Football
Sponsored by

Spavital

24,101 Views | 315 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by boognish_bear
Krieg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Mack sucks for not firing Aranda. Our only hope for next year is Mack and hopefully even Linda remove any barriers to transfers we've faced and do everything possible to fund NIL for football specifically.

As long as he does that and then gets out of the way, it MIGHT work. It's our only chance imo. I think winning 5 would keep Aranda's job, so I'm hoping we win 8 or less than 4.
canoso
There's no way any coach these days accepts a new position without some guarantee of adequate NIL to hit the portal, hard. Let's hope somebody influential at BU finally woke up and smelled the coffee on this issue; at first glance it would seem that's what happened.
BBWCBear
Krieg said:

Golden Helmet said:

You know that's not true, but it's worth mentioning that people often say "it's Baylor, they don't have any talent" too.

It's so funny how so many here wear rose colored glasses.
They don't have better talent. He didn't come from Oregon or USC, he came from a program that hasn't cracked 10 wins since 2006. It was also his first year there, so it's not like he had his guys. He should be able to walk into Waco and be even at worst on talent, and I guarantee you we'll beat them on NIL. Rhoades has to win.
BU has a knack for failure, so there's that.
boognish_bear
Krieg said:

I think winning 5 would keep Aranda's job, so I'm hoping we win 8 or less than 4.

I'm feeling the same way. Not sure all these Band-Aids are going to help. If it somehow works I hope it works really well. If not I hope it fails hard.

Bear8084
boognish_bear said:

Krieg said:

I think winning 5 would keep Aranda's job, so I'm hoping we win 8 or less than 4.

I'm feeling the same way. Not sure all these Band-Aids are going to help. If it somehow works I hope it works really well. If not I hope it fails hard.

Good way to put it. I do like the hire, and I hope it works. But if it doesn't, the plug needs to be pulled quickly on the CDA era so we can move on.
boognish_bear
ImABearToo
Can our new OC go get some bad dudes? Sorry, I meant can our new OC go get some real playmakers?
ā€œLife is short, eat desert first!ā€
Jacques Strap
ImABearToo said:

Can our new OC go get some bad dudes? Sorry, I meant can our new OC go get some real playmakers?

Killing Floor
Was not aware we had a film room. How'd we get curb stomped by Air Force if we had film?
Letā€™s Go!
Aliceinbubbleland
ImABearToo said:

Tall order but "In Mack we trust?"
EWH !!!
Krieg
Killing Floor said:

Was not aware we had a film room. How'd we get curb stomped by Air Force if we had film?

That whole option thing had never been seen before, so nobody had any tape.

Oh wait, that was our offense in 2015. Everyone has seen the option 1000 times.
Bearfan21
A&M has unreasonable expectations and I don't trust anything they say related to anything. So delusional. Texas State fans should be the oppositeā€¦it's Texas state. Hard to win there. If he can move Cal up 40 spots in offense in one season, imagine what he could potentially do at Baylor. Cal's QB was a 2 star
jikespingleton
Bearfan21 said:

A&M has unreasonable expectations and I don't trust anything they say related to anything. So delusional. Texas State fans should be the oppositeā€¦it's Texas state. Hard to win there. If he can move Cal up 40 spots in offense in one season, imagine what he could potentially do at Baylor. Cal's QB was a 2 star
Why did his offenses blow ass at texas st?
ZachTay
Spavital .291 winning percentage as Head Coach at Texas State. Texas State.
ZERO winning seasons as Head Coach at Texas State. Zero.
California Bears offense last season ranked 40th.
Look it up.....

Make no mistake, this is NOT a splash hire but a budget hire, that will make NO marked improvement to the Baylor Football program or what you see on the field. A one year plug hire, before Aranda (and entire staff) (hopefully) will be bought out after another 3-4 win season. A buy out Baylor finds a way to stomach because of what Rhoades created.

The Baylor program will not be able to move forward under Aranda. Sorry, nice guy, but we as fans have not seen the bottom yet.

Rhoades and Aranda need to go.

Sic'em
boognish_bear
ZachTay said:

Look it up.....

Make no mistake, this is NOT a splash hire but a budget hire, that will make NO marked improvement to the Baylor Football program or what you see on the field. A one year plug hire, before Aranda (and entire staff) (hopefully) will be bought out after another 3-4 win season. A buy out Baylor finds a way to stomach because of what Rhoades created.

The Baylor program will not be able to move forward under Aranda. Sorry, nice guy, but we as fans have not seen the bottom yet.

Sic'em

It may turn out to be a bad hire....but I don't think it's a budget hire. Sounds like we are paying him well.
Daveisabovereproach
ZachTay said:

Look it up.....

Sic'em

40th offense would be a miraculous improvement over what we had last year. My fear is that Dave will do just well enough next year that Mack will keep him. Six wins will get him an extension imo
boykin_spaniel
Definitely not a budget hire. From what he was making at Cal he's probably on par with SEC assistants, not like he was going to take a big pay cut to come coach with a guy whose seat is on fire. Texas St had a decent offense his final year but couldn't play defense. His WV offense was explosive and Davis Webb during his first stint at Cal had over 4,000 passing yards. 40th offense is great for Cal. Have you seen how inept their offense has been lately? He's young, knows Texas, and runs a spread attack branched off from the air raid.

He's honestly probably the most expensive realistic hire we could've made. Did you think we'd poach Joe Brady or Eric Bieniemy from the NFL or Ryan Grubb or Will Stein from the PAC 12 title game?
PartyBear
canoso said:

There's no way any coach these days accepts a new position without some guarantee of adequate NIL to hit the portal, hard. Let's hope somebody influential at BU finally woke up and smelled the coffee on this issue; at first glance it would seem that's what happened.

Yes this is just common sense except on this site at least until the last week. This is one of the things that needs to be fixed before we are looking for a new HC otherwise that will result in multi year disaster.
Fre3dombear
Krieg said:

Mack sucks for not firing Aranda. Our only hope for next year is Mack and hopefully even Linda remove any barriers to transfers we've faced and do everything possible to fund NIL for football specifically.

As long as he does that and then gets out of the way, it MIGHT work. It's our only chance imo. I think winning 5 would keep Aranda's job, so I'm hoping we win 8 or less than 4.

Is the transfer "barrier" even real or just another made up excuse that can't be proven or denied?

I'm sure the latter

Mack is like a senator. Incompetent, borderline ruhtarded (maybe like a president) but in a position to vote and therefore if I'm him I am giving away whatever thing I've stood firm on against the BMds and let the people in the wings de facto run things so they'll spend

His only chance to survive. Or just be another incompetent woke hire because he's sooo nice which may he enough at baylor
Smashmouth
I was afraid we might hire the Iowa OC.
Krieg
Fre3dombear said:

Krieg said:

Is the transfer "barrier" even real or just another made up excuse that can't be proven or denied?

I'm sure the latter

Mack is like a senator. Incompetent, borderline ruhtarded (maybe like a president) but in a position to vote and therefore if I'm him I am giving away whatever thing I've stood firm on against the BMds and let the people in the wings de facto run things so they'll spend

His only chance to survive. Or just be another incompetent woke hire because he's sooo nice which may he enough at baylor

No idea if the transfer issue is real, but the desperation has to be real and that can't be bad imo. They either figure it out or all get fired because they couldn't figure it out. Both are better than the status quo.
Fre3dombear
Smashmouth said:

I was afraid we might hire the Iowa OC.

Would he a step up for us
Bearfan21
Personnel. What weapons do you have at a school like Texas State? Plus, he was the head coach at Texas State and not directly coaching the offense. Just like CDA has been at Baylor up until this point. His offenses have been quite efficient as an OC
ZachTay
boykin_spaniel said:

Definitely not a budget hire. From what he was making at Cal he's probably on par with SEC assistants, not like he was going to take a big pay cut to come coach with a guy whose seat is on fire. Texas St had a decent offense his final year but couldn't play defense. His WV offense was explosive and Davis Webb during his first stint at Cal had over 4,000 passing yards. 40th offense is great for Cal. Have you seen how inept their offense has been lately? He's young, knows Texas, and runs a spread attack branched off from the air raid.

He's honestly probably the most expensive realistic hire we could've made. Did you think we'd poach Joe Brady or Eric Bieniemy from the NFL or Ryan Grubb or Will Stein from the PAC 12 title game?
Looks like Cal was paying him $925,000/yr. That must mean that Baylor is paying $1M, similar to Grimes.

Crazy stupid. Rhodes must go.....with Aranda and staff after next season's debacle.
boykin_spaniel
Grimes was apparently between $800-900k. I shall withhold judgement on what our offense will look like until we see it operating next year, but Aranda and Rhodes are definitely on flaming seats. Unfortunately, Rhoades probably gets to make the next hire if next season goes south.
boognish_bear
MrGolfguy
Explosive Offense > Explosive Diarrhea
boognish_bear
MrGolfguy said:

Explosive Offense > Explosive Diarrhea

They will both keep you on the edge of your seat
ImABearToo
Krieg
ZachTay said:

boykin_spaniel said:

Looks like Cal was paying him $925,000/yr. That must mean that Baylor is paying $1M, similar to Grimes.

Crazy stupid. Rhodes must go.....with Aranda and staff after next season's debacle.

I bet he's making significantly more than $1 million and has it guaranteed for at least 2 years.
Cove Dawg
In our position Spavital is absolutely the best OC we could expect to hop on this disaster of a program that Aranda has created. Certain the offense will be more exciting than this year, but that is a low bar. Have watched highlights of all CAL games this year and those expecting the "storm" offense to be reminiscent of the good ole CAB days are going to be very disappointed. Not impressed.
Killing Floor
First place post.
Letā€™s Go!
Cove Dawg
Bearfan21 said:

You need to watch some game film, Mendoza may have been a two star but he makes throws that our QB's absolutely do not have the ability to make and he's a RS Frosh. Found myself hoping that both Mendoza and Ott transfer to stay with Spavital, both would be huge upgrades
ZachTay
Cove Dawg said:

In our position Spavital is absolutely the best OC we could expect to hop on this disaster of a program that Aranda has created. Certain the offense will be more exciting than this year, but that is a low bar. Have watched highlights of all CAL games this year and those expecting the "storm" offense to be reminiscent of the good ole CAB days are going to be very disappointed. Not impressed.
THIS peeps.

Be skeptical, and save yourself from the heartbreak. Don't be those blinded sheep fans who line up and get all frothy around the mouth with a simple coaching change.

Do not expect the "glory days" offense to come back under Aranda.....ever. It won't.

And remember, this is Aranda's third OC hire in his 4 years at the helm for Baylor. Confidence in his ability to identify and hire key staff members is, fairly, questionable. A smarter cookie in the herd would even start to question at this point whether (when Rhoades hired him as HC) he ever in his career prior built/had that coaching network of friends that every successful head coach did/has.

Think about that......

Just don't expect any drastic improvement next season. Baylor is in a serious rebuild phase....and they may not have even bottomed out yet.

Sic'em
bear2be2
boykin_spaniel said:

Yeah, given all pertinent circumstances, Spavital is a good hire.

We could have done much, much worse.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.