Football
Sponsored by

Brewer, Hurd, Fruhmorgen, Lovett

10,089 Views | 74 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by REvansBU71
D. C. Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
241Bear said:

D. C. Bear said:

Dia del DougO said:

Recruiting rantings are fun, but not tremendously meaningful. Especially after several players leave your nicely rated class only a year or two after they were signed.

I'd like to see updated ratings based on that classes second year, third year, and on, before you see what they actually turned out to be in the end.
Just because Texas A&M underperforms their rankings by a whole lot on a regular basis do not mean recruiting rankings are not meaningful. They are very meaningful. Unless you're getting unusual attrition (see Baylor, 2016) reranking of the classes isn't that important since everyone has a level of attrition. How you recruit is the single most important thing in a successful program. If you don't have good recruiting, no amount of coaching or hard work will overcome that.

The fact that Baylor is recruiting at about the level of TCU after the Bears went 1-11 is a testament to just how good Matt Rhule and staff are a the recruiting process. When the Bears start winning, that will see a bit of an uptick.
What a coaching staff does with the class once they're on campus is just as important as getting them there, if not more important. Patterson at TCU has a history of coaching up 2- and 3-star guys and turning them into very good players, especially on defense. He has also had success moving players from their high school position to a new position in college and making them strong contributors. I hope Rhule and Co. can do the same.

Sure you have to coach them once you get them, but you cannot coach what you do not have.

Patterson at TCU has a history of having a class ranked on average 33rd nationally by Rivals over the past eight seasons. Let's not pretend he taking players from Kansas and making them winners.
241Bear
D. C. Bear said:

241Bear said:

D. C. Bear said:

Dia del DougO said:

Recruiting rantings are fun, but not tremendously meaningful. Especially after several players leave your nicely rated class only a year or two after they were signed.

I'd like to see updated ratings based on that classes second year, third year, and on, before you see what they actually turned out to be in the end.
Just because Texas A&M underperforms their rankings by a whole lot on a regular basis do not mean recruiting rankings are not meaningful. They are very meaningful. Unless you're getting unusual attrition (see Baylor, 2016) reranking of the classes isn't that important since everyone has a level of attrition. How you recruit is the single most important thing in a successful program. If you don't have good recruiting, no amount of coaching or hard work will overcome that.

The fact that Baylor is recruiting at about the level of TCU after the Bears went 1-11 is a testament to just how good Matt Rhule and staff are a the recruiting process. When the Bears start winning, that will see a bit of an uptick.
What a coaching staff does with the class once they're on campus is just as important as getting them there, if not more important. Patterson at TCU has a history of coaching up 2- and 3-star guys and turning them into very good players, especially on defense. He has also had success moving players from their high school position to a new position in college and making them strong contributors. I hope Rhule and Co. can do the same.

Sure you have to coach them once you get them, but you cannot coach what you do not have.

Patterson at TCU has a history of having a class ranked on average 33rd nationally by Rivals over the past eight seasons. Let's not pretend he taking players from Kansas and making them winners.
Agreed, he has had strong recruiting classes. But doesn't he have 4 or 5 Top 10 finishes in those past 8 seasons? Pretty impressive if your national recruiting class ranking for those years is 33. And I am no fan of Gary Patterson, just acknowledging what he does with the talent he gets to campus.
4th and Inches
DustyM said:

MilliVanilli said:

Waco1947 said:

Forest Bueller said:

Waco1947 said:

Loaded4Bear said:

Isn't Brewer from Austin? I know Austin is Liberal as Hell but I still consider it a part of Texas.

Yes but he still called out of the blue. That's his commonality with the others.
I think he had a SMU offer so BU was a big upgrade.

Lovett was an East coast guy, like Rhule.

The other two wanted a fresh start, where better to get one than a rebuilding program. Rhule is a great salesman too.

Don't forget James Lockhart from aTm another guy needing a reset. Lot's of talent in that group.
Baylor rebuilding or Rhule or Both? I think Rhule has some way of connecting. Brewer is a mystery unless he knew Chad Morris was too hot a commodity as a coach and he might start right away. To hear Rhule tell it Brewer called them. I think
Rhule is an exciting recruiter/ had a P5 card Morris did not.
If Rhule is such an exciting recruiter, why are we ranked in the 40s and TX A&M ranked near the top. I guess when this staff doesn't have immediate playing time to offer, the recruiting kind of drops off.
class size is a factor in class rank too
Loaded4Bear
241Bear said:

D. C. Bear said:

241Bear said:

D. C. Bear said:

Dia del DougO said:

Agreed, he has had strong recruiting classes. But doesn't he have 4 or 5 Top 10 finishes in those past 8 seasons? Pretty impressive if your national recruiting class ranking for those years is 33. And I am no fan of Gary Patterson, just acknowledging what he does with the talent he gets to campus.
Patterson was a lot like Briles was when it came to recruiting. He is content to let the Bluebloods fight over the 4 and 5 stars and would develop the 3 stars they completely overlooked. Gary Patterson is an ass, but a spectacular football coach.
"It it ain't broke, get a bigger hammer!"
D. C. Bear
241Bear said:

D. C. Bear said:

241Bear said:

D. C. Bear said:

Dia del DougO said:

Yes, it's impressive, but possible at that level of recruiting.
Not possible with KU-level recruits.
Waco1947
MilliVanilli said:

DustyM said:

MilliVanilli said:

DustyM said:

MilliVanilli said:

Waco1947 said:

Forest Bueller said:

Waco1947 said:

Loaded4Bear said:

Isn't Brewer from Austin? I know Austin is Liberal as Hell but I still consider it a part of Texas.

Yes but he still called out of the blue. That's his commonality with the others.

The other two wanted a fresh start, where better to get one than a rebuilding program. Rhule is a great salesman too.

Don't forget James Lockhart from aTm another guy needing a reset. Lot's of talent in that group.
Baylor rebuilding or Rhule or Both? I think Rhule has some way of connecting. Brewer is a mystery unless he knew Chad Morris was too hot a commodity as a coach and he might start right away. To hear Rhule tell it Brewer called them. I think
If Rhule is such an exciting recruiter, why are we ranked in the 40s and TX A&M ranked near the top. I guess when this staff doesn't have immediate playing time to offer, the recruiting kind of drops off.
Lulz, star chasing and argumentative do not an arguement make.

Rhule has done phenomenally well on the recruitment trail, as well as Briles, and he's recruited exceptional transfer talent to boot.
Your point is not made comparing Rhule to Briles. Two different coaches, two different times and situations. Baylor has two recent conference championships, a Heisman trophy winner, new facilities, including a new stadium, we are centrally located and we provide a good education. Then why are we behind, TCU, UT and OU. Since most of you did not like my comparison to TX A&M, then why the others.
Baylor was made a pariah in 2016 and Rhule came in in a calendar month and pulled together a respectable class with zero preparation and with only a single recruit committed before he stepped on campus.

He's done gangbusters given the circumstances.

Players play for a coach, not a school unless it has blue blood status or in Aggy's case cult status...and Aggy finally has a coach who has a natty on his resume to boot.

Baylor was appealing because kids played for Briles and Baylor will be appealing now because kids choose to play for Rhule.

Likewise TCU football IS Gary Patterson, nothing else gets kids there.

. Yep and bump
Bigtexasmike
Nice to be reading about football again
Up up down down LR LR BA select start
DustyM
Bigtexasmike said:

Could you imagine a team with GP defense and AB offense. Now that would be a team from Texas that would rule college football.
D. C. Bear
DustyM said:

Bigtexasmike said:

Could you imagine a team with GP defense and AB offense. Now that would be a team from Texas that would rule college football.
Be like Kevin Gilbride and Buddy Ryan.
trey3216
DustyM said:

BBWCBear said:

DustyM said:

Colt B. said:

DustyM said:

MilliVanilli said:

Waco1947 said:

Forest Bueller said:

Waco1947 said:

Loaded4Bear said:

First, comparing Baylor recruiting to Texas A&M isn't a great route to take. They have and will always recruit better than Baylor, very similarly to Texas.

Second, Baylor's recruiting has been very steady under Rhule. The 2019 class is full of prospects that are wanted by several other major programs.

2017 - 40th nationally
2018 - 31st
2019 - 38th

Sir, I think you just made my case. As for A&M, I have to ask why you think they should recruit better than Baylor.

Well, to begin with I can think of $100mil reasons along with National credibility, THOUSANDS of sheep loving, overall wearing, inbred loyal Gumps not to mention the SEC. A state school versus a small private school.

Baylor has a fledgling guy who had TWO years of "success" at a no name college. You can take about three years out of the last 60+ that could be considered as ANY NATIONAL credibility. Plus, the national dumpster fire that is still smoking.

It's not fair to compare the two schools presently... or maybe ever. And I HATE that or anything aggy.
Sorry, but I disagree. Baylor has great facilities, a good education and has two recent conference championships. Being a state school, then why doesn't TX Tech do as well. Sorry, I just disagree.

You can disagree all you'd like, and you'd still be wrong
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
trey3216 said:

DustyM said:

BBWCBear said:

DustyM said:

Colt B. said:

DustyM said:

MilliVanilli said:

Waco1947 said:

Forest Bueller said:

Waco1947 said:

Loaded4Bear said:

First, comparing Baylor recruiting to Texas A&M isn't a great route to take. They have and will always recruit better than Baylor, very similarly to Texas.

Second, Baylor's recruiting has been very steady under Rhule. The 2019 class is full of prospects that are wanted by several other major programs.

2017 - 40th nationally
2018 - 31st
2019 - 38th

Sir, I think you just made my case. As for A&M, I have to ask why you think they should recruit better than Baylor.

Well, to begin with I can think of $100mil reasons along with National credibility, THOUSANDS of sheep loving, overall wearing, inbred loyal Gumps not to mention the SEC. A state school versus a small private school.

Baylor has a fledgling guy who had TWO years of "success" at a no name college. You can take about three years out of the last 60+ that could be considered as ANY NATIONAL credibility. Plus, the national dumpster fire that is still smoking.

It's not fair to compare the two schools presently... or maybe ever. And I HATE that or anything aggy.
Sorry, but I disagree. Baylor has great facilities, a good education and has two recent conference championships. Being a state school, then why doesn't TX Tech do as well. Sorry, I just disagree.

And the reason Tech hasn't been a power is like real estate, location, location, location. It is a culture shock to be 8 hours from home if you've never travelled to anywhere. Tech also has a coach on the hot seat.
YoakDaddy
Brian Ethridge said:

trey3216 said:

DustyM said:

BBWCBear said:

DustyM said:

Colt B. said:

DustyM said:

MilliVanilli said:

Waco1947 said:

Forest Bueller said:

Waco1947 said:

Loaded4Bear said:

2017 - 40th nationally
2018 - 31st
2019 - 38th

And the reason Tech hasn't been a power is like real estate, location, location, location. It is a culture shock to be 8 hours from home if you've never travelled to anywhere. Tech also has a coach on the hot seat.

There's that chance for the Raider Rash, too. On a positive note, Lubbock does have great pizza delivery tho.
MilliVanilli
Brian Ethridge said:

trey3216 said:

DustyM said:

BBWCBear said:

DustyM said:

Colt B. said:

DustyM said:

MilliVanilli said:

Waco1947 said:

Forest Bueller said:

Waco1947 said:

Loaded4Bear said:

2017 - 40th nationally
2018 - 31st
2019 - 38th

Yet what Tech did during the Leach years exceeds most of the last 20 seasons of Aggy football.

jbbear
D. C. Bear said:

DustyM said:

MilliVanilli said:

DustyM said:

MilliVanilli said:

Waco1947 said:

Forest Bueller said:

Waco1947 said:

Loaded4Bear said:

Rhule has done phenomenally well on the recruitment trail, as well as Briles, and he's recruited exceptional transfer talent to boot.
Your point is not made comparing Rhule to Briles. Two different coaches, two different times and situations. Baylor has two recent conference championships, a Heisman trophy winner, new facilities, including a new stadium, we are centrally located and we provide a good education. Then why are we behind, TCU, UT and OU. Since most of you did not like my comparison to TX A&M, then why the others.

You are asking why we are not recruiting at a higher level than UT and OU? Seriously?
DustyM....the M must stand for mush brain.
Johnny Bear
jbbear said:

D. C. Bear said:

DustyM said:

MilliVanilli said:

DustyM said:

MilliVanilli said:

Waco1947 said:

Forest Bueller said:

Waco1947 said:

Loaded4Bear said:

You are asking why we are not recruiting at a higher level than UT and OU? Seriously?
Actually DustyM makes some good points. We aren't the Baylor of the pre McLane Stadium days when it was embarrassing to take recruits to the stadium we played in. We've always had and still have the great education and the unique things that are characteristic about Baylor which are in fact appealing to at least some of the top recruits out there and we now have first class facilities that are competitive with anybody. I get it that the UT's, OU's and A&M's are going to recruit well as they virtually always have, but we need to get out of the mindset that we're somehow always doomed to have to "settle" for their left overs. I'm not taking anything away from Rhule's recruiting efforts and I get it that he came into a tough situation, etc., etc., but at the same time we shouldn't be surprised or astonished any more if we recruit well - we should expect it.

canoso
Johnny Bear said:

jbbear said:

D. C. Bear said:

DustyM said:

MilliVanilli said:

DustyM said:

MilliVanilli said:

Waco1947 said:

Forest Bueller said:

Waco1947 said:

Loaded4Bear said:

Actually DustyM makes some good points. We aren't the Baylor of the pre McLane Stadium days when it was embarrassing to take recruits to the stadium we played in. We've always had and still have the great education and the unique things that are characteristic about Baylor which are in fact appealing to at least some of the top recruits out there and we now have first class facilities that are competitive with anybody. I get it that the UT's, OU's and A&M's are going to recruit well as they virtually always have, but we need to get out of the mindset that we're somehow always doomed to have to "settle" for their left overs. I'm not taking anything away from Rhule's recruiting efforts and I get it that he came into a tough situation, etc., etc., but at the same time we shouldn't be surprised or astonished any more if we recruit well - we should expect it.

Underrated post is underrated. Way.
DustyM
Johnny Bear said:

jbbear said:

D. C. Bear said:

DustyM said:

MilliVanilli said:

DustyM said:

MilliVanilli said:

Waco1947 said:

Forest Bueller said:

Waco1947 said:

Loaded4Bear said:

Finally someone is getting it. I don't want to see Baylor go back to or settle for simply making a bowl game.
MilliVanilli
DustyM said:

Johnny Bear said:

jbbear said:

D. C. Bear said:

DustyM said:

MilliVanilli said:

DustyM said:

MilliVanilli said:

Waco1947 said:

Forest Bueller said:

Waco1947 said:

Loaded4Bear said:

Finally someone is getting it. I don't want to see Baylor go back to or settle for simply making a bowl game.
No true Baylor fan is settling for anything, those of us that have moved on simply scoff at the idea only Art Briles and his offense can lead Baylor to victory as you and a specific cadre seem to always seem to lament.
GhettoHEBear
Texasjeremy said:

Baylor was Charlie Brewer's only P5 offer.
I think Brewer got unfairly overlooked. If he turns out like I think he will...
Baylor Mafioso
DustyM
MilliVanilli said:

DustyM said:

Johnny Bear said:

jbbear said:

D. C. Bear said:

DustyM said:

MilliVanilli said:

DustyM said:

MilliVanilli said:

Waco1947 said:

Forest Bueller said:

Waco1947 said:

Loaded4Bear said:

No true Baylor fan is settling for anything, those of us that have moved on simply scoff at the idea only Art Briles and his offense can lead Baylor to victory as you and a specific cadre seem to always seem to lament.
Did I mention Art Briles. He has been gone for two years and more. Why don't you start living in the present instead of the past.
MilliVanilli
DustyM said:

MilliVanilli said:

DustyM said:

Johnny Bear said:

jbbear said:

D. C. Bear said:

DustyM said:

MilliVanilli said:

DustyM said:

MilliVanilli said:

Waco1947 said:

Forest Bueller said:

Waco1947 said:

Loaded4Bear said:

Did I mention Art Briles. He has been gone for two years and more. Why don't you start living in the present instead of the past.
You must think everyone on here is as stupid as you are if you think it isn't clear as day that you're *****ing about the present regime not being the past one.
bearnaked
YoakDaddy said:

Brian Ethridge said:

trey3216 said:

DustyM said:

BBWCBear said:

DustyM said:

Colt B. said:

DustyM said:

MilliVanilli said:

Waco1947 said:

Forest Bueller said:

Waco1947 said:

Loaded4Bear said:

2017 - 40th nationally
2018 - 31st
2019 - 38th

There's that chance for the Raider Rash, too. On a positive note, Lubbock does have great pizza delivery tho.
I don't think we're in any sort of position to be throwing stones when it comes to sexual conduct/misconduct.
DustyM
MilliVanilli said:

DustyM said:

MilliVanilli said:

DustyM said:

Johnny Bear said:

jbbear said:

D. C. Bear said:

DustyM said:

MilliVanilli said:

DustyM said:

MilliVanilli said:

Waco1947 said:

Forest Bueller said:

Waco1947 said:

Loaded4Bear said:

You must think everyone on here is as stupid as you are if you think it isn't clear as day that you're *****ing about the present regime not being the past one.
ShooterTX
DustyM said:

BBWCBear said:

DustyM said:

Colt B. said:

DustyM said:

MilliVanilli said:

Waco1947 said:

Forest Bueller said:

Waco1947 said:

Loaded4Bear said:

2017 - 40th nationally
2018 - 31st
2019 - 38th

A&M consistently recruits better than Stanford, UCLA, Nebraska, and a lot of other schools which have won national titles, have strong reputations, and have not recently suffered from a national scandal.
You are expecting too much to think that Baylor will be out-recruiting Aggy anytime soon. Even when we won back-to-back Big XII championships, we were not getting the #1 recruiting classes in our own conference.
If/When we win a national championship, we will (maybe) see recruiting eclipse A&M.
For now, considering our situation, we should be very happy with the amazing job that Rhule has done with recruiting.
ShooterTX
I have a close relationship with a former UT player. He is very active in the program, as an alumni, and was very close with Mack & Strong. He was baffled by the decision to pass on Baker Mayfield. But he was almost angry (this guy never gets angry), at the decision to pass on Charlie. The Brewers have a tradition of playing QB at UT and beyond. The family all agree that Charlie may be the most talented of all the Brewer QBs... and yet he was totally ignored by UT. According to my friend, Charlie always wanted to play in the Big XII. He was really disappointed to be snubbed by the entire conference. Once he was given a shot by Rhule... he jumped at it!
For all of the cheap shots about Rhule being from "Jersey" and such... he was the only guy in the Big XII to see the talent in Brewer. To be fair, it was McGuire & Bell who brought Charlie to his attention, but it was Rhule who gave Charlie the offer.

Rhule himself admitted that he shamelessly begged Lovett to come to Baylor. Rhule had been recruiting him for Temple, and he knew the kind of talent that Lovett could bring to any team.

Jalen Hurd was a bolt of lightening out of the clear blue sky! No one saw that one coming, including the coaching staff. I think Hurd believed in the staff, and saw the opportunity to be a starter (and a potential hero) at a P5 program. I think Hurd also realized that Baylor was his best option to truly transition into the WR position in such a short amount of time.

I think Thornton and Bohannon are also excellent examples of the recruiting under Rhule. These are players who recieved offers from their dream schools in their home states, and yet they chose to go far from home to play for Baylor!! THAT is huge, and speaks volumes about our coach. You can't even begin to compare our facilities, history, etc. with FSU, Florida, or Miami. Yet we got one of the guys that they were all fighting over in Ty Thornton! Give the credit where it is due... Rhule & Co. made some magic happen.

And now we have another amazing class coming up! How can you explain Jalen Ellis?? Are you really going to argue that it is our facilities, Briles era success, or something other than Rhule that has given Baylor an advantage over UT, Michighan, Ohio State, UTenn, UCal, Oregon, etc. Give the man his credit. He is very good at recruiting.
D. C. Bear
ShooterTX said:

I have a close relationship with a former UT player. He is very active in the program, as an alumni, and was very close with Mack & Strong. He was baffled by the decision to pass on Baker Mayfield. But he was almost angry (this guy never gets angry), at the decision to pass on Charlie. The Brewers have a tradition of playing QB at UT and beyond. The family all agree that Charlie may be the most talented of all the Brewer QBs... and yet he was totally ignored by UT. According to my friend, Charlie always wanted to play in the Big XII. He was really disappointed to be snubbed by the entire conference. Once he was given a shot by Rhule... he jumped at it!
For all of the cheap shots about Rhule being from "Jersey" and such... he was the only guy in the Big XII to see the talent in Brewer. To be fair, it was McGuire & Bell who brought Charlie to his attention, but it was Rhule who gave Charlie the offer.

Rhule himself admitted that he shamelessly begged Lovett to come to Baylor. Rhule had been recruiting him for Temple, and he knew the kind of talent that Lovett could bring to any team.

Jalen Hurd was a bolt of lightening out of the clear blue sky! No one saw that one coming, including the coaching staff. I think Hurd believed in the staff, and saw the opportunity to be a starter (and a potential hero) at a P5 program. I think Hurd also realized that Baylor was his best option to truly transition into the WR position in such a short amount of time.

I think Thornton and Bohannon are also excellent examples of the recruiting under Rhule. These are players who recieved offers from their dream schools in their home states, and yet they chose to go far from home to play for Baylor!! THAT is huge, and speaks volumes about our coach. You can't even begin to compare our facilities, history, etc. with FSU, Florida, or Miami. Yet we got one of the guys that they were all fighting over in Ty Thornton! Give the credit where it is due... Rhule & Co. made some magic happen.

And now we have another amazing class coming up! How can you explain Jalen Ellis?? Are you really going to argue that it is our facilities, Briles era success, or something other than Rhule that has given Baylor an advantage over UT, Michighan, Ohio State, UTenn, UCal, Oregon, etc. Give the man his credit. He is very good at recruiting.

The facilities and recent history of winning are important in that if you took them away, Rhule would have a much steeper hill to climb with recruiting. We should appreciate all of those factors.
ShooterTX
D. C. Bear said:

ShooterTX said:

The facilities and recent history of winning are important in that if you took them away, Rhule would have a much steeper hill to climb with recruiting. We should appreciate all of those factors.
Of course we all appreciate those factors, but they are not enough to explain the recruiting success after such a massive scandal and regime change. Even without the scandal, you have to admit that our facilities & history don't match up to UT, Ohio State, Mich, etc.

Now, given that Rhule is an amazing recruiter, I don't see how we will ever overcome the advantages of the massive state schools like UT & A&M. This is just common for any state. The biggest recruiters are almost always the University of blank and the blank State University. UT and A&M, Florida & FSU, Georgia & Georgia Tech, OU & OkSt, Mich & MSU... There are some exceptions, but this is the general rule. There are almost no examples of a small, private school becoming the powerhouse recruiter in their own state. It's just not realistic.
I think a much more realistic goal is to aim for a top 15 recruiting class. Of course, to make top 15 would also mean that we were the #1 or #2 in the Big XII, which would mean we beat out OU and/or UT... do you realistically see that happening in the near future? As far as I can research, Baylor has never been higher than #3 in our conference recruiting... am I wrong about that?
D. C. Bear
ShooterTX said:

D. C. Bear said:

ShooterTX said:

Of course we all appreciate those factors, but they are not enough to explain the recruiting success after such a massive scandal and regime change. Even without the scandal, you have to admit that our facilities & history don't match up to UT, Ohio State, Mich, etc.

Now, given that Rhule is an amazing recruiter, I don't see how we will ever overcome the advantages of the massive state schools like UT & A&M. This is just common for any state. The biggest recruiters are almost always the University of blank and the blank State University. UT and A&M, Florida & FSU, Georgia & Georgia Tech, OU & OkSt, Mich & MSU... There are some exceptions, but this is the general rule. There are almost no examples of a small, private school becoming the powerhouse recruiter in their own state. It's just not realistic.
I think a much more realistic goal is to aim for a top 15 recruiting class. Of course, to make top 15 would also mean that we were the #1 or #2 in the Big XII, which would mean we beat out OU and/or UT... do you realistically see that happening in the near future? As far as I can research, Baylor has never been higher than #3 in our conference recruiting... am I wrong about that?
You don't need to match them on signing day or brick-for-brick on facilities, but you do need to be in the neighborhood. Then you need to develop your players so they are on par with those better recruiting classes as they become juniors and seniors.

You don't aim for a class ranking, you aim for the best you can get and go from there. Almost all the history you are talking about was with vastly inferior facilities and against schools (like SMU and A&M) who were cheating at at a much higher rate than we were.

Nevertheless, if we get back to winning, we should be able to bring in top 10-15 classes. It is quite realistic.
ShooterTX
D. C. Bear said:

ShooterTX said:

D. C. Bear said:

ShooterTX said:

You don't need to match them on signing day or brick-for-brick on facilities, but you do need to be in the neighborhood. Then you need to develop your players so they are on par with those better recruiting classes as they become juniors and seniors.

You don't aim for a class ranking, you aim for the best you can get and go from there. Almost all the history you are talking about was with vastly inferior facilities and against schools (like SMU and A&M) who were cheating at at a much higher rate than we were.

Nevertheless, if we get back to winning, we should be able to bring in top 10-15 classes. It is quite realistic.
I'm curious, do you think we will be able to reach the top 15 without beating out both OU and UT? Obviously, we couldn't get to the top 10 and still be third in the Big XII... unless you think the Big XII will have 3 teams in the top 10??

BTW - I don't put a lot of stock into recruiting class rankings. I think KSU is a great example of horrible class rankings with pretty solid results. In 2012, KSU won the Big XII. The previous 5 years, their class rankings were 27th, 92nd, 63rd, 68th, and 59th. Just an example for ya.
D. C. Bear
ShooterTX said:

D. C. Bear said:

ShooterTX said:

D. C. Bear said:

ShooterTX said:

I'm curious, do you think we will be able to reach the top 15 without beating out both OU and UT? Obviously, we couldn't get to the top 10 and still be third in the Big XII... unless you think the Big XII will have 3 teams in the top 10??

BTW - I don't put a lot of stock into recruiting class rankings. I think KSU is a great example of horrible class rankings with pretty solid results. In 2012, KSU won the Big XII. The previous 5 years, their class rankings were 27th, 92nd, 63rd, 68th, and 59th. Just an example for ya.

You don't put stock in recruiting rankings, and then point out ONE example, quite possibly the only example, of someone who performs at a decent level with lower ranked classes. Higher class rankings tend to be correlated with winning more games. It is just how it goes.

Beating OU and UT in rankings or for players? Of course we could get a top 10-15 class without beating them in a class ranking.
xiledinok
D. C. Bear said:

DustyM said:

Bigtexasmike said:

Fat Pat would be choking out Baby Briles and trying to drown him in the Gatorade while Rex's son will be trying to pull Fat Pat off Baby Briles but will fail because he won't be able to get a grip on his soaking wet fat ass.

Dusty, you been to Lubbock? There's the reason why it won't attract enough to players. Tour Buddy Holly park on Sunday and watch the drug dealing and the illegals bath in the swimming pools. You'll never return to Lubbock.
ShooterTX
xiledinok said:

D. C. Bear said:

DustyM said:

Bigtexasmike said:

Fat Pat would be choking out Baby Briles and trying to drown him in the Gatorade while Rex's son will be trying to pull Fat Pat off Baby Briles but will fail because he won't be able to get a grip on his soaking wet fat ass.

Dusty, you been to Lubbock? There's the reason why it won't attract enough to players. Tour Buddy Holly park on Sunday and watch the drug dealing and the illegals bath in the swimming pools. You'll never return to Lubbock.
Yes!
As long as Texas Tech is in Lubbock... they will continue to be one of the worst recruiting schools in the state. No matter how much money they got, or how many students they sell degrees to, they will never be able to compete for talent as they should. Consider that they have to drive over 250 miles to get to a decent recruiting ground... and that is 250 miles of nothing.
Tech is already out recruited by UofH. Last year, UTSA was tied with Tech in recruiting. If they don't rehire Leach, Texas State will be out recruiting them with 5 years. TSU has a tubing river flowing through the middle of campus. Compare that with dust storms and desert.... Lubbock sux!
canoso
Fellow Baylor fans, unless there's general agreement amongst us that if we're still playing in Floyd Casey no Baylor HC is getting the quality of recruits Briles got in 2016 and Rhule is getting now, none of our diplomas are worth what we claim they are.

Slice it and dice it any way we want, there are no two ways about that. Which, more than any other fact, is what will gall the Briles detractors for the rest of their natural lives. And, they know it.
ShooterTX
canoso said:

Fellow Baylor fans, unless there's general agreement amongst us that if we're still playing in Floyd Casey no Baylor HC is getting the quality of recruits Briles got in 2016 and Rhule is getting now, none of our diplomas are worth what we claim they are.

Slice it and dice it any way we want, there are no two ways about that. Which, more than any other fact, is what will gall the Briles detractors for the rest of their natural lives. And, they know it.
In other words, Rhule hasn't done anything of great value in recruiting. The worst coach in football could have done just as good cause.... facilities.
That's just the dumbest thing I've heard in a long time.

No one is saying that we wish we still had Floyd Casey. But to say that our recent success in recruiting is due primarily to facilities is utter stupidity. If that were the case, then Stidham would still be here. All of those recruits who left would still be here. All of those kids who decommitted would have come to Baylor. Or maybe there is some reason (outside of facilities) that they decided to leave/decommit from Baylor.... maybe something.... hmmmmm.... nope, nothing comes to mind.

If the scandal was enough to make dozens of players leave Baylor, then recruiting in the wake of the same scandal is something to be admired. Recruiting 4* players away from Florida, UT, etc. is even more admirable. Or maybe those schools have ****ty facilities compared to McLane?
D. C. Bear
ShooterTX said:

canoso said:

In other words, Rhule hasn't done anything of great value in recruiting. The worst coach in football could have done just as good cause.... facilities.
That's just the dumbest thing I've heard in a long time.

No one is saying that we wish we still had Floyd Casey. But to say that our recent success in recruiting is due primarily to facilities is utter stupidity. If that were the case, then Stidham would still be here. All of those recruits who left would still be here. All of those kids who decommitted would have come to Baylor. Or maybe there is some reason (outside of facilities) that they decided to leave/decommit from Baylor.... maybe something.... hmmmmm.... nope, nothing comes to mind.

If the scandal was enough to make dozens of players leave Baylor, then recruiting in the wake of the same scandal is something to be admired. Recruiting 4* players away from Florida, UT, etc. is even more admirable. Or maybe those schools have ****ty facilities compared to McLane?
That's not what he said, and he's right about the facilities.

Without the facilities we have now, Rhule couldn't do what he's doing with recruiting. In fact, without the facilities that Baylor has, I don't think Rhule would have any trouble recruiting to Baylor because he wouldn't be recruiting to Baylor.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.