Football
Sponsored by

Spavital

24,098 Views | 315 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by boognish_bear
DanaDane
How long do you want to ignore this user?
gobears20 said:

Respect to the Lariat guy if he reads this site. You do good research and writing both on your tweets and your articles I've seen.
Krieg
SIC EM 94 said:

blackie said:

Big_Pumpin said:

I think I'm liking this hire. Don't care what he did as a head coach. We see good coordinators fail as head coaches all the time. We are seeing on a weekly basis at Baylor.

On Sawyer. I hadn't been impressed at all until the last game. That that was one of the better 2nd halves of offensive football we played. He seemed loose in a good way. Wouldn't mind seeing him give it a go next year.

Cal also has some Tx players on roster. Might could bring some home. Especially since the conference blew up.
Sawyer was playing injured the first part of the season. He was past that in this game.

Not sure why everyone thinks Sawyer is the answer. We scored 0 points on offense in the 1st half vs West Virginia.

Because we lost games with Shapen on the field so the backup must be amazing.

Sawyer should fit the new system reasonably well, so that might help. I'll give it that much.
DAC
BearTruth13 said:

Aggies mocked this guy for years on Texags. They called his playcalling Spavtastic. I was literally talking about him in a derogatory manner to an Aggie the other day.

They complained about his play calling and offense but he was also the main one getting their higher ranked recruits to campus
jikespingleton
No Quarterback said:

Meh. Better than Matt Wells or trying to promote Bell.
If they would have promoted bell...

Reverend
I thought Sawyer looked good in the second half against WV. A small sample size, I know. But he was pretty highly recruited and my guess is he went to Miss State because he liked the Leach offense. If Spavital runs something similar he may flourish. We can hope.
Big_Pumpin
Keeping the positivity going folks. So I think 1st year at Cal is a decent barometer for us to consider. Cal has similar recruiting success as us. Uncertainty at QB and such.

So looking at how Cals offense stacked up against their opponents this year.

Not including Idaho they had 11 games. 7 out of 11 games they scored more points than the opposing defense averaged for the season. Overall they scored an average almost 6 points more than the opponents average. Again this was first year with 3 QBs playing.

PAC had 5 teams in top 50 of scoring defense that Cal played. Cal scored more points than 4 of these defenses scoring average. Utah held them to 14 points

Daveisabovereproach
jikespingleton said:

No Quarterback said:

Meh. Better than Matt Wells or trying to promote Bell.
If they would have promoted bell...

Krieg
Reverend said:

I thought Sawyer looked good in the second half against WV. A small sample size, I know. But he was pretty highly recruited and my guess is he went to Miss State because he liked the Leach offense. If Spavital runs something similar he may flourish. We can hope.

He's from the Air Raid tree, so I'm with you on that hope.
boognish_bear
boognish_bear
boognish_bear
morethanhecouldbear
9-23 as head coach at Texas St.

This hire fits our current staff to a T.
boognish_bear
morethanhecouldbear said:

HC record is the most important stat for finding a good OC
jikespingleton
Reverend said:

I thought Sawyer looked good in the second half against WV. A small sample size, I know.
It was this line of thinking that allowed Gerry to walk, which I felt was a huge mistake considering we had lost our top RBs and WR from the year before. With a swiss cheese O-Line, we needed a guy like Gerry to be able to run for his life and use his legs to make plays. Well that and leadership.
boognish_bear
KU in the market now for an OC. I hate that for them. They were fun to watch.

Krieg
boognish_bear said:

To be fair, he's kind of the HC by the sound of it all.

But I think this is a good hire. I don't think we were getting a better option. Do better options exist? Sure, but they weren't options.
morethanhecouldbear
boognish_bear said:

When the criteria is an OC with prior head coaching experience, yeah it is important.
SIC EM 94
bear2be2 said:

SIC EM 94 said:

Realitybites said:

SIC EM 94 said:

Not sure why everyone thinks Sawyer is the answer.

Because Shapen and who knows who else is transferring out, and any inbound QB prospect has to know they're going to be playing behind an offensive line that's swiss cheese.

He's what we've got (unless one of the two Freshmen are talented enough to beat him out in camp).

Surely we can find a QB in the portal that is better than Sawyer?
Sawyer was a really good recruit out of high school. He's a talented kid. There's good reason to be excited about his potential.

I like Sawyer and hope he does well. I just haven't been overwhelmed by anything he has done. In fairness to him (and Shapen) I'm not sure any QB could have been successful under Grimes and the players we had around him.
boognish_bear

boognish_bear said:

When the criteria is an OC with prior head coaching experience, yeah it is important.

Who were you wanting to see us get?
morethanhecouldbear
boognish_bear said:

boognish_bear said:

Who were you wanting to see us get?
I was hoping most of the staff was going to get eaten by bigfoot and then we'd have a clean slate to work with.
BluesBear
No Quarterback said:

BluesBear said:

Coach Splat. Welcome to Waco....Please bring your OL's and Mr. Hunter with you as well....

If you can get Baylor to averaging over 30 pts a game and Dave can't do his job on the Defense side...the job is yours at the end of the season....

Please don't give Mack any ideas. I'm OK with him as offensive coordinator, but I hope this is not his audition to be head coach. It seems like something Mack would do though
that was meant as sarcasm....but unfortunately I bet it's an audition...
Got Mulk?
All these "fans" whining for up tempo offense and they get an OC that does that, but still aren't happy.

The more I read about him, I really think this is a good hire.
BluesBear
Married A Horn said:

boognish_bear said:

Sonny describes him as someone with a calm demeanor.

I don't really know much about his personal style....but we may 2 pretty calm guys on the sidelines.

Gonna have a lot of calm people in the stands. :/
When you say " a lot"....are we talking 20-30 people or more like 100-125 people?
Aliceinbubbleland
With a terrible offensive line and unproven QB and so so receivers Spat will need miracles.
Bear75605
ImABearToo said:

From Wikipedia: While attending school in Springfield, Spavital won the Missouri Baptist State sword drill competition.

I saw that! This is the most important thing on his rsum that Baylor was looking for. Forget previous performance.
ImABearToo
Instant hero status.
“Life is short, eat desert first!”
DanaDane
PartyBear
What are we paying him to make it worth taking this on? 1.5-2 mill plus obviously payin Cal?
boognish_bear
Well....it wasn't cheap bringing him over
DanaDane
Gotta believe it's somewhere in that ballpark.
boognish_bear
I guess it was cheap compared to buying out Dave
Killing Floor
Just so I'm clear on the differential equations, we can pay Cal to buy out their assistant and we can't pay to buy out our biggest reason for losing?
Let’s Go!
PartyBear
Buy out wasn't the issue I don't think. But I'm sure also Aranda's buyout is larger that 850 k.
BearlyBeloved
PartyBear said:

BearlyBeloved said:

boognish_bear said:

Who is in charge of dressing new hires immediately in Baylor garb and rushing them into a photo shoot????

Don't tell me it's photo-shopping. That would mean we're faking something!

You know it's photo shop. He probably hasn't even been here yet. He is probably literally in the Bay Area right now.
But Santa told me that photoshopping is not real!
blackie
PartyBear said:

What are we paying him to make it worth taking this on? 1.5-2 mill plus obviously payin Cal?
I think you need to figure in the cost of living in CA ;and state taxes compared to Waco. Someone could end up here making exactly the same salary as out there, and be miles ahead on the bottom line of where he was. It would certainly be a factor.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.