Football
Sponsored by

Ravens sign RGIII to 1 year deal

13,698 Views | 93 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by MilliVanilli
Feel The Floyd
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Glad to see Rob back in the league. Has to beat out a kid named Josh Woodrum from Liberty for 2nd on the depth chart.

Man Liberty and Baylor have some kind of weird connection.
bearlyafarmer
hodedofome said:

Well this would be the most functional organization he's been a part of, so let's see if he looks better while playing on a 'real' team.
So you're suggesting he might have an actual OL?
bearlyafarmer
ZatchZell said:

Awesome, while it looks like most of this site has turned their backs on Rob, i'm forever grateful for his hand in putting Baylor on the map.
See, here's how it works. Unless you turn your back on RGIII, you're opening the door to maybe believing CAB was the greatest in Baylor history. Does not jibe with the Official Story.

I hope RGIII proves all the doubters wrong.
ArlingtonFarm Fingercuffs
Robert Griffin III was the most impactful player in Baylor football history and Art Briles was the best coach in Baylor football history.
ColomboLQ
Grumpy said:

I'm not trying to be a jerk about this. I just wonder why it was reported in December that RG3 had turned down Baltimore only to accept a contract now. Was it all about $ or did Rob have concerns about the team itself?
I think his priorities and expectations changed when it came to being an NFL QB. I don't think he's as gung ho on being guaranteed a (starting) job as he used to be.
Media Bear
EvilTroyAndAbed said:

marco said:

Grizz Air said:

PS: It is insane to think that his old backup (Cousins) is now making nearly $90 mil on a 3 year deal. Who saw that one coming?
WAC did! He thought the 4th round pick was going to be special and always referred to him as "the value pick". I'll let him toot his own horn on this one though, you know he wants to.
I don't know how special he is. He's a top 20 QB who played his cards right contractually, and now he's on a team with weapons on offense and a good defense. Special quarterbacks take teams like last year's Skins to the playoffs.

He's serviceable. Can serviceable win a Super Bowl? Of course, especially on a team like the Vikes.
In the NFL, it's way better to be serviceable and on a good team than good/great and on an awful team. Just ask Andrew Luck about that.

That said, Cousins is better than serviceable. He just needs to show more consistency ...
hodedofome
We really don't know RG3's current potential because the two teams he's played for are possibly the worst run teams in the NFL.

We saw his potential his rookie season, but it's been all down hill ever since. It's possible the teams he played for killed his motivation to be the best. Barry Sanders was possibly the best to ever play his position but eventually he retired early because he couldn't take the culture of the Lions any longer.

Maybe some good surroundings will change Griffin's mind (and body) for the better. Having a functional OL is a good start.
smp13
HuMcK said:

Good for him. Flacco sucks so RG is almost certain to get playing time, hopefully he shows out when the opportunity comes and is able to stay healthy.
92-62 isn't a bad W L
Stranger

Bleacher Report thinks Griffin was a bad move

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2768386-rg3-to-ravens-completes-the-nfls-dumbest-offseason-of-qb-signings

RG3 to Ravens Completes the NFL's Dumbest Offseason of QB Signings
MIKE FREEMAN
APRIL 4, 2018

CLEVELAND, OH - DECEMBER 24: Robert Griffin III #10 of the Cleveland Browns is helped off the field by medical staff after being sacked in the fourth quarter against the San Diego Chargers at FirstEnergy Stadium on December 24, 2016 in Cleveland, Ohio. (Photo by Wesley Hitt/Getty Images)
Wesley Hitt/Getty Images
There have been a number of stunning moves in the NFL this offseason. But one of the most ridiculous, absurd and dubious is the Baltimore Ravens' signing of a broken-down, busted-up player whose knees are in the Smithsonian, who was out of football last year and who was cut by the Cleveland Browns.

The Ravens announced Wednesday they recently worked out Robert Griffin III and will sign him to a one-year deal next week. Thus, the quarterback circus continues.

Griffin is yet another example of how the league, and teams, continue to embarrass themselves by not signing a certain player to prove a point. You know who that player is. You may have even seen him on a magazine cover.

It's incredibly bizarre. Teams are, in a manner, going out of their way to get worse. How else do they explain not signing you-know-who...

...instead of God-knows-what?

And don't say it's because he filed a collusion claim against the NFL. It was this way last offseason. In fact, the fastest way to end any claim of collusion is for a team to sign him. More on all of this in a moment.

There was a time when Griffin was NFL royalty. Six years ago, he was the Offensive Rookie of the Year and became one of the most electric players of the past 20 seasons.

Then he shredded his knee in the 2012 playoffs and was never the same. The Browns cut him in March 2017, and last season he was out of football.

Griffin is a cautionary tale through no fault of his own. His career exemplifies how fleeting success in football can be. One minute you're a star, and the next, a busted knee or a broken bone or a head injury can instantly change everything.

Griffin exemplifies something else as well. The conga line of terrible, awful QBs who are getting second, third and 20th chances.

The one talented passer who's not being signed is a former Super Bowl quarterback whose name rhymes with Wolin Waepernick. He's still available, and no team has come close to signing him.

We've been down this well-traveled road before, so I won't keep phasering a dead horse, but the Ravens are yet another example of a team, and league, that's spiting itself to make a stupid point.

Baltimore quarterback Joe Flacco is at the end of his career. He is, at best, an average player. Wish I was wrong since he's meant so much to that city and team, but it's true.

The Ravens are putting more weapons around Flacco, but he will always be the quarterback who was once very good but has slipped to very mediocre.

Baltimore can still add a quarterback through the draft, but the chances a rookie thrower will be a viable replacement for Flacco next year if he's hurt, or implodes, are slim.

That leaves Griffin. Again, let's emphasize this point: Griffin didn't play a down last season. This offseason, Brock Osweiler, Brandon Weeden and now Matt Cassel were signed before him.

Robert Griffin III has yet to recapture the promise of his rookie season ever since he injured his knee in 2012.
Robert Griffin III has yet to recapture the promise of his rookie season ever since he injured his knee in 2012.Don Wright/Associated Press
How bad does a player have to be when Osweiler and Weeden and Cassel get on rosters first?

The NFL has become the land of second chances for quarterbacks (except one guy). Several teams continue to tell me they think it's only a matter of time before an NFL franchise signs Johnny Manziel, the disgraced quarterback who on The Dan Patrick Show on Wednesday said something absolutely staggering.

"If Cleveland did any of their homework, they would have known I wasn't a guy who came in every day and watch film," he said. "I wasn't a guy who really knew the X's and O's of football."

Think about that quote for a second.

The Ravens, meanwhile, seem extremely happy about signing a guy who can no longer pass or run well.

"Confident guy. We felt like we needed a No. 2 quarterback," coach John Harbaugh told reporters. "I feel like we got a steal. I felt like he really wanted to be here, be a Raven."

A steal?

We are truly in NFL bizarro world.

Mike Freeman covers the NFL for Bleacher Report. Follow him on Twitter: @mikefreemanNFL.
COMMENTS

Will RGIII Ever Throw Another Pass?

I'm a Bearbacker
HuMcK
smp13 said:

HuMcK said:

Good for him. Flacco sucks so RG is almost certain to get playing time, hopefully he shows out when the opportunity comes and is able to stay healthy.
92-62 isn't a bad W L

Only 22-26 the last 3yrs though, 52 TD with 40 Int in that same span, and Flacco makes a lot of money.
Chanceux
Stranger said:

I read that guy's story the other day. He's just got a chub for Kap because of the politics involved. Obviously the Ravens saw something they liked.
marco
Chanceux said:

Stranger said:

I read that guy's story the other day. He's just got a chub for Kap because of the politics involved. Obviously the Ravens saw something they liked.
Yeah, that story was about Kap, not so much Rob. I wish Rob all the best BUT I never thought he'd last as an NFL QB once he left Baylor. I want to see him succeed but then I see pictures of him on the field and them skinny ass legs... He just ain't got the build. I hope he proves me wrong though and plays for another 5 years. His play in college put Baylor on the map and that can never be discounted.
Bona Fide Bear
Grumpy said:

I'm not trying to be a jerk about this. I just wonder why it was reported in December that RG3 had turned down Baltimore only to accept a contract now. Was it all about $ or did Rob have concerns about the team itself?
Maybe the deal in December was only for the rest of that season and maybe he see a benefit to signing a 1 year deal with the offseason to acclimate to the Ravens system.
JETHRO
I am optimistic about this. One advantage of being out of football last year is RGIII rested a body that was abused from bad protection at lousy franchises. He will show up fresh, have the luxury of letting Flacco carry the load while he adapts to the new team, and position himself for an opportunity. He also gets his 5th year in the league that I believe might give him some sort of pension. 5 years in the NFL is an accomplishment for anyone due to the wear and tear.

I hope for an opportunity for him. If he got to succeed on the field, it would be rich considering Baltimore's proximity to D.C. He can work the politics angle again if that suits him.

Baltimore is a solid franchise with a loyal fanbase. Best of luck to him.
cowboycwr
JETHRO said:

I am optimistic about this. One advantage of being out of football last year is RGIII rested a body that was abused from bad protection at lousy franchises. He will show up fresh, have the luxury of letting Flacco carry the load while he adapts to the new team, and position himself for an opportunity. He also gets his 5th year in the league that I believe might give him some sort of pension. 5 years in the NFL is an accomplishment for anyone due to the wear and tear.

I hope for an opportunity for him. If he got to succeed on the field, it would be rich considering Baltimore's proximity to D.C. He can work the politics angle again if that suits him.

Baltimore is a solid franchise with a loyal fanbase. Best of luck to him.
a 5th year is not a bad thing when many sites, news organizations etc say the average career is a little over 3 years (the NFL says it is higher).

As to the pension this site says it kicks in after year 3

https://firstquarterfinance.com/nfl-pension-plan-retirement-plan/
Doc Holliday
Seems to be a lot of crap out there about the Ravens signing RG3 over Krapernick.

RG3 is better than Kaep. His best season puts Kaep's to shame. Kaep never had a pro bowl worthy season, ever.
I'm tired of hearing just how great of a player he is, what was he great as? Burning the Packers with his rushing yards? He's never thrown over 4K yards or eclipsed 30+ touchdowns yet people act like he is some elite quarterback. His very best season he completed 58% of his passes and threw for 3100 yds and rushed for 400 yds, 21 TDS and 8 interceptions and 9 fumbles. Yet he's SUCH a stud QB right?

RG3 completed 65% of his passes, threw 20 TDS and 5 interceptions, threw for 3200 yds and rushed for 800 yds. Thats why they chose RG3 and not Kaep.

Kaep turned down Seahawks, the Jets and the Broncos because he wants to be paid what he's "worth" and he wants to start and refuses to be a back up. Yet the league has some how black balled him. This whole thing is hysterical.
ColomboLQ
Doc Holliday said:

Seems to be a lot of crap out there about the Ravens signing RG3 over Krapernick.

RG3 is better than Kaep. His best season puts Kaep's to shame. Kaep never had a pro bowl worthy season, ever.
I'm tired of hearing just how great of a player he is, what was he great as? Burning the Packers with his rushing yards? He's never thrown over 4K yards or eclipsed 30+ touchdowns yet people act like he is some elite quarterback. His very best season he completed 58% of his passes and threw for 3100 yds and rushed for 400 yds, 21 TDS and 8 interceptions and 9 fumbles. Yet he's SUCH a stud QB right?

RG3 completed 65% of his passes, threw 20 TDS and 5 interceptions, threw for 3200 yds and rushed for 800 yds. Thats why they chose RG3 and not Kaep.

Kaep turned down Seahawks, the Jets and the Broncos because he wants to be paid what he's "worth" and he wants to start and refuses to be a back up. Yet the league has some how black balled him. This whole thing is hysterical.
I have not seen or heard of this before. Have a link?
cowboycwr
ColomboLQ said:

Doc Holliday said:

I have not seen or heard of this before. Have a link?
http://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/nfl/seattle-seahawks/seahawks-insider-blog/article154162614.html

Dia del DougO
Stranger said:

Griffin is yet another example of how the league, and teams, continue to embarrass themselves by not signing a certain player to prove a point. You know who that player is. You may have even seen him on a magazine cover.

LOL

"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
Mst
Kaepernick Isn't doing himself any favors.

william
time to start melon loading!

a votre sante, bobby!!

- Loaded

{ sipping coffee }

{ eating donut }
la1037
Doc Holliday said:

Good Post. RGIII has had bad luck with injuries but has the potential to be a good QB - no one really knows. Its hard to know because he hasn't had a legitimate shot since his rookie season. Kaepernick has proven to be average to bad so there is no real upside in addition to being a pain in the arse for any organization.

Plus Kaepernick might be the only QB with worse hair than RGIII. You would have to pay extra for larger helmets.

"We are unaware of any situation where you personally had contact with anyone who directly reported to you being the victim of sexual assault or that you directly discouraged the victim of an alleged sexual assault from reporting to law enforcement or university officials. Nor are we aware of any situation where you played a student athlete who had been found responsible for sexual assault.”
- Chris Holmes, Baylor General Counsel
boognish_bear
xiledinok
New wife put a bounce in his step.
He can have a 25 passer rating for one game in a backup role and still get a check.
trey3216
Lot of rumors running that the Ravens may also draft Lamar Jackson if he's there. That'd be a shot to the gut
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
Mst
Best of luck Robert!

boognish_bear
Chanceux
Two weeks ago some guy was on here talking about Griffin not hitting rock bottom yet. Is getting a million dollars to be a backup rock bottom?

If so somebody needs to show me the path down.
Bro
la1037 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Good Post. RGIII has had bad luck with injuries but has the potential to be a good QB - no one really knows. Its hard to know because he hasn't had a legitimate shot since his rookie season. Kaepernick has proven to be average to bad so there is no real upside in addition to being a pain in the arse for any organization.

Plus Kaepernick might be the only QB with worse hair than RGIII. You would have to pay extra for larger helmets.

Hey! He got a haircut! Praise the Lord! He got a haircut! And he looks 10,000% better. At least IMHO.

marco
Doc Holliday said:

Kaepernick may come with some baggage and may only be a serviceable 2nd stringer on a lot of teams at this point but he brings one ability that Rob hasn't demonstrated in quite a while and that's availability. Rob got paid big money up front on his contract and never was able to deliver. Kaep played his way into a good contract before it went south. He's not great but over the last few years he's shown more that teams are looking for than RG3 has. It's a what have you done lately world.
Mitch Blood Green
Mst said:

He could have worn Hugo Boss. It wouldn't have mattered.
Doc Holliday
tommie said:

Mst said:

His shirt screams "I hate white people".
"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." ~ John Adams
EvilTroyAndAbed
Doc Holliday said:

I love RG3. But no. Kaep made a Super Bowl and was a play away from another. He may not be what he was, but his best was better than RG3's best at the pro level.
Mitch Blood Green
Doc Holliday said:

tommie said:

Mst said:

Make sure you let him parents know how he feels.

In my experience, the only people screaming "I hate white people" are the people screaming "I hate who're people".
Doc Holliday
tommie said:

Doc Holliday said:

tommie said:

Mst said:

Make sure you let him parents know how he feels.

In my experience, the only people screaming "I hate white people" are the people screaming "I hate who're people".
How about this shirt?
"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." ~ John Adams
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.