Football
Sponsored by

Hunting for the Next Coach

25,595 Views | 163 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by FLBear5630
Oldbear83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
jikespingleton said:

ImABearToo said:

a splash hire with STRONG Texas ties salvages
I love the enthusiasm but unfortunately, we have never made a splash hire and will likely never make a splash hire.

Our success is going to be rooted in finding a G5 guy who has proven he can build programs into conference winners. That's the guy we need - and he doesn't have to be from Texas.
Ironic. Aranda was a splash hire at the time, so was Rhule before him.

The problem is our best coaches were largely unknown at the time. Teaff of course the one-in-a-generation hire.
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
Stapponit
We could get a fantastic coach who can win, but I don't know how much the administration would want control. In the effort to avoid the crimes under Briles, Baylor will avoid coaches and athletes that are really good because some of them may have had problems in the past. No good coach wants to have someone looking over their shoulder questioning the choice of recruits. It was a fun period of time that hopefully can be regained sometime in the future.
Daveisabovereproach
(Copied from another thread)

I've heard from a couple folks who are in the know that nothing is going to happen this year no matter what. Mack called up some big donors to gauge their interest in buying aranda out and was told to pound sand. Money was exhausted in the recent facility projects, economy sucks, and there's a general feeling of apathy around the program

Best bet is to quit giving money and attending games, and find other stuff to do on the weekends in the fall until the end of next year.
RightRevBear
BellCountyBear said:

RightRevBear said:

Jeff Traylor would be a good candidate. K.C. Keeler from Sam Houston might be another option.
Sam Houston is absolutely terrible this year!

No they aren't great this year. They just transferred up to FBS. They did win the FBS championship in 2020.
jikespingleton
Oldbear83 said:

jikespingleton said:

ImABearToo said:

I love the enthusiasm but unfortunately, we have never made a splash hire and will likely never make a splash hire.

Our success is going to be rooted in finding a G5 guy who has proven he can build programs into conference winners. That's the guy we need - and he doesn't have to be from Texas.

The problem is our best coaches were largely unknown at the time. Teaff of course the one-in-a-generation hire.
Your version of splash hire must be quite a bit different than mine.

Guys with no head coaching experience (aranda) or that 90% of the fanbase has never heard of, don't know what conference they are coming from and not sure what state they recently coached in (Rhule via Temple) don't qualify as splash hires to me.
Jailynhacobi
Gundy, if he were to join, likely lacks interest in us. The Linebet App https://lnbtbet.com/app/ allows you to place bets anytime, anywhere, giving you the freedom and flexibility to engage in your favorite betting activities whenever it suits you best.

Doc Holliday
I'd hire Dabo or Traylor as HC and Will Stein as OC.
Daveisabovereproach
Don't forget that whoever we hire is going to have to meet the subjective character requirements of the powers that be
Killing Floor
Dabo Swinney? $115 Million contract through 2032 Dabo?
Is there another coach called Dabo or is that the one we should hire while we can't afford to fire Dave Aranda?
Let’s Go!
ImABearToo
Rinse and repeat!
“Life is short, eat desert first!”
RightRevBear
Killing Floor said:

Is there another coach called Dabo or is that the one we should hire while we can't afford to fire Dave Aranda?

If Clemson let's him go, which I don't see happening, he would be a great fit with Baylor's culture. He has gotten into some trouble in the past at Clemson for hosting Bible studies for the team, etc. I doubt he becomes available or that we could afford him.
TinFoilHatPreacherBear
RightRevBear said:

Killing Floor said:

If Clemson let's him go, which I don't see happening, he would be a great fit with Baylor's culture. He has gotten into some trouble in the past at Clemson for hosting Bible studies for the team, etc. I doubt he becomes available or that we could afford him.
1) He's not being let go this year or next.
2) We won't be able to compete $$$ against other big schools that would want him.
3) Only hope is that if he, as a very wealthy man, did become available, that the strong culture fit and reasonable loss tolerance would be attractive to him. Certainly a better lifestyle for him from that perspective, Our fans would certainly be better than Clemson fans, and the school and fans would gladly let him lead Bible studies in hopes of bringing men closer to Christ.
ilikebu
Pecos 45
I say go with a successful Texas HS coach, much like we did with Briles who won numerous HS state championships at Stephenville, and McGuire who won at Cedar Hill.
Right now I'd look at Hank Carter, the head coach at Lake Travis.
He's won several state championships and would give us a first-name-basis with every HS coach in Texas.

Check him out here.
“If you have a job without aggravations, you don’t have a job.”
Malcolm Forbes
Killing Floor
Him and Chad also have a track record of developing good players to great. Briles did that. Same comment about T Dodge. Man, it was tough watching my own kid go against those cats. I think Dodge is just retired though so he wouldn't be a target.
Let’s Go!
EvilTroyAndAbed
Oldbear83 said:

jikespingleton said:

ImABearToo said:

Neither of them were splash hires. Nor was Briles. The splashiest hire we had was Morriss.
ImABearToo
To stop this derailment from getting any worse there should be someone out there, an experienced HC, that can come in and salvage what's left and give some hope to the fan base, recruits and current roster. A recognized name and not some up and comer that Agents are pitching to AD's as the next Saben. One more year of this insanity and recovery time will be measured in generations.
BearFan33
Rumor has it we can't fire DA until the end of next season due to financial reasons. Everything looks that that is where we are headed.

I think we should take a strong look at G J Kinne. You know the guy that beat us first game of the season. He has strong Texas roots and could bring his whole coaching staff with him.....maybe some players too. Just because he backed out of commitment to us when he was a player, doesn't mean he hates his dad's alma mater. If he does, then look elsewhere.

We could probably get him for a price we can afford and he's young. Maybe a Scott Drew kind of situation.
Reverend
jikespingleton said:

ImABearToo said:

Briles already had it, and Rhule knew how important it was. Having a friend coaching the kid you're recruiting can't hurt anything. Also, high school coaches you trust (and who are your friend) can be pretty good evaluators. Considering who we are and where we are, having strong Texas ties in our coaching staff is vitally important.
Pecos 45
Killing Floor said:

Him and Chad also have a track record of developing good players to great. Briles did that. Same comment about T Dodge. Man, it was tough watching my own kid go against those cats. I think Dodge is just retired though so he wouldn't be a target.
Yes, they did.
But it's the network of Texas HS coaches that will juice our recruiting.
To have the coach of a top-rated kid returning your phone calls is pretty important.
And right now Texas is producing the top college talent.
Malcolm Forbes
Pecos 45
ImABearToo said:

To stop this derailment from getting any worse there should be someone out there, an experienced HC, that can come in and salvage what's left and give some hope to the fan base, recruits and current roster. A recognized name and not some up and comer that Agents are pitching to AD's as the next Saben. One more year of this insanity and recovery time will be measured in generations.
Briles was not a recognized name when he came here.
Neither was Teaff.
Malcolm Forbes
ImABearToo
Lotta people knew about Art from his SHS days but more than anything he had been an OC and HC, not learning on the job.
RightRevBear
ImABearToo said:

Lotta people knew about Art from his SHS days but more than anything he had been an OC and HC, not learning on the job.

That is one of the reasons I like Traylor for the job.
LIB,MR BEARS
Smashmouth said:

How bout the Washington coach?

I hate The Nationals
LIB,MR BEARS
RightRevBear said:

Jeff Traylor would be a good candidate. K.C. Keeler from Sam Houston might be another option.

Keeler over Traylor

…for now
ScottS
I'd say CAB or coach Prime.
ImABearToo
Spitballing here but what about Phil Montgomery? Early days OC when Art was getting things going at BU, left before the "scandal." HC at Tulsa and now OC at Auburn. Not stained by the BOR's torching of the program.
TinFoilHatPreacherBear
Pecos 45 said:

I say go with a successful Texas HS coach, much like we did with Briles who won numerous HS state championships at Stephenville, and McGuire who won at Cedar Hill.
Right now I'd look at Hank Carter, the head coach at Lake Travis.
He's won several state championships and would give us a first-name-basis with every HS coach in Texas.

Check him out here.
I agree with this approach since we won't have the money after the CDA buyout to go hire anyone else anyway. Think it makes sense because in many ways we will be starting over after CDA, he's hurt the brand enough to make us an afterthought.
RightRevBear
Montgomery was a great OC for us. Why would a good friend of Art's want to come here though? He will not even be considered due to him being part of the program during Briles's tenure.
Bearsalways
Jeff Traylor. His relationships with high school coaches in Texas would boost recruiting immediately. He's been a winner his whole career. 3 state championships and turned UTSA into a winning program quickly. Traylor's the guy.
ImABearToo
Sounds much like a guy we had here around 2009-2015. I'm good with Trailor. He's on Smoaky's show a lot.
Assassin
A solid proven assistant coach would be great, someone like Josh Gattis, Miami's offensive coordinator. He's only 38 and won the 2021 Broyles Award winner (nation's top assistant coach).

Or Lance Taylor, the offensive coordinator at Louisville. 40 years old and has coached at Notre Dame, Carolina, Stanford and Carolina Panthers. He coached Christian McCaffrey during his 2015 record setting year.
On Facebook at Memories of...
Dallas, Dallas Public, Texas, Texas Football, Texas Basketball, Texas Music, Memories From a Texas Window. Come see us!
Assassin
Forgot about this guy with ties to Texas, Oklahoma Offensive coordinator Jay Valai. Played safety at Wisconsin. Coached at Texas, Rutgers and Alabama and quality control at Georgia and the KC Chiefs. He EXCELS in recruiting!
On Facebook at Memories of...
Dallas, Dallas Public, Texas, Texas Football, Texas Basketball, Texas Music, Memories From a Texas Window. Come see us!
FLBear5630
No Quarterback said:

Don't forget that whoever we hire is going to have to meet the subjective character requirements of the powers that be
AND understand recruiting from the David position.

Although to the BOR Dabo is a dream hire, an outspoken Christian that is not afraid to say it and won. Will he be able to handle the recruiting situation. Going from getting in any 5 stars living room to not having the phone answered? He will have to win with a serious drop in talent from what he is used to having year-in and year-out.

Does OSU have a better name in recruiting?
guadalupeoso
Jeff Traylor is your first call, but he'll say no. He's turned down big jobs to stay at UTSA. He's not leaving for Baylor. He'll wait for Texas A&M, Florida, Texas (not that that job is opening any time soon), etc. to come calling.

My vote is for Jaimey Chadwell, Ryan Grubb, or Willie Fritz. I like the idea of GJ Kinne, but it's too early to tell. Although Garrett Riley has not had a great season at Clemson this year, i'd be interested in hearing his pitch as well.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.