Story Poster
Photo by Todd Nickle
Baylor Baseball

ESPN: Baylor No. 1 in Texas in creating professional athletes

July 3, 2018

Related: Top 40 Bears in 2018 | Denzel Mims top 10 WR nationally | 130 CFB coaches ranked

When you're talking about the most successful athletic programs in the country since 2010, it's hard not to include Baylor in your discussion. From football to golf, the Bears and Lady Bears have seen a great deal of success at a regional and national level as consistent as any program in the country.

So when you see that ESPN named Baylor as one of the most successful at producing professional athletes in the country, that shouldn't be a surprise. 

In a recent article on ESPN, they ranked the programs with most success at sending athletes to the next level. Baylor ranked No. 24 in the country over the last 10 drafts when including a variety of sports. 

Try SicEm365 Premium until August 27 for $1.00!

24. Baylor Bears

Ultimate Draft score: 689.6

Total players drafted, 2009-18: 56 

Biggest draft-producing sports: Football, baseball, women's basketball, men's basketball

Baylor's football program has had 27 players drafted since 2009, highlighted by Robert Griffin III, who won the Heisman Trophy in 2011 and was selected second overall in the 2012 NFL draft. The Bears have also had nine players taken in the first 10 rounds of the MLB draft. The Lady Bears won the women's basketball championship in 2012, and Brittney Griner was the top pick in the WNBA draft in 2013, one of eight players Baylor has had drafted in the past 10 years. Meanwhile, the men's basketball program made the Sweet 16 four times (2010, 2012, 2014 and 2017) and has had seven players drafted during the past decade.

The list marked Baylor as No. 1 in Texas, once spot ahead of Texas A&M at No. 24. The Bears were at No. 2 in the Big 12 behind No. 9 Oklahoma.

Discussion from...

ESPN: Baylor No. 1 in Texas in creating professional athletes

22,906 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by bearmission8
Brian Ethridge
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Baylor3216
Ahh the good old days before everyone knew Baylor had feckless Leadership
geewago
Baylor3216 said:

yep
MilliVanilli
Baylor3216 said:

Weird, because recruitment is stronger than ever and baseball is better than ever, MBB had a down year but is still a contender, WBB is as good as ever, golf and track are still staples of excellence...

RealLarryDon
The sport that will produce the most successful professionals over the next 10-15 years will be men's golf. Unfortunately there's no draft for that. Outside of the Acrobatics and Tumbling dominance, men's golf is the most likely of any of our men's or women's teams to bring home a national championship. But, then again, I'm confident the athletic department will find a way to screw over McGraw and lose him just before we have our best shot to win it.

Either way, it feels good to see our name at the top of a positive headline above, particularly at ESPN.
Lion82
I could see Goble winning a NC in the next 4 years.
BUbearinARK
Equestrian? Quidditch?
jumpinjoe
Don't forget that we have a new national recognized tennis coach who will add to the pro ranks.
Joined BaylorFans in 1999 under username jumpinjoe. Have always been Jumpinjoe. Proud 4 Year Baylor letterman and 1968 graduate and charter member of Quartermiler U, produced school record in 400 IH.
settegast
I made it a point to send this link to my UT buddy and I haven't gotten a response. Nuff said
The two most dangerous things in the world are sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. MLK
bunation
Lacrosse included in the scoring? Seriously?

BU would be in the top 15 if that third-tier sport were left out........................
ImwithBU
Still living off the Briles success I see. Good job guys
MilliVanilli
ImwithBU said:

Yeah, Briles totally prepped Baylor golf and won the Big 12 baseball championship...
ImwithBU
MilliVanilli said:

ImwithBU said:

Yeah, Briles totally prepped Baylor golf and won the Big 12 baseball championship...

Sometimes you have to reply to the neighborhood idiot. So here you go idiot. The articles starts with your most successful sport want to guess what it was for Baylor
MilliVanilli
ImwithBU said:

MilliVanilli said:

ImwithBU said:

Sometimes you have to reply to the neighborhood idiot. So here you go idiot. The articles starts with your most successful sport want to guess what it was for Baylor
That task was already fulfilled when your post was acknowledged (or rather rightfully lampooned) your lack of self awareness as is oblivious as your worldview.

McCavebear
The success of those years may still help Baylor get some good recruits. We got to turn this thing around
McCavebear Lives!
The Old BEAR
MilliVanilli said:

ImwithBU said:

Brle's only leads in entrants into the Texas Department of Corrections.
CTbruin
MilliVanilli said:

Baylor3216 said:

Weird, because recruitment is stronger than ever and baseball is better than ever, MBB had a down year but is still a contender, WBB is as good as ever, golf and track are still staples of excellence...

Nope
DFW
ImwithBU said:

Just as OU is living off Stoops' success.
MilliVanilli
CTbruin said:

MilliVanilli said:

Baylor3216 said:

Nope
Denial doesn't undo fact, sorry.
SurfingBear
bearmission8
Getting Baylor smart every day thx
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.