Football
Sponsored by

* * Centex HS Sports History Thread!

22,426 Views | 143 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Wrecks Quan Dough
Assassin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BearlyConscious said:

RR/BV said:

Alfred Anderson Waco Richfield/Baylor
1979 Texas High School Player of the year
Baylor All time leading scorer
1984 Sporting News NFC Rookie of the year
Alfred was a complete stud at Richfield. He was a few years ahead of me there, but I watched him play throughout his high school career. One of the really great guys off the field too.
Yes he was. A beast at Richfield
Wrecks Quan Dough
LIB,MR BEARS said:

How about Lee Miles from Mart HS? He was a shortstop, stud football player and Jr Olympian. He played for the Bears and loved to stick it to the aggies.
Long jumper and sprinter; Gold medal in 4x100; 100m; and long jump his senior year at MHS; I think he still has the #2 or #3 all time long jump at Baylor behind Danny Brabham.
LIB,MR BEARS
Carlos Safety said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

How about Lee Miles from Mart HS? He was a shortstop, stud football player and Jr Olympian. He played for the Bears and loved to stick it to the aggies.
Long jumper and sprinter; Gold medal in 4x100; 100m; and long jump his senior year at MHS; I think he still has the #2 or #3 all time long jump at Baylor behind Danny Brabham.
Lee has a sin playing baseball at Midway. Supposed to be awfully good
Assassin
LIB,MR BEARS said:

Carlos Safety said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Is sin at Midway a good thing these days? Got me booted out... ;^)
LIB,MR BEARS
I don't want to judge Lee and what his sin may be. However, I think colleges are judging his SON on his baseball skills.
RioRata
LIB,MR BEARS said:

I don't want to judge Lee and what his sin may be. However, I think colleges are judging his SON on his baseball skills.

Probably just a fielding error.
RioRata
Assassin said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Carlos Safety said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Is sin at Midway a good thing these days? Got me booted out... ;^)

{old man yells at clouds}

Get a haircut sonny!

{old man yells at clouds}
RioRata
LIB,MR BEARS said:

RioRata said:

LIB.MR BEAR,

Your sister was JMHS Class of 79, right? That would put her in the same class as Jerry Penney, Mark McDaniel and Ronny Glockzin. Jerry was district sophomore of the year as a pitcher and All-State as a senior. I remember he played baseball at MCC but lost track of him after that.

Mark was good at baseball and earned All-Dristrict while he was there...not sure what happened once he graduated from J-M.

Ronny also earned All-District (maybe All-State too). I know he went to Stanford but I'm not sure if he played baseball there. He would have been there in or around the John Elway period.

Do you have any info about those guys?
Mark and Jerry have been life-long friends of my sister. Mark is still in the Waco area, Riesel I think.

We lost Jerry to cancer a couple of years back.

I spent a ton of time at Ronny's house during HS. His nickname was Patek, after his shortstop hero Freddie Patek. He did indeed go to Stanford where he was the backup shortstop to Elway. After his sophomore year there, he contemplated transferring to TCU where he could get playing time. On the advice of his dad, he stayed to get the Stanford education.

All three of those guys were on the Little League team managed by Butch Henry. They got 1 game away from playing in Williamsport in the LLWS.

1965 Northern LIttle League finished 3rd at Williamsport. Carlton Kilgo was the manager.

http://www.littleleague.org/series/history/rosters/1965rstr.htm

Northern Little League Waco Texas
US South

Bradburn Michael
Clark Thom
Clifton Larry
Hunt Timothy
Kilgo Walter (Dub)
Kilgo Carlton
Kimbrough Ronald
Kruger Mark
Lummus Larry
Nemmer John
Roberts Dennis (Maurice)
Scott, Jr. Donald Eugene
Sherman, Jr. Charles (Eddie)
Snider Donald
Snider Buddy
Weaver James
Williams Larry

* I corrected the names in bold. These are the names that most people wil know them by. I think Bradburn went by Shelby but not 100% sure...could have been one of his brothers.

Tom Clark was 6' tall at the time and when they got to Florida (South Regionals) Tom's dad had to fly back to Waco and retrieve his birth certificate and other documentation proving he was only 12 years old. He was so intimidating as a pitcher many kids just dropped their bats and bailed out of the box when he released the pitch.

Life was good back then. Cameron Park was a great place for a kid to run wild. I knew every nook and cranny of that park. That park help to smooth the transition of being bussed to Jefferson-Moore...skipped many a class to spend time there AND it was the shortcut to visit friends at 19th Street Waco High.

That Northern team should have won the whole thing but Carlton made a huge managing error in selecting the starter against the Arizona team.

Here's a nostalgic look back at Northern LL from texags:

https://texags.com/forums/45/topics/2318922

Assassin
Dutch Meyer - old school grad from the old Waco High, circa 1916. He played on several of Paul Tyson's first teams for the Tigers, then to TCU, where he lettered in football, basketball and baseball.

He coached TCU in football from 1934-52, compiling a record of 109-79-13 and winning national championships in 1935 and '38.

Waco ISD Hall of Fame 2015
RioRata
Assassin said:

Dutch Meyer - old school grad from the old Waco High, circa 1916. He played on several of Paul Tyson's first teams for the Tigers, then to TCU, where he lettered in football, basketball and baseball.

He coached TCU in football from 1934-52, compiling a record of 109-79-13 and winning national championships in 1935 and '38.

Waco ISD Hall of Fame 2015

http://www.wacotrib.com/sports/high_schools/central_texas_football/dave-campbell-recalling-waco-high-s-glory-years-under-paul/article_e9fd4a16-2570-5748-8cef-b244a0ff9ede.html

Quote:

On the day Tyson was inducted into the Texas Sports Hall of Fame (along with baseball's Rogers Hornsby and golf's Byron Nelson), one of Tyson's former Tiger standouts, TCU coach Dutch Meyer, presented the induction plaque.

"He was a great man and one of the greatest, if not the greatest, coaches of his era," Meyer said.

Witnesses said Meyer was sobbing as he made the presentation.
cowboycwr
One that I haven't seen mentioned and may not be as well know.

Clint Dolezel. Robinson HS. Went to East TX State and had a long career in the AFL. He held or still holds several arena football records, won a couple of championships in the AFL. He also won one as a coach and is coaches in China in their AFL and has won a title there also.
WacoKelly83
This is a fun thread . This is not someone who went on to bigger things but was the definition of unrealized potential. Steve Willis from Connally High, class of 78. One of fastest quarter-milers I have ever seen. I watched him destroy everyone he raced -Johnny Lam, Mike Fisher from Gatesville , among others - but he had more than a few screws loose. He was a notorious bad boy that smoked weed like it was nothing, hated authority, and was half crazy. But man could he fly. Went to TAMU and lasted one year. Got kicked out for fighting with a group of football players. Ended up at Blinn. After that I heard he ended up behind bars.
His mother worked in my dad's building on campus and would ask him for help and guidance in dealing with him. Clyde really wanted him but no way was he going to put up with his attitude.
RioRata
WacoKelly83 said:

This is a fun thread . This is not someone who went on to bigger things but was the definition of unrealized potential. Steve Willis from Connally High, class of 78. One of fastest quarter-milers I have ever seen. I watched him destroy everyone he raced -Johnny Lam, Mike Fisher from Gatesville , among others - but he had more than a few screws loose. He was a notorious bad boy that smoked weed like it was nothing, hated authority, and was half crazy. But man could he fly. Went to TAMU and lasted one year. Got kicked out for fighting with a group of football players. Ended up at Blinn. After that I heard he ended up behind bars.
His mother worked in my dad's building on campus and would ask him for help and guidance in dealing with him. Clyde really wanted him but no way was he going to put up with his attitude.

WacoKelly,

By oft chance, did your mother work in Addmissions at Baylor? Are your grandparents from West?

I remember you posting on BFs and often wondered about the questions I'm asking. Do you have an older brother named Brian?
RioRata
cowboycwr said:

Clint Dolezel. Robinson HS. Went to East TX State and had a long career in the AFL. He held or still holds several arena football records, won a couple of championships in the AFL. He also won one as a coach and is coaches in China in their AFL and has won a title there also.

The name sounds very familiar but I can't place a face. Did his parents work at Owens-Illinois glass plant?

Edit: Now that I think about it, was his father a Principle in the Waco area?
WacoKelly83
Nope. Dad taught religion for forty years at BU and brother is Jeff. Pm if you want more info.
cowboycwr
RioRata said:

cowboycwr said:

The name sounds very familiar but I can't place a face. Did his parents work at Owens-Illinois glass plant?

Edit: Now that I think about it, was his father a Principle in the Waco area?

I'm not sure about either of those.

I do know his brother teaches and coaches in the local area.
Assassin
cowboycwr said:

I had to look him up - the name sounded familar. He tore the AFL up

Comp. / Att.: 3,749 / 5,698
Passing yards: 44,564
TD-INT: 931155
Passer rating: 117.75
Rushing touchdowns: 41
On Facebook at Memories of...
Dallas, Dallas Public, Texas, Texas Football, Texas Basketball, Texas Music, Memories From a Texas Window. Come see us!
RioRata
COTTON DAVIDSON

(1954, 1957, 1960-66, 1968)

Born in Gatesville in 1931, Davidson liked his nickname "Cotton" for his white hair better than his given name of Francis Marion. He was a star quarterback at Baylor and was drafted by the Baltimore Colts with the fifth overall pick in 1954. He was mostly a punter with the Colts because of the emergence of Johnny Unitas. A shoulder injury and time in the Canadian Football League kept him out occasionally, but he spent three years at quarterback with the Dallas Texans of the AFL and six years with the Oakland Raiders. He was a Baylor assistant coach for 22 years and is retired on his Gatesville ranch.
Assassin
BOYNTON, BEN LEE
WACO
1914-15

A passer ahead of his time, Boynton was the first Texas high school football player to earn all-America status in college. Boynton led Waco High to the "unofficial" state championship game (the UIL hadn't been formed yet) in 1915, where the Tigers played Fort Worth North Side to a 6-6 tie. Boynton was a triple threat on the gridiron, excelling as a runner and a drop-kicker in addition to his terrific passing skills. After high school, Boynton migrated to Williams College in Wiliamstown, Mass., where he was named an all-American as a freshman. In his sophomore year in 1917, Boynton directed Williams to an unbeaten season. After serving overseas in World War I in 1918, Boynton returned to Williams with a bang. He was named all-American for the second time in the '19 season, and led the national in scoring in 1920 with 141 points. He also tied the collegiate record with a 110-yard touchdown return of a missed field goal attempt. After college, Boynton played four years of pro football and later helped organize the Southwest Football Officials Association. He was inducted into the National Football Hall of Fame in 1963.
Dallas, Dallas Public, Texas, Texas Football, Texas Basketball, Texas Music, Memories From a Texas Window. Come see us!
RioRata
Assassin said:

BOYNTON, BEN LEE
WACO
1914-15

A passer ahead of his time, Boynton was the first Texas high school football player to earn all-America status in college. Boynton led Waco High to the "unofficial" state championship game (the UIL hadn't been formed yet) in 1915, where the Tigers played Fort Worth North Side to a 6-6 tie. Boynton was a triple threat on the gridiron, excelling as a runner and a drop-kicker in addition to his terrific passing skills. After high school, Boynton migrated to Williams College in Wiliamstown, Mass., where he was named an all-American as a freshman. In his sophomore year in 1917, Boynton directed Williams to an unbeaten season. After serving overseas in World War I in 1918, Boynton returned to Williams with a bang. He was named all-American for the second time in the '19 season, and led the national in scoring in 1920 with 141 points. He also tied the collegiate record with a 110-yard touchdown return of a missed field goal attempt. After college, Boynton played four years of pro football and later helped organize the Southwest Football Officials Association. He was inducted into the National Football Hall of Fame in 1963.

Great. Another Waco kid our Bears missed out on.
Assassin
RioRata said:

Assassin said:

Great. Another Waco kid our Bears missed out on.
yea but lets be realistic. It is Williams College that we were going up against...
RR/BV
Howard Fields was a very good CB for Baylor in mid 70's. He had a little brother named Prince Fields. 5'10 in 7th grade and could 360 dunk a basketball. As a freshman at Killeen Ellison he was state ranked top 5 in 100 meters.
Ended up being shot and killed
RioRata
RR/BV said:

Howard Fields was a very good CB for Baylor in mid 70's. He had a little brother named Prince Fields. 5'10 in 7th grade and could 360 dunk a basketball. As a freshman at Killeen Ellison he was state ranked top 5 in 100 meters.

I remember the Fields brothers. Sad story about Prince.
BaylorProud77
This is a very interesting thread. I like it.
Assassin
RR/BV said:

is this Prince? http://www.tdtnews.com/archive/article_73b38c0d-8c91-5653-9794-72f478f0f5af.html
RioRata
BaylorProud77 said:

This is a very interesting thread. I like it.

Rather refreshing for the football forum, no?
DaveyBear
Johnny Jones and Curtis Dickey are the two best athletes I have ever seen.

Dickey was flat out terrorizing, Lam was lazy as hell but could flat out burn anyone.
saabing bear
In 1979 I was living in Temple and came up to Baylor Stadium to see the Wildcats win the state 4-A (highest level at that time) football championship against Houston Memorial 28 - 6. Led by Kenneth Davis at running back.
DaveyBear
KD, was a two way player back then. Ended my lone game as a varsity player in 1979. He cracked 3 of my ribs my sophomore year at Anderson HS.

I was not missed, but the loss still haunts us. Tried to play one more game that fall, I was trashed.

Hello Baseballl!!!!

FYI, KD's dad was a terrific guy. Dont know if he still around.
Robert Wilson
Wasn't KD from Bartlett?
BaylorProud77
I'll say! Assassin always finds such great stuff
Yogi

John Henry definitely deserves mention. He was Whataburger POTY in 1989. Now, that's some great company.

That said, let me tell you a little more about John. John was primarily known for his prowess as a running back in Lorena's T-Veer offense, but he was equally vicious as the leader and Sam Linebacker on Lorena's defense from 1987 to 1989. In fact, his impact on the 1987 team came more from his defensive dominance than his offensive input (he shared tailback duties with Derek Clark that season). The video of Henry is amazing at linebacker. He could read plays exceptionally well and would be in the backfield before the QB could even hand off the football.

Henry also had an incredible work ethic. He led summer and off-season workouts at Lorena's weight room. He was the first on the practice field at Lorena and the last one off. Henry always led conditioning drills and was the team leader on those Lorena High School teams in the late 1980's. He was always the first to finish conditioning drills and he even did tires with the rest of us after practice even when he wasn't obligated to do so.

I have so much respect for that man because of what he did on the field, in the classroom and outside the school. He was cool to you no matter what, much like his wonderful parents - and still is.

No one will ever truly appreciate what John was able to capture at Lorena. They forget that prior to 1986, the Leopards hadn't had a winning season or playoff birth since 1968. They forget that when John Crawford arrived at Lorena, Evans Field didn't have a blade of grass on it and Lorena didn't have a practice field. Until John was a Junior at Lorena, Lorena didn't even have a track facility. The kids used to run around a baron pasture near the old football stadium that the coaches used to line with chalk.

John Henry deserves to be in the Texas High School Football Hall of Fame for a whole bunch of good reasons. He is a terrific story, and Lorena would not own a State Championship football trophy it is wasn't for Henry. He excelled at everything he did at Lorena, including almost taking the basketball and baseball teams to State while he was at Lorena, as well.

He will always be a legend at Lorena and an inspiration in my heart, and I just wish so many people could know John the way I know him.

"Smarter than the Average Bear."
Robert Wilson
Somebody oughta write up Bradford Lewis, too.

He and John Henry were a couple of sledgehammers in the Baylor backfield.
Assassin
BaylorProud77 said:

I'll say! Assassin always finds such great stuff
love this stuff!
RR/BV
Zeke Jefferson Richfield, Baylor

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.