Football
Sponsored by

Hunting for the Next Coach

27,942 Views | 163 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by FLBear5630
Oldbear83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So, let's say that the Oompa Loompas running Baylor have a moment of Lucidity and decide to replace Aranda, Grimes, or Both.

It's one thing to terminate an employee who is not up to the job. But now you need to hire someone, and that guy had better be someone up to the task of making Baylor relevant in FBS Football.

Might as well start the talk. Not that I believe the PTB would actually pay attention to our forum, but then again, if they come to their senses enough to recognize what we have been saying all these months, maybe they will listen to us when choosing the next OC and/or HC.

Who is on your short list and why?
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
Killing Floor
Whelp, the guy who won the D1 national championship just a few short years ago is hanging out at games and practices. That guy is a heck of a recruiting magnet too.
That guy is such a good play caller his assistant looked like the right guy for Baylor.
And he's not employed so there won't be a buyout for him.
Heck, why not move our current HC down to assistant and get the band back together?
ScrappyPaws
GJK
chriscbear
Gundy if he would come but probably has no interest in us.
Stefano DiMera
He only interviews with us when he's in the last year of a contract...
Smashmouth
How bout the Washington coach?
Aberzombie1892
Smashmouth said:

Is this suggestion serious?
RightRevBear
Jeff Traylor would be a good candidate. K.C. Keeler from Sam Houston might be another option.
WA Jim
How about the guy at Oregon State?
RightRevBear
WA Jim said:

I don't think he is an option. First, he played for Oregon State. Second, he has no Texas ties.
EuropeBear
RightRevBear said:

WA Jim said:

I don't think he is an option. First, he played for Oregon State. Second, he has no Texas ties.
But maybe he's not interested in the MWC. But then again he may not be happy about ending up there with Baylor in the next round when our viewership is in the bottom 25% of the current conference.

There will be no quick turnaround unless whoever it is gets authorization to replace 50+ on the current roster. And get handed the well above average cash in the conference to do it. Winners aren't coming to this disaster if they can go to better and get more cash. Who would? No one with a brain.
BU82EX
Logical Prediction - someone like Traylor

Crazy Prediction - Deebo is wearing out his welcome at Clemson
MrGolfguy
BU82EX said:

Logical Prediction - someone like Traylor

Crazy Prediction - Deebo is wearing out his welcome at Clemson
Hint: Deebo & Dabo are 2 completely different people.
bear2be2
My list would be (in order): Jeff Traylor, Willie Fritz and GJ Kinne.

This is Traylor's worst team in years and he's going to win seven or eight games in a tougher conference than the one he just left.
Johnny Bear
Prolly a pipe dream, but Dabo would obviously be a great fit from a cultural standpoint, has some demonstrable fire and enthusiasm about him, and can obviously recruit (as would be assumed about a former National Championship winning HC). Even if his relationship with Clemson sours enough that he's available and would consider coming here, being able to afford him would I'm sure still be a question - but boy, would that be a statement type hire.
Killing Floor
I like Traylor too. And he's got a lot of years left. I feel like Fritz is going to end up at M State. They have money and a vacancy. We have neither at the moment.
Let’s Go!
KajunKarlsdad
Killing Floor said:

Whelp, the guy who won the D1 national championship just a few short years ago is hanging out at games and practices. That guy is a heck of a recruiting magnet too.
That guy is such a good play caller his assistant looked like the right guy for Baylor.
Heck, why not move our current HC down to assistant and get the band back together?

O would need an interpreter so most of the players and media would understand him. I speak Cajun-French and am willing to take that job. LOL
bear2be2
Killing Floor said:

I like Traylor too. And he's got a lot of years left. I feel like Fritz is going to end up at M State. They have money and a vacancy. We have neither at the moment.
I think there are guys that make more sense for Michigan State than Fritz, who has spent his entire head coaching career in the South. He would be a gamble for Michigan State at a time they can't really afford to gamble. Leipold would make more sense for them if he was interested.
Aberzombie1892
bear2be2 said:

Killing Floor said:

I think there are guys that make more sense for Michigan State than Fritz, who has spent his entire head coaching career in the South. He would be a gamble for Michigan State at a time they can't really afford to gamble. Leipold would make more sense for them if he was interested.

In a scenarios where Michigan State hired Lance, Fritz would almost certainly end up at Kansas.
bear2be2
Aberzombie1892 said:

bear2be2 said:

Killing Floor said:

In a scenarios where Michigan State hired Lance, Fritz would almost certainly end up at Kansas.
Probably. He's a Kansas guy originally.

But he's coached in and around Texas enough to know how much easier it is to recruit here than there.
ZachTay
Killing Floor said:

Moving from one head coach who, frankly, puts most to sleep with his monotone explanations and answers....to one one cannot even understand would be quite an entertaining and engaging change.

Am I riiiight ?
ZachTay
Nick Rolovich

Look it up.....
bear2be2
ZachTay said:

Nick Rolovich

Look it up.....
No thanks.
PartyBear
Aberzombie1892 said:

Smashmouth said:

Is this suggestion serious?

I'm wondering if he meant the WSU HC.
pluce
Chadwell- Liberty
Troy Calhoun- Air Force
Curt Cignetti- James Madison
Jeff Traylor- UTSA
Jon Sumrall- Troy
ImABearToo
A statement hire is the best way to instantly resurrect our program. Baylor is still relevant, although 1.5 off seasons recently, so a splash hire with STRONG Texas ties salvages what's left of an overall respectable 10 year run.
“Life is short, eat desert first!”
BUBBFAN
pluce said:

Chadwell- Liberty
Troy Calhoun- Air Force
Curt Cignetti- James Madison
Jeff Traylor- UTSA
Jon Sumrall- Troy

And willy Fritz - Tulane
KIA
Mac and Tom Herman used to be tight.

Traylor would be similar to Joey M.

GJK would be an option in another year.

I don't expect Aranda to be gone this year. I think it is inevitable that it will happen, but 2 years after our best season in school history would seem like a knee-jerk reaction.
jikespingleton
not happening this year
ABC BEAR
Smashmouth said:

Nope. Should have gone after him when he was HC at Fresno State.
ABC BEAR
One thing in our favor is that we are members of a conference where a coach has a chance to win games without being overshadowed by FB Goliaths. Pity the search committees at SEC also-ran schools who have to sell a meat grinder schedule to a prospective coach.
BellCountyBear
RightRevBear said:

Jeff Traylor would be a good candidate. K.C. Keeler from Sam Houston might be another option.
Sam Houston is absolutely terrible this year!
BigGameBaylorBear
My list: Kinne, Dabo, Oregon st HC, Cignetti, Lance Leipold, Urban Meyer, OC from Oregon, and Ed Orgeron

Honorable mentions: RG3 or Kendal Briles (only because I like the idea of bringing a briles back here)
jikespingleton
ImABearToo said:

a splash hire with STRONG Texas ties salvages
I love the enthusiasm but unfortunately, we have never made a splash hire and will likely never make a splash hire.

Our success is going to be rooted in finding a G5 guy who has proven he can build programs into conference winners. That's the guy we need - and he doesn't have to be from Texas.
Robert Wilson
bear2be2 said:

My list would be (in order): Jeff Traylor, Willie Fritz and GJ Kinne.

This is Traylor's worst team in years and he's going to win seven or eight games in a tougher conference than the one he just left.

Good list. Will these guys all pass the Sunday school Christmas party test?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.