Football
Sponsored by

Spavital

24,571 Views | 315 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by boognish_bear
Reverend
How long do you want to ignore this user?
That's the ticket: just call everybody an Aggie.
Golden Helmet
He's abandoned every Coordinator he's had here since arriving on both sides of the ball.

How this one would be any different is hard to comprehend.

Let him go run a meditation clinic in the Mountains of Oregon with all the money he's stolen from us…he can take Mack with him.
Fre3dombear
Married A Horn said:

Art_E_Guinn said:

Reverend said:

Nobody thinks he's coming back. You need to move on from thinking you have to make smart ass comments about it.
There are 10+ "Bring Back Briles" threads this season alone.

I'm forever famous!

What's funny is disdain for Briles is like people that "hate" trump. They have no idea why or the reason is something totally irrational like "the scandal". They're now largely broke (6-7, 3-9, Mulkey gone, empty stands, no tickets sold, no donations etc) and can hardly afford to Live but dammit they hate that Trump!
Golden Helmet
Spav probably won't make it to the 6th game next season….i hear he uses some profanity and coaches kids hard.

He'll likely be at Georgia or Alabama year after next.
blackie
Big_Pumpin said:

I think I'm liking this hire. Don't care what he did as a head coach. We see good coordinators fail as head coaches all the time. We are seeing on a weekly basis at Baylor.

On Sawyer. I hadn't been impressed at all until the last game. That that was one of the better 2nd halves of offensive football we played. He seemed loose in a good way. Wouldn't mind seeing him give it a go next year.

Cal also has some Tx players on roster. Might could bring some home. Especially since the conference blew up.
Sawyer was playing injured the first part of the season. He was past that in this game.
Feel The Floyd
BearTruth13 said:

Aggies mocked this guy for years on Texags. They called his playcalling Spavtastic. I was literally talking about him in a derogatory manner to an Aggie the other day.

Meh Aggies also hated Jimbo's conservative play calling.
Big_Pumpin
blackie said:

Big_Pumpin said:

I think I'm liking this hire. Don't care what he did as a head coach. We see good coordinators fail as head coaches all the time. We are seeing on a weekly basis at Baylor.

On Sawyer. I hadn't been impressed at all until the last game. That that was one of the better 2nd halves of offensive football we played. He seemed loose in a good way. Wouldn't mind seeing him give it a go next year.

Cal also has some Tx players on roster. Might could bring some home. Especially since the conference blew up.
Sawyer was playing injured the first part of the season. He was past that in this game.

Remember hearing that on post game
BearlyBeloved
Art_E_Guinn said:

Reverend said:

It's people expressing frustration. Your common sense meter is running on low.
It's been SEVEN years.

You guys sounds like Al Bundy talking about his playing days at Polk High.
Bundy scored nine touchdowns in one game, right?

SIC EM 94
blackie said:

Big_Pumpin said:

Not sure why everyone thinks Sawyer is the answer. We scored 0 points on offense in the 1st half vs West Virginia.
Noghri
SIC EM 94 said:

blackie said:

Big_Pumpin said:

Not sure why everyone thinks Sawyer is the answer. We scored 0 points on offense in the 1st half vs West Virginia.

Let's give him a chance with a better offensive coordinator and QB coach. He may surprise

My question is if his strengths align with Spavital's offensive philosophy
boognish_bear
boognish_bear
FYI....there was a typo on 2022....that should be 111th

BearlyBeloved
boognish_bear said:

Who is in charge of dressing new hires immediately in Baylor garb and rushing them into a photo shoot????

Don't tell me it's photo-shopping. That would mean we're faking something!

Noghri
BearlyBeloved said:

boognish_bear said:

Who is in charge of dressing new hires immediately in Baylor garb and rushing them into a photo shoot????

The muppets are in storage, so we had to photoshop
Big_Pumpin
SIC EM 94 said:

blackie said:

Big_Pumpin said:

He had 3 possessions and threw it 3 times for 51 yards.

He threw for over 160 in the 2nd half with 1 TD and no INTs. 11-13 completions with 11 yd average.
modeup9
Did Cal not beat UCLA?
CoogMan17
DanaDane said:

Do Texas high school football coaches, recruits and players like him? That's who I want to like him.
I've met Spav personally when my younger brother was being recruited several years ago.

He's a high character person and a great recruiter. As far as play calling, he comes from the Air Raid tradition of offensives (or a variation of it). I feel he's never quite had the personnel to run his offense at other schools, but I believe Baylor provides him the opportunity to fully showcase it with your athletes.

Solid hire, in my opinion.
Realitybites
SIC EM 94 said:

Not sure why everyone thinks Sawyer is the answer.
Because Shapen and who knows who else is transferring out, and any inbound QB prospect has to know they're going to be playing behind an offensive line that's swiss cheese.

He's what we've got (unless one of the two Freshmen are talented enough to beat him out in camp).

He's would be a solid hire for an established head coach at a successful program.

However given that Aranda is likely going to get fired next year after another losing season, I would have preferred someone more ready to step into the HC position (like Holgerson).
PartyBear
BearlyBeloved said:

boognish_bear said:

You know it's photo shop. He probably hasn't even been here yet. He is probably literally in the Bay Area right now.
BearlyBeloved
Noghri said:

The muppets are in storage, so we had to photoshop
So why don't we photoshop more of our players scoring touchdowns???
SIC EM 94
Realitybites said:

SIC EM 94 said:

Because Shapen and who knows who else is transferring out, and any inbound QB prospect has to know they're going to be playing behind an offensive line that's swiss cheese.

He's what we've got (unless one of the two Freshmen are talented enough to beat him out in camp).

Surely we can find a QB in the portal that is better than Sawyer?
Daveisabovereproach
SIC EM 94 said:

blackie said:

Big_Pumpin said:

I'm not holding my breath. I don't think he will be a significant downgrade from Shapen, but I haven't seen anything to suggest that he will be a significant upgrade either. he seems to use his feet a little better, and he can stand in the pocket and hit open guys when given time; I could say both of those things about Shapen. I'm also not going to fall for the getting hyped up over the back up thing like what happened when Bohanon left. I'd feel much better if we could snag someone decent out of the portal to compete with Robertson, and I'm sure that's the plan
Big_Pumpin
modeup9 said:

Did Cal not beat UCLA?

Yes and beat Wash St and hung with a good Oregon St team. Scored 40 against them which was the most the beavers gave up all season.

Got them to a bowl game in a good PAC 12 while playing 3 different QBs
Krieg
gobears20 said:

To be fair, I'm not sure we've had a coach that could spell "offense" since 2016, and that year they only worked 7 games.
boognish_bear
SIC EM 94 said:

Realitybites said:

SIC EM 94 said:

And we were all so happy about six months ago when we got Sawyer through the portal

I definitely want us to bring in the best person we possibly can. Competition is always a good thing. But I'm not ready to write off Sawyer with a new OC/QB coach in town.
bear2be2
Fre3dombear said:

Big_Pumpin said:

While my perception was skewed by the score largely a result of 2 ST TDs, the eye test for me said this looks like a difference sawyer Robertson that had had .2
More months in whatever our system was and it seemed things were clicking more

I'd been hard on Sawyer previously, but I thought he looked outstanding against WVU. Moved and ran well, made good decisions and threw the ball accurately and on time. That was the guy I saw play in high school. The guy we saw early in the year was not.
Daveisabovereproach
SIC EM 94 said:

Realitybites said:

SIC EM 94 said:

I think we could find another high 3 star/4 star type player that hasn't had much playing time and got beat out by someone else, kind of like what Sawyer Robertson was when he transferred here. As far as finding a known commodity somewhere ie Hudson Card last year, Cameron Ward from Washington state, Grayson kid from coastal Carolina etc. etc…..unlikely imho.
Daveisabovereproach
boognish_bear said:

SIC EM 94 said:

Realitybites said:

SIC EM 94 said:

And we were all so happy about six months ago when we got Sawyer through the portal

I definitely want us to bring in the best person we possibly can. Competition is always a good thing. But I'm not ready to write off Sawyer with a new OC/QB coach in town.

No one is writing him off, it's just that he's far from a known commodity like people people are acting
bear2be2
Big_Pumpin said:

SIC EM 94 said:

blackie said:

Big_Pumpin said:

He had 3 possessions and threw it 3 times for 51 yards.

He threw for over 160 in the 2nd half with 1 TD and no INTs. 11-13 completions with 11 yd average.
And one of the incompletions was a drop on a perfectly thrown swing pass to Richard Reese.
bear2be2
SIC EM 94 said:

Realitybites said:

SIC EM 94 said:

Sawyer was a really good recruit out of high school. He's a talented kid. There's good reason to be excited about his potential.
Bigkahunaww
Got Mulk? said:

BearTruth13 said:

Aggies mocked this guy for years on Texags. They called his playcalling Spavtastic. I was literally talking about him in a derogatory manner to an Aggie the other day.
Unfortunately, many of the Baylor "fans" here are a lot like the Aggie fans. They whine about every coach we have except CAB. They complained about Phil's defense. They complained about Grobe. They howled and whined about the Matt Ruhle hire. They called him "Jersey". Then he won this board over, but left for the NFL, so obviously they complained about that. Now it's Aranda and Spavital.

I for one am willing to give Spavital a chance and I expect this team to be much better next year. But I know that puts me in the minority here.

And I believe alot of "" the coach they wanted wasn't picked"" so they say disparaging comments.
Krieg
boognish_bear said:

Sonny describes him as someone with a calm demeanor.

I don't really know much about his personal style....but we may have 2 pretty calm guys on the sidelines.

He'll be an old-school fire and brimstone preacher on speed compared to Aranda no matter how he acts.
BBWCBear
Married A Horn said:

boognish_bear said:

Sonny describes him as someone with a calm demeanor.

I don't really know much about his personal style....but we may 2 pretty calm guys on the sidelines.

Gonna have a lot of calm people in the stands. :/
A LOT is yet to be seen.
Krieg
Feel The Floyd said:

BearTruth13 said:

Meh Aggies also hated Jimbo's conservative play calling.

Aggy hasn't been good since the 90s anyway. I don't think their opinion of football is relevant.
broncko
SIC EM 94 said:

Realitybites said:

SIC EM 94 said:

Surely we can AFFORD a QB in the portal that is better than Sawyer?

FIFY

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.