Football
Sponsored by

Spavital

24,277 Views | 315 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by boognish_bear
Daveisabovereproach
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Killing Floor said:

Just so I'm clear on the differential equations, we can pay Cal to buy out their assistant and we can't pay to buy out our biggest reason for losing?

A couple million bucks is a lot less than like 20 million or whatever Dave's buyout is.

Mack may have been told by the big money folks that he needs to make Dave work or else it's his job. That probably incentivized him to crunch the numbers and get this done

Also, this will probably come with an associate head coach title or something to that effect. Remember, Dave needs somebody to mentor him here going into year five
ImABearToo
For sure Mack and CDA heard outcry for uptempo spread scheme. Watching Cal film from 2023 it's very similar to CAB. Lots of short crossing routes. Requires O line to stand defense up and not push them forward like grimes offense does. Need a Seastrunk or Shock to make it work. Find small creases and fall forward. Receivers that can get open in space. Don't see enough bad dudes on campus to make it work so hello portal.
“Life is short, eat desert first!”
BBWCBear
No Quarterback said:

Killing Floor said:

Just so I'm clear on the differential equations, we can pay Cal to buy out their assistant and we can't pay to buy out our biggest reason for losing?

A couple million bucks is a lot less than like 20 million or whatever Dave's buyout is.

Mack may have been told by the big money folks that he needs to make Dave work or else it's his job. That probably incentivized him to crunch the numbers and get this done

Also, this will probably come with an associate head coach title or something to that effect. Remember, Dave needs somebody to mentor him here going into year five

A P5/4 HC making large amount of money needs someone on staff to mentor him. Has this ever been done in major college football in the last… say FIFTY years?
Big_Pumpin
ImABearToo said:

For sure Mack and CDA heard outcry for uptempo spread scheme. Watching Cal film from 2023 it's very similar to CAB. Lots of short crossing routes. Requires O line to stand defense up and not push them forward like grimes offense does. Need a Seastrunk or Shock to make it work. Find small creases and fall forward. Receivers that can get open in space. Don't see enough bad dudes on campus to make it work so hello portal.

Exactly right. Here is a reel from Cal vs Oregon St. The beavers have a good defense. Cal was gashing them on the ground. Briles era running game.

ImABearToo
That's fun to watch. Lots of talent needed to run that scheme so hopefully they jump on opportunities come December 4.
DanaDane
Our O line this year was good at standing up................. and watching defenders run by them.

Honestly, I don't care if the offense looks great. Anything with a faster pace and more passing will be more exciting than the snoozefest I've watched for the past couple of years.
ImABearToo
Presley and Ketron might contribute, Baldwin too. It's not an offense for Reese, you have to create your openings. So help me though, if our defense stinks early on, the first time I hear aranda is a defensive genius I'm gonna punch someone in the nose. I don't see him building a defense through portal and not sure the talent already in Waco can step up.
Krieg
ImABearToo said:

That's fun to watch. Lots of talent needed to run that scheme so hopefully they jump on opportunities come December 4.

It's Cal. They don't have any talent.
Krieg
ImABearToo said:

Presley and Ketron might contribute, Baldwin too. It's not an offense for Reese, you have to create your openings. So help me though, if our defense stinks early on, the first time I hear aranda is a defensive genius I'm gonna punch someone in the nose. I don't see him building a defense through portal and not sure the talent already in Waco can step up.

If I'm in charge, I focus on coaching the current defense and hiring what you need on offense. The D will improve to some extent with age and experience, and presumably Mack and Dave think the play calling is about to improve substantially. That could make them competent enough to make a bowl with a good offense.

So, hire the OL and whatever else you think is needed to score 40+ every game. If you can do that, we'll win 8+. If we get close, we'll win 6.
jikespingleton
ImABearToo said:

Requires O line to stand defense up and not push them forward like grimes offense does.
Grimes offense didn't require the OL to push the DL backwards, it was a lateral push they wanted, to create gaps. So they keyed in and recruited OL that could get side to side quickly.

Worked great with multiple super seniors and the couple excellent backs that we had. Then the rest of the Big 12 caught on to the scheme by 2022, which showed in the 4 game losing streak to end the season. Throw in the graduation of the RBs, the OL, or best WR and letting Gerry walk, and offense was bad in 2022 and doomed for 2023.

We also lost some studs on defense and then canning roberts like it was his fault sure wasn't going to fix anything.
bear2be2
jikespingleton said:

ImABearToo said:

Requires O line to stand defense up and not push them forward like grimes offense does.
Grimes offense didn't require the OL to push the DL backwards, it was a lateral push they wanted, to create gaps. So they keyed in and recruited OL that could get side to side quickly.

Worked great with multiple super seniors and the couple excellent backs that we had. Then the rest of the Big 12 caught on to the scheme by 2022. Throw in the graduation of the RBs, Gerry and the OL, the offense was doomed.
Statistically, our offense was pretty similar in 2022 to what it was in 2021. We took a small step back in yards per play -- from 6.4 to 5.8 -- but we didn't really fall off a cliff until this past season. If we had had a good defense in 2022, we'd have won a lot of games.

It's hard to reconcile how bad things got this past season in all phases. But offensively, our struggles were pretty easy to explain. And the dye was cast in Week 1, when it was obvious to all who watched us get worked over by Texas State that we couldn't block at all.

You can't run Jeff Grimes' offense if you can't effectively run the ball. And it became clear very quickly this past season that we couldn't do that.

It's kind of funny, we went from a reliable violent offense in 2021 to a reliable offense in 2022, losing a lot of the violence or explosiveness we had during our championship run. And then in 2023, we lost the R and the V. We were just offensive.
morethanhecouldbear
Bear2393 said:

Golden Helmet said:

God who cares about yards.

Does he score points? You know, those things that win games.

Stupid post!!
I'm sorry if I am misreading things here, but... are you a trisomy-21 candidate?

Points > yards, any day, all day.

Yardage totals do not matter if your offense cannot convert drives into points.
Fre3dombear
No Quarterback said:

Killing Floor said:

Corporate America does this stuff all the time. Wayyyy overpromotes completely unqualified people for various reasons and assigns them implicitly or explicitly someone to make sure they don't fail

Then the stock price dies a slow death

In all likelihood that's exactly what's happening to baylor football.
gobears20
Staff
Great Baylor Merchandise -> https://bit.ly/2M8DuHk
PartyBear
Baylor owes it. That said one thing I had not really thought about regarding all these buy outs is that the coaches still have to pay taxes including state taxes in many states on the buy out amount even though they do not get a penny of it, unless there is some loop hole around this that tax experts know.
Big_Pumpin
The year before Jake got to Cal, the golden bears were almost dead last in percentage of rushing plays at 38%. This year they jumped to 52%. Points per game jumped from 23 pts/gm to 31.6 pts/gm.

For reference, Baylor rushed the ball almost 57% of the time in 2014.
boognish_bear
PartyBear
He could possibly have some west coast recruits he can convince to switch from Cal to Baylor. I do like this choice whether it was Rhoades or Aranda or both jointly. He may not be Briles but who knows at 38 Briles may not have been what we know Briles as if he was at the college level at that age. He may not be Stein but then again if Bo Nix was at Cal, maybe he would be. I do think this is a solid enough hire that it would be solid even if we had a brand new HC naming him as OC.
Bexar Pitts
BU has filled the big gap it had to fill first..Now let's see what goes down in the way of player transfers in the days ahead..
Golden Helmet
You know that's not true, but it's worth mentioning that people often say "it's Baylor, they don't have any talent" too.

It's so funny how so many here wear rose colored glasses.
Golden Helmet
You're leaving a degree from Cal to get one from BU?

Can they pass the Baylor Inquisition committee review process?
PartyBear
Golden Helmet said:

You're leaving a degree from Cal to get one from BU?

Can they pass the Baylor Inquisition committee review process?

I know. I hear you. But even at Cal I think players are committing to a coach rather than an institution. Now it's worse it is committing to who pays the most as well. What university it actually is, is now almost irrelevant.
ScottS
Fre3dombear said:

Married A Horn said:

Art_E_Guinn said:

Reverend said:

Nobody thinks he's coming back. You need to move on from thinking you have to make smart ass comments about it.
There are 10+ "Bring Back Briles" threads this season alone.

I'm forever famous!

What's funny is disdain for Briles is like people that "hate" trump. They have no idea why or the reason is something totally irrational like "the scandal". They're now largely broke (6-7, 3-9, Mulkey gone, empty stands, no tickets sold, no donations etc) and can hardly afford to Live but dammit they hate that Trump!

Nailed it
Krieg
gobears20 said:

I wonder if he can subtract it off his income in California in 2023, then Baylor pays him the money in Texas and he captures the tax savings. He'd end up owing little in state taxes that way.
Krieg
Golden Helmet said:

You know that's not true, but it's worth mentioning that people often say "it's Baylor, they don't have any talent" too.

It's so funny how so many here wear rose colored glasses.
They don't have better talent. He didn't come from Oregon or USC, he came from a program that hasn't cracked 10 wins since 2006. It was also his first year there, so it's not like he had his guys. He should be able to walk into Waco and be even at worst on talent, and I guarantee you we'll beat them on NIL. Rhoades has to win.
johnnychimpo
I'm guessing the Spav hire was solely to teach Waco how to work the portal. That's the only upside to Spav, not anything that will actually help improve Gameday from the sideline.

In 2 portal cycles he was able to get around 10 studs for every 30 duds. I bet his hit/miss ratio in the portal goes up drastically with 10x the money to throw at recruits. I bet he gets 30 guys in from the portal for 2024 and I bet 20 are studs.
Bear8084
johnnychimpo said:

I'm guessing the Spav hire was solely to teach Waco how to work the portal. That's the only upside to Spav, not anything that will actually help improve Gameday from the sideline.

In 2 portal cycles he was able to get around 10 studs for every 30 duds. I bet his hit/miss ratio in the portal goes up drastically with 10x the money to throw at recruits. I bet he gets 30 guys in from the portal for 2024 and I bet 20 are studs.

Upside is also a different philosophy on offense.
johnnychimpo
Hope he signs some beefy WRs and TEs to pancake some defenders for his copious bubble screens
canoso
gobears20 said:

A multitude of reasons he's glad to get back to Texas......
Golden Helmet
You bet on Mack…I'll pass.

When the HC has even lost his own staff's confidence how we kept him is beyond understandable.
Krieg
Golden Helmet said:

You bet on Mack…I'll pass.

When the HC has even lost his own staff's confidence how we kept him is beyond understandable.

I haven't liked Mack since he was hired. What I was pointing out is that we have some useful talent for Spav already, and what we lack we can go after with NIL money. Mack has to think his job is on the line with this, so he'll do all he can to free up NIL money for the football team to make a dramatic improvement. I would think Spav will have a lot of money available for that reason that might have been lacking the last 2 years.
ImABearToo
Tall order but "In Mack we trust?"
william
he's no dale.

- kkm

but, why not????

pro ecclesia, pro javelina
Wacoraisedbear
ImABearToo said:

Tall order but "In Mack we trust?"

In Mack we trust.. sic em!
Golden Helmet
Prepare for a crash and burn.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.