Football
Sponsored by

Southern Miss football set to interview former Baylor head coach Art Briles

45,923 Views | 316 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by boognish_bear
boognish_bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This doesn't seem to be setting off nearly the volume of social media angst that happened when the Canadian Football team tried to hire him as OC. There is certainly some angst....but not at the levels seen the last time.

I'm betting So Miss is about to pull the trigger on the hire and just fade the heat for a few days and move on.
PartyBear
I assume if those who lacked institutional control are still involved (on the BOR) or employed by the university, we wont get much credit for "time served" on our sentence. To put it in terms of criminal justice.
Forest Bueller
BarleyMcDougal said:

Forest Bueller said:

PrideBU said:

The people who defend Art, still, on here probably sat around the campfire with Clayton Williams and laughed when he said women should just enjoy an imminent rape...

That being said, if Briles launders his name by getting hired, will he finally get that statue next to RG3?
This has to be one of the dumbest posts I've ever seen. Possibly USM is aware of what the NCAA investigation did not find and feel more comfortable with an interview of him.

What does Clayton Williams and his male chauvinist pig self have to do with Briles? Nothing.
Hyperbole is an internet staple, bud! And if you don't like it, I suggest something stupid like "talking to your family" or "doing something nice for someone." Not me. I'm digging in!
Hahaha.
PartyBear
boognish_bear said:

This doesn't seem to be setting off nearly the volume of social media angst that happened when the Canadian Football team tried to hire him as OC. There is certainly some angst....but not at the levels seen the last time.

I'm betting So Miss is about to pull the trigger on the hire and just fade the heat for a few days and move on.

Then once Briles is back in after perhaps only a season, he will be back in play for HC jobs.
xiledinok
PartyBear said:

boognish_bear said:

Then once Briles is back in after perhaps only a season, he will be back in play for HC jobs.

Will you be headed to the Southern Piss board to get pumped about C USA football?
YoakDaddy
xiledinok said:

PartyBear said:

boognish_bear said:

Will you be headed to the Southern Piss board to get pumped about C USA football?

After the Big 12 folds in 2024, we're all gonna have to get pumped about C USA football.
Aberzombie1892
PartyBear said:

It sounds like this is going to happen if coaches of other sports there are endorsing it. Which begs the question why when there is a show cause hanging over his head, unless they have the unofficial word he is cleared and he will not be sanctioned.

I will be highly pissed if the NCAA declared Briles clean but sanctions the university because it did not clean out the high level administrators who actually were involved in wrong doing. It is going to be at revolution levels I think at that point. If the BOR and current administration thought May of 2016 through now has been rough, they havent seen anything yet if that is the ultimate outcome of all of this.
That's unlikely to happen - only four months ago, the NCAA indicated that it was likely to hit Briles with a failure to promote an atmosphere of compliance, and it's not likely that that would change significantly to Briles' benefit at this point.
xiledinok
YoakDaddy said:

xiledinok said:

PartyBear said:

boognish_bear said:

After the Big 12 folds in 2024, we're all gonna have to get pumped about C USA football.

This ain't TAPPS. Those tv executives run the show and they are not taking away potential tv markets. Once teams get out of G5, the teams are not getting kicked out of Power 5.
PartyBear
xiledinok said:

PartyBear said:

boognish_bear said:

As usual you make no sense.
PartyBear
Aberzombie1892 said:

PartyBear said:

It sounds like this is going to happen if coaches of other sports there are endorsing it. Which begs the question why when there is a show cause hanging over his head, unless they have the unofficial word he is cleared and he will not be sanctioned.

I will be highly pissed if the NCAA declared Briles clean but sanctions the university because it did not clean out the high level administrators who actually were involved in wrong doing. It is going to be at revolution levels I think at that point. If the BOR and current administration thought May of 2016 through now has been rough, they havent seen anything yet if that is the ultimate outcome of all of this.
That's unlikely to happen - only four months ago, the NCAA indicated that it was likely to hit Briles with a failure to promote an atmosphere of compliance, and it's not likely that that would change significantly to Briles' benefit at this point.
What you say makes sense and I recall that. However I'm curious as to why Southern Miss would be on the verge of this then if that is all still the case. Perhaps Briles has been unofficially notified he will be given a 3 year show cause with credit for the 16, 17 and 18 season.
Banned BarleyMcDougal
xiledinok said:

YoakDaddy said:

xiledinok said:

PartyBear said:

boognish_bear said:

This ain't TAPPS. Those tv executives run the show and they are not taking away potential tv markets. Once teams get out of G5, the teams are not getting kicked out of Power 5.
How are they ridding themselves of tv markets by pushing teams to separate conferences? Consolidation isn't dismantling.
Jacques Strap
boognish_bear said:

I'm no expert but their media plan seems solid. Leak they they are going to interview him (not offer him or they already hired him) and see what the blow-back is. Since they didn't get a bunch of fans storming the Admin building like Tennessee did with Greg Schiano then perhaps next they say they are "in negotiations" and see if there is blow back. If not maybe they get comfortable they can go ahead and hire him.
xiledinok
BarleyMcDougal said:

xiledinok said:

YoakDaddy said:

xiledinok said:

PartyBear said:

boognish_bear said:

How are they ridding themselves of tv markets by pushing teams to separate conferences? Consolidation isn't dismantling.

They aren't going to dump tv markets. It's more about number of household in states than winning. Nebraska brought very little to tv because it was in a small state.
Banned BarleyMcDougal
xiledinok said:

BarleyMcDougal said:

xiledinok said:

YoakDaddy said:

xiledinok said:

PartyBear said:

boognish_bear said:

They aren't going to dump tv markets. It's more about number of household in states than winning. Nebraska brought very little to tv because it was in a small state.
The Big 12, Disney and Fox aren't relying on the Waco tv market, unfortunately. The Big 12 could easily replace Baylor with Cincinnati or Tulane and it would be business as usual. That's just the truth.
EvilTroyAndAbed
xiledinok said:

PartyBear said:

boognish_bear said:

One can root for Baylor and Briles at the same time.
xiledinok
BarleyMcDougal said:

xiledinok said:

BarleyMcDougal said:

xiledinok said:

YoakDaddy said:

xiledinok said:

PartyBear said:

boognish_bear said:

The Big 12, Disney and Fox aren't relying on the Waco tv market, unfortunately. The Big 12 could easily replace Baylor with Cincinnati or Tulane and it would be business as usual. That's just the truth.

No, that's not how it will work. The networks have partnered with these schools. They aren't turning around and stabbing them in the back. The networks wanted to previously work with Baylor but that would have meant a difficult game added in non conference.
REX
xiledinok said:

BarleyMcDougal said:

xiledinok said:

YoakDaddy said:

xiledinok said:

PartyBear said:

boognish_bear said:

You are having a really bad week aren't you?
xiledinok

Not at all. This is really the victory dance you were planning?

REX said:

xiledinok said:

BarleyMcDougal said:

xiledinok said:

YoakDaddy said:

xiledinok said:

PartyBear said:

boognish_bear said:

You are having a really bad week aren't you?
ScottS
I still don't know what Briles did to get fired at Baylor.
Eball
ScottS said:

I still don't know what Briles did to get fired at Baylor.
no one does...
Banned BarleyMcDougal
xiledinok said:

BarleyMcDougal said:

xiledinok said:

BarleyMcDougal said:

xiledinok said:

YoakDaddy said:

xiledinok said:

PartyBear said:

boognish_bear said:

No, that's not how it will work. The networks have partnered with these schools. They aren't turning around and stabbing them in the back. The networks wanted to previously work with Baylor but that would have meant a difficult game added in non conference.
The only thing driving the bus from here on out is revenue from eyeballs, whether that be subscription based or via advertising revenue. There's no "stabbing" anybody in the back, just business. Hopefully Baylor can maintain its standing in a P5.
xiledinok
BarleyMcDougal said:

xiledinok said:

BarleyMcDougal said:

xiledinok said:

BarleyMcDougal said:

xiledinok said:

YoakDaddy said:

xiledinok said:

PartyBear said:

boognish_bear said:

The only thing driving the bus from here on out is revenue from eyeballs, whether that be subscription based or via advertising revenue. There's no "stabbing" anybody in the back, just business. Hopefully Baylor can maintain its standing in a P5.

It appears they will be able to with post season appearances in every sport. I think a Texas market might mean more to tv than a middle America market.
I agree about the revenue issues. Men's basketball is going to face the hardest road with a minor league basketball ball league having a tv contract with 18-22 years as the primary players.
Jack and DP
Jack and DP
Wichitabear
I think it is time for Briles to get a second chance. Yall know why we couldn't keep Briles. We screwed up and everything had to go to clean it up.
PartyBear
If Briles is exhonerated by the NCAA then it is clear he wasn't one who had to go.
Doc Holliday
PartyBear said:

If Briles is exhonerated by the NCAA then it is clear he wasn't one who had to go.
If Baylor couldn't put up enough evidence and had to settle with him...the NCAA will have absolutely nothing on him.
Bear8084
Doc Holliday said:

PartyBear said:

If Baylor couldn't put up enough evidence and had to settle with him...the NCAA will have absolutely nothing on him.

"Lack of Institutional Control and failure to promote an atmosphere of compliance".

Yup, sounds like nothing.
Brownbw
Good luck to you Art. Maybe the best football coach Baylor will ever have.
Wichitabear
Yep. You get it
REX
Bear8084 said:

Doc Holliday said:

PartyBear said:

"Lack of Institutional Control and failure to promote an atmosphere of compliance".

Yup, sounds like nothing.

So what institutional controls were lacking?
Serious question.
Would the ncaa go there? What if they got called out?
Stop and think CAB has nothing to lose
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
The local 6:00 PM newscast here in Hattiesburg said that after the interview, Art Briles was introduced to the players. I think that is a very good sign for Briles.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
Wichitabear
That's good. A good place to start for new beginnings. I wish him well. He has learned a lot from the past. Be alert,don't assume, and monitor.
Reverend
The fat lady hasn't sung yet.
Reverend
He'll be back.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.