Football
Sponsored by

* * Centex HS Sports History Thread!

22,438 Views | 143 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Wrecks Quan Dough
RioRata
How long do you want to ignore this user?
LIB.MR BEAR,

Your sister was JMHS Class of 79, right? That would put her in the same class as Jerry Penney, Mark McDaniel and Ronny Glockzin. Jerry was district sophomore of the year as a pitcher and All-State as a senior. I remember he played baseball at MCC but lost track of him after that.

Mark was good at baseball and earned All-Dristrict while he was there...not sure what happened once he graduated from J-M.

Ronny also earned All-District (maybe All-State too). I know he went to Stanford but I'm not sure if he played baseball there. He would have been there in or around the John Elway period.

Do you have any info about those guys?
LIB,MR BEARS
RioRata said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

RioRata said:

Pat Zachry (Richfield):

http://sabr.org/bioproj/person/c237966a

Quote:

There are few players in the history of professional baseball who have made as strong an impact in their debut season as did Pat Zachry. Through the 2012 campaign, Zachry remains one of only three pitchers to secure Rookie of the Year honors while helping lead his team to a World Championship. Establishing other remarkable precedents during that same 1976 season, Zachry soon became the last-minute component in a trade involving one of the greatest pitchers of all time...Tom Seaver from the Mets.

William's son Wallace, who carved a successful career in sales, settled in Waco, Texas, where his youngest son attended Richfield High School the same prep school that also would produce future major league players Tim Spehr and Todd Haney.

Zachry was fortunate to even be around to attend high school. Early teenage antics resulted in Pat taking a bullet in the abdomen at 14, and he thereafter sought saleague in Florida.ts in sports. A natural draw a number of relatives from both parents' extended families received athletic scholarships through the years Pat drew serious attention from professional scouts after twirling three no-hitters in summer league competition.

I grew up near Pat. We used to hang out at the Jaycee-Kiwanis field on Tennyson and 65th.

Once he turned pro, he and Stan Hough would start getting ready for spring training by throwing in Wallace and Cora's front yard. We were just big-eyed kids watching it all.

Stan is a great guy. He used to work at Lake Air National Bank during the off-season. Mel Hawkins, Andy's dad, was a VP there. After Stan's playing days were over he went on to manage the Rangers rookie league team in Florida.
Stan managed the Ft Worth Cats for several years. If they ever get the league up and running, he will be the manager of the Waco Bluecats.
LIB,MR BEARS
RioRata said:

LIB.MR BEAR,

Your sister was JMHS Class of 79, right? That would put her in the same class as Jerry Penney, Mark McDaniel and Ronny Glockzin. Jerry was district sophomore of the year as a pitcher and All-State as a senior. I remember he played baseball at MCC but lost track of him after that.

Mark was good at baseball and earned All-Dristrict while he was there...not sure what happened once he graduated from J-M.

Ronny also earned All-District (maybe All-State too). I know he went to Stanford but I'm not sure if he played baseball there. He would have been there in or around the John Elway period.

Mark and Jerry have been life-long friends of my sister. Mark is still in the Waco area, Riesel I think.

We lost Jerry to cancer a couple of years back.

I spent a ton of time at Ronny's house during HS. His nickname was Patek, after his shortstop hero Freddie Patek. He did indeed go to Stanford where he was the backup shortstop to Elway. After his sophomore year there, he contemplated transferring to TCU where he could get playing time. On the advice of his dad, he stayed to get the Stanford education.

All three of those guys were on the Little League team managed by Butch Henry. They got 1 game away from playing in Williamsport in the LLWS.
LIB,MR BEARS
One of the best athletes from my day in the Waco area was Scott Horseman (sp). He may have been the best HS pitcher I ever saw but he was in love with basketball. I've no idea what became of him.
Assassin
There was a guy that I played football against that was also really good in track - Roy Shawn Lindsey. Connally HS. Dont remember about accolades but watching a big guy run the hurdles in track was always impressive. Seems to my memory that he took district in the intermediate hurdles
RioRata
LIB,MR BEARS said:

RioRata said:

LIB.MR BEAR,

Mark and Jerry have been life-long friends of my sister. Mark is still in the Waco area, Riesel I think.

We lost Jerry to cancer a couple of years back.

I spent a ton of time at Ronny's house during HS. His nickname was Patek, after his shortstop hero Freddie Patek. He did indeed go to Stanford where he was the backup shortstop to Elway. After his sophomore year there, he contemplated transferring to TCU where he could get playing time. On the advice of his dad, he stayed to get the Stanford education.

All three of those guys were on the Little League team managed by Butch Henry. They got 1 game away from playing in Williamsport in the LLWS.

Is your sister's name Terri, by chance? Terri's best friend (Elizabeth) moved (to Lorena...I think) out of town and was voted Homecoming Queen a a senior at her new school.

So sorry to hear about Jerry...we always got along well. How is Gina doing?
RioRata
Assassin said:

There was a guy that I played football against that was also really good in track - Roy Shawn Lindsey. Connally HS. Dont remember about accolades but watching a big guy run the hurdles in track was always impressive. Seems to my memory that he took district in the intermediate hurdles

I knew a pitcher from Connally named Larry Havard (Class of '75) that signed to pitch for Coach Gus at UT but was drafted very high (3rd round???) and turned pro instead. His cousin (Robert "RT" Turner) and I would cut class to go out there and watch him pitch.
Assassin
RioRata said:

Assassin said:

I knew a pitcher from Connally named Larry Havard (Class of '75) that signed to pitch for Coach Gus at UT but was drafted very high (3rd round???) and turned pro instead. His cousin (Robert "RT" Turner) and I would cut class to go out there and watch him pitch.
Dont know that name. I was down in Kingsville by then. I think Roy Shawn was class of 72 or so
RioRata
Assassin said:

RioRata said:

Assassin said:

Dont know that name. I was down in Kingsville by then. I think Roy Shawn was class of 72 or so

Ahhh, Kingsville. I had three cousins that were born in Robstown. Their family move to San Antonio (have alot of family there) and all three played LB for MacArthur HS.

I met Tommy Kramer when he played for SA Lee...I was just a little crumb snatcher back them. His family attended Castle Hills First Baptist Church.

Another cousin was a JV TE at Churchill when they won State in '76. He gave up football for baseball after that school year.
RioRata
Killeen ISDs entire T&F programs in the 70s and 80s.

Pick a name...any name.

Killeen HS was dominate statewide back then. KHS won state the year before K Ellison opened. Many folks around the the state thought that would end their run but they were wrong. The following season KHS and K Ellison finished 1-2 at the state meet.
RioRata
Scott Podsednik (West Trojans):

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_Podsednik

Quote:

MLB statistics
Batting average .281
Home runs 42
Runs batted in 312
Stolen bases 309
Teams

Seattle Mariners (20012002)
Milwaukee Brewers (20032004)
Chicago White Sox (20052007)
Colorado Rockies (2008)
Chicago White Sox (2009)
Kansas City Royals (2010)
Los Angeles Dodgers (2010)
Boston Red Sox (2012)

Personal life

He was married to Playboy Playmate Lisa Dergan, but divorced in Spring of 2017. The two have twins and lived in Colleyville, Texas. His sister Shana is married to former Texas Rangers baseball player, Kevin Mench.
RioRata
Reggie Vonner (West Trojans):

In Reggie's senior year he rushed for 200+ yards in the State Semi's against Sealy but some kid named Dickerson ran for 300+ yards and the Trojans lost. Vonner went on to play at UofH as a DB (earning All-SWC honors) and then played for the Houston Gamblers.

I think we all know what happened to that Eric Dickerson kid. Yep, he dared Craig James to #cjk5h...allegedly.

http://www.houston-gamblers.com/id78.html

Quote:

Personal: Attended West High School in West, TX... Lettered in football, baseball, basketball and track... Four-year All-District football selection... All-State hoopster as a senior... Enjoys swimming and playing basketball.
RioRata
Arthur Rhodes (LaVega HS):

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Rhodes

Quote:

Teams
Baltimore Orioles (19911999)
Seattle Mariners (20002003)
Oakland Athletics (2004)
Cleveland Indians (2005)
Philadelphia Phillies (2006)
Seattle Mariners (2008)
Florida Marlins (2008)
Cincinnati Reds (20092010)
Texas Rangers (2011)
St. Louis Cardinals (2011)

Career highlights and awards
All-Star (2010)
World Series champion (2011)

Ok, I'll let you Richfield folks post about his brother. For a school that had so many great athletes y'all have been very quite on this thread. II'll toss y'all a name...Dub Kilgo.
Wrecks Quan Dough
I would have to nominate almost anyone who played football in Axtell or Whitney.
Assassin
Carlos Safety said:

I would have to nominate almost anyone who played football in Axtell or Whitney.
Axtell has a football team?
Wrecks Quan Dough
Assassin said:

Carlos Safety said:

At one point, they even contributed a player to one of Grunt's teams. A good guy by the name of Brian Hand.
RioRata
Carlos Safety said:

Assassin said:

Carlos Safety said:

At one point, they even contributed a player to one of Grunt's teams. A good guy by the name of Brian Hand.

Yep...Brian Hand was an All-State WR for them and played LB for Teaff.
RR/BV
The Richfield team with Weedy and Fisher with Alfred was 5-4-1
Alfred's sr year we were 7-3. That is when he was THSPY
RioRata
RR/BV said:

I think Joe Beard (SMU All-Ameican) and Bo Scott Metcalf (Baylor DB) were seniors along with Alfred.

Beard was small for an OG but he had the quickness to get outside to block for Dickerson and James.
RioRata
RR/BV said:

I would have loved to see Weedy play LB here at Baylor along side of Mike, Lester and Thee.
RioRata
Burl Coker (Richfield HS):

Burl was a 1st Team All-American pitcher a had an older brother that was an All-SWC pitcher for the Bears. I never saw Burl pitch for Richfield, that I recall, but you can bet your sweet ass I cut many a class at Jefferson-Moore and walked to Dutton Street park to watch those Bears play.

http://www.wacotrib.com/blogs/bear_blog/baylor-baseball-s-field-of-dreams/article_3274fa8f-3cdc-5ddd-bcf1-b9f29979939e.html

Quote:

Pitcher: Burl Coker (1975-78): Coker is tied (with Steven White) atop BU's all-time wins list at 28, and was the ace of a pair of College World Series clubs. Coker's 1.64 ERA in '78 is BU's best in the aluminum-bat era.
LIB,MR BEARS
RioRata said:

Burl was a 1st Team All-American pitcher a had an older brother that was an All-SWC pitcher for the Bears. I never saw Burl pitch for Richfield, that I recall, but you can bet your sweet ass I cut many a class at Jefferson-Moore and walked to Dutton Street park to watch those Bears play.

http://www.wacotrib.com/blogs/bear_blog/baylor-baseball-s-field-of-dreams/article_3274fa8f-3cdc-5ddd-bcf1-b9f29979939e.html

Quote:

Pitcher: Burl Coker (1975-78): Coker is tied (with Steven White) atop BU's all-time wins list at 28, and was the ace of a pair of College World Series clubs. Coker's 1.64 ERA in '78 is BU's best in the aluminum-bat era.

his younger brother Brad was pretty solid too.
RioRata
LIB,MR BEARS said:

RioRata said:

Quote:

his younger brother Brad was pretty solid too.

Yep:

"Brillo" Brad Coker (Jefferson-Moore):

Brad began his career at JMHS as a pitcher (along with Tim McLane) my junior year. They were two of the three Lions that played for Mickey from my days on the river...Brent "Cheif Wahoo" Lummus.

Brad tossed two no-nos his junior season and then turned his attention to catching as a senior...Jerry Penney and Mark McDaniel were on campus by then. Brad and Tm were both All-State as seniors and both played in the Coache's All-Star Game at the 'dome in Houston.

Mickey offered Brad as a pitcher only so he went to MCC instead. He became a 2 time 1st Team All-American, played in 2 JUCO World Seies being named MVP as a sophomore. Sullivan finally decided that Brad was a catcher.

Brad is the youngest of the three Coker boys that played baseball at Baylor.

Assassin
Anybody know the scoop on Brad Boozer (Boozers Jewelry) - Robinson HS punter, AA at LaTech - nearly made the Eagles but lost the job to Jeff Feagles.

Couldnt find his HS stats
LIB,MR BEARS
The son of Jefferson-Moore's hoops coach and BU alum Jack Schrader used to post on Baylorfans. I let him know about this thread. I know he has some great memories of centex hoops in the 70s and early 80s
Assassin
LIB,MR BEARS said:

The son of Jefferson-Moore's hoops coach and BU alum Jack Schrader used to post on Baylorfans. I let him know about this thread. I know he has some great memories of centex hoops in the 70s and early 80s
that should be good. thx!
RioRata
http://www.wacotrib.com/waco_today_magazine/centex-football-greats-leave-their-mark-in-pros-on-collectible/article_c055dc6e-4a18-58a2-b0ec-f597d408c98d.html

Mr Napier was the WPD liaison to JMHS when I lurked that part of the river. Every WISD campus had a liaison back then but most students didn't know or care about it. He had a son that was a pretty good RB for Old WHS.

Mr Napier must have kept some type of affiliation with the franchise once they became the KC Cheifs because he always wore his Super Bowl ring. Maybe Lamar Hunt didn't want to cut all ties to the state after the move.

Quote:

WALTER NAPIER JR.

(1960-61)

Born in Waco in 1932, Napier was a standout defensive tackle at Waco's Paul Quinn College. He played two seasons with the Dallas Texans of the AFL.

There are more pro players listed in this article that were born in the Waco area.
RioRata
Wow, I didn't know that Coach McLean passed away until now. I always wondered how Mike got the nickname "Merkle". I thought it was a play on his full name of Michael Wayne McLean.

http://www.wacotrib.com/waco_today_magazine/centex-football-greats-leave-their-mark-in-pros-on-collectible/article_c055dc6e-4a18-58a2-b0ec-f597d408c98d.html

Quote:

Wayne was born August 25, 1931, in the little town of Merkel, TX, to the late Vance McLean and Gladys Garner.

RIP coach.
LIB,MR BEARS
Napier was one big dude. Very nice and VERY intimidating
RioRata
Larry Davis (Jefferson-Moore):

Larry won the Gold Medal in the 880 at the state meet his senior year in '76. Larry was also an ordained minister during his HS days. He ran the 800 for Coach Hart at Baylor.
RioRata
Willie "DeeDah" Vail (Jefferson-Moore):

6'5" 310lbs

Willie won the Shot Put at every meet he entered as a senior in '75. DeeDah had the flu at the state meet and produced his worst toss of the season and still brought home the Gold.

Willie could hit a baseball a country mile. One day before practice and everyone was clowning. I don't think Mike Williams was throwing his best stuff but Willie hit one off of him that landed halfway up a huge oak tree that lined the sidewalk on 4th Street. Coach Montemayor looked at us and said "my God, that tree has to be 500' away". The next day Gilbert and Coach Johnston measured from home plate to that tree...it was 520+ feet away.

Willie played football and tossed iron at Prarie View.
RioRata
RealLarryDon said:

The single greatest athlete to ever come out of CenTex was Ahmad Dixon.

Subjective, to say the least, but Dixon might be in the conversation.

I'll see your Dixon (Curtis Dickey) and raise you Frank Pollard. Warning though...I have Boody Johnson in the hole.
LIB,MR BEARS
RioRata said:

RealLarryDon said:

The single greatest athlete to ever come out of CenTex was Ahmad Dixon.

Subjective, to say the least, but Dixon might be in the conversation.

I'll see your Dixon (Curtis Dickey) and raise you Frank Pollard. Warning though...I have Boody Johnson in the hole.
Thats going way way back to get Boody Johnson

His widow was a 4th grade teacher at Parkdale in the late 60's and early 70's.
LIB,MR BEARS
How about Lee Miles from Mart HS? He was a shortstop, stud football player and Jr Olympian. He played for the Bears and loved to stick it to the aggies.
BearlyConscious
RR/BV said:

Alfred Anderson Waco Richfield/Baylor
1979 Texas High School Player of the year
Baylor All time leading scorer
1984 Sporting News NFC Rookie of the year
Alfred was a complete stud at Richfield. He was a few years ahead of me there, but I watched him play throughout his high school career. One of the really great guys off the field too.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.