Story Poster
Photo by Jack Mackenzie - SicEm365
Baylor Football

Player's Club: Rebounding from Colorado Loss, Learning to Play Complete Games

September 25, 2024

When a team has a game all but won and lets it slip away late for a gut-wrenching loss, there are usually two methods of response — use it as motivation and move forward, or dwell on the defeat and continue to let it fester.

As attention shifts toward Baylor's matchup this weekend against No. 22 BYU, the players and coaching staff attempt to put the last-second 38-31 overtime loss to Deion Sanders and Colorado behind them.

"Sunday was a meditation day to reflect on what happened; obviously, we weren't super happy about the ending, but we fought and played hard," linebacker Keaton Thomas (RSo.) told the media on Tuesday.

"Hopefully, everybody, including the fans back at home watching, realizes what this team is capable of," he added. "Yesterday was a great day. Everybody's feeling good. We have a great opportunity to play a really good team this weekend, so we're just looking forward to Saturday."

Wide receiver Hal Presley (Sr.), who caught two passes for a team-high 43 yards in the loss, shares the same sentiment as Thomas, saying, "I'm just speaking for today — none of that came up in practice. We moved on because if you dwell on the loss, it's going to fall into this week, and we need to win. It's gone. We were a little hurt Monday, but we talked about it and got it out the window, and we're onto the next."

Jack Mackenzie - SicEm365
“We were a little hurt Monday, but we talked about it and got it out the window, and we're onto the next,” wide receiver Hal Presley (Sr.) said on Tuesday.

Considering how it went down with the missed field goal, the Hail Mary and the goal-line fumble, how can you even attempt to flush a defeat like that? It's "simple," according to Thomas, who led the Bears with nine tackles and two sacks against the Buffs.

"Saturday was Saturday, it's Tuesday now, and it's onto the next Saturday," he said. "You can't think about the past for too long. It's one day at a time and one week at a time, and that's what we're focused on this Saturday."

In Monday's weekly press conference, head coach Dave Aranda reiterated a "sense of urgency" with this team, and he doesn't believe his squad will let losses snow-pile like last year's team might have.

"I really do agree with that," Presley said in response to Aranda's comment. "For one, it's not going to happen the same way because a lot of us are going to leave [after the season]. In every game, we have to make ourselves known; we have to get the win. A lot of us know that the only way we're going to go to the [NFL] is if we win games. They want winners, not losers."

Despite the loss, the Bears out-played Colorado for much of the contest. But with Aranda firmly entrenched on the hot seat, Baylor is no longer in the business of moral victories. The players recognize that and know they must turn things around this fall.

"I'm really just proud of this team for the way we fought," Thomas said. "It didn't end the way we wanted, but we're not going to put our heads down; it's a long season. We've got a lot more to prove, and I think, like I said in the spring, our potential is limitless. We just have to stay consistent and keep working to reach it."

The next challenge for Aranda's Bears is learning to finish and play quality football for four quarters. Against No. 11 Utah and Air Force, Baylor started slow but finished strong. Versus Colorado, the Bears started strong and flamed out toward the end.

"This weekend, that's going to be our point of emphasis – making sure that we start fast and finish strong," Thomas said. "Once we do that, it's a four-quarter game, and winning that middle eight will be the most important piece. Those last four [minutes] until the half and then the first four [minutes] opening the half; if we win that, we win the game."

How will the players keep that at the forefront of their minds this weekend against the Cougars? It's about playing for something bigger than yourself, according to Presley.

"Constantly having it in your mind that it's bigger than you," he said. "You get tired; you have to think about your mom. My mom worked two jobs, so I don't have time to think about things like, 'Oh, I want, I want to lay off on this or that.' That's the mindset you must have: that it's bigger than you; you have to do it for more than yourself."

Offensively, Baylor has looked much improved over its last two games with quarterback Sawyer Robertson (RJr.) at the helm. Against the Buffs, Robertson totaled three touchdowns, threw for 148 yards on 11-of-21 passing and rushed for 82 yards on nine carries. 

One of the game's highlights was a 24-yard touchdown pass to Presley in the back corner of the endzone, which should have been the game-winner. The senior wide receiver had positive things to say about Robertson through two starts this fall.

"I've seen nothing but leadership from Sawyer, and it's not like he's faking it," Presley said. "You can tell when somebody's a fake leader; you can see straight through it with him. I've always seen him as a leader, and he's doing a great job right now."

Thomas has also seen the offense's growth, noting, "I think they've just been putting it all together. Early in the season, they were still trying to figure out who they were and who their identity was. Now that they've figured it out, we're fast, physical and we play really hard. I think that grit is going to take us far on the offensive side. I'm really proud of those guys."

With BYU head coach Kalani Sitake's unbeaten No. 22 Cougars coming to Waco this weekend, Baylor's offense and defense must be ready to play on Saturday to get back into the win column.

"They're explosive and very disciplined," Thomas said. "Obviously, it's an older group, so they've played with each other for a good bit. They have a couple of guys who transferred in who are really good players as well. I don't expect anything less but pure competition and grit from those guys. I'm excited to play against them. If we do what we're supposed to, we'll have no problem competing against them."

Presley added, "They're a great team. I respect them a lot. They're going to do everything right. We're going to have to come with our stuff. They're a great team and are well-coached. I'm happy to go against them. I'm ready."

The Bears (2-2, 0-1) will look to rebound this weekend against No. 22 BYU (4-0, 1-0) at 11 a.m., Saturday, Sept. 28, at McLane Stadium. The game will be televised on FS1.

Discussion from...

Player's Club: Rebounding from Colorado Loss, Learning to Play Complete Games

422 Views | 0 Replies | Last: 6 hrs ago by Levi Caraway
There are not any replies to this post yet.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.