Baylor Podcast
Football
Christoph Henle
Terrel Bernard
Blake Lynch
Football
Football
Baylor Football

Game Day Thread: Baylor (1-0) vs. UTSA (1-0)

September 6, 2019

The Baylor Bears (1-0) meet the UTSA Road Runners (1-0) in the second game of the 2019 season  on Saturday, Sept. 7 at 3 p.m. CT inside McLane Stadium.

Why SicEm365 Premium? Read about it here!

Baylor vs. UTSA Articles

Title Author
UTSA QB a reason for concern Colt Barber
It’s not Gerry’s time, but Baylor needs to use him J.D. PicKell
Areas of concern J.J. Joe
1-on-1 with Matt Rhule David Smoak
How to counter UTSA’s defense Sam Bradshaw
Baylor vs. UTSA Key Players Grayson Grundhoefer
Record Book Review Brian Ethridge
Confidence on defense a huge step Colt Barber

DEPTH CHART | SCHEDULE | BIG 12 STANDINGS | COACHING STAFF

Matt Rhule Quote of the Week...

“I didn’t like our rush lanes at times. The quarterback was able to get outside and that’s certainly going to be an issue with Frank Harris this week who’s a dynamic runner. We have to improve in that regard. We left some guys wide open in flats. Guys just kind of coming out of coverage. They hit a wheel route on us to get the one drive going. They had some guys open as they scrambled around so that has to improve. I didn’t like our pass protection. Quarterback got hit too many times, even though we took no sacks he got hit too many times.

Baylor’s Key Players

Quarterback #12 Charlie Brewer

Brewer started off the season with a very solid performance against a weak opponent. Brewer was 21-of-31 for 199 yards and three touchdowns in just a tad over one half of action.

Left guard #52 Sam Tecklenburg

Coach Rhule was not happy with the Bears pass protection and the inability to run the ball up the middle. Well that was against a mediocre defensive front from Stephen F. Austin and the challenge will be much bigger this week against UTSA.

Defensive end #93 James Lynch

Lynch earned his first sack of the season in week one and looked as good as ever. He appears to have made some nice strides this offseason and I think the preseason hype was real. 

Linebacker #4 Clay Johnston

So far all week the Baylor defense has been hearing about San Antonio high school legend and UTSA quarterback Frank Harris. I think Clay Johnston will be taking this as a major personal challenge. 

UTSA Key Players

Quarterback #7 Frank Harris — He was in the 2017 class but tore his ACL, then last year was expected to be the starter and tore his ACL again.

Running Back #23 Sincere McCormick — McCormick was a monster at Converse Judson where he racked up 3,407 yards and 43 touchdowns. 

Defensive Tackle #95 Jaylon Haynes — A 2017 Conference USA All-Freshman Team player from 2017 had a solid sophomore year last season but appears to have made big strides this season.

Defensive End #98 Lorenzo Dantzler — The 6-2, 245-pound defensive end appears to be the favorite to lead the Roadrunners in sacks for the 2019 season. 

Linebacker #12 Andrew Martell — Whelp Andrew Martell you have big shoes to fill. The 6-1, 220-pounds linebacker played in 11 games last year at the safety position and converted to linebacker over the off-season. 

Discussion from...

Game Day Thread: Baylor (1-0) vs. UTSA (1-0)

33,081 Views | 228 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by boognish_bear
bear2be2
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Jacques Strap said:

Who is the Jones kid that scored on the long run? RFr or True fr?
True freshman
Bear8084
Karab said:

bear2be2 said:

Karab said:

bear2be2 said:

Timbear said:

Is the UTSA D suddenly playing great pass defense, or is Gerry just struggling?
Bohanon hasn't had time to throw. He's having to run for his life every play behind this second line.

Yeah, but at the same time the few times he did have a pocket he doesn't use it.

Gerry clearly needs to develop his passing skills
I agree there. But it's hard to stand in the pocket and throw when you're having to bail to avoid pressure more often than not.

Agreed. I feel bad for how many hits Charlie has taken because of this O-Line.

I think he is going to get destroyed by some Big 12 teams

Bohannon was behind mostly 2nd string O-line, the starters looked better today.
Karab
Jacques Strap said:

I think Qualon Jones is a True Freshman
Karab
Bear8084 said:

Karab said:

bear2be2 said:

Karab said:

bear2be2 said:

Timbear said:

Is the UTSA D suddenly playing great pass defense, or is Gerry just struggling?
Bohanon hasn't had time to throw. He's having to run for his life every play behind this second line.

Yeah, but at the same time the few times he did have a pocket he doesn't use it.

Gerry clearly needs to develop his passing skills
I agree there. But it's hard to stand in the pocket and throw when you're having to bail to avoid pressure more often than not.

Agreed. I feel bad for how many hits Charlie has taken because of this O-Line.

I think he is going to get destroyed by some Big 12 teams

Bohannon was behind mostly 2nd string O-line, the starters looked better today.

Was he? I figured we would have our first string O Line in longer since they need the practice
Jacques Strap
Karab said:

Jacques Strap said:

Thanks. He made two nice cuts on that run. I guess he will play in 4 games and redshirt given the RB depth but he looks like a great prospect. 88.16 so a high three star on 247
Karab
Jacques Strap said:

Karab said:

Jacques Strap said:

Thanks. He made two nice cuts on that run. I guess he will play in 4 games and redshirt given the RB depth but he looks like a great prospect

Yeah, it blows my mind how stacked we are at RB.

I didn't really pay attention and thought it was Abram who ran that one in until you brought it up
Jacques Strap
Well that was a great outcome assuming Brewer and Ebner are really okay and don't have some nagging injury thing,
Timbear
Great outcome, and coaching. Now , a week to rest up.
Mitch Henessey
Jacques Strap said:

Well that was a great outcome assuming Brewer and Ebner are really okay and don't have some nagging injury thing,
Never thought I'd say this after week 2, but it's a good time to have a bye to rest up and get healthy.
Assassin
A really solid game. And it was nice to see us back in the 60s again... there was a little deja-woowoo there
On Facebook at "Memories of...":
Dallas, Dallas Public, Texas, Texas Football, Texas Basketball, Texas Music. Come see us!
Jack Bauer
Looking ahead to next Saturday...cant find one exciting game worth a College Gameday visit...

Probably a good weekend to get chores done
DaRealBears
How many rushing yards did bohanon end up with? I had to leave to go to dinner and missed most of the 4th
Assassin
DaRealBears said:

How many rushing yards did bohanon end up with? I had to leave to go to dinner and missed most of the 4th
7 carries for 93 yds, 4 of 7 for 15 passing
Dallas, Dallas Public, Texas, Texas Football, Texas Basketball, Texas Music. Come see us!
william
Dale?
mdanderson
What is up with the awful looking orange color of the BU in the middle of the field? I know I am not color blind but it looks orange to me.
Assassin
mdanderson said:

What is up with the awful looking orange color of the BU in the middle of the field? I know I am not color blind but it looks orange to me.
that yellowish orange on the unis today was not exactly pleasant to look at pre-game, I didnt care once we started scoring quite as much.

It did kinda look like we were ripping off the worst Oregon Ducks unforms though
Assassin
boognish_bear

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.