Football
Sponsored by

Spavital

24,585 Views | 315 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by boognish_bear
boognish_bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Talks about working with Dana and finding ways to find
more success using their tight ends

DanaDane
Even if he's not here in 2025, at least now on offense we hopefully won't have to watch a short side run on every 4th and 4 for a loss of 5.
ImABearToo
From Wikipedia: While attending school in Springfield, Spavital won the Missouri Baptist State sword drill competition.
“Life is short, eat desert first!”
Big_Pumpin
Mitch Blood Green said:

PartyBear said:

If we can get Malick Murphy from Texas......

I want Lagway.

(Would love Murphy, too)
There is a way to get Lagway. His dad wanted him to go to Baylor. Hire Trent Miller (Willis head coach) as a offensive coach. Get him an NIL deal. Bring a couple of his receivers. Boom.
KIA
Aranda's first OC punted when we were at our opponent's 30 yard line. His most recent OC would go for it on 4th and 7 from our own 30.

Any insight on the new guy's track record?
Daveisabovereproach
KIA said:

Aranda's first OC punted when we were at our opponent's 30 yard line. His most recent OC would go for it on 4th and 7 from our own 30.

Aranda was the one making those decisions. He will cite analytics, but in reality he's just making things up as he goes along. You could ask a magic eight ball, and you'd get similar answers
Mitch Blood Green
Big_Pumpin said:

Mitch Blood Green said:

PartyBear said:

I want Lagway.

(Would love Murphy, too)
There is a way to get Lagway. His dad wanted him to go to Baylor. Hire Trent Miller (Willis head coach) as an offensive coach. Get him an NIL deal. Bring a couple of his receivers. Boom.

I think we can get him. Get him, get excitement back into the program.
BBWCBear
Big_Pumpin said:

Mitch Blood Green said:

PartyBear said:

I want Lagway.

(Would love Murphy, too)
There is a way to get Lagway. His dad wanted him to go to Baylor. Hire Trent Miller (Willis head coach) as a offensive coach. Get him an NIL deal. Bring a couple of his receivers. Boom.
Way too much strategery called for. W says hi!
Daveisabovereproach
Lagway never strongly considered us. He retweeted some stuff about us and went on a couple visits to make the old man happy. But he always had his sights set on the SEC
Big_Pumpin
Mitch Blood Green said:

Big_Pumpin said:

Mitch Blood Green said:

PartyBear said:

I want Lagway.

(Would love Murphy, too)
There is a way to get Lagway. His dad wanted him to go to Baylor. Hire Trent Miller (Willis head coach) as an offensive coach. Get him an NIL deal. Bring a couple of his receivers. Boom.

I think we can get him. Get him, get excitement back into the program.
Interesting. Just saw Mertz is staying for his 6th season. DJ likely won't be starting. Not sure if that matters to him. He's a solid kid that might not mind sitting. But it could be another selling point. The QB position is wide open here a Baylor!
Bear2393
Golden Helmet said:

God who cares about yards.

Does he score points? You know, those things that win games.

Stupid post!!
Krieg
chorne68 said:

We haven't had a good offensive coordinator since CAB was the coach. I am excited he is here until I'm not.

This right here. He has the most promise of anyone at OC since 2015 (I ignore 2016's existence).
Big_Pumpin
BBWCBear said:

Big_Pumpin said:

Mitch Blood Green said:

PartyBear said:

I want Lagway.

(Would love Murphy, too)

The fans would go NUCULAR if we got him, though.
Daveisabovereproach
Big_Pumpin said:

BBWCBear said:

Big_Pumpin said:

Mitch Blood Green said:

PartyBear said:

I want Lagway.

(Would love Murphy, too)

I wish I could've been at Mack's interview the other day so I could throw my shoes at him
JP1037
Mitch Blood Green said:

Aliceinbubbleland said:

Free advice to Spavital. Don't buy a house. Rent. Your HC and AD are dead men walking.

This years problem and next years problem are the same. We don't have the buyout money.
I didn't have the money for a new Yukon I wanted until my transmission blew in my Suburban.

Killing Floor
He was a poor recruiter and poorer coach at Texas State.
But Cal did pretty OK this year considering. Maybe he'll be a good OC.
Let’s Go!
Big_Pumpin
No Quarterback said:

Big_Pumpin said:

BBWCBear said:

Big_Pumpin said:

Mitch Blood Green said:

PartyBear said:

I want Lagway.

(Would love Murphy, too)

I wish I could've been at Mack's interview the other day so I could throw my shoes at him

Haha

Well if you had been there you would have heard him say

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice…. well you ain't gonna fool me again.
Mitch Blood Green
No Quarterback said:

Lagway never strongly considered us. He retweeted some stuff about us and went on a couple visits to make the old man happy. But he always had his sights set on the SEC

Maybe true. I hope it's because he didn't see a person who could develop him. Maybe, now we have him?
tpj1991
Killing Floor said:

From my insider at Texas State he really didn't recruit a ton of HS kids, just went with the portal
Got Mulk?
I think this is a solid hire. I look forward to seeing his offense next year!
Wacoraisedbear
tpj1991 said:

Killing Floor said:

From my insider at Texas State he really didn't recruit a ton of HS kids, just went with the portal

I bet it would be kind of hard to recruit at Texas state facilities are probably trash stadium isn't great Kinne has them playing better he used the portal as well
boognish_bear
KIA said:

Those decisions ultimately fall on the head coach… Right?
Daveisabovereproach
boognish_bear said:

KIA said:

Those decisions ultimately fall on the head coach… Right?

It's an indictment of the head coach if he's letting a coordinator make those decisions. That's not to say that it would surprise me
BearTruth13
Aggies mocked this guy for years on Texags. They called his playcalling Spavtastic. I was literally talking about him in a derogatory manner to an Aggie the other day.
boognish_bear
No Quarterback said:

KIA said:

Aranda was the one making those decisions. He will cite analytics, but in reality he's just making things up as he goes along. You could ask a magic eight ball, and you'd get similar answers

Yes… I always feel like Dave uses "analytics" as his get out of jail for free card for bad decisions.

I wanted to see him let go. Since he is coming back I'm glad we are at least doing this re-organization.

But… Dave is still going to be the one responsible for making the decisions on fourth down. That makes me nervous.

Every off-season he has identified areas where he needs to grow. I hope he will take a look at his way too aggressive and reckless 4th down decisions. Also, he needs to look at when it is appropriate to chase extra points on 2 point conversions.
gobears20
Staff
Great Baylor Merchandise -> https://bit.ly/2M8DuHk
Got Mulk?
BearTruth13 said:

Aggies mocked this guy for years on Texags. They called his playcalling Spavtastic. I was literally talking about him in a derogatory manner to an Aggie the other day.
Unfortunately, many of the Baylor "fans" here are a lot like the Aggie fans. They whine about every coach we have except CAB. They complained about Phil's defense. They complained about Grobe. They howled and whined about the Matt Ruhle hire. They called him "Jersey". Then he won this board over, but left for the NFL, so obviously they complained about that. Now it's Aranda and Spavital.

I for one am willing to give Spavital a chance and I expect this team to be much better next year. But I know that puts me in the minority here.
Daveisabovereproach
BearTruth13 said:

To play devils advocate, this is the same fanbase that went "Na na na na na na national championship here we come!" when they hired Jimbo a few years ago. Under Spavital, their offense was very good in 2014 and then dropped off in 2015 when Kyle Allen was the starting quarterback and freshman Kyler Murray got hurt early on after replacing him.
bear2be2
I'm not crazy about this hire, but it was probably the best we could have done under the circumstances.

This doesn't really get me excited about next season or the possibilities beyond it should we somehow pull six or seven wins out of our ass next year. But I'll hope for the best.

Spavital has had some success at multiple spots as an OC and he's certainly competent. But it was going to take something pretty significant to wash the taste of 2023 out of mouth and this didn't really do it.
Cove Dawg
Art_E_Guinn said:

Reverend said:

It's people expressing frustration. Your common sense meter is running on low.
It's been SEVEN years.

You guys sounds like Al Bundy talking about his playing days at Polk High.

It's only been a couple of months since it was made public that Briles was fired to scapegoat the BOR and admin.
boognish_bear
Sonny describes him as someone with a calm demeanor.

I don't really know much about his personal style....but we may have 2 pretty calm guys on the sidelines.

Married A Horn
boognish_bear said:

Sonny describes him as someone with a calm demeanor.

I don't really know much about his personal style....but we may 2 pretty calm guys on the sidelines.

Gonna have a lot of calm people in the stands. :/
Fre3dombear
Big_Pumpin said:

I think I'm liking this hire. Don't care what he did as a head coach. We see good coordinators fail as head coaches all the time. We are seeing on a weekly basis at Baylor.

On Sawyer. I hadn't been impressed at all until the last game. That that was one of the better 2nd halves of offensive football we played. He seemed loose in a good way. Wouldn't mind seeing him give it a go next year.

Cal also has some Tx players on roster. Might could bring some home. Especially since the conference blew up.

While my perception was skewed by the score largely a result of 2 ST TDs, the eye test for me said this looks like a difference sawyer Robertson that had had .2
More months in whatever our system was and it seemed things were clicking more

Golden Helmet
I've literally seen JV HS defenses that play with better stance, alignment, read their keys, play within their responsibilities and use Byer technique.

But thank god we have the LSU Guru and fired the guy that cussed so he could land at Auburn.
Porteroso
One failed head coach teams up with another for the save? Look I get it, Aranda has millions at stake.

I'm not saying it won't work, just thinking it definitely won't work. The offensive coordinator is not about to develop all our players after years of a piss show.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.