Football
Sponsored by

TCU In The College Football Playoff

21,103 Views | 180 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by MilliVanilli
PartyBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Nick Nolte said:

Thee University said:

We tried to get Patterson before Briles.

Patterson called a coach meeting and went around the room asking each coach if they wanted to go to Baylor and coach in the Big 12. All said no and one even said something along the lines of, " Coach, why would we want to go to Waco? They are offering scholarships to kids we are not even recruiting".

We tried years ago and got shot down.
That story sounds made up. How would anyone possibly know that?
Because it is made up. Patterson was not a candidate when we were hiring after the 07 season.
Mothra
Nick Nolte said:

Mothra said:

brokebear said:

Yes Patterson is better coach than Briles. Smarter and more honest. More ethical. That's why he's got a job and Briles is playing with free Baylor money in his early retirement.
Patterson is a good coach, but a piece of crap in real life. A miserable a**hole. Everyone in the media knows it as well. Had the privilege of sitting next to a very high profile and respected sports broadcaster in DFW at a charity dinner several years ago, and the subject of Briles and Patterson came up. He was profuse in his praise of Briles, but said Patterson is one of the worst human beings he ever met. Told me a story about when he first met Patterson and what a complete @sshole Patterson was to him - a guy who is sports royalty in the DFW area. Was just a total d!ck.

I don't care how good Patterson is, I wouldn't want him at Baylor.
Wow. How is Matt Mosely in real life? pretty cool you go to meet him.
Ha! Not Mosley (though I've met him, and he's a very nice and funny guy). This guy is a broadcasting legend in the DFW area. One of the nicest guys they say, which is why his comments were so surprising. He had a couple of glasses of wine.
xiledinok
Thee would know what goes on behind the scenes.
I don't doubt Baylor looked at Patterson.
Why would a program not look at Patterson?
Of course Patterson was a better coach than Briles. He would adjust on the field and was able to handle major off the field issues without causing payout after payout.
There isn't a debate. Handling your players is part of the job description. Also, Patterson won bigger and had a better compension package.
I will point out that Del Conte is a better athletic director and put Patterson in a better light than the Canadian. Conte has TCU in a position of strength. The CFP put Conte on the committee. He did what he was told.
Mothra
xiledinok said:

Of course Patterson was a better coach than Briles. He would adjust on the field and was able to handle major off the field issues without causing payout after payout.
There isn't a debate. Handling your players is part of the job description. Also, Patterson won bigger and had a better compension package.
I will point out that Del Conte is a better athletic director and put Patterson in a better light than the Canadian. Conte has TCU in a position of strength. The CFP put Conte on the committee. He did what he was told.
Ok. Again I ask, your point?
Private Pyle
I didn't realize TCU paid Patterson so well. His salary is $4.75mm per the Internet
Thee University
Nick Nolte said:

Thee University said:

Patterson called a coach meeting and went around the room asking each coach if they wanted to go to Baylor and coach in the Big 12. All said no and one even said something along the lines of, " Coach, why would we want to go to Waco? They are offering scholarships to kids we are not even recruiting".

I got it from an East Texas Athletic Director who has placed a large number of kids into not only TCU but other Big 12 schools. An assistant at TCU told the AD. This AD is golden and would never make up stuff like this.
Thee University
PartyBear said:

Nick Nolte said:

Thee University said:

Because it is made up. Patterson was not a candidate when we were hiring after the 07 season.
It was not made up. I never said it was after the '07 season.
Aberzombie1892
mmodine said:

I didn't realize TCU paid Patterson so well. His salary is $4.75mm per the Internet
Out of 16 complete seasons as TCU's head coach, Patterson is 155-53 with 10 AP top 25 finishes and TCU was in a P5 for only 5 of those seasons. He's won 9/14 of the bowls during those complete seasons.

He's a top 10 coach.

xiledinok
Mothra said:

xiledinok said:

Patterson was a better coach than Briles. Unless Art can show up with "some day" or whatever they plan to unveil to make him a huge set up victim, I don't see his accomplishments passing Patterson's.

If Patterson makes the CFP, will you finally realize that it is not some sorta set up to screw Baylor by ESPN?
Do you normally let people do what they wish at work when you give instructions to do otherwise and then reward them? I can understand your problems with the Worldwide Leader if you let people do as they please against your wishes.
PartyBear
Thee University said:

PartyBear said:

Nick Nolte said:

Thee University said:

It was not made up. I never said it was after the '07 season.
Well then yes If you are saying this happened in 98 or 02 then any college head coach would have been a candidate before Briles back when Briles was high school coach or a 3rd year college position coach which I thought was your point.
Mothra
xiledinok said:

Mothra said:

xiledinok said:

Patterson was a better coach than Briles. Unless Art can show up with "some day" or whatever they plan to unveil to make him a huge set up victim, I don't see his accomplishments passing Patterson's.

If Patterson makes the CFP, will you finally realize that it is not some sorta set up to screw Baylor by ESPN?
Do you normally let people do what they wish at work when you give instructions to do otherwise and then reward them? I can understand your problems with the Worldwide Leader if you let people do as they please against your wishes.
Again, what is your point? You believe Patterson is better than Briles? Ok. What does that have to do with the subject matter of this thread or what we've been discussing?

For the record, I never said ESPN screwed Baylor. We screwed ourselves.
xiledinok
Tcu is getting in if they win the league and dont lose to a dumpster fire (that would be us since the tank).
They did what they were asked to do by the CFP.

Nick Nolte
xiledinok said:

Who is Conte? And whoever he is, the CFP committee Wiki page make no mention of him https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/College_Football_Playoff

xiledinok
Del Conte was a CFP candidate. He ll was he left off. He ll get rewarded here soon.
Far from fake, they followed the scheduling protocol. We did not and couldn't get a tube steak from the CFP or ESPN.
Thee University
Aberzombie1892 said:

mmodine said:

Out of 16 complete seasons as TCU's head coach, Patterson is 155-53 with 10 AP top 25 finishes and TCU was in a P5 for only 5 of those seasons. He's won 9/14 of the bowls during those complete seasons.

He's a top 10 coach.

He is a Top 10 coach and had Baylor been able to snag him we would have provided him even better recruiting, facilities & support over what he has gotten.

Another thing........he would still be coaching in Waco.
MidWestBear2010
Thee University said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

mmodine said:

He's a top 10 coach.

He is a Top 10 coach and had Baylor been able to snag him we would have provided him even better recruiting, facilities & support over what he has gotten.

X and Thee: Both of you frog lovers should do us a huge favor and leave this place and go to the TCU board. You can join them in their hate for all things Briles and belief that Patterson can do no wrong. Just don't call them Christians they would hate that.
Private Pyle
Aberzombie1892 said:

mmodine said:

He's a top 10 coach.

No doubt, maybe top 5-7.
ilbb990912
TCU and the "pure-as-the-wind-driven-snow" Patterson were defendents in their own little rape scandal...where's the outrage directed at them?

"The plaintiff, identified only by the initials K.S., said a university official "urged her not to report the drugging and gang-rape," according to the petition filed Friday in a Tarrant County district court.

According to the petition, the university did not take the necessary measures to prevent the assault, including "knowingly and/or negligently recruiting athletes with known histories of sexual misconduct and criminal misbehavior."

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/former-student-who-alleged-rape-sues-tcu/
xiledinok
MidWestBear2010 said:

Thee University said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

mmodine said:

He's a top 10 coach.

X and Thee: Both of you frog lovers should do us a huge favor and leave this place and go to the TCU board. You can join them in their hate for all things Briles and belief that Patterson can do no wrong. Just don't call them Christians they would hate that.
TCU Lover? That's for those who sat down and enjoyed that tank job last year. You would think with the bad blood between those coaching staffs, our coaches would have shown some heart and prepared the team. I guess we could just screw "thinking" in any possible professional way last year. I was thrilled I had other places to go at half instead of suffering through another half of quit.

As far as Christians, I don't think Baylor has the moral compass to point fingers at people and question their faith. It is not a faith based conversation. God doesn't care about competition.
"I was the last to know" while crying out and quoting scriptures sounds like John Gotti on crack. "No John, you set things up that way."
xiledinok
ilbb990912 said:

TCU and the "pure-as-the-wind-driven-snow" Patterson were defendents in their own little rape scandal...where's the outrage directed at them?

"The plaintiff, identified only by the initials K.S., said a university official "urged her not to report the drugging and gang-rape," according to the petition filed Friday in a Tarrant County district court.

According to the petition, the university did not take the necessary measures to prevent the assault, including "knowingly and/or negligently recruiting athletes with known histories of sexual misconduct and criminal misbehavior."

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/former-student-who-alleged-rape-sues-tcu/

How did it turn out? Best find good handlers for delinquents.
Thee University
MidWestBear2010 said:

Thee University said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

mmodine said:

He's a top 10 coach.

Why would I do that? Can you not handle the truth?

I don't love the Toads but I do respect them. They got left behind but went on a mission to get back in the big leagues.

If Baylor can't win it (which is already a reality) then I root for TCU, SMU & Rice to win it.

We (Baylor) courted Patterson years ago. He turned us down.

MidWestBear2010
xiledinok said:

MidWestBear2010 said:

Thee University said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

mmodine said:

He's a top 10 coach.

TCU Lover? That's for those who sat down and enjoyed that tank job last year. You would think with the bad blood between those coaching staffs, our coaches would have shown some heart and prepared the team. I guess we could just screw "thinking" in any possible professional way last year. I was thrilled I had other places to go at half instead of suffering through another half of quit.

As far as Christians, I don't think Baylor has the moral compass to point fingers at people and question their faith. It is not a faith based conversation. God doesn't care about competition.
"I was the last to know" while crying out and quoting scriptures sounds like John Gotti on crack. "No John, you set things up that way."
Questioning their faith? How do you question the faith that someone doesn't claim to have? That's like someone telling you that they don't have faith and you saying I don't believe you. The fact that TCU is not a Christian school anymore is not debatable, they are very proud of that fact.

And yes you are a huge TCU lover and Patterson fan. You are on the wrong site buddy!

By the way Patterson is the perfect personality for TCU. Very insecure with a touch of the napoleon complex. They remind me of that extended family member that takes a pickup game way to seriously and then brags about it every time you see them for the next year. Very odd.
BrutalBear
marco said:

chukronos said:

They were my dark horse to win the bigXII. they are a strong team. Never count out Gary p after a bad season.
Gary Patterson will always bounce back.
It's cause he's round, right? Underrated post.
80sBEAR
Gary Patterson is just like Donald Trump. Many people hate him and think he's an a $ $ h o l e, but he just keeps on WINNING.
"This is not an institution of football."
-- Dr. David Garland
Jacques Strap
Can we lock this thread so the Patterson worship has to go to Killer Frogs where it belongs?
xiledinok
MidWestBear2010 said:

xiledinok said:

MidWestBear2010 said:

Thee University said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

mmodine said:

He's a top 10 coach.

Questioning their faith? How do you question the faith that someone doesn't claim to have? That's like someone telling you that they don't have faith and you saying I don't believe you. The fact that TCU is not a Christian school anymore is not debatable, they are very proud of that fact.

And yes you are a huge TCU lover and Patterson fan. You are on the wrong site buddy!

By the way Patterson is the perfect personality for TCU. Very insecure with a touch of the napoleon complex. They remind me of that extended family member that takes a pickup game way to seriously and then brags about it every time you see them for the next year. Very odd.I
I guess if it was a priority to have a faith based school as your criteria for an education based on faith TCU is not the answer. I could care less about their education or priorities. They are irrelevant in the classroom. Their football program is solid but Baylor could be better.
Only an idiot thinks fat Pat cannot coach. You don't have to like him but he has done well. .
marco
Thee University said:

Jacques Strap said:

No way they make the playoffs. They don't "play the right way". They are a spread team for crying out loud and I've read repeadely on this site posts by Thee and others that no spread team will EVER win it all much less make the playoffs. You can only beat Alabama if you play the game on their terms and out recruit them. It is KNOWN.
Lying MFer. What I said for YEARS that no Art Briles team would make it.

Patterson is different. He believes in Defense first. When he realized that he was not going to get there without a new Offense he went out and hired Sonny Cumbie. He has had a dedicated Special Teams coach for 3 years now.

Patterson is a complete coach and got closer to making the final four than pretender Briles.

If Baylor can't make it I hope that TCU does.
Dear Tard,
Please read carefully, (hint) the word "final" is right there in the story.

Love,
Buttums

http://www.fbschedules.com/2014/12/final-2014-college-football-playoff-rankings-released/

College Football Playoff Rankings (Final)
1. Alabama, 12-1
2. Oregon, 12-1
3. Florida State, 13-0
4. Ohio State, 12-1
5. Baylor, 11-1
6. TCU, 11-1

Are you some kind of Aggy when it comes to numbers?

And if that doesn't satisfy you here are the FINAL College Football Rankings from 2014 as found on the COLLEGE FOOTBALL PLAYOFF WEBSITE.

http://d30ratpzqzalg7.cloudfront.net/CD-drupal-cfp-PROD/s3fs-public/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/2014-Rankings.pdf

Briles got closer to the playoffs than your fat buddy. Suck it ya thick necked dumbass.
Quinton
Extremely unlikely but the conference is pretty weak and there for the taking. The odds are very high they lose at least one game.. probably against OU. Then at least one more close call that could go either way.
Shakesbear
Much ado about nothing!
Retreat Hell! We just got here! The 2/5
Mothra
Thee University said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

mmodine said:

He's a top 10 coach.

He never would have been hired at Baylor. I thought you wanted an honorable man at our university, not a jerk on his third wife. Was that just lip service?
Thee University
Mothra said:

Thee University said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

mmodine said:

He's a top 10 coach.

He never would have been hired at Baylor. I thought you wanted an honorable man at our university, not a jerk on his third wife. Was that just lip service?
A jerk on his third wife vs. one who knowingly brought an element onto campus that forever changed the lives of 18-22 year old coeds? Those are some very bad dudes or as his son said, we got a lot of white women at Baylor and they love football players.

Very honorable!
Mothra
Thee University said:

Mothra said:

Thee University said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

mmodine said:

He's a top 10 coach.

A jerk on his third wife vs. one who knowingly brought an element onto campus that forever changed the lives of 18-22 year old coeds? Those are some very bad dudes or as his son said, we got a lot of white women at Baylor and they love football players.

Very honorable!

So, as long as his morals were better than art Briles he was Acceptablel in your opinion?

Just be honest, character never really mattered to you. You wanted are gone because you felt he only paid attention to one phase of the game. You would gladly take a scumbag who met your standards on the field. This post is proof positive.
Thee University
Mothra said:

Thee University said:

Mothra said:

Thee University said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

mmodine said:

He's a top 10 coach.

Very honorable!

So, as long as his morals were better than art Briles he was Acceptablel in your opinion?

Just be honest, character never really mattered to you. You wanted are gone because you felt he only paid attention to one phase of the game. You would gladly take a scumbag who met your standards on the field. This post is proof positive.
I did not want him gone until the dirty BS was revealed. I just wanted him to maximize his opportunities given to him by a Baylor that bent over backwards for him. Character does matter. Loyalty matters. Discipline matters.

Life is so much more than winning football games with questionable practices & characters.
MidWestBear2010
Thee University said:

Mothra said:

Thee University said:

Mothra said:

Thee University said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

mmodine said:

He's a top 10 coach.

Very honorable!

I did not want him gone until the dirty BS was revealed. I just wanted him to maximize his opportunities given to him by a Baylor that bent over backwards for him. Character does matter. Loyalty matters. Discipline matters.

Life is so much more than winning football games with questionable practices & characters.

So what do you say to the players who actually spent time with Briles and say he is a man of great character? Are they liars?
Mothra
And yet, a coach 100 miles north who had his own set of issues with players that he successfully swept under the rug, is a miserable person, on his third wife, is perfectly fine.

SMH. Obviously you don't see the irony.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.