Football
Sponsored by

* * Dallas Cowboys * *

2,093,605 Views | 29773 Replies | Last: 6 hrs ago by BearkatBear
BearForce
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Assassin said:

Important personnel update:

Cowboys made a couple roster moves Monday, waiving linebacker Rashad Smith and signing punter Hunter Niswander to the practice squad. The club has veteran punter Chris Jones on the 53-man roster, but special teams coordinator John Fassel said Niswander, a former Northwestern punter, adds insurance at punter and place kicks/kickoffs in an emergency situation.

HERE.WE.GO.

NOWHERE
Assassin
BearForce said:

Assassin said:

Cowboys made a couple roster moves Monday, waiving linebacker Rashad Smith and signing punter Hunter Niswander to the practice squad. The club has veteran punter Chris Jones on the 53-man roster, but special teams coordinator John Fassel said Niswander, a former Northwestern punter, adds insurance at punter and place kicks/kickoffs in an emergency situation.

HERE.WE.GO.

NOWHERE
Whata ya mean? It's important that we have a backup punter and backup kicker on the roster
On Facebook at Memories of...
Dallas, Dallas Public, Texas, Texas Football, Texas Basketball, Texas Music, Memories From a Texas Window. Come see us!
trumpetbear
Assassin said:

BearForce said:

Assassin said:

HERE.WE.GO.

NOWHERE
Whata ya mean? It's important that we have a backup punter and backup kicker on the roster

Is David Buehler available?
trey3216

Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
BearForce
We got a ham sandwich

trumpetbear
Could become a 5th rounder though. That's a ham and cheese with no mayo.
BearForce
trumpetbear said:

Could become a 5th rounder though. That's a ham and cheese with no mayo.

Yep

trumpetbear
An interesting take from a poster on the Cowboys subreddit:

How to un-furk the Cowboys
Today I saw some rumors that the Patriots have been fielding calls for Stephon Gilmore. That got me thinking, if the Cowboys organization was well run and wanted to un-furk themselves in just one offseason, could they do it? I think the answer is yes, and here i'll lay out a plausible scenario to do just that.

Let's start by examining our needs. I'll place them into tiers based on the urgency of the need.

Tier one - IDL, CB, S, EDGE, LB or the entire defense if you prefer it that way

Tier two- C, OT, OG, WR (i'll explain)

Tier three- QB, RB

So to understand how a team could fill all of those needs in just one offseason, we need to understand the cap situation, and the contracts that need to be inked. As of right now, the Cowboys have approximately (~) $24 million in 2020 cap space. No one is sure what will happen to the cap in 2021, but we know that the cap is floored at $175m and the best case scenario is likely that the cap stays flat at ~$200m. So, we'll set up a range within which we know the cap will more than likely fall. If the cap falls to the floor, The Cowboys will be $2 million in the red against the 2021 cap. If the cap doesn't fall, The Cowboys will be ~$23m under the cap. Now, our offseason priorities should be (obviously) to sign Dak. I would also propose a contract extension for Aldon Smith (who has played at an admirable level given his history) to reduce the immediate need for an edge defender and allow us to sure up other spots in the 2021 draft (which is weak at the position)

So how do we make enough space to make that happen? Let's start with cuts. In a lost season, The Cowboys can stand to cut some dead weight, and free up more money for cap rollover.

CUT- Tyrone Crawford- the dude doesn't even play. Self explanatory. $8m in cap savings

CUT- Dontari Poe- don't need to explain this one either. $1.1m in cap savings

CUT- Daryl Worley- Worley has seen the field for less than 10% of snaps in the last few games. the return of awuzie makes this a no brainer. $1m in cap savings

CUT- Chris Jones- worst punter in the league for years, still has a huge contract. get this bum out of here. $2m in cap savings

So by making 4 cuts we have cleared $18m in cap space and trimmed some of the fat from our roster. It's impossible to know the exact details of their contracts, so assuming that as much as half of the cap figures have been paid out, you can still save $9m and lose no one valuable to the team. Now let's strap in for trades.

TRADE- Michael Gallup + 2021 3rd for Stephon Gilmore

What do the Patriots need the most? Receivers. Where are we the strongest? You guessed it. I love Michael Gallup as much as the next guy, but this season it's been obvious that he's the 3rd receiver in this offense. We've also seen Cedrick Wilson emerge as a threat. As great as he's been for us, Michael Gallup seems expendable at this point. He would immediately become the WR1 on the Pats and makes a tantalizing trade target with time still left on his rookie deal. With Albert Breer reporting that the Patriots would look for a 2nd or 3rd round pick for Gilmore (who needs a new contract), this is not only a fair trade, but one that could potentially be an overpay by the Cowboys. Some negotiating could be done to reduce the price.

TRADE- 2021 2nd for Quinnen Williams

An ascending first round DT talent, on a rookie deal, for a second round pick, currently playing under Gase who's famous for having players blow up as soon as they're out from under him? no brainer. Do it.

TRADE- Everson Griffen + 2021 7th for 2021 6th

The Buffalo Bills defense has regressed handsomely this season. They're pressuring the quarterback on a measley 4.8% of dropbacks, which is good for second worst in the league. For a team running away with their division and looking to make a deep playoff run, this trade makes sense. The Cowboys turn their 7th into a 6th and save $6.5m against the cap by doing so.

So in total with all of the moves, we've cleared a maximum (based on contract structures) of $24.5m in additional cap or a minimum of $15.5m. We've acquired Stephon Gilmore, who would bring a $15m cap hit this season, and a $15m cap hit next season. Either way, we've cleared cap space, acquiring Stephon Gilmore and Quinnen Williams while losing a bunch of spares on defense, and our beloved Michael Gallup. Net Positive.

So realistically we can roll over somewhere between $20m and $40m in cap, which is a large range, but again, I don't know the exact structures of the contracts involved. So in 2021 we're operating in a range that goes from ~$60m in cap and ~$30m in cap, based on how much the cap decreases and how much money we've managed to cut/trade. Now we have contracts to take care of. We need to sign Dak and Aldon and look to extend Gilmore. If Dak is signed, and not tagged, that will reduce his cap hit significantly in 2021. Singing Dak must be the top priority. After signing Dak, The Cowboys could offer Aldon a modest 2 or 3 year deal as a stop gap solution until the edge of the future can be drafted. Next, extend Gilmore, making his remaining year into a 4 year deal. Keep the $15m cap hit for the next year and spread the money down the road anticipating a cap explosion following COVID and the new TV deals.

Next up, the draft. By making some savvy moves, we've fixed our cornerback situation and drastically improved our DT situation. That makes our primary need LB in my mind. Seeing as we suck, we'll likely end up with a top 10 pick. The only guy worth drafting in the top 10 at our positions of need is Micah Parsons (in the more likely scenario that he's off the board, a trade down would be in order). Having Micah Parsons on this team is a total wet dream of mine. Imagine-

Aldon-Quinnen Williams-(anyone but Dontari Poe)-Tank

LVE- Jaylon Smith - Micah Parsons

-having 2 athletic freaks for linebackers that can tear from sideline to sideline and relegating Jaylon to the middle where he can't be beat to the edges on every play, while having an actual DT on the inside who doesn't get pushed 5 yards downfield every play and allows our LBs to fill their gaps and our EDGEs to pressure the quarterback without him being able to simply step up and avoid them. Meanwhile, you have Gilmore-Diggs-Brown as your corner group. Draft a safety or sign one in FA and you've put together a defense with top 10 potential. In one offseason. Next season we get Tyron, Collins, and Dak back, which should again take our offense into top 10 range, even without Gallup.

Jerry, if you're reading this, I know we like "our guys" but at a certain point (now) it's probably time to bring in some other guys who can help your team.

Thanks for coming to my TED Talk.
gobears20
Staff
trey3216
trumpetbear said:

Today I saw some rumors that the Patriots have been fielding calls for Stephon Gilmore. That got me thinking, if the Cowboys organization was well run and wanted to un-furk themselves in just one offseason, could they do it? I think the answer is yes, and here i'll lay out a plausible scenario to do just that.

Let's start by examining our needs. I'll place them into tiers based on the urgency of the need.

Tier three- QB, RB

So to understand how a team could fill all of those needs in just one offseason, we need to understand the cap situation, and the contracts that need to be inked. As of right now, the Cowboys have approximately (~) $24 million in 2020 cap space. No one is sure what will happen to the cap in 2021, but we know that the cap is floored at $175m and the best case scenario is likely that the cap stays flat at ~$200m. So, we'll set up a range within which we know the cap will more than likely fall. If the cap falls to the floor, The Cowboys will be $2 million in the red against the 2021 cap. If the cap doesn't fall, The Cowboys will be ~$23m under the cap. Now, our offseason priorities should be (obviously) to sign Dak. I would also propose a contract extension for Aldon Smith (who has played at an admirable level given his history) to reduce the immediate need for an edge defender and allow us to sure up other spots in the 2021 draft (which is weak at the position)

So how do we make enough space to make that happen? Let's start with cuts. In a lost season, The Cowboys can stand to cut some dead weight, and free up more money for cap rollover.

CUT- Tyrone Crawford- the dude doesn't even play. Self explanatory. $8m in cap savings

CUT- Daryl Worley- Worley has seen the field for less than 10% of snaps in the last few games. the return of awuzie makes this a no brainer. $1m in cap savings

CUT- Chris Jones- worst punter in the league for years, still has a huge contract. get this bum out of here. $2m in cap savings

So by making 4 cuts we have cleared $18m in cap space and trimmed some of the fat from our roster. It's impossible to know the exact details of their contracts, so assuming that as much as half of the cap figures have been paid out, you can still save $9m and lose no one valuable to the team. Now let's strap in for trades.

What do the Patriots need the most? Receivers. Where are we the strongest? You guessed it. I love Michael Gallup as much as the next guy, but this season it's been obvious that he's the 3rd receiver in this offense. We've also seen Cedrick Wilson emerge as a threat. As great as he's been for us, Michael Gallup seems expendable at this point. He would immediately become the WR1 on the Pats and makes a tantalizing trade target with time still left on his rookie deal. With Albert Breer reporting that the Patriots would look for a 2nd or 3rd round pick for Gilmore (who needs a new contract), this is not only a fair trade, but one that could potentially be an overpay by the Cowboys. Some negotiating could be done to reduce the price.

An ascending first round DT talent, on a rookie deal, for a second round pick, currently playing under Gase who's famous for having players blow up as soon as they're out from under him? no brainer. Do it.

The Buffalo Bills defense has regressed handsomely this season. They're pressuring the quarterback on a measley 4.8% of dropbacks, which is good for second worst in the league. For a team running away with their division and looking to make a deep playoff run, this trade makes sense. The Cowboys turn their 7th into a 6th and save $6.5m against the cap by doing so.

So in total with all of the moves, we've cleared a maximum (based on contract structures) of $24.5m in additional cap or a minimum of $15.5m. We've acquired Stephon Gilmore, who would bring a $15m cap hit this season, and a $15m cap hit next season. Either way, we've cleared cap space, acquiring Stephon Gilmore and Quinnen Williams while losing a bunch of spares on defense, and our beloved Michael Gallup. Net Positive.

So realistically we can roll over somewhere between $20m and $40m in cap, which is a large range, but again, I don't know the exact structures of the contracts involved. So in 2021 we're operating in a range that goes from ~$60m in cap and ~$30m in cap, based on how much the cap decreases and how much money we've managed to cut/trade. Now we have contracts to take care of. We need to sign Dak and Aldon and look to extend Gilmore. If Dak is signed, and not tagged, that will reduce his cap hit significantly in 2021. Singing Dak must be the top priority. After signing Dak, The Cowboys could offer Aldon a modest 2 or 3 year deal as a stop gap solution until the edge of the future can be drafted. Next, extend Gilmore, making his remaining year into a 4 year deal. Keep the $15m cap hit for the next year and spread the money down the road anticipating a cap explosion following COVID and the new TV deals.

Next up, the draft. By making some savvy moves, we've fixed our cornerback situation and drastically improved our DT situation. That makes our primary need LB in my mind. Seeing as we suck, we'll likely end up with a top 10 pick. The only guy worth drafting in the top 10 at our positions of need is Micah Parsons (in the more likely scenario that he's off the board, a trade down would be in order). Having Micah Parsons on this team is a total wet dream of mine. Imagine-

-having 2 athletic freaks for linebackers that can tear from sideline to sideline and relegating Jaylon to the middle where he can't be beat to the edges on every play, while having an actual DT on the inside who doesn't get pushed 5 yards downfield every play and allows our LBs to fill their gaps and our EDGEs to pressure the quarterback without him being able to simply step up and avoid them. Meanwhile, you have Gilmore-Diggs-Brown as your corner group. Draft a safety or sign one in FA and you've put together a defense with top 10 potential. In one offseason. Next season we get Tyron, Collins, and Dak back, which should again take our offense into top 10 range, even without Gallup.

Jerry, if you're reading this, I know we like "our guys" but at a certain point (now) it's probably time to bring in some other guys who can help your team.

I think we can save another $9mm or so by making Jaylon a post June 1 cut. Jaylon can't play in this league. His lateral movement is embarrassingly poor.
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
BearForce
trey3216 said:

trumpetbear said:

Tier three- QB, RB

I think we can save another $9mm or so by making Jaylon a post June 1 cut. Jaylon can't play in this league. His lateral movement is embarrassingly poor.

Im not totally sure about that as he moves laterally well enough to run himself out of plays just fine.
BearForce
trumpetbear said:

Tier three- QB, RB

Interesting read but he is wrong on Crawford in that this is the last year of his contract so he needed be cut before the season started. You cut him now and you are just paying him to not be on your team.
GoldMind
gobears20 said:

Is this real lol

Keep laughing, ****face.
Winning by cheating is just as impressive as winning fairly, probably even more so. Your opponent was better than you in every way, and you beat them with your brain.
BearForce
7: R1 P7 CB Shaun Wade - Ohio State
39: R2 P7 DL Marvin Wilson - Florida State
71: R3 P7 S Caden Sterns - Texas
98: R3 P34 LB Jack Sanborn - Wisconsin
109: R4 P7 CB Ambry Thomas - Michigan
136: R4 P34 S James Wiggins - Cincinnati
176: R5 P35 EDGE Patrick Jones II - Pittsburgh
218: R6 P39 G Sadarius Hutcherson - South Carolina
230: R7 P7 EDGE William Bradley-King - Baylor
BearForce
Assassin
[url=https://twitter.com/GehlkenNFL][/url]
Dallas, Dallas Public, Texas, Texas Football, Texas Basketball, Texas Music, Memories From a Texas Window. Come see us!
BearForce
Wichitabear
GoldMind said:

gobears20 said:

Is this real lol

Keep laughing, ****face.
Goldmind always nice things to say
BearForce
It literally took these jackasses 7 weeks to figure this out...holy crap do we suck!

Assassin
BearForce said:

It literally took these jackasses 7 weeks to figure this out...holy crap do we suck!

no kidding
Wichitabear
Unreal. When I was in high school, twirlers got weighed just about every other week and if you didn't look nice in your costume, you didn't twirl. My point was even in band If your over weight, you got the ax as a twirler. Lol ok lolol
BearForce
BearForce
So Atlanta's win tonight puts us in good position to move up to #7 in the draft assuming we get roasted in Philly.

Additionally, if any of the teams ahead of us, besides the Jets, win then we would move ahead of them based upon win percentage and strength of schedule.

Assassin
Based on all the craziness of 2020 -- pandemic, no mini-camps, reduced training camp, injuries, etc., does this coaching staff get a "pass" for this season in the evaluation process or can we still hold them accountable? JOEY SAYSON / SANTA MONICA, CA

David: Maybe this is unfair, but I can't help but think about Matt Rhule in Carolina. He has never coached in the NFL, he inherited one of the worst rosters in the league and he also faced all the same COVID-related challenges as Mike McCarthy. He's even dealt with major injuries, such as the loss of Christian McCaffrey for most of this young season. And no, the Panthers aren't good. They're only one game better than the Cowboys. But they've looked a heck of a lot more competitive in most of those games. Carolina has lost four games by a combined score of 28 points, which was the same margin of victory as the Cardinals-Cowboys game. So, to summarize: no. I understand the Cowboys are dealing with some very adverse circumstances, but you don't get passes in the NFL.
Assassin
BearForce said:

taco ouch

TJ and DLaw at the edges would have made one heck of a tandem
Assassin
PFN Mock. for some reason it wouldnt allow trades

Trey Lance
QB North Dakota State

Eric Stokes
CB Georgia

Tyler Shelvin
DT LSU

Jack Anderson
OG Texas Tech

Spencer Brown
OT Northern Iowa

Mustafa Johnson
DT Colorado

BearForce
Assassin said:

BearForce said:

taco ouch

Damn right! Then again maybe Taco isn't so bad and its about coaching, just like we saw with Tristen Hill before his injury.
Assassin
BearForce said:

Assassin said:

BearForce said:

taco ouch

Damn right! Then again maybe Taco isn't so bad and its about coaching, just like we saw with Tristen Hill before his injury.
Unfortunately the whole coaching staff apparently concentrated on Tristen and forgot about the rest of the team...
BearForce
trumpetbear
So this is where the rebuild starts

BearForce

Wichitabear
BearForce said:

very readable! Lol
Wichitabear
trumpetbear said:

wonder why we did this?
BearForce
Wichitabear said:

BearForce said:

very readable! Lol

LOL, thanks. I find it looks better when I do a screen shot from my phone and then attach the picture.
BearForce
Wichitabear said:

trumpetbear said:

wonder why we did this?

So I lampooned this move at first but then I remembered that the two times the guy went on waivers, it was Jacksonville and Houston who claimed him so they would have had higher priority than us. Now is he worth a 7th round pick, not so sure.
First Page Last Page
Page 490 of 851

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.