* * Midway Goes 10-0

31,769 Views | 380 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by RR/BV
RioRata
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Assassin said:

Midway with the pick back to the SL 26

Hicks has been big all season.
RioRata
Assassin said:

RioRata said:

Assassin said:

check this out, found it when I was moving last year;

Heckmann didn't turn in his playbook? He's in trouble!!!l
No kidding!

I pretty much stayed in trouble there... they were used to it

Hope you aren't accruing fines on that they way that library books do lol.

You might want to skip the country.
Assassin
35-28 Midway
On Facebook at Memories of...
Dallas, Dallas Public, Texas, Football in Texas, Texas Music, and our newest Memories From a Texas Window. Come see us!
Assassin
HUGE D series for Midway. 4:49 left in the game, Panthers hold. SL has to punt
Dallas, Dallas Public, Texas, Football in Texas, Texas Music, and our newest Memories From a Texas Window. Come see us!
Assassin
Midway converts on 3rd and 14. Down inside the SL 30 - 2ish mins left
BuinmyBlood
Keep those updates coming please. My best friend's grandson is an offensive lineman for Midway. Hope they can finish this off.
Assassin
Here's the game. 4th & 3, 38 seconds from SLCs 9. We get a first game is over
Assassin
Midway SCORES!!!
RioRata
Both coaches know how to use there TOs, unlike...

{cough} Matt Rhule {cough}
Assassin
33 seconds left, 42-28 Midway
BuinmyBlood
Assassin
gonna hate to see Mordecai as a Sooner
BuinmyBlood
Fantastic! Thanks for keeping those of us out of state informed. Go Midway!
Assassin
Last week Midway went to 13-0 which was thier first time to get to 13 wins. Now 14-0
RioRata
Assassin said:

Midway SCORES!!!

Icing!!!

Midway moves on.

SLC goes home.
Assassin
RioRata said:

Assassin said:

Midway SCORES!!!

Icing!!!

Midway moves on.

SLC goes home.
ScottS is gonna be sad
Assassin
Midway vs Longview in Allen at 6pm next Saturday
gobears20
Staff
Assassin
gobears20 said:

Did you go to the game?
RioRata
Assassin said:

Sorry, can't root for Midway next season. Waco High is moving up to 6A. Would like to pull for them a little but I think there are rules and such lol.
RioRata
Assassin said:

RioRata said:

Assassin said:

Midway SCORES!!!

Icing!!!

Midway moves on.

SLC goes home.
ScottS is gonna be sad

Yup.
Assassin
RioRata said:

Assassin said:

Sorry, can't root for Midway next season. Waco High is moving up to 6A. Would like to pull for them a little but I think there are rules and such lol.
Not sure WHS will be competitive for a while. Only 5 kids over the min limit. Somebody said that size matters
Assassin
Bearprof
Differences in tonight's game vs. MHS's previous three playoff opponents:

1. SLC didn't make many mistakes, as Hulme basically predicted in an interview earlier this week. They have a pretty balanced team and knew their assignments;

2. MHS's play calling wasn't as varied as in previous weeks, and they became very predictable. They didn't use the middle of the field much at all, nothing to Priebe (TE - #11) that I recall;

3. MHS had more penalties which stalled at least two drives - false starts and illegal snaps;

4. SLC's QB doesn't have much of an arm, but he is accurate and puts the ball where only his WRs can catch it. The difference in velocity between Mordecai's and his passes was significant;

5. MHS needs to develop some sort of pass rush, as the SLC QB had all day to throw;

6. Mordecai will be a load at OU if he can adjust mentally to the college game, and he was the difference in the game tonight.

MHS should have won this game by 21...an easy 21, but SLC aren't slouches and they put up a heck of a fight. MHS was tested and came out on top. Now on to semi-finals against Longview.

Volunteer
Bearprof said:

1. SLC didn't make many mistakes, as Hulme basically predicted in an interview earlier this week. They have a pretty balanced team and knew their assignments;

2. MHS's play calling wasn't as varied as in previous weeks, and they became very predictable. They didn't use the middle of the field much at all, nothing to Priebe (TE - #11) that I recall;

3. MHS had more penalties which stalled at least two drives - false starts and illegal snaps;

4. SLC's QB doesn't have much of an arm, but he is accurate and puts the ball where only his WRs can catch it. The difference in velocity between Mordecai's and his passes was significant;

5. MHS needs to develop some sort of pass rush, as the SLC QB had all day to throw;

6. Mordecai will be a load at OU if he can adjust mentally to the college game, and he was the difference in the game tonight.

MHS should have won this game by 21...an easy 21, but SLC aren't slouches and they put up a heck of a fight. MHS was tested and came out on top. Now on to semi-finals against Longview.

Agree with your observations. I'll add that there were a number of dropped balls. The dropped pass in the end zone right before the half was particularly tough. Would have given Midway a 28-7 lead at the half.
The Stache
RioRata said:

Assassin said:

check this out, found it when I was moving last year;

Heckmann didn't turn in his playbook? He's in trouble!!!l
I was one year behind Assassin at Midway; we were on the JV team together before he made the varsity squad. I still have my varsity playbook from my senior year ('72 season). It seems that several of you familiar posters are from Midway; I had no idea there were so many Panthers here or on the old BaylorFans site.
Assassin
Bearprof said:

Differences in tonight's game vs. MHS's previous three playoff opponents:...
Did you go to the game BF?

BTW - one thing I forgot all about was how our Baylor commits played? How did Kimble of SLC do?
gobears20
Staff
No didn't get to go
gobears20
Staff
gobears20
Staff
Robert Wilson
Lots of good football in Cemtral Texas again this year.

Live oak won TAPPS 6 man (repeat)
Mart still alive in 2A
Rockdale in 3A (ok that's on the edge)
La Vega in 4A
Midway in 6A

Could stack up a few trophies this year.

Am I missing anyone?
LIB,MR BEARS
Bearprof said:

Midway dropped two TD passes on the same series and the missed the kick along with the penalties. If they can clean things up, they can win the whole thing.

#10 for SLC is a 4* sophomore - son of Ray Mickens. Anyone with a college team is recruiting him and, for good reason. Midway's #15 defended him well but when he ran a crossing pattern in the redzone, there was no inside help. The kid has nice hands
RioRata
Assassin said:

RioRata said:

Assassin said:

Not sure WHS will be competitive for a while. Only 5 kids over the min limit. Somebody said that size matters

When Smoaky, Butch and Paul first discussed the new realignment they said that Waco High should have their best team ( barring injury) since the Johnny Tusa days...or something to that effect. Depth and injuries continue to be an issue for them now at the 5A level. Some callers mentioned the possible consolidation of WHS and University but I don't see that happening.

University was scheduled to consolidate with WHS, Jefferson-Moore and Richfield back in the 80s until LULAC began to rattle their legal sword and WISD wanted no part of that...doubt things have changed. Even if the Lions were to add that 1,800 students to their enrollment I doubt there would be enough football talent to make a difference. Could be some rough sledding in the Lions future.
Bearprof
Mickens played extremely well. Very athletic and seems to have some serious upside. MHS has gone up against some really good WRs this season - that 2019 commit, Gleeson, and now Mickens. MHS's DBs have been well coached this year. If the 2014 team (with Hicks, Haughton, and Stricklin) had this defense, they would have beaten Spring HS in that 46-45 3rd round shootout (to this day is the best HS game I've attended), and who knows how far they would have gone. This DL, with Player clogging up the middle, makes you earn those yards and doesn't allow big plays via the run. SLC was double teaming Player all night, and they were smart to do so.
80sBEAR
I love to see a Waco high school football thread live at the top of the Baylor Football board. It is deserved. It makes sense. It makes me laugh. Congrats Midway. You guys are an institution of football.
"This is not an institution of football."
-- Dr. David Garland

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.