Football
Sponsored by

Spavital

24,652 Views | 315 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by boognish_bear
johnnychimpo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Wacoraisedbear said:

Art_E_Guinn said:

Big hire. Spav is only 38 so he still has a lot to prove. Offense at Cal shot up in his first season back and they didn't have a lot to work with either.

Hopefully he brings RGC Mike Bloesch along. Bloesch was a disciple of Monty at Tulsa.

If you think this is a bad hire, you're either ignorant or you're one of our deluded Briles Beta Boomers who want nothing more in (what's left of their) life than to get down on two knees and smell Art Briles' farts for a day.

Agreed I'm not taking what he did at Texas state into consideration because they are just horrible.
Book marking this one
BU82EX
Married A Horn said:

Art_E_Guinn said:

Reverend said:

It's people expressing frustration. Your common sense meter is running on low.
It's been SEVEN years.

You guys sounds like Al Bundy talking about his playing days at Polk High.

Scapegoating testimony just came out. Are we not allowed to think talk or feel anything about that? In direct correlation to that atrocity, we are left with the current product on the field. Are we not allowed to talk about that? On a football forum where you discuss whatever you feel like discussing? (And are free to ignore the stuff you arent interested in.)

Stop being a control freak and let people do what they want.
Oh boy......here we go again.
wongobear
Seems as good as we can expect. I'm glad the decision was made quickly. At least quickly enough to be before the portal opens.
Daveisabovereproach
you know it's past time to fire your current coach when your fans would rather argue the pros and cons of a past coach in a thread where a major hiring decision was just announced. Lol
Golden Helmet
Well since nobody seems to gel with him including defensive guys I'd say that's the least of anyone's concerns…especially our AD.

Golden Helmet
Leaving Cal for Waco?

We must've backed a truck of money up and dumped.

Such a waste of time keeping this fraud.
muddybrazos
Golden Helmet said:

Leaving Cal for Waco?

We must've backed a truck of money up and dumped.

Such a waste of time keeping this fraud.
Cal literally had a Palestinian protest on their field. It wouldnt take much to get me out there.
Big_Pumpin
And there is only 1 other team in their conference
Golden Helmet
Then you're focused on the wrong things as far as I'm concerned.

We had that shat here in Texas too…it's not just out west.
Krieg
I think this was best-case scenario. It MIGHT work, which is all we could hope for with this weird approach from Rhoades. I was afraid we'd hire yet another OC scared of scoring too often.
Golden Helmet
It'll improve us if we can get some kids.

Jackasses don't run at the Kentucky derby for a reason.

With the university pre approving or denying kids coaches want to offer I dont like our chances.

Our OL is atrocious from a DNA perspective.

BluesBear
Coach Splat. Welcome to Waco....Please bring your OL's and Mr. Hunter with you as well....

If you can get Baylor to averaging over 30 pts a game and Dave can't do his job on the Defense side...the job is yours at the end of the season....
Daveisabovereproach
BluesBear said:

Coach Splat. Welcome to Waco....Please bring your OL's and Mr. Hunter with you as well....

If you can get Baylor to averaging over 30 pts a game and Dave can't do his job on the Defense side...the job is yours at the end of the season....

Please don't give Mack any ideas. I'm OK with him as offensive coordinator, but I hope this is not his audition to be head coach. It seems like something Mack would do though
Big_Pumpin
Interesting possibility. QB for Cal is Sam Jackson. 4-star transferred from TCU to Cal for this past season. Started 1st few games but got benched or hurt. Not sure. Wonder if he wants to come to Waco?
Daveisabovereproach
Big_Pumpin said:

Interesting possibility. QB for Cal is Sam Jackson. 4-star transferred from TCU to Cal for this past season. Started 1st few games but got benched or hurt. Not sure. Wonder if he wants to come to Waco?

Is he tired of these friggin snakes on this frigging plane
Krieg
Golden Helmet said:

It'll improve us if we can get some kids.

Jackasses don't run at the Kentucky derby for a reason.

With the university pre approving or denying kids coaches want to offer I dont like our chances.

Our OL is atrocious from a DNA perspective.

Yeah, but the pressure is on Mack and even a little on Linda I bet to get this fixed. They've been slow to fix our NIL and transfer issues, but like every politician they'll do anything to stay in power. Maybe a little heat will help us fix the talent gaps.

I bet 5 wins keeps Aranda around. We need 8 wins to get me excited. 6 would be enough for next year to not be a disaster, though.

I just hope Spavital gets to run the offense with zero interference. Go score some points. Make it fun. Screw the defense, we can build it back later. Get the OL we need and some extra skill players and the money will come. The defense can't improve enough to get us to a bowl next season, but the offense could.
Krieg
Big_Pumpin said:

If he transferred already he'd be subject to the old transfer rules.
Golden Helmet
Would you follow a guy that chose someone else over you?
Big_Pumpin
Krieg said:

Big_Pumpin said:

Didn't realize there were still rules. My bad
Golden Helmet
Who's going to interfere?

Not the Buddha…he'll be busy dealing with that other side of the ball which is as worse than the offense
Daveisabovereproach
Golden Helmet said:

Not the Buddha…he'll be busy dealing with that other side of the ball which is as worse than the offense

Agreed, and you're being generous. Defense was statistically worse
Krieg
Big_Pumpin said:

Krieg said:

Big_Pumpin said:

Didn't realize there were still rules. My bad

Yeah, you only get one free transfer.
BBWCBear
No Quarterback said:

JTM said:

This has "person over player" and "culture fit" written all over it. Not impressed and disappointed.

In what ways? Is Spavital known to be a philosophical guru that says things like "I wish the outcome of the game was determined by effort"
There's that damn word guru again. We have two now? (scarcasm) chuckles
Krieg
Golden Helmet said:

Fair point.

At this point, I wouldn't be shocked if Rhoades showed up on the sideline with a headset, though. Only if we start winning of course. That ego can't stroke itself.
Golden Helmet
Not only statistics but just fundamentally bad football.

I know several HS D Coordinators in Texas HS that can get us lined up right. Not get outnumbered every week.

Adjust to motions, formation changes and backfield sets etc….

You know the basics .
Big_Pumpin
Cal went from 96 rushing yds/game in 2022 to 181 yds/game in 2023. Someone
Golden Helmet
Will he have his Mr T jewelry' starter kit and pump spray bottle of Just for Men with him?
boognish_bear
Golden Helmet
God who cares about yards.

Does he score points? You know, those things that win games.
Big_Pumpin
Golden Helmet said:

God who cares about yards.

Does he score points? You know, those things that win games.

Haven't checked but I'll see if he has a knack for scoring points without accumulating yards.
Mitch Blood Green
Aliceinbubbleland said:

Free advice to Spavital. Don't buy a house. Rent. Your HC and AD are dead men walking.

This years problem and next years problem are the same. We don't have the buyout money.
chorne68
We haven't had a good offensive coordinator since CAB was the coach. I am excited he is here until I'm not.
Mitch Blood Green
PartyBear said:

If we can get Malick Murphy from Texas......

I want Lagway.

(Would love Murphy, too)
Fre3dombear
Big_Pumpin said:

In first

I'm shocked it wasn't Bell. They are desperate. That's good. It's their only hope.

1 in 100 chance Dave is coaching here in 2025

But I'm saying there's a chance
DanaDane
My issue all along. It wouldn't have mattered how much better talent we had. We were still out of position and never made any visible adjustments on most plays to defend even the most basic offensive strategy.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.