Football
Sponsored by

Hunting for the Next Coach

27,799 Views | 163 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by FLBear5630
ScrappyPaws
How long do you want to ignore this user?
guadalupeoso said:

Jeff Traylor is your first call, but he'll say no. He's turned down big jobs to stay at UTSA. He's not leaving for Baylor. He'll wait for Texas A&M, Florida, Texas (not that that job is opening any time soon), etc. to come calling.

My vote is for Jaimey Chadwell, Ryan Grubb, or Willie Fritz. I like the idea of GJ Kinne, but it's too early to tell. Although Garrett Riley has not had a great season at Clemson this year, i'd be interested in hearing his pitch as well.

GJ Kinne and Jeff Traylor are perfect choices. Funny fact I didn't know previously, Traylor was Kinne's head coach his senior year at Gilmer HS.
Robert Wilson
ScrappyPaws said:

guadalupeoso said:

Jeff Traylor is your first call, but he'll say no. He's turned down big jobs to stay at UTSA. He's not leaving for Baylor. He'll wait for Texas A&M, Florida, Texas (not that that job is opening any time soon), etc. to come calling.

My vote is for Jaimey Chadwell, Ryan Grubb, or Willie Fritz. I like the idea of GJ Kinne, but it's too early to tell. Although Garrett Riley has not had a great season at Clemson this year, i'd be interested in hearing his pitch as well.
GJ Kinne and Jeff Traylor are perfect choices. Funny fact I didn't know previously, Traylor was Kinne's head coach his senior year at Gilmer HS.
Traylor would be a homerun. Kinne is riskier given his short resume, but could work out really well. He and his father are deeply connected in TX HS circles.
oorahpa
Tom Herman would be interesting. Kinne and the UTSA guy. Need a big hire with an exciting offense and the freedom to being in 50 new guys. Pump in the life. Texas guys to re recruited Texas players.
John Heard

ImABearToo
And remove the handcuffs Mack and let a coach recruit.
“Life is short, eat desert first!”
jikespingleton
Pecos 45 said:

I say go with a successful Texas HS coach, much like we did with Briles who won numerous HS state championships at Stephenville

It's not like we rolled by Stephenville and picked him up.

Briles had five years of HC experience at UH before we hired him.
guadalupeoso
oorahpa said:

Tom Herman would be interesting. Kinne and the UTSA guy. Need a big hire with an exciting offense and the freedom to being in 50 new guys. Pump in the life. Texas guys to re recruited Texas players.
A lot of people would b**** and moan about Tom Herman, but I think that would be a solid hire. I would welcome that.
PartyBear
guadalupeoso said:

oorahpa said:

A lot of people would b**** and moan about Tom Herman, but I think that would be a solid hire. I would welcome that.
I think oddly enough the reason we gambled on Rhoades as AD, he was on the hot seat after 7 months at Mizzou at the time, was to get Herman. Texas seemingly rather abruptly fired Strong, I to this day believe, to get Herman before we could get a deal secretly done with him and got him first.
oorahpa
Need a strong Texas guy with a Briles offense. I know it's Art Briles! Perfect hire to resurrect the dead BOR team!
John Heard

Killing Floor
Tom Herman is a terrible, wholly uncompetitive football coach but he's a very good man and I could actually see him as a perfect fit here. Won't win more games but then again we won't win fewer either.
Let’s Go!
guadalupeoso
Killing Floor said:

Tom Herman is a terrible, wholly uncompetitive football coach but he's a very good man and I could actually see him as a perfect fit here. Won't win more games but then again we won't win fewer either.

This is just patently false. He's won a national championship as an OC and has won NY6 games at Texas and Houston. I'm not saying he would have made Texas a national title contender, but they did fire him too soon. Sark hasn't achieved anything that Tom Herman didn't.
Killing Floor
His record there has been published. I suppose it's fair to agree that 4 loss season in that program is different than a 4 loss season at Baylor.

Regardless, he was a good assistant. Just like Aranda.
We already have a good assistant who won a natty as an assistant.
Let’s Go!
guadalupeoso
Killing Floor said:

His record there has been published. I suppose it's fair to agree that 4 loss season in that program is different than a 4 loss season at Baylor.

Regardless, he was a good assistant. Just like Aranda.
We already have a good assistant who won a natty as an assistant.
I would say that he has a more successful head coaching resume as a whole than Dave Aranda. Also, you didn't say, "eh, I think we can do better - he was only mediocre at Texas." You said "terrible, wholly uncompetitive football coach." Which is just untrue. It would be untrue about Aranda as well. Maybe Aranda isn't working out as our head coach but terrible and wholly uncompetitive would be hyperbole.

Chad Morris, Guy Morriss, etc. would be a better depiction of terrible and wholly uncompetitive.
Daveisabovereproach
ImABearToo said:

the main "handcuffs" come from having very little NIL money and a head coach with a dud personality and no real niche. We can fix the latter, not sure we can fix the former
ImABearToo
Looking at other schools and we just appear to be putting boys up against men. Bad as tcu is, and Tech not much better, their players just look like some dudes compared to our "boys."
“Life is short, eat desert first!”
Daveisabovereproach
ImABearToo said:

Looking at other schools and we just appear to be putting boys up against men. Bad as tcu is, and Tech not much better, their players just look like some dudes compared to our "boys."

Losing James Blanchard hurt. The guy had an ego, but his recruiting strategy was smart. We did a much better job of finding lanky guys with big frames that could put on a lot of weight and become strong. I couldn't tell you what our strategy is nowadays. we basically just offer guys that we feel like we can get. I admit I'm not following recruiting very closely, but we don't seem to win recruiting battles for linemen with multiple P5 offers.
Killing Floor
I can look at how we performed at home against Texas Tech and hyperbole seems in order.
Yes, Herman is not the worst coach Texas has had.
And Aranda is not the worst coach Baylor has had. But it's not hyperbole to say that the team is terrible right now and worse, terrible in a weak schedule.

As Lombardi allegedly said. "Winning is a habit, unfortunately so is losing".

Let’s Go!
FLBear5630
guadalupeoso said:

oorahpa said:

I think Herman would fit Baylor better than he did at UT. I think he would do well.
EuropeBear
One key is to get a coach who is capable of dumping 75% of the roster and replacing with portal talent. If they don't do that, we'll be in for a multiple year gamble. We don't have time for that with more realignment risk ahead.
FLBear5630
EuropeBear said:

One key is to get a coach who is capable of dumping 75% of the roster and replacing with portal talent. If they don't do that, we'll be in for a multiple year gamble. We don't have time for that with more realignment risk ahead.
Gundy, Gundy, Gundy...
Killing Floor
I hate to be the one to break this but there has already been realignment. The good news is Bu is still in the same conference.
jikespingleton
Killing Floor said:

You have things completely backwards on this.

He is a very competent coach but if we are to believe the interwebs, he is kind of sleazy.
FLBear5630
Killing Floor said:

I hate to be the one to break this but there has already been realignment. The good news is Bu is still in the same conference.

Next one is coming. This is not the end game. Top 48 or so will move to superleague. When we were on top it was a crap shoot. Now....
PaperBear89
No Quarterback said:

ImABearToo said:

the main "handcuffs" come from having very little NIL money and a head coach with a dud personality and no real niche. We can fix the latter, not sure we can fix the former

We fix the former by having an administration with some balls to fully use NIL to the limit and not worry about the feckless NCAA.
Daveisabovereproach
PaperBear89 said:

No Quarterback said:

ImABearToo said:

We fix the former by having an administration with some balls to fully use NIL to the limit and not worry about the feckless NCAA.

Agreed, but have you seen Mack and Linda? I think they would make great accountants, but neither of them are leaders in any way shape or form
Oldbear83
No Quarterback said:

PaperBear89 said:

No Quarterback said:

ImABearToo said:

Agreed, but have you seen Mack and Linda? I think they would make great accountants, but neither of them are leaders in any way shape or form
As an accountant, I can say we do not count Mack and Linda as exemplars in our field, either.
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
LIB,MR BEARS
FLBear5630 said:

guadalupeoso said:

oorahpa said:

I think Herman would fit Baylor better than he did at UT. I think he would do well.
only in the sense that opposites attract
PaperBear89
LIB,MR BEARS said:

FLBear5630 said:

guadalupeoso said:

oorahpa said:

I would almost suffer more losing seasons just for the entertainment value of seeing Herman and Mack have epic ego clashes.
FLBear5630
LIB,MR BEARS said:

FLBear5630 said:

guadalupeoso said:

oorahpa said:

Well, he figured out how to win in Houston. We can't get Briles. So... Need someone that has won as an underdog. Flecks not leaving B10 for B12!
soren
Wasn't Kinne a one-time Baylor commit in the Guy Morris era? I think he de-committed and signed with UT or another program, but at one point was listed as a three-star dual QB commit to Baylor iirc.
vg1984
I think he was. He would be my pick for the next coach. I see the excitement and winning he has done at tx state and what he did to us the first game of the year.
johnnychimpo
Just curious how much money would realistically be available to pay the next HC if CDA was bought out in the next 13 months while also having to buy out a decent G5 coach who just started a new 5-8 year contract?
FLBear5630
johnnychimpo said:

Just curious how much money would realistically be able to pay the next HC if CDA was bought out in the next 13 months while also having to buy out a decent G5 coach who just started a new 5-8 year contract?
And if we can't buy him out, how does he re-create himself and his staff? Status quo is not going to cut it, as he said the Locker Room is broken.
Assassin
Sticking with a largely unknown (here, not in coaches circles) Ties to Texas, Oklahoma Offensive coordinator Jay Valai. Played safety at Wisconsin. Coached at Texas, Rutgers and Alabama and quality control at Georgia and the KC Chiefs. Recruiting is his specialty.
On Facebook at Memories of...
Dallas, Dallas Public, Texas, Texas Football, Texas Basketball, Texas Music, Memories From a Texas Window. Come see us!
morethanhecouldbear
BU82EX said:

Logical Prediction - someone like Traylor

Crazy Prediction - Deebo
We know he would not be afraid to recruit in the hood

Krieg
guadalupeoso said:

Killing Floor said:

This is just patently false. He's won a national championship as an OC and has won NY6 games at Texas and Houston. I'm not saying he would have made Texas a national title contender, but they did fire him too soon. Sark hasn't achieved anything that Tom Herman didn't.

He was fired, in part, because he had an affair with Kendra Scott. Despite that not mattering for Regent positions here I bet that would kill a chance of him being offered a job here. Herman is also a bit of a loose cannon, but that might fly more under the radar here than in Austin. Regardless, I'd take him over what we have today. His teams weren't great but he improved them over Strong's teams. He also didn't get get long enough despite improving the program. Maybe there's more scandal there that went unreported? No idea.

That whole part of the saga was hilarious seeing as how Strong had an affair with a Trustee's wife at Louisville but that was ok until he lost too many games.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.