. I see growth every day," Alexander said. "We're replacing the best center in football and putting in a rookie left guard. The bottom-line answer is there are a million things to work through. But I like what I've seen through seven games."
BearForce
Assassin said:

Grades For Tyron Smith Are 'Pretty Darn Great'
Nick Eatman
DALLASCOWBOYS.COM STAFF WRITER

FRISCO, Texas Over the last five years, there hasn't been a player who has been more dominant, and yet consistent than Tyron Smith.

A perennial All-Pro and Pro Bowl selection, Smith has not only become one of the NFL's best left tackles, but he has rarely shown any sign of weakness, especially when he's healthy.

However, this season has been more of a struggle for Smith, at least to the untrained eye, which has seen a few more sacks allowed and some penalties. But according to his veteran offensive line coach, Smith is playing at a very high level.

"Through seven games, the grades I've given him have been pretty darn great," said O-line coach Paul Alexander, who is in his first season with the Cowboys and admitted he doesn't have previous years to compare to. "I wasn't here before. I didn't really know him on a day-to-day basis, analyzing completely everything. I know the grades I've given him have been pretty good."

Alexander, who coached the Bengals for 27 seasons before joining Dallas this offseason, said Smith's performance in games starts long before they hit the field on Sunday.

"He's a joy to coach. He works as hard as any guy there is," Alexander said of Smith. "He's tough. No one wants to go against him in individual drills. He put a guy on IR in a walkthrough a couple of years ago. I've really enjoyed coaching him. I don't know anything other than that."

Smith has made five straight Pro Bowls, but has missed three games in each of the past two seasons for various injuries to his back, neck and knee. While the Cowboys have listed him on the injury report here recently with an ankle injury, for the most part injuries haven't been a big issue for him this season.

Alexander said the entire offensive line has seen its share of problems, but is encouraged with the progress.

"Some things we're doing very well. I see growth every day," Alexander said. "We're replacing the best center in football and putting in a rookie left guard. The bottom-line answer is there are a million things to work through. But I like what I've seen through seven games."

I want to see what PFF has to say...
Assassin
Gil Brandt, former vice president of player personnel for the Dallas Cowboys, joined Dennis and Cowlishaw on KESN-FM 103.3 ESPN on Tuesday to talk about the Amari Cooper trade. Here are some highlights:

On the Cowboys' acquisition of Amari Cooper

Brandt: He was my third-ranked player when he came up for the draft. He's 6-1, 210 pounds and ran a 4.3 at the combine. I try to find out and put my listed order so I can look ahead to the 2019 draft as early as possible. I've got 50 players in order of where I think they'll go. My top-ranked wide receiver is 25. There are a lot of good receivers in this draft. But they will be second- and third-round picks. What you have done is you have got a player, that's only four months older than the first-round pick of the Atlanta Falcons, that has four years of experience. They got a player a year ahead of time, they gave up a first-round choice for somebody they would have taken in the draft anyway, but would have been of lesser value than what you have right now.

On if the Cowboys paid too much for Cooper

Brandt: I don't feel that you overpaid when you do it the way I did it, as to where he would have rated using the 2019 prospects. In four of the last five years, I've seen him work out with the Raiders in California. He's going to make some great catches. He's going to make some drops. He has a concentration point that's against him, but here's a guy that went to the Pro Bowl his first and his second year in the league, a guy who caught 114 passes his senior year from Alabama. It's a good move, but I think the fan, the player, anybody connected with the team says "they're trying to help us win." But I do not think it was excessive to use a first-round choice now for a guy you would gladly take in the first round six months from now.

On Cooper being a good talent

Brandt: That's good, and yes they're down, but the biggest thing is that he was my third-ranked player. The second thing is, I think it's a good move, because I think it makes the team, the pros, say "you know, they're really trying to do something to help us." Go and look at some of those first-round picks. Baltimore took the guy [Breshad] Perriman from Central Florida. He's not there anymore, he was a first-round pick. The wide receiver from Louisville, [DeVante] Parker, he's up for trade and I think he was the 14th player picked in the draft. You got an established guy, you're not throwing darts. You know he's young, he's never had problems off the field. And production: You don't start at Alabama if you aren't really good.

On Cooper the person

Brandt: I think he's a great person. He's a really good guy. He's the kind of person that if he tells you he's going to do something, he'll do it. It's different then than it is now, but they're giving up a draft choice a year early for someone they would have drafted anyways. I think it's a steal myself.

On if he would rather have Calvin Ridley and the first-rounder next year, or Cooper

Brandt: I think I'd rather have Vander Esch and Amari Cooper. You're always concerned when it's a one- year wonder, but then you look at him, he had over 100 tackles at Boise State, and had the most tackles against Washington State who's a pretty good team. It's probably harder to find a really good linebacker. I think this guy has the chance to be a Pro Bowl linebacker. I think it's harder to find him than it is to draft a wide receiver.
Assassin
from Larry Brown Sports - top 10 QBs under 30

9) Dak Prescott, Cowboys

A lot of the luster has come off Prescott, especially in 2018, but there is still something to work with there. He's still good for 3,000 yards and 20 touchdowns and isn't enormously interception-prone. The 25-year-old can also use his legs, particularly in 2018, when he's started to be more aggressive on the ground, racking up 82 rushing yards against the Jacksonville Jaguars. Prescott has talent, and it's just a matter of finding the right scheme and talent for him to blossom.
BearForce
Go Jaguars
BearForce
Thanks for nothing Jags
Wichitabear
We need the Giants to beat the Redskins.
Wichitabear
You know the jags are going to lose. Lololo Bearforce
First Page Last Page
Page 227 of 845

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.