Football
Sponsored by

Now to see what the Matt Rhule era at Baylor actually looks like

34,636 Views | 228 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by SATXBear
Doc Holliday
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2018/6/5/17410532/baylor-football-2018-preview-schedule-roster

Year Zero

a season in which the head coach is new and cannot immediately craft a lineup suited to winning games; it will end up regarded as a season with an artificially low win total and one that should not be used to negatively evaluate the coach

By the end of Baylor's 2017, head coach Matt Rhule was giving regular snaps to about 11 guys he had signed as freshmen the previous February. Another 14 contributors or so had contributed few to no statistics the year before, as well.

I talk about Year Zero situations at least a few times per year in my offseason preview series, and with good reason each year, there are a few clear situations that fit the bill. (UConn, for instance.) Sometimes a coach takes over a team with little hope of winning games, no matter what. Sometimes there's such a dramatic shift in style that he requires quite a bit of depth chart rearranging, plus time to sign his own guys.

It happens. But it's rarely this stark.

If you watched a Baylor game last year, it was like watching a team of replacement players during an NFL strike. You became that fan from Major League, asking "Who are these ******* guys?"

• Freshman Charlie Brewer ended up throwing the most passes.
  • Freshman running back John Lovett had the most carries.
  • Sophomores Denzel Mims and Tony Nicholson, who had combined for four career receptions heading into 2017, caught the most passes.
  • Of 60 offensive line starts, 35 went to guys who had never started a game before 2017.
  • Rush end Brian Nance (7.5 tackles in 2015, missed 2016 with grade issues) led defensive linemen in tackles.
  • Freshman Jalen Pitre started at strongside linebacker. Sophomores Eric Ogor (3.5 career tackles) and Henry Black (zero) saw quite a few snaps as well.
  • Freshman Harrison Hand led the secondary in tackles, and Verkedric Vaughns (14 tackles in 2016), Jameson Houston (14), Chris Miller (five), Rajah Preciado (4.5), Blake Lynch (zero), Jairon McVea (zero), Timarcus Davis (freshman), and Taion Sells (missed 2016) all saw rotation time.
This was a controlled burn of a depth chart if ever one existed.

We know why, of course. Rhule inherited a program that was dealing with a massive sexual assault problem and coming off of a season with an interim coach. Plenty of guys had already left, and plenty more were about to.

Rhule had about a month to put together a recruiting class from scratch in the winter of 2016-17, and he managed a top-40 class. His first full-year recruiting effort produced a top-30 class. This was impressive.
Now come the potential fruits of a year and a half of extreme labor. After winning just one game in 2017, Rhule's Bears could be favored in five of their first six this fall. They return most of their passing, rushing, and receiving yards, 82 career offensive line starts, all but one primary defensive lineman, all but two linebackers, and all but two defensive backs.

S&P+ likes Baylor to go about 6-6 this year, though this isn't a situation in which S&P+ is built to have an accurate read your program's five-year history is taken into account, and Rhule made it clear last year that there was little from before 2017 that he was interested in advancing.

Offense

The good news: for a freshman, Brewer was strangely awesome on third-and-long. He was 19-for-25 for 216 yards, three TDs, and two interceptions on third-and-7 or longer (passer rating: 172.2), which is about as good as you'll see outside of elite QBs.

The bad news: Baylor's run game was so awful that there were too many third-and-longs.

Brewer took over for injured sophomore Zach Smith (who had himself taken over for graduate transfer Anu Solomon) in late-October. He threw two fourth-quarter touchdown passes in a mad comeback against WVU that saw the Bears turn a 38-13 deficit into a 38-36 last-second defeat. He torched Kansas in the team's only win, and he finished with a 68 percent completion rate and 146.3 passer rating. That's damn strong.

Smith transferred to Tulsa to play for former Art Briles assistant Philip Montgomery, so Brewer who hails from Lake Travis, Tex., just like Baker Mayfield and countless other successful college football QBs heads into his sophomore season as the main man; he'll be backed up by four-star freshman Gerry Bohannon and NC State grad transfer Jalan McClendon, a big dude (6'5, 221) with 262 career passing yards and 223 career rushing yards.

Brewer will also have a familiar supporting cast around him. Freshmen and sophomores consisted of seven of Baylor's top eight receiving targets last year, and now they're sophomores and juniors.

That includes both all-or-nothing threats in juniors Denzel Mims and Chris Platt (combined: 19.3 yards per catch with a paltry 39 percent success rate) and potentially decent possession men in juniors Pooh Stricklin and Tony Nicholson and sophomore Gavin Holmes. Platt injured his knee pretty early in the year, but Holmes both emerged as exciting options with Brewer behind center. (So did RB-turned-DB Blake Lynch, but it appears he'll remain a DB this year.)

Baylor's receiving corps should be just fine without a contribution from a newcomer or youngster, but there's extra intrigue from the addition of Tennessee transfer Jalen Hurd. The 6'4, 229-pounder was an inefficient but physical running back for the Vols, and after a year off, he's lining up at receiver. He's a good athlete for his size, but perhaps most importantly, he faces no immediate pressure to succeed. With Baylor's experience, any Hurd production is a bonus.

Offensive co-coordinators Jeff Nixon and Glenn Thomas attempted relative balance on standard downs (56 percent run rate, four percentage points below the national average) before handing the ball to their QB on passing downs (75 percent pass rate, 10 percentage points higher than average). The Bears still spread the field, but operated at a pretty normal tempo. With a potentially awesome passing game, they could pick up the pace.

Really, the only reason to doubt the passing game is the run game. Baylor fell to 126th in rushing success rate, 127th in stuff rate (run stops at or behind the line), and dead last in FBS in power success rate.

Freshman John Lovett did nice things in the open field but rarely got there, and returnees JaMycal Hasty and Terence Williams did next to nothing while battling injuries.

Williams transferred to Houston, so some combination of Lovett, Hasty, sophomore Trestan Ebner, redshirt freshmen Dru Dixon and Abram Smith, and true freshman Craig Williams will need to bring more life. Ebner was easily the most efficient runner of the bunch, but he had more receiving targets (26) than rushes (25); Lovett had nice explosiveness and no consistency. The most likely load carrier, assuming good health, will be Hasty.

The line boasts more experience than it did. Two-year starters Blake Blackmar and Pat Lawrence return, along with four others who started at least one game. Plus, Rhule added Clemson transfer Jake Fruhmorgen (eight career starts), UCF's Christian Beard, and big JUCO transfer Johncarlo Valentin. He redshirted five freshmen last year, as well. So the depth chart is full. That doesn't guarantee success, but the bar for improvement is pretty low.

The staff Rhule put together to run his offense was a mish-mash of guys who hadn't worked together much Thomas was a former Rhule assistant at Temple, Nixon had mostly NFL coaching experience over the last decade, tight ends coach Joey McGuire was an experience Texas high school head man, etc.

On defense, though, Rhule brought one of the best-regarded assistants in the country. Snow's been coaching for 40 years and joined up with Rhule at Temple. After a Year Zero of his own there, he crafted one of the most consistently awesome defenses in the country the Owls ranked between 11th and 24th in Def. S&P+ each year from 2014-16.

He had one hell of a task last fall. His defense was young and constantly banged up; only two of the top six linebackers and three of the top 14 defensive backs played in all 12 games. Oh yeah, and there's no immediate answer for "How do you coach good defense in the Big 12?"

Baylor was aggressive when it had the chance, ranking 25th in stuff rate, 53rd in power success rate, and 55th in Adj. Sack Rate. But the Bears were 111th in Def. S&P+, getting torched without enough disruptive plays to make up for it.

In theory, last year's growing pains are this year's experience. Baylor returns six linemen, five linebackers, and seven defensive backs who made at least 12.5 tackles last year; they also add Texas A&M transfer James Lockhart at end and Temple transfer Derrek Thomas at cornerback and return rush end Xavier Jones, who missed eight games last year.

Snow's second BU defense will have drastically more depth and experience, and in players like cornerback Grayland Arnold, nose tackle Ira Lewis, and middle linebacker Clay Johnston (plus perhaps Blake Lynch, now that he's a full-time defender), he has some play-makers.

Still, what can Snow actually do against Big 12 defenses? What can anyone do? Snow likes getting as aggressive as possible Temple ranked 12th in havoc rate (tackles for loss, passes defensed, and forced fumbles divided by total plays) and second in defensive line havoc in 2016 but only one Big 12 team succeeded at that last year: TCU, which managed to rank eighth in success rate while getting torched a few times per game (2.7 gains per game of 30-plus yards, 104th in the country).

Just about everybody else was forced to adopt a bend-don't-break approach. Will Snow have the pieces he needs to play like he wants?

Special Teams

Baylor had a youth movement on special teams as well, but this one worked out alright. The Bears ranked 46th in Special Teams S&P+ despite a sophomore punter/kicker (Connor Martin), a freshman kickoffs guy (Jay Sedwick), and a sophomore punt returner (Tony Nicholson).

Granted, kickoffs were a bit of a disaster (and kick returns were forgettable), but Nicholson was solid, and Martin was excellent in the place-kicking department. He was only decent at punting, but that's fine senior Drew Galitz (45.2-yard average) was outstanding in this regard before suffering a knee injury. They're all back.

S&P+ might be overestimating Baylor's odds of a rebound, but it's not hard to see how one might come to fruition. Brewer gets a whole year behind center with a wonderfully experienced receiving corps, the run game improves because of good health and experience, and a better-tested defense makes more big plays of its own while suffering fewer breakdowns.

The Bears were dreadfully inconsistent but showed enough moments an eight-point loss to Oklahoma, a two-point loss to WVU, a sufficiently impressive win over Kansas to hint at a high ceiling. And now last year's youth movement is this year's veteran influx.

A fast start is key. Within the first half of the season, Baylor will play its five most winnable games home games against Abilene Christian, Duke, Kansas, and Kansas State and a road game against UTSA before the Big 12's depth begins to take over. A 4-2 or 5-1 start could lead to bowl eligibility, but anything less would make it tricky.
[url=https://www.sbnation.com/authors/bill-connelly][/url]
by: Bill Connelly

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2018/6/5/17410532/baylor-football-2018-preview-schedule-roster
"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." ~ John Adams
cowboycwr
I stopped reading two sentences in when the author clearly has no clue what he was talking about.

7 win team to 1 win team.... that is all anyone needs to know.

First year coaches win ALL THE TIME.

And yet everyone wants to give Rhule a pass because he is a nice guy or something. All one has to do is watch his post game pressers to see he is lost and has no clue.

And of course if he wins 2 games this year he will be called the savior of Baylor Football.
Htown387
cowboycwr said:

I stopped reading two sentences in when the author clearly has no clue what he was talking about.

And yet everyone wants to give Rhule a pass because he is a nice guy or something. All one has to do is watch his post game pressers to see he is lost and has no clue.

And of course if he wins 2 games this year he will be called the savior of Baylor Football.

I can wait for guys/trolls like you to fall on your sword at the end of the season. No way we win anything less than 5 games next season.

It was a clear roster burn last year, nobody was younger in the country.
Doc Holliday
Htown387 said:

cowboycwr said:

I can wait for guys/trolls like you to fall on your sword at the end of the season. No way we win anything less than 5 games next season.

I think his concerns are very valid.

We are in a state of unknown. We could very well lose to UTSA...hopefully not.
We could also win more than 5 games and go bowling.

From what I've seen in the Spring game and practice, I'm convinced that we have improved, but I'm not convinced that we're at a point where things are certain...like beating OOC teams.
"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." ~ John Adams
cowboycwr
Htown387 said:

cowboycwr said:

LOL.

and when we don't win 5 games I will be sure to bring this back up.

And if we do win 5 games who cares??? That is STILL a losing season. I don't celebrate losing. So yeah I will not be falling on my sword at the end of the season unless by some miracle he goes undefeated.

Yes we used a lot of freshmen... because the coach benched players like a 1,000 yard rusher to play the freshmen... and the results were... losses. Lots of them. And now transfers.

boognish_bear
Good article...thanks for posting. CMR said bowl or bust this year when last season ended. He set the bar at 6 wins at least. We will see...hope he's right.

It's going to take forever for Sept to get here.
Mr Tulip
I keep beating this horse, but we wouldn't be having these debates (there would be others) if Baylor had a healthy OL last season. The ball advancers are talented, but they're dead meat if the OL can't perform.

If I knew how to reliably assemble a collegiate OL, I'd be posting this from a much more expensive computer. Baylor lost a lot of talent from the OL pipeline during the Troubles, could not afford any bad luck with injuries, and got exactly that.

If your team has no threat between the tackles, defending you is a very easy task.

There are new players, players with more experience, and everyone's a year older. There's reasons for optimism. However, it won't mean a thing until a hostile defense tries to kill Charlie Brewer.

If the OL improves, we'll sell bowl tickets. Otherwise, we'll be right here having the same chat next season.
Jakedasnake
Htown387 said:

cowboycwr said:

LOL. No one thinks this. He will be roasted even more than now. And I like Rhule for the most part. 6 wins is the bar. He said it himself, everything below that would be a disappointment.
- Jacob
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Mr Tulip said:

I keep beating this horse, but we wouldn't be having these debates (there would be others) if Baylor had a healthy OL last season. The ball advancers are talented, but they're dead meat if the OL can't perform.

If I knew how to reliably assemble a collegiate OL, I'd be posting this from a much more expensive computer. Baylor lost a lot of talent from the OL pipeline during the Troubles, could not afford any bad luck with injuries, and got exactly that.

If your team has no threat between the tackles, defending you is a very easy task.

There are new players, players with more experience, and everyone's a year older. There's reasons for optimism. However, it won't mean a thing until a hostile defense tries to kill Charlie Brewer.

If the OL improves, we'll sell bowl tickets. Otherwise, we'll be right here having the same chat next season.
Agree with this, but there were other factors involved.

Against Duke. the Blue Devils ran a shift of 3 DL in the 7/5/3 gaps and lined the nose up on Teck. This left Newman and Porter against a run blitzing LB and the play lost yardage with the LB making the play.
Mr Tulip
Agreed there are plenty of ways to abuse a poor OL.

Fans start in with the "why did they keep <running wide | tossing left | throwing short> when it wasn't working" type construction. While OCs make plenty of mistakes, by and large they're not stupid. They know it isn't working, but they don't have anything that WILL work. They can get stuffed between the tackles 3x reliably and punt, or hope that one wide sweep has a defender fall down so they get 10 yards and start over. Deep pass plays take time to develop - time that your OL doesn't have when defenders don't have to check the run first. Short pass plays require the QB to account for dropping DL, flaring LB, and spun down safeties after the ball is snapped. If you lose track of one, it's an INT with nothing to stop the defender but the goal line.

I like the articles "all or nothing" comment on the RBs. That indicates the fact that they have power and speed. On the occasions that they broke to the 2nd level, Baylor's RBs show their skills. Too often, though, they found overwhelming numbers of defenders at or behind the LOS.

Publicly, I'll be optimistic about the 2018/19 season. Right now, though, I have a hard heart needing to see the nastiness out of the OL that brought conference championships.
BluesBear
Change your formations. Throw over the middle more. We can't lineup and hope our 295 lb guy is stronger than there 325 lb guy.

Your first few offensive series will be scripted, after that it falls on the OC to make the in game adjustments.

Not sure evaluating a few Spring practices will equate to a Bowl season. This team is going to struggle another year learning the system and understanding the coaches

Not expecting much this fall. Just want the players to show up and play hard. That's all I can ask and hope for.

Sailor Bear
cowboycwr said:

All one has to do is watch his post game pressers to see he is lost and has no clue.
I'd love some specifics on this hot take.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
TrustTheProcess said:

Change your formations. Throw over the middle more. We can't lineup and hope our 295 lb guy is stronger than there 325 lb guy.

Your first few offensive series will be scripted, after that it falls on the OC to make the in game adjustments.

Not sure evaluating a few Spring practices will equate to a Bowl season. This team is going to struggle another year learning the system and understanding the coaches

Not expecting much this fall. Just want the players to show up and play hard. That's all I can ask and hope for.

You don't think Nixon changed formations? The team went 4 wide, 3 wide, double TE, diamond formation, from the pistol, shotgun, under center, etc... all season looking for a way to mask the OL.

The OL looks much better (low bar) in our videos and at the Spring game, which was missing three contributors. I don't believe it was due to the competition.
Bear8084
A really good football article by someone who knows what they are talking about. Quite refreshing to see on here instead of BOR/Briles dead horse beatings. I would have to agree, a lot of this season will be on the shoulders of the OL and getting a run game established. We have the WRs and QB and decent to good backs, it is up for the OL to gel and perform Ok to get us to at least 6-7 wins.
RegentCoverup
It's a more productive discussion for sure.

I respect Coach Snow, I think he can defend us into some games where others might count us out.

Here is what a player told me: (Paraphrased).

1. They had a lot of players out the first few games injured on D.
2. Snow dropped a playbook on them that was complex and it was so much they were all very confused and that's how they lost to Liberty. They literally didn't understand the calls or where to line up. All were embarrassed and said it should not have happened. Suffice to say the new defensive scheme is more complex than years past.
3. As the season progressed, they built a better rapport and players began to grasp the defensive scheme. That improved the confidence and the close games against WV and Okie got the players on board.
4. The defense will be improved for sure and they believe in Coach Snow.

Not to bag on Bennett, who I think is still a good coach. But Phil Snow is building a good defense and IMO will be a better defense than we've had.
This site leaks private information to Baylor Regents and Administration
Timbear
Phil B never lost 11 games. Just what I've always thought. Our coaches had a throw away year. The whole year was a ripoff. I do believe that this year, for their career's sake, we'll do better.
RegentCoverup
Phil B recruited Tevin Elliott.

Let that sink in.
CorsicanaBear
Even wearing my darkest green tinted glasses and drinking cask strength 130 proof Koolaid (with one big rock) does not let me see 5 or 6 wins. Trust me, you can see lots of stuff that way, but not this year, not more than 4 wins, probably not more than 3.

That's tough for me to say because this is usually the time of year when the Koolaid tastes the best and I am the most optimistic. I miss that and want it back. 1-11/Liberty was just a stunning smack in the head and I'm still reeling from it. I'd prefer to be reeling from the Koolaid.
Illigitimus non carborundum
Brian Ethridge
Staff
TellMeYouLoveMe said:

Let that sink in.
Actually he didn't.
Gust Avrakotos
Isn't it amazing how the author excuses 1-11 and a pathetic loss to Liberty?
Sprite
Very fair article.

For all intents and purposes, this is Coach Rhule's first season on the job. It would be reckless and impatient to question the lack of results before another three years, at the earliest.

Jacques Strap
I hope the Bears do well and I hope the Bears win 6 games.
hodedofome
Sprite said:

Very fair article.

For all intents and purposes, this is Coach Rhule's first season on the job. It would be reckless and impatient to question the lack of results before another three years, at the earliest.

Good coaches find a way to win with the players they got, not the players they will have 3 years from now. It is because he's not humble and flexible enough to adjust his system to his players.

Briles figures out spreading out the defense and throwing screen passes could mask an inferior O-line. We had a QB with an arm strong enough to make those quick passes, he was recruited by Briles after all.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
hodedofome said:

Sprite said:

Very fair article.

Good coaches find a way to win with the players they got, not the players they will have 3 years from now. It is because he's not humble and flexible enough to adjust his system to his players.

Briles figures out spreading out the defense and throwing screen passes could mask an inferior O-line. We had a QB with an arm strong enough to make those quick passes, he was recruited by Briles after all.

He's a troll.
DAC
Sprite said:

Very fair article.

My boy's pee wee coach would have beat Liberty and he's usually drunk by halftime . Catch him on a sober day and he beats UTSA with that squad
4th and Inches
TellMeYouLoveMe said:

Let that sink in.
Baylor admisssions let him in and Baylor compliance let him stay and etc

Let it go!
RegentCoverup
Hey, he owns it. It was his guy.

Phil commuting back and forth to Aggie every free moment while collecting a big check is not what I'd call commitment to player development and while it's probably not the primary cause, it contributes to a player outliving his welcome.

Someone, has gotta manage the players.
forza orsi
cowboycwr said:

This sort of analysis is what makes this such a great site. A critique of an article by a guy who said that he didn't read it. You can't get that just anywhere.
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
No excuse for last year. What kind of coach uses a playbook the players can't understand? College players have to devote a little time to classes. CMR chose to play most of the young players as he ran of the experienced players. We are back in the wilderness. Steele was a better coach
Stranger
Limited IQ Redneck in PU said:

No excuse for last year. What kind of coach uses a playbook the players can't understand? College players have to devote a little time to classes. CMR chose to play most of the young players as he ran of the experienced players. We are back in the wilderness. Steele was a better coach

You might be right, neighbor. We'll see.

Actually, when I think of little Matty he reminds me of my memories of Kevin Steele. Hope I'm wrong.
I'm a Bearbacker
chorne68
This is the long and short of it...CMR and his coaches did a very poor job of coaching last year. They did a very good job recruiting. I hope they do better this year and years to come.
TheDom
forza orsi said:

cowboycwr said:

This sort of analysis is what makes this such a great site. A critique of an article by a guy who said that he didn't read it. You can't get that just anywhere.
this cowboycwr character was on another thread about MBB citing 2 obvious google facts and telling everyone what they meant and how to "obviously" feel about them. This guy is as generic and cliche as they come.
TheDom
chorne68 said:

This is the long and short of it...CMR and his coaches did a very poor job of coaching last year. They did a very good job recruiting. I hope they do better this year and years to come.
except we got better and improved as the season went along in all aspects, measurable and otherwise, which is the sign of good coaching.
TheDom
cowboycwr said:

Htown387 said:

cowboycwr said:

LOL.

And if we do win 5 games who cares??? That is STILL a losing season. I don't celebrate losing. So yeah I will not be falling on my sword at the end of the season unless by some miracle he goes undefeated.

Yes we used a lot of freshmen... because the coach benched players like a 1,000 yard rusher to play the freshmen... and the results were... losses. Lots of them. And now transfers.

Again bro, just like the MBB thread, please follow the team, watch the games, and have a general idea of what is going on before posting.
Ludwig von Missi
cowboycwr said:

Htown387 said:

cowboycwr said:

LOL.

Who cares if we we win 5 games? Just anyone with half a brain that gives a **** about Baylor football. Nobody is saying that is the end goal, but crawling before you walk and all that. Wining 5 or 6 games this year would be a massive improvement and a sign things are going in the right direction. A little nuance never hurt anyone...you should try it out some time!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.