Football
Sponsored by

Spavital

24,641 Views | 315 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by boognish_bear
Art_E_Guinn
How long do you want to ignore this user?
MarcelloSwisher said:

Dudes been within 100 feet of Art Briles in the last 50 years? He ain't coming here. BOR would sadly never allow it.
Oh. I see now. You do realize Aranda was a GA for Briles for 2 years?
boognish_bear
Bear8084 said:

Better than what was doomed on here. Now will it gel and work? I dunno, hoping for the best.

That is how I am feeling. Given dave's potential lame duck status I was worried who we might have to settle for. This is not a bad choice to me.
boognish_bear
No Quarterback said:

dycbaylor02 said:

What qb is he bringing?

We're rolling with Sawyer Robertson, and we will likely bring in some sort of warm body to compete against him.

Matt Mosley was just on the radio saying he wondered if Shapen might consider coming back with this OC
Reverend
Nobody thinks he's coming back. You need to move on from thinking you have to make smart ass comments about it.
Daveisabovereproach
boognish_bear said:

No Quarterback said:

dycbaylor02 said:

What qb is he bringing?

We're rolling with Sawyer Robertson, and we will likely bring in some sort of warm body to compete against him.

Matt Mosley was just on the radio saying he wondered if Shapen might consider coming back with this OC

Hadn't thought of that, but it's possible. I figured that they had told Robertson that the job was his. we don't know what promises were made to Robertson when he transferred
Art_E_Guinn
BearlyBeloved said:

Head coach at Texas State, 2019-2022.

19-35 record

If he's now leaving Berkeley, does this mean that Cal won't score again????
He's worked under Holgorsen, Gundy, Dykes, Malzahn, Kingsbury, etc.

I'd rather have Spav over Seth Littrell or Bobby Petrino.
boykin_spaniel
Solid hire. Best we can do considering timeline and parameters. Knows Texas. Has run some good offenses. Only 38, so lots of football left and probably not married to a single philosophy like some older coaches who won't adapt.
JudgeBear1845
Not a terrible hire. He has some good and bad on his resume. He was at Okie St. during the Brandon Weeden days, at WVU during the Geno Smith days, at TAMU during the Johnny Manziel days, but hasn't really done much since. Seems like he works with QBs well so that's good.
dycbaylor02
Any word on position coaches?
boognish_bear
No Quarterback said:

boognish_bear said:

No Quarterback said:

dycbaylor02 said:

What qb is he bringing?

Hadn't thought of that, but it's possible. I figured that they had told Robertson that the job was his. we don't know what promises were made to Robertson when he transferred

Matt did an interview with Dave is going to air at 5 PM. He did not get to all the details… But he was saying something about Dave was making it sound like Shapen was kind of pressured by several people to put his name out in the portal and see what kind of interest/value he might command.
Bear2393
395 yards per game, 58th best in the country at Cal.
Daveisabovereproach
JudgeBear1845 said:

Not a terrible hire. He has some good and bad on his resume. He was at Okie St. during the Brandon Weeden days, at WVU during the Geno Smith days, at TAMU during the Johnny Manziel days, but hasn't really done much since. Seems like he works with QBs well so that's good.

His bio on the Cal website states that he has had six offenses that finished in the top 20 in total offense when he was coordinator
Art_E_Guinn
Reverend said:

Nobody thinks he's coming back. You need to move on from thinking you have to make smart ass comments about it.
There are 10+ "Bring Back Briles" threads this season alone.

Aliceinbubbleland
Free advice to Spavital. Don't buy a house. Rent. Your HC and AD are dead men walking.
Why?
Big_Pumpin
I think I'm liking this hire. Don't care what he did as a head coach. We see good coordinators fail as head coaches all the time. We are seeing on a weekly basis at Baylor.

On Sawyer. I hadn't been impressed at all until the last game. That that was one of the better 2nd halves of offensive football we played. He seemed loose in a good way. Wouldn't mind seeing him give it a go next year.

Cal also has some Tx players on roster. Might could bring some home. Especially since the conference blew up.
Feel The Floyd
Not terrible
PartyBear
If we can get Malick Murphy from Texas......
johnnychimpo
I'm not sure about the thought process behind hiring the OC who scored 7 points against the Bears in 2022.

I hope y'all already show him the door before the end of Spring camp.
Married A Horn
Art_E_Guinn said:

Reverend said:

There are 10+ "Bring Back Briles" threads this season alone.

I'm forever famous!
Wacoraisedbear
PartyBear said:

If BU somehow makes this happen we back!…. Highly doubtful though
JXL
Seems like a decent hire to me, particularly when viewed in the light of "who would want to come to this dumpster fire."
Reverend
It's people expressing frustration. Your common sense meter is running on low.
Married A Horn
Reverend said:

Its above their heads. Let them be angry.
muddybrazos
PartyBear said:

write a $1million check and I bet he's ours.
Art_E_Guinn
johnnychimpo said:

I'm not sure about the thought process behind hiring the OC who scored 7 points against the Bears in 2022.

I hope y'all already show him the door before the end of Spring camp.
Big_Pumpin
Here are the current TX players on the Cal Rosters. Just for fun. All were 3 star per 247.

Alberding, Asher - 89 TE 6040 255 RS JR/TR Clear Lake Houston, TX 3
Doerue, King - 23 RB 5100 205 RS SR/TR Tascosa Amarillo, TX 3
Gamble, Collin - 21 S 5100 200 RS JR Liberty Christian Flower Mound, TX 3
Jernigan, Myles - 33 OLB 6030 235 RS SR South Grand Prairie Grand Prairie, TX 3
Littlejohn, Matthew - 22 S 5110 180 RS JR/TR Stevens San Antonio, TX 3
Mangum, Mason - 16 WR 5110 185 RS SO Westlake Austin, TX 3
Scott II, Marcus - 24 CB 6000 180 RS FR/TR Conroe / College Park Houston, TX 3
Stredick, Ashton - 24 RB 5090 200 RS JR Needville Needville, TX 3
Thomas IV, Curlee - 51 DT 6040 260 RS FR Nolan Catholic Keller, TX 3
Tine, Martin - 70 OT 6060 310 JR/TR Alief Elsik Houston, TX 3
Williams, Miles - 13 S 6000 190 RS JR Mansfield Mansfield, TX 3
Woodson, Craig - 2 S 6000 210 RS JR South Grand Prairie Grand Prairie, TX 3
Wykoff, Matthew - 74 OG 6060 325 RS SO/TR Magnolia Magnolia, TX 3

JTM
This has "person over player" and "culture fit" written all over it. Not impressed and disappointed.
WA Jim
Pretty solid hire, all things considered. Now let's see what coaching and personnel changes he can help facilitate. But so far, better than I expected.
IBleedGreenandGold
You call the plays that fit the talent you have. Grimes offense worked in '21 due to some key players we had. Currently we need a more spread it out approach.
Art_E_Guinn
Reverend said:

It's been SEVEN years.

You guys sounds like Al Bundy talking about his playing days at Polk High.
Daveisabovereproach
JTM said:

This has "person over player" and "culture fit" written all over it. Not impressed and disappointed.

In what ways? Is Spavital known to be a philosophical guru that says things like "I wish the outcome of the game was determined by effort"
TinFoilHatPreacherBear
JTM said:

Most here were expecting that nobody good would come here, our program is in bad shape. So this guy is at least someone that offers a bit of hope.
Daveisabovereproach
Art_E_Guinn said:

Reverend said:

It's been SEVEN years.

You're the one who has turned this thread into talking about Art Briles. If someone mentioning Art set you off that bad, you should've logged out and breathed into a paper bag for 10 minutes or whatever the CDC recommends for anxiety attacks
Married A Horn
Art_E_Guinn said:

Reverend said:

It's been SEVEN years.

Scapegoating testimony just came out. Are we not allowed to think talk or feel anything about that? In direct correlation to that atrocity, we are left with the current product on the field. Are we not allowed to talk about that? On a football forum where you discuss whatever you feel like discussing? (And are free to ignore the stuff you arent interested in.)

Stop being a control freak and let people do what they want.
muddybrazos
JTM said:

I disagree. I think this is actually a decent hire given the circumstances. You need to go back to the pay board and get some sunshine pumped up your butt.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.