Football
Sponsored by

* * Midway Goes 10-0

29,482 Views | 380 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by RR/BV
LIB,MR BEARS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Rio, do you have JMoore roots?

'81 for me. Football was 0-30 while I was there.
RioRata
LIB,MR BEARS said:

Yep...North Jr, Tennyson Jr and J-Mo High. Played ball for "Cheif" Vernon Hicks, Maurice Dawson (SUX), Jack Schrader...

Attended with Vasek's daughter (Adrienne). My older brother attended Old WHS and played football (Wayne Gardner) and baseball (Flood bros).

My bother's best freind was All-State (as a Jr) for Jack Schrader at Old WHS. He turned down a scholly to Jacksonville State to joind the Air Force. Dumb bastage would have played ball with Artis Gilmore had he accepted the scholarship.
LIB,MR BEARS
What year? My sister was 79 JM and me 81
LIB,MR BEARS
They had some awesome hoops
RioRata
LIB,MR BEARS said:

What year? My sister was 79 JM and me 81

RioRata
LIB,MR BEARS said:

They had some awesome hoops

Yep. They made it to the Final Four in Austin my 9th grade year at Tennyson. That team had some serious heighth. We never lacked for guard play while I was there. Don Alley (my soph year) was a High School All-American and Leroy Johnson (my Sr year) sighed with UofH and would have been there for the beginning of Phi Slamma Jamma had he kept his grades in order.
Flaming Moderate
Saturday should be a really good game. The first two were classics.

Is Midway a function of changing demographics or recruiting? IIRC, the really good RB from 2008 "moved" to Midway from University.
Assassin
Flaming Moderate said:

Is Midway a function of changing demographics or recruiting? IIRC, the really good RB from 2008 "moved" to Midway from University.
Dont really know how inter-HS recruiting works. Didnt have that in my day. If you lived in a district, you went to that school.
hodedofome
Flaming Moderate said:

As with most things it's both. There's a lot more apartments and duplexes available in the Hewitt area, but ask any Waco High coach about athlete transfers. They know ahead of time if a kid is good he'll be moving to Midway.

More affordable renting options and transfers is what is changing the demographics.
TSUBoogie
Flaming Moderate said:

Jay Hubert moved from Waco High. They had a crowded backfield when he was there. Jared Salubi (BU) Charles Silmon went to TCU for track and has a personal best of 9.98 sec in the 100m. Then there were the brothers of BK Dugas and Bronshay Dugas who played FB/RB on those WHS teams. He went to Midway and produced one of the most insane SR year campaigns for a RB. He then went on to KSU where he had a solid career.
Robert Wilson
A number of WISD athletes somehow end up at Midway. Ahmad Dixon is another recent example.
RR/BV
LIB,MR BEARS said:

Lib, Mr Bears

Do you remember the 1980 Richfield J Moore game in the Rainstorm?
RioRata
Robert Wilson said:

A number of WISD athletes somehow end up at Midway. Ahmad Dixon is another recent example.

Not saying that Midway recruits but many programs have and do. There have been rumors out there for years that Katy High and Katy ISD do. Bob McQueen did back in the day at Temple...interesting story about how the (Kenneth) Davis family ended up in Temple. Not surpising that Kenneth was on the take at TCU.
Nguyen One Soon
Assassin said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Dont really know how inter-HS recruiting works. Didnt have that in my day. If you lived in a district, you went to that school.
During at least the '60's and '70's, schools in the Permian Basin recruited out of Houston, etc by offering players dads jobs they couldn't turn down. The kids were usually young enough that transfer rules didn't apply.
Robert Wilson
RioRata said:

Robert Wilson said:

Not saying that Midway recruits but many programs have and do. There have been rumors out there for years that Katy High and Katy ISD do. Bob McQueen did back in the day at Temple...interesting story about how the (Kenneth) Davis family ended up in Temple. Not surpising that Kenneth was on the take at TCU.

Where was Davis from? Bartlett?
Assassin
Midway Panthers will take on the Longview Lobos at Eagle Stadium in Allen ISD. Game kicks off at 6:00pm on Saturday December 16th.

Midway will be HOME team.

Directions to Eagle Stadium

Pre-sale Tickets will be sold at:
Midway High School Pay Window 8:00-4:00 Thursday and 8:00-1:00 Friday
Midway High School Cafeteria Thursday and Friday (lunch only)
Midway Activity Center 8:00-4:00 Thursday and 8:00-1:00 Friday
Midway Middle School Friday during lunch only
Pre-sale Tickets:
Adult:$10.00
Children ages 5 and up: $5.00
All Tickets Purchased at Gate are $12.00
There is a $5.00 charge for parking.

Game will be broadcast on ESPN 1660 and FM99.1
RioRata
Nguyen One Soon said:

Assassin said:

Flaming Moderate said:

During at least the '60's and '70's, schools in the Permian Basin recruited out of Houston, etc by offering players dads jobs they couldn't turn down. The kids were usually young enough that transfer rules didn't apply.

Yep...remember reading about that. I've also been told those schools were pulling in talent from the Ft Worth ISD schools.
RioRata
Robert Wilson said:

RioRata said:

Robert Wilson said:

Where was Davis from? Bartlett?

Somewhere in that area. Had a roommate at Baylor that was from Temple. His mom taught in the Temple ISD and his dad was a BIG Wildcats booster. Needless to say I got the scoop about the Davis family's move to Temple.
RioRata
Assassin said:

Midway Panthers will take on the Longview Lobos at Eagle Stadium in Allen ISD. Game kicks off at 6:00pm on Saturday December 16th.

Midway will be HOME team.

Directions to Eagle Stadium

Pre-sale Tickets will be sold at:
Midway High School Pay Window 8:00-4:00 Thursday and 8:00-1:00 Friday
Midway High School Cafeteria Thursday and Friday (lunch only)
Midway Activity Center 8:00-4:00 Thursday and 8:00-1:00 Friday
Midway Middle School Friday during lunch only
Pre-sale Tickets:
Adult:$10.00
Children ages 5 and up: $5.00
All Tickets Purchased at Gate are $12.00
There is a $5.00 charge for parking.

Game will be broadcast on ESPN 1660 and FM99.1

Also online using the Tunein Radio app. 1660 is a Tunein station. Lots of good stuff about Baylor and CenTex sports Mon-Fri (11:00am-6:00pm).

Did I do that right Smoaky? Put the check in the mail, as usual lol.
RioRata
Assassin said:

Flaming Moderate said:

Recruiting has always been a UIL no-no. The offending school will receive probation (two years I think) and be excluded from State playoff competition during that probation. All games the recruited player participated in will become forfeitures. This happened to one of the Katy schools (Cinco Ranch or Taylor) . They hired the North Shore coach and some of his best players "just happened" to follow along. Katy High was the school that turned them in.

Midway turned Jefferson-Moore in for an alledged recruiting violation. This back fired and several Midway boosters lost there jobs for making the private family records of the kid public, IIRC. The kid went on to break all of SHSUs career passing records.
LIB,MR BEARS
RR/BV said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Lib, Mr Bears

Do you remember the 1980 Richfield J Moore game in the Rainstorm?
I can't say that I do. I didn't play. My senior year I was 5'6" and 128. Tusa was scared I'd break someone in half.
LIB,MR BEARS
I don't know what forum it should go on but, we need a centex HS Sports history thread. This area has had some great athletes and great games
cowboycwr
Robert Wilson said:

Dixon went to Midway from 7th grade on. That seems a little more like a move then a sports related thing.

A lot of good athletes in 6th/ 7th grade are good because they hit puberty first.
cowboycwr
There are always rumors that the good schools recruit but rarely ever any proof.

But if you look at the school past athletics you see lots of other things as well.

Look at crime rates of the neighborhoods. A lot lower in Midway area then WISD.

When was the last time a Midway ISD school was rated unacceptable or improvement required...... oh wait never happened.

But when was the last time a WISD school was.... oh yeah there are currently 5 schools on the list and Waco High is only like 3 years removed from that list.

So yes for some families it may be about getting their child playing time but there are also lots of other factors connected to it as well.

All of the above could apply to lots of other districts/ schools that get lots of athletes as well.
cowboycwr
Flaming Moderate said:

Changing demographics.

Recruiting is against UIL rules.
cowboycwr
Assassin said:

Flaming Moderate said:

It is against the rules.

If it happened coaches would be turning each other in left and right.

Especially since Midway and Waco high will be in the same district for the next 2 years.

Right now a player that moves schools and is playing 9-12 sports (freshmen, JV, varsity) they must fill out a PAP (previous athletic participation) and the former coach must approve the move, and the district committee.

IF a coach thinks the kid moved for athletic reasons they just check the box and the student cannot play that year.
Brandwin
I'm sure part of the Midway being so damn good now is them opening up transfers. In the past you had to have to live in the district, correct? Plus if you're an athlete and have a chance at the facilities Midway has or going to Waco High or University, what would you want? I personally would transfer my child f I lived in Waco ISD. Some WISD elementary schools are fine but once you start getting to Middle and High School, there are better options.
Flaming Moderate
So it is recruiting? I realize it cannot be obvious, but I suspect there is a high level of transfers that happen to be really good football players?
cowboycwr
Flaming Moderate said:

So it is recruiting? I realize it cannot be obvious, but I suspect there is a high level of transfers that happen to be really good football players?
I doubt it. I just don't understand why some people find it hard to believe that Midway can have sports talent. That area is now larger than the attendance zones for the 2 WISD schools. Those household incomes average higher. Many of those families can afford the club teams, personal trainers, etc.

There is a reason (other than athletics) that many Baylor coaches put their kids there.

Midway volleyball had several Division 1 players on it last year. Several of them went to Midway their entire school career.

There have been numerous D 1 players in the various sports from Midway as well that went there K-12.

It isn't like every good athlete is a transfer in.

TSUBoogie
cowboycwr said:

Flaming Moderate said:

I doubt it. I just don't understand why some people find it hard to believe that Midway can have sports talent. That area is now larger than the attendance zones for the 2 WISD schools. Those household incomes average higher. Many of those families can afford the club teams, personal trainers, etc.

There is a reason (other than athletics) that many Baylor coaches put their kids there.

Midway volleyball had several Division 1 players on it last year. Several of them went to Midway their entire school career.

There have been numerous D 1 players in the various sports from Midway as well that went there K-12.

I agree. Hubert was the only transfer to come during HS who had a huge impact. They got the QB Jordan Darling one year, but Kramer Robertson finished the year at QB when they made it to the State Game against Lake Travis. Ahmad Dixon may have moved there in middle school, and Orion Stewart moved there to start HS.
Assassin
LIB,MR BEARS said:

I don't know what forum it should go on but, we need a centex HS Sports history thread. This area has had some great athletes and great games
done:

https://sicem365.com/forums/2/topics/21333
Flaming Moderate
Flaming Moderate
TSUBoogie said:

cowboycwr said:

Flaming Moderate said:

I agree. Hubert was the only transfer to come during HS who had a huge impact. They got the QB Jordan Darling one year, but Kramer Robertson finished the year at QB when they made it to the State Game against Lake Travis. Ahmad Dixon may have moved there in middle school, and Orion Stewart moved there to start HS.
I agree. Pretty crazy that good athletes would transfer in to start high school.
Robert Wilson
Mart Panthers handled perennial power Stratford 33-13 and will face another perennial power (Refugio, home of Baylor WR and QB Lynx Hawthorne) in the state championship.

Wish both teams could win that game. But they can't. And it will be a great one.
Assassin

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.