Football
Sponsored by

* * Dallas Cowboys * *

2,078,259 Views | 29549 Replies | Last: 14 hrs ago by BearForce
BearForce
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Assassin said:

walter football. i will take that draft anyday.

Montgomery isnt a 7th rounder
Assassin
BearForce said:

Assassin said:

walter football. i will take that draft anyday.

Montgomery isnt a 7th rounder
nah....
Assassin
mike fisher @fishsports 18m
.@dallascowboys .com w #Cowboys Stephen Jones: 'We're motivated to get this deal done with @TankLawrence .. He'll come off the left side and #RobertQuinn will come off the right with Randy (Gregory).
Wichitabear
I agree with that.
Assassin
really excited for tomorrow. Interviewing Micheal Nesmith from The Monkees.

YIKEEEEEEEEEEEES!
Wichitabear
What??? I remember them. I'm A Believer. Is this a joke? Lol
Assassin
Wichitabear said:

What??? I remember them. I'm A Believer. Is this a joke? Lol
nope, getting on the last train to Clarksville at 11am
Assassin
"He's (Randy Cobb) so capable of doing so many different things," Garrett said, via the Dallas Morning News. "We got an up close and personal view of him every time we played Green Bay. You go into these games and you look at a guy like this like, 'God damn, look at him again. They're handing it to him, they're throwing it to him, he's in the slot, he's outside. He makes these plays at critical moments.' We've been trying to guard him for a long time. To have him be able to come in and be as versatile as we think he can be, I think he's going to be a big lift for our offense."

Cobb missed seven games last season, so his health will be something to monitor but Garrett said Cobb was "really impactful" when healthy and the Cowboys are expecting the same in 2019.
Assassin
Interesting. I guess this would be part of the Pats formula too:

Quote:

Jordan Howard trade again shows Eagles prioritize compensatory picks
Posted by Michael David Smith on March 29, 2019, 7:26 AM EDT

The Eagles' decision to trade a 2020 third-day pick for Bears running back Jordan Howard is another example of the value Philadelphia places on compensatory picks.

That's because Howard is heading into the final year of his rookie contract. At first blush, it might seem like trading for a player in the final year of his contract is unwise, as he could just leave in free agency next year. But if he does, that would help the Eagles acquire compensatory picks.

The NFL's compensatory pick formula gives teams additional draft picks when they lose more free agents than they acquire. That has been a key part of the Eagles' strategy, and in 2020 they're poised to lead the way in compensatory picks, as they should get a third-round compensatory pick for losing Nick Foles, and two fourth-rounders for losing Golden Tate and Jordan Hicks.

The Eagles traded a third-round pick for Tate last year even though he was in the final season of his contract and has now left in free agency. Some questioned the wisdom of that, but Tate was a valuable player for the Eagles last season he scored the winning touchdown in their playoff victory over the Bears and he'll produce a fourth-round pick for them next year.

Howard may end up doing the same: He could play a valuable role on the Eagles in 2019, and if that convinces some other team to out-bid the Eagles for him in free agency next year, the Eagles would get a compensatory pick for his departure. The Eagles aren't just planning for what Howard can bring to the team this season, they're planning for several seasons down the road. That's what smart teams do.

BearForce
Assassin said:

Interesting. I guess this would be part of the Pats formula too:

Quote:

Jordan Howard trade again shows Eagles prioritize compensatory picks
Posted by Michael David Smith on March 29, 2019, 7:26 AM EDT

The Eagles' decision to trade a 2020 third-day pick for Bears running back Jordan Howard is another example of the value Philadelphia places on compensatory picks.

That's because Howard is heading into the final year of his rookie contract. At first blush, it might seem like trading for a player in the final year of his contract is unwise, as he could just leave in free agency next year. But if he does, that would help the Eagles acquire compensatory picks.

The NFL's compensatory pick formula gives teams additional draft picks when they lose more free agents than they acquire. That has been a key part of the Eagles' strategy, and in 2020 they're poised to lead the way in compensatory picks, as they should get a third-round compensatory pick for losing Nick Foles, and two fourth-rounders for losing Golden Tate and Jordan Hicks.

The Eagles traded a third-round pick for Tate last year even though he was in the final season of his contract and has now left in free agency. Some questioned the wisdom of that, but Tate was a valuable player for the Eagles last season he scored the winning touchdown in their playoff victory over the Bears and he'll produce a fourth-round pick for them next year.

Howard may end up doing the same: He could play a valuable role on the Eagles in 2019, and if that convinces some other team to out-bid the Eagles for him in free agency next year, the Eagles would get a compensatory pick for his departure. The Eagles aren't just planning for what Howard can bring to the team this season, they're planning for several seasons down the road. That's what smart teams do.

Yep...that is why they get all the picks they do. We may finally be getting smart on that too.
Wichitabear
Great!
Assassin
Bryan Broadus report on Quinn:

Name: Robert Quinn
Position: DE
College: North Carolina
Height: 6-4
Weight: 264
Draft: Selected in the first round, 14th overall, by the St. Louis Rams in 2011
Games Studied: 2018 vs. Green Bay, New England (twice), Jacksonville
Scouting Report:
  • As you'd expect from a first-round talent, Quinn plays with initial quickness off the snap. Even at this advanced point in his career, he still has a good first step. Plays low to the ground.
  • To account for him, opponents will often put extra blockers to his side. He will get chipped by backs and tight ends.
  • He has the ability to take his blocker wide, then work underneath. He shows important redirection skills, and he has a large tool belt of pass rush moves. Start-stop quickness. Slippery player.
  • You hear me talk about this a lot, and it definitely applies to Quinn: he gets in a rhythm as a pass rusher. This is one of those guys that smells blood in the water.

• He plays with some bend, and he has a real feel for how to get his shoulder past the blocker. Will go after the ball in the quarterback's hand. Works to create turnovers.
  • You can tell this guy is a savvy veteran. He has a feel for how to rush at the proper depth. He doesn't get pushed up the field, as he knows where he needs to finish. He does a good job of breaking the blocker's hands down.
  • Quinn is very athletic, but he's just not as effective when he attempts to bull or power rush. He gets two good steps, then gets bogged down.
  • He can really close down from the backside in the running game. He gets up the field, then is able to retrace his steps. He fights hard to take on blockers at the point of attack. Doesn't get washed despite his lack of bulk.
  • Knows how to position himself in the throwing lane in order to deflect the ball.
  • With the Dolphins, Quinn played in a rotating system. He'd rush hard three snaps, then come off the field. This is the type of guy that gives you everything he has in those snaps.
Assassin
folks forget, Jerry Jones was one hell of a football player back in his day.

He was also a co-captain of the 1964 National Championship football team. He was an all-Southwest Conference offensive lineman for Hall of Fame coach Frank Broyles and a teammate of Jimmy Johnson.[
trey3216
Assassin said:

sometimes you just gotta take what you are given:

58: R2P26
QB KYLER MURRAY
OKLAHOMA

90: R3P26
TE KADEN SMITH
STANFORD

128: R4P26
WR DAVID SILLS
WEST VIRGINIA

136: R4P34
OT DAVID EDWARDS
WISCONSIN

165: R5P27
DL DAYLON MACK
TEXAS A&M

241: R7P27
RB DAVID MONTGOMERY
IOWA STATE
Lol. Kyler ain't making it there
trey3216
Assassin said:

So Randy Gregory's issue was a 'relapse' back on New Years Day

"Without going into the details of all the things that he's done to try to get to a point where he can play for us, it's been a very serious approach as an organization and his approach has been serious. He's been able to make strides," Garrett told the media. "He's been able to come back and play for us and be a very productive player and a productive guy in our locker room. Unfortunately, my understanding of all this is that sometimes relapse is part of rehab. And so we're working through the process of the suspension right now with the NFL. But Randy Gregory is working very hard to try to get back and get the situation under control, and we're doing everything that er can under the rules to help him do that." Jason Garrett

a lot of the talk has been that his relapse has nothing to do with weed, but alcohol. His agreement with the NFL states he cannot even drink alcohol because that has caused problems with his social anxiety, where he crawls back into a hole and starts smoking weed to compensate for that. So he may be facing suspension again for drinking and only drinking. That's why there's thought that he may not be suspended at alll
Assassin
trey3216 said:

Assassin said:

So Randy Gregory's issue was a 'relapse' back on New Years Day

"Without going into the details of all the things that he's done to try to get to a point where he can play for us, it's been a very serious approach as an organization and his approach has been serious. He's been able to make strides," Garrett told the media. "He's been able to come back and play for us and be a very productive player and a productive guy in our locker room. Unfortunately, my understanding of all this is that sometimes relapse is part of rehab. And so we're working through the process of the suspension right now with the NFL. But Randy Gregory is working very hard to try to get back and get the situation under control, and we're doing everything that er can under the rules to help him do that." Jason Garrett

a lot of the talk has been that his relapse has nothing to do with weed, but alcohol. His agreement with the NFL states he cannot even drink alcohol because that has caused problems with his social anxiety, where he crawls back into a hole and starts smoking weed to compensate for that. So he may be facing suspension again for drinking and only drinking. That's why there's thought that he may not be suspended at alll
If he comes back full time as does Crawford, I could see them lining one of them up behind whomever was at DE at OLB on pass rush and flood that side. If our DTs hold up, could be our best rush in years
GoldMind
Assassin said:

folks forget, Jerry Jones was one hell of a football player back in his day.

He was also a co-captain of the 1964 National Championship football team. He was an all-Southwest Conference offensive lineman for Hall of Fame coach Frank Broyles and a teammate of Jimmy Johnson.[

He was also an expert at getting folks to give him money, long before college even.
Winning by cheating is just as impressive as winning fairly, probably even more so. Your opponent was better than you in every way, and you beat them with your brain.
BearForce
Really like this guy...and we are all familiar with him

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2019/3/30/18288377/cowboys-draft-prospect-running-back-justice-hill-ezekiel-elliott-oklahoma-state
Wichitabear
I think this is great.
Assassin
BearForce said:

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2019/3/30/18288377/cowboys-draft-prospect-running-back-justice-hill-ezekiel-elliott-oklahoma-state
He's probably a 3rd or 4th rounder according to draftscout which might make sense. Guessing he could be the fastest 40 RB ever for us at with a best of 4.34 (Herschel was not a blaze coming out of the blocks, but once he got going...)

Still don't get the re-signing of Jamize Olawale. He was horrible last year. Seems we could find a much better FB on the street if we wanted. Not sure why we need one in our one back offense

Still torn on where we need to go at 2. The OTs will be picked over by then as there aren't that many. My pre-draft guess would be the most talent will be at TE. Really great draft for them. Find one that excels in the underneath and mid-range throws, that knows how to work the zones when Dak is on the run. We will have Jason for one more year I think.

Also, take a look at who might be gone after 2019.
Assassin
2020 FA's as of today:

Assassin
Bryron Jones had hip surgery on Wednesday. Not sure why he waited so long post-season. Jones, 26, has not missed a game in his career. He is set to play this season on the fifth-year option worth $6.26 million.
BearForce
Assassin said:

BearForce said:

He's probably a 3rd or 4th rounder according to draftscout which might make sense. Guessing he could be the fastest 40 RB ever for us at with a best of 4.34 (Herschel was not a blaze coming out of the blocks, but once he got going...)

Still don't get the re-signing of Jamize Olawale. He was horrible last year. Seems we could find a much better FB on the street if we wanted. Not sure why we need one in our one back offense

Still torn on where we need to go at 2. The OTs will be picked over by then as there aren't that many. My pre-draft guess would be the most talent will be at TE. Really great draft for them. Find one that excels in the underneath and mid-range throws, that knows how to work the zones when Dak is on the run. We will have Jason for one more year I think.

Also, take a look at who might be gone after 2019.
Agree, though I think you are really chancing it if you don't grab him in the 3rd if you want him. I like the fact he already know how to pass protect which is a huge deal and I think he has unrealized potential as a WR.

I also totally agree with you on Olawale...we rarely line up in the I-Formation and he is not known for his blocking, and we all saw his receiving skills when it really counted in the Indy game. It is a wasted roster spot in my opinion and it just drives me nuts, especially as thin as we usually end up on the OL or DL each year. I'd rather an H-back who can block.
Assassin
BearForce said:

Agree, though I think you are really chancing it if you don't grab him in the 3rd if you want him. I like the fact he already know how to pass protect which is a huge deal and I think he has unrealized potential as a WR.

I also totally agree with you on Olawale...we rarely line up in the I-Formation and he is not known for his blocking, and we all saw his receiving skills when it really counted in the Indy game. It is a wasted roster spot in my opinion and it just drives me nuts, especially as thin as we usually end up on the OL or DL each year. I'd rather an H-back who can block.
I'd trade him for Jalen Hurd in a heartbeat over Olawalaweenie
BearForce
Assassin said:

BearForce said:

I'd trade him for Jalen Hurd in a heartbeat over Olawalaweenie

Hurd can do what Noah Brown does now and I think better too, plus you can use him as a 3rd down back some times.
BearForce
58: R2P26
DL GERALD WILLIS
MIAMI

90: R3P26
S JUAN THORNHILL
VIRGINIA

128: R4P26
TE JACE STERNBERGER
TEXAS A&M

136: R4P34
RB JUSTICE HILL
OKLAHOMA STATE

165: R5P27
OT ISAIAH PRINCE
OHIO STATE

241: R7P27
WR HUNTER RENFROW
CLEMSON
Assassin
So Cameron Flemming has a new deal. Arguably the best swing OT we've had in a while. Possibly starter if Collins doesnt improve

From BtB; Fleming's deal is for two years at a total value of $7.5 million. $1.5 million of his contract is guaranteed. In 2019 his cap hit is $2.25 million but in 2020 his cap hit balloons to $5.25 million. The Cowboys do have an easy out though and could cut him before the 2020 season and only incur a $750,000 dead money hit. (Spotrac)
Pros
  • Was solid in the three games he played last year.
  • Has some decent starting experience for a depth, swing tackle (23 starts in five seasons).
  • His 2019 cap number is a very reasonable $2.25 million.
  • Helps out by playing on 13% of the special teams snaps.
Cons
  • In five seasons has yet to find a permanent starting spot, could he hold up over an extended period of play?
  • 2020 cap hit would be very expensive if he is not a starter.
  • Consistency with his technique is an issue that can strike at different times.
BearForce
Yes

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2019/4/1/18289360/could-juan-thornhill-be-the-answer-at-safety-that-byron-jones-never-was-for-the-cowboys
BearForce
They must really feel good about Randy Gregory's situation

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001025003/article/cowboys-extend-randy-gregorys-contract-through-20
GoldMind
BearForce said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001025003/article/cowboys-extend-randy-gregorys-contract-through-20

At what point do we say "this has happend too many times, Randy. We love you but we cant trust you"
Winning by cheating is just as impressive as winning fairly, probably even more so. Your opponent was better than you in every way, and you beat them with your brain.
BearForce
GoldMind said:

BearForce said:

At what point do we say "this has happend too many times, Randy. We love you but we cant trust you"

Pride is a powerful drug
GoldMind
BearForce said:

GoldMind said:

BearForce said:

Pride is a powerful drug

One day Ill tell you about Tracy Collins
trey3216
GoldMind said:

BearForce said:

A lot of smoke that this has nothing to do with weed this time around. Randy may have missed one or more of his required therapy sessions and didn't let his accountability partner know where he was. Also, his stringent 'deal' from the NFL forbade him from drinking alcohol. His 'relapse' was very likely due to drinking alcohol on New Year's Day.
Assassin
BearForce said:

I think its a good investment, the cost is nothing in comparison to others, the biggest drawback is taking up one spot on the roster if there is a suspension
Assassin
From DFW Sportsday, 20 kids coming in for a looksee

Safety
Judging by this group, it's apparent that safety will be heavily considered at Pick 58. None of these four are expected to still be around when the Cowboys pick again in the third round.

Taylor Rapp, Washington
Johnathan Abram, Mississippi State
Juan Thornhill, Virginia
Chauncey Gardner-Johnson, Florida

Defensive tackle
The Cowboys have not drafted a defensive tackle in the first two rounds since they used the first overall pick on Russell Maryland in 1991. Although it's a position of need, don't be surprised if that streak continues.

Gerald Willis, Miami
Kingsley Keke, Texas A&M
Trysten Hill, Central Florida
John Cominsky, Charleston

Linebacker
There are much bigger needs than linebacker, but Damien Wilson signing with Kansas City last month has opened up a spot on the roster. This position can also provide an immediate boost to the special teams units.

Darius Harris, Middle Tennessee State
Dre Greenlaw, Arkansas
Christian Miller, Alabama

Cornerback
Byron Jones and Anthony Brown are entering the final year of their contracts. ChidobeAwuzie and Jourdan Lewis are only signed through 2020. Defensive backs coach Kris Richard likes tall corners. Westry, who was not invited to the combine, is 6-4 with a 38-inch vertical. He ran an unofficial 4.31-second 40-yard dash at Kentucky's pro day.

Chris Westry, Kentucky

Tight end
Even with the return of Jason Witten, the Cowboys could still afford to add another young tight end to the mix to compete with Blake Jarwin and Dalton Schultz for future playing time.

Dawson Knox, Ole Miss
Drew Sample, Washington

Wide receiver
Randall Cobb has the ability to be a nice replacement for Cole Beasley, but Cobb only signed for one year. Look for Dallas to add another young receiver to the group.

Deebo Samuel, South Carolina
Emmanuel Hall, Missouri
Mecole Hardman, Georgia

Running back
The Cowboys have been open about upgrading the running back position behind Ezekiel Elliott. Perhaps one of these players will end up being his next backup.

Damien Harris, Alabama
Mike Weber, Ohio State
Tony Pollard, Memphis
First Page Last Page
Page 289 of 845

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.