Football
Sponsored by

Southern Miss football set to interview former Baylor head coach Art Briles

45,733 Views | 316 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by boognish_bear
Bear8084
How long do you want to ignore this user?
REX said:

Bear8084 said:

Doc Holliday said:

PartyBear said:

If Briles is exhonerated by the NCAA then it is clear he wasn't one who had to go.
If Baylor couldn't put up enough evidence and had to settle with him...the NCAA will have absolutely nothing on him.

"Lack of Institutional Control and failure to promote an atmosphere of compliance".

Yup, sounds like nothing.

So what institutional controls were lacking?
Serious question.
Would the ncaa go there? What if they got called out?
Stop and think CAB has nothing to lose

They already went there and have told both Baylor and Briles.
Banned BarleyMcDougal
Bear8084 said:

REX said:

Bear8084 said:

Doc Holliday said:

PartyBear said:

If Briles is exhonerated by the NCAA then it is clear he wasn't one who had to go.
If Baylor couldn't put up enough evidence and had to settle with him...the NCAA will have absolutely nothing on him.

"Lack of Institutional Control and failure to promote an atmosphere of compliance".

Serious question.

Feels like a Boeheim situation is about to unfold with both parties taking it to court.
YoakDaddy
REX said:

Bear8084 said:

Doc Holliday said:

PartyBear said:

Serious question.

13 pages of an FoF in which 10 were not related to football.
REX
Bear8084 said:

REX said:

Bear8084 said:

Doc Holliday said:

PartyBear said:

Serious question.

So Coach has been hit with a show cause?
Darn I missed that one
Bear8084
REX said:

Bear8084 said:

REX said:

Bear8084 said:

Doc Holliday said:

PartyBear said:

Serious question.

Darn I missed that one

Where did I say that? Just saying NCAA found something and implicated it was under his watch. Both are pretty serious labels that the NCAA gives to serious allegations.
REX
Bear8084 said:

REX said:

Bear8084 said:

REX said:

Bear8084 said:

Doc Holliday said:

PartyBear said:

Serious question.

Darn I missed that one

Where did I say that? Just saying NCAA found something and implicated it was under his watch. Both are pretty serious labels that the NCAA gives to serious allegations.

Sigh
Bear8084
REX said:

Bear8084 said:

REX said:

Bear8084 said:

REX said:

Bear8084 said:

Doc Holliday said:

PartyBear said:

Serious question.

Darn I missed that one

Sigh

Sigh all you want and ignore it, but that is what has been given to Baylor and Briles. Now we wait to see what the NCAA will do.
boognish_bear

"One poll on the GoldenEaglePride.com message board has fans voting 87 percent in favor of hiring Briles. Other USM fans have put their faith in Hopson to make the right call.

"I trust Coach Hopson to make a good decision here," said Jim Warren, a 1984 graduate of USM. "I do have concerns, however, as I don't completely understand Coach Briles' role and the status of the various investigations. We will need a clear statement on all this if the hire is made.""

Reverend
Sigh. Nothing has happened, and it won't.
Forest Bueller
Bear8084 said:

Doc Holliday said:

PartyBear said:

That's what happens when administration refuses to implement an effective T9 program in a timely manner.
Bear8084
Reverend said:

Sigh. Nothing has happened, and it won't.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thebiglead.com/2018/10/02/baylor-ncaa-violations-case-sexual-assault-art-briles/amp/

Doesnt look like nothing to me. Whistling past the graveyard...
Bear8084
Forest Bueller said:

Bear8084 said:

Doc Holliday said:

PartyBear said:

That's what happens when administration refuses to implement an effective T9 program in a timely manner.

NCAA put those labels on the football program and Briles. Yes, Baylor as a whole failed, but Briles was also a part of this mess.
Bear8084
BarleyMcDougal said:

Bear8084 said:

REX said:

Bear8084 said:

Doc Holliday said:

PartyBear said:

Serious question.

Feels like a Boeheim situation is about to unfold with both parties taking it to court.

Which could also happen, true. But for the time being, the NCAA found something, gave us and Briles "lack of Institutional Control" allegations and now we wait and see.
Reverend
Nothing has happened and it won't. I guess you'll be disappointed.
PartyBear
It still makes no sense he is a serious candidate for a college job now if this was still true.
Aberzombie1892
Bear8084 said:

REX said:

Bear8084 said:

REX said:

Bear8084 said:

REX said:

Bear8084 said:

Doc Holliday said:

PartyBear said:

Serious question.

Darn I missed that one

Sigh

Sigh all you want and ignore it, but that is what has been given to Baylor and Briles. Now we wait to see what the NCAA will do.

This.

It would be unnecessarily risky for USM's coach to hire Briles until after the NCAA completes its investigation, especially since (1) the NCAA has recently indicated that it intends to cite him for violations and (2) the recent high profile results of the NCAA investigations into Kansas and Missouri.

Even though USM's coach is not currently on the hot seat, If he makes the hire before the investigation is complete, he may be inadvertently tying his fate to the results of the NCAA investigation.
Bear8084
Reverend said:

Nothing has happened and it won't. I guess you'll be disappointed.

I don't think you realize how serious lack of Institutional Control and failure to promote an atmosphere of compliance allegations from the NCAA are..and that's not just pulling it out of thin air. The NCAA has already given those allegations to both Baylor and Briles. If they are willing to give Mizzou a postseason ban, scholarship reductions, and a vacation of wins for just a self reported rogue tutor, they probably don't take kindly to a program or coach that they have found to have lack of Institutional Control and failure to promote an atmosphere of compliance. Hopefully they see the changes Baylor has made and continues to make.
Aliceinbubbleland
Brownbw said:

Good luck to you Art. Maybe the best football coach Baylor will ever have.
fifya
usmeagle
Guys, USM fan here. When is the NCAA report/findings on Baylor supposed to come out? Is there an exact date or just sometime in the spring?
Banned BarleyMcDougal
usmeagle said:

Guys, USM fan here. When is the NCAA report/findings on Baylor supposed to come out? Is there an exact date or just sometime in the spring?
Not really a solid timetable. Briles asked for an extension to counter the NCAA's claims, which he received, thus Baylor also gets an extension. I don't remember how long. It could be 1-2 months. It just depends on when the lawyers are ready to start playing ball.

I can say that if he's being interviewed for jobs that he and his lawyer must feel good about what the expected rulings are going to be.
Banned BarleyMcDougal
His lawyers are two of the best in the state as well. And Baylor's being repped by the same firm that handled UNC's academic scandal. Baylor and Briles both appear ready to take on the NCAA.
boognish_bear
usmeagle said:

Take it with a grain of salt....but our former AD is on record saying he feels the NCAA will mostly "exonerate" Briles

(I didn't mean to hit the sad emoji button...oops)
RightRevBear
boognish_bear said:

I think someone earlier in the thread said they wondered what the local reaction was on this news fwiw

The real winner in all of this right now is Patrick Magee. He has probably gotten more clicks from this one story than all his other previous stories combined.
YoakDaddy
RightRevBear said:

boognish_bear said:

I think someone earlier in the thread said they wondered what the local reaction was on this news fwiw

The real winner in all of this right now is Patrick Magee. He has probably gotten more clicks from this one story than all his other previous stories combined.

I listened to his interview on 1660. His answers didn't seem to have an angle. He seemed like a sports reporter trying to get the story right. That said, I haven't listened to his interviews with Finebaun.
Doc Holliday
usmeagle said:

Its looking like Briles took the fall for a campus wide problem so our BOR could protect themselves.

Give it about a month or two.
graysongrundhoefer
Staff
Eball
Interesting...
Jack and DP
Looks like Coach Hopson is saying the administration doesn't support his program.
Banned BarleyMcDougal
It looks like Briles isn't getting a job until the NCAA issue has passed. I don't know if he deserves or doesn't deserve this social media justice blowback as it relates to rape/sexual assault, but I can tell you that the medium of social media has begun to replace genuine dialogue and reason with madness.
Aberzombie1892
graysongrundhoefer said:

On this note, it's obvious that USM is not going to hire Briles. If that is not quite clear, read here -

https://www.sunherald.com/sports/college/conference-usa/university-of-southern-mississippi/article225529890.html

Not hiring Briles until the NCAA investigation is complete was the only logical outcome.
PartyBear
I would have thought the HC would have already cleared this with administration before hand. I also would have thought they had unofficial word from the NCAA that Briles is clear and there would be no show cause on him otherwise none of this made sense as I was saying yesterday.
Banned BarleyMcDougal
PartyBear said:

I would have thought the HC would have already cleared this with administration before hand. I also would have thought they had unofficial word from the NCAA that Briles is clear and there would be no show cause on him otherwise none of this made sense as I was saying yesterday.
Interim AD? Yes. President? Maybe not. I'll bet that the USM prez is gone in a year or two just because football boosters run the show at every school.
BUBear24
PartyBear said:

I stay out of this CAB debate but if he was cleared I don't know why he would be the one asking for the extension on the ncaa ruling announcement.
Banned BarleyMcDougal
BUBear24 said:

PartyBear said:

I stay out of this CAB debate but if he was cleared I don't know why he would be the one asking for the extension on the ncaa ruling announcement.
Again, I'm positive that the attorneys are the ones driving opinions here. Maybe Lanier/Cannon feel good about their chances vs the NCAA.
Beaneater
what's worse in social media today? to be a republican trump supporter or to be art briles?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.