Football
Sponsored by

Hunting for the Next Coach

27,935 Views | 163 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by FLBear5630
FLBear5630
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Killing Floor said:

Now I'm picturing Dave Aranda making somebody run laps for losing a drill. That's it, my brain shut down.
Have to reset the concept of competition and that you want to win. Not try hard, not show good sportsmanship, but to the winner goes the spoils. BU does not have that...
Killing Floor
Yes. But I find it interesting that we do on the hard court. Our basketball team is known more for brutal protection in the paint than finesse shooting. More accurately we're the team good teams don't want to play because of the physicality. Think about a hitter forward like Sochan, for example. We don't have guys on the gridiron like that, guys that put fear in opponents.
Let’s Go!
FLBear5630
Killing Floor said:

Yes. But I find it interesting that we do on the hard court. Our basketball team is known more for brutal protection in the paint than finesse shooting. More accurately we're the team good teams don't want to play because of the physicality. Think about a hitter forward like Sochan, for example. We don't have guys on the gridiron like that, guys that put fear in opponents.

Really? I also thought we were more of a finesse team that ran into trouble in Tourney with physical teams.
hodedofome
https://t.co/UhLi5wNv6S
morethanhecouldbear
jikespingleton said:

Krieg said:

jikespingleton said:

No Quarterback said:

jikespingleton said:

No Quarterback said:

jikespingleton said:

ZachTay said:

jikespingleton said:

ZachTay said:

Nick Rolovich

Look it up.........
The dolt that wouldn't get vaccinated?

You think he's the guy we should bring in?
You need a new internet.......

Appears to be the case.

You think we should give him a look?

It's ironic that we degrade a guy for standing by his convictions and refusing to have something done to his body and accepting the consequences of that (losing his job) like a man
Interesting take.

I see it as a state employee who deliberately refused to follow instructions in regards to health and safety and then tried to hide behind religion as a cover. Nothing honorable about that at all.

You can drop the faux politeness with that "interesting take" stuff. You probably think the guy is stupid, so just say. Do you let the government dictate your morality? our government also thought it was perfectly fine to murder unborn babies for years and years. God dictates morality, not the United States government. When the government told Christians that they couldn't assemble in church because of health and safety, many Christians disobeyed the government and did it anyway. I respect that. A Christian has to obey God over man, though I do agree that we are subject to the government otherwise. But I think that you dodged the point that I made that we have people in another thread telling Aranda to do the "right thing" and quit so that we don't have to pay him, and we bash somebody for taking a principled stand that hurt their career at a different school.

It's not false politeness. I learned a long time ago that if you start a response with "Hey moron" it is far less likely to be received.

My comment was on Rolovich and nothing else.

If you care about someone's vaccine status in regards to hiring them
I wouldn't hire him because he was meh at Hawaii and 5-6 at WSU.
Who would your hire?
Stefano DiMera
Apparently Jamey Chadwell posted an innocent tweet on Monday promoting his coaches show on Wednesday.

What he forgot to do is turn off the location service on the tweet that showed he was in Starkville MS.

The tweet has since been deleted.
jikespingleton
morethanhecouldbear said:

jikespingleton said:

Krieg said:

jikespingleton said:

No Quarterback said:

jikespingleton said:

No Quarterback said:

jikespingleton said:

ZachTay said:

jikespingleton said:

ZachTay said:

Nick Rolovich

Look it up.........
The dolt that wouldn't get vaccinated?

You think he's the guy we should bring in?
You need a new internet.......

Appears to be the case.

You think we should give him a look?

It's ironic that we degrade a guy for standing by his convictions and refusing to have something done to his body and accepting the consequences of that (losing his job) like a man
Interesting take.

I see it as a state employee who deliberately refused to follow instructions in regards to health and safety and then tried to hide behind religion as a cover. Nothing honorable about that at all.

You can drop the faux politeness with that "interesting take" stuff. You probably think the guy is stupid, so just say. Do you let the government dictate your morality? our government also thought it was perfectly fine to murder unborn babies for years and years. God dictates morality, not the United States government. When the government told Christians that they couldn't assemble in church because of health and safety, many Christians disobeyed the government and did it anyway. I respect that. A Christian has to obey God over man, though I do agree that we are subject to the government otherwise. But I think that you dodged the point that I made that we have people in another thread telling Aranda to do the "right thing" and quit so that we don't have to pay him, and we bash somebody for taking a principled stand that hurt their career at a different school.

It's not false politeness. I learned a long time ago that if you start a response with "Hey moron" it is far less likely to be received.

My comment was on Rolovich and nothing else.

If you care about someone's vaccine status in regards to hiring them
I wouldn't hire him because he was meh at Hawaii and 5-6 at WSU.
Who would your hire?
Not sure, but I would interview Curt Cignetti, Fritz and Chadwell and go from there.
Assassin
wouldnt it be something to get Mike Singletary in here as HC? That would open one heck of a lot of doors
On Facebook at Memories of...
Dallas, Dallas Public, Texas, Texas Football, Texas Basketball, Texas Music, Memories From a Texas Window. Come see us!
jikespingleton
Assassin said:

wouldnt it be something to get Mike Singletary in here as HC? That would open one heck of a lot of doors
Ya, something awful.

Great dude, great Bear (Baylor), great Bear (Chicago). Poor HC.

Being a great player in the NFL does not mean you can lead a program. I would guess that more often than not the great players turn out to be poor head coaches. It's not a knock, just that they are jobs that require completely different skill sets.

Mike is something like 3-27 in his last two head coaching stops; a high school and a semi pro league.
BUrbon
WA Jim said:

How about the guy at Oregon State?

A group in aggieland wants to talk to him
FLBear5630
jikespingleton said:

Assassin said:

Ya, something awful.

Playing the game does not mean you can lead a program. In fact, more often than not the great players turn out to be poor coaches. It's not a knock, just that they are completely different skill sets.

Mike is something like 3-27 in his last two head coaching stops; a high school and a semi pro league.

I would say good players in general make poor analyst or coaches. It came too easy for them and have a hard time understanding that not everyone can do it like they did. There is a difference between winning the genetic lottery and being able to teach.
jikespingleton
FLBear5630 said:

jikespingleton said:

Assassin said:

Ya, something awful.

Playing the game does not mean you can lead a program. In fact, more often than not the great players turn out to be poor coaches. It's not a knock, just that they are completely different skill sets.

I would say good players in general make poor analyst or coaches. It came too easy for them and have a hard time understanding that not everyone can do it like they did. There is a difference between winning the genetic lottery and being able to teach.

Who are some of the best coaches in the NFL over the past 10 years? I'm guessing none of them were great players but I could be wrong. Belicheat, Reid, Sean Payton.

Genetics can only take you so far. To become great, or even good in the NFL, you have to work your ass off.
BigGameBaylorBear
Johnny Manziel is a good example of that
jikespingleton
example of what?
BigGameBaylorBear
He was athletic and naturally good at football but couldn't have been bothered to study and watch film in the NFL, ultimately getting booted from the league
FLBear5630
jikespingleton said:

FLBear5630 said:

jikespingleton said:

Assassin said:

Ya, something awful.

Who are some of the best coaches in the NFL over the past 10 years? I'm guessing none of them were great players but I could be wrong. Belicheat, Reid, Sean Payton.

Genetics can only take you so far. To become great, or even good in the NFL, you have to work your ass off.
Yes, but without the requisite genetics all the work in the world will not get you on a P5 roster. There are alot of people that work just as hard or harder that don't get the results necessary.

My Brother won the genetic lottery, won a National Championship and is a coach for the last G5/P5 coach for the last 25 years. I could outwork him all day long and will never be 6'5 305 and run a 5.1 40 as an OT. I could never have the lateral movement, read and react skills to play ILB even when I did get to 6' 230, Spielman was special. That is what makes them great.

But, they also have a hard time teaching, because they say do this kick-step as an OT and can't understand why the kid can't do it. That was the hardest thing my brother said about going from player to coach. Also, nonn-players or not good players notice things that good players don't. You can know a game, be good at analyzing and not be a player at the highest level.

The fans opinions on here are just as valid and may be more right than the "coaches" and "players" on the Board. Coaches ignore the message board vibe at their own peril, that is a lesson I have observed over the last 30 years. The vibe on the Board, becomse the vibe in the Athletic Center at some point...
bear2be2
FLBear5630 said:

jikespingleton said:

Assassin said:

Ya, something awful.

I agree. Many of the best baseball managers in history have been overachieving catchers and utility guys. And you see that in football and basketball, too. Those for whom games came easy rarely make the best teachers.
Quinton
FLBear5630 said:

Killing Floor said:

Really? I also thought we were more of a finesse team that ran into trouble in Tourney with physical teams.
That was pre 2019 and last year's perfect storm into 2023. The title team and 2022 when healthy mauled teams. Sampson's best team at Hou might have been 2021 and their style is essentially to try and grind you into the ground. Our team overwhelmed them physically first.. high skill level was also there yes but that team pounded a lot of teams out (Hou & Gonzaga). 2022 mauled Villanova and others before injuries.
FLBear5630
bear2be2 said:

FLBear5630 said:

jikespingleton said:

Assassin said:

Ya, something awful.

I agree. Many of the best baseball managers in history have been overachieving catchers and utility guys. And you see that in football and basketball, too. Those for whom games came easy rarely make the best teachers.

We are on the same page. What is funny, sitting on a bowl team is a great achievement compared to the rest of us mortals. We all reach physical levels where we check out, it is a fact. Even Jerry Rice and LT reached a pint they could t anymore.

I just get aggravated when those that play or coach downplay or insult those that just watch. Rich Rodriquez once told me at a camp that they teach the same things as middle school and HS only faster and with less margin of error. Really appreciated that. We also all have different risk tolerances and approaches to meet the same goals.
jikespingleton
FLBear5630 said:

jikespingleton said:

FLBear5630 said:

jikespingleton said:

Assassin said:

Ya, something awful.

Yes, but without the requisite genetics all the work in the world will not get you on a P5 roster. There are alot of people that work just as hard or harder that don't get the results necessary.
There is definitely a baseline, or minimum level of genetic blessing that is required.

I'll circle back to the beginning - I don't think Mike as a HC is the answer to our problems.
FLBear5630
jikespingleton said:

FLBear5630 said:

jikespingleton said:

FLBear5630 said:

jikespingleton said:

Assassin said:

Ya, something awful.

There is definitely a baseline, or minimum level of genetic blessing that is required.

I'll circle back to the beginning - I don't think Mike as a HC is the answer to our problems.
I agree.

I do think we need someone that is aggressive, like Briles was. Briles did not let BU get left out of the discussion. This passive good guy stuff is not the ticket in this environment.
Oldbear83
FLBear5630 said:

jikespingleton said:

FLBear5630 said:

jikespingleton said:

FLBear5630 said:

jikespingleton said:

Assassin said:

Ya, something awful.

I agree.

I do think we need someone that is aggressive, like Briles was. Briles did not let BU get left out of the discussion. This passive good guy stuff is not the ticket in this environment.
Agreed. It should be possible to learn from what Briles did right, without assuming we have to hire him or someone who would make the same mistakes he did.
Realitybites
jikespingleton said:

That's the guy we need - and he doesn't have to be from Texas.

The problem is that the administration has allowed the program to deteriorate so much that recruiting is going to be difficult. We're going to be losing recruiting battles to not just UT and OU, but TCU and Tech.

Rebuilding is going to take someone who can identify the right high school players and that is going to take contacts.
FLBear5630
Realitybites said:

jikespingleton said:

That's the guy we need - and he doesn't have to be from Texas.

The problem is that the administration has allowed the program to deteriorate so much that recruiting is going to be difficult. We're going to be losing recruiting battles to not just UT and OU, but TCU and Tech.

Rebuilding is going to take someone who can identify the right high school players and that is going to take contacts.

Will there be another RG3? Briles caught lightning in a bottle with him and elevated the program. It was a combo of great player and Coach willing to take risk and let him be RG3 not some picket passer or Zone Read Pat White.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.