Football
Sponsored by

Should we consider going to SEC for easier conference games?

24,470 Views | 152 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by bear2be2
9b1deb4d-3b7d-4bad-9bdd-2
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'll hang up and listen
REvansBU71
We can consider it, sure. But that's a meaningless exercise as you have to be asked to join.
Any Trump

“And if you do-oo.....” - Lt. Hauk
9b1deb4d-3b7d-4bad-9bdd-2
REvansBU71 said:

We can consider it, sure. But that's a meaningless exercise as you have to be asked to join.
big brain thinking right here
historian
I think OP might be talking about our ooc scheduling. Of course, we do have Ole Miss to open the 2020 season, a home & home with Auburn coming up in a few years, and anticipate announcement of another SEC matchup in the future.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
If beating up on Vanderbilt or Tennessee makes it easier for us to beat Oklahoma, I vote YES!!!
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
contrario
I think it would be nice to play only 8 conference games, have a cupcake OOC game in week 10 and only have to play some of your conference members once or twice a decade, but still get credit for having those teams in your conference.
gobears20
Staff
Didn't Texas turn the SEC down due to their academic standards?

I would want ACC
Great Baylor Merchandise -> https://bit.ly/2M8DuHk
Mitch Blood Green
clubhi said:

I'll hang up and listen

Why would they play us? They don't play all comers.
historian
I expect many of them are afraid to play Baylor. I think that was true in 2013-2015 & probably even more so today. If not, they should be. Baylor has a better team than almost all of the SEC teams. I just hope they prove it Wednesday.
EvilTroyAndAbed
historian said:

I expect many of them are afraid to play Baylor. I think that was true in 2013-2015 & probably even more so today. If not, they should be. Baylor has a better team than almost all of the SEC teams. I just hope they prove it Wednesday.
I know one SEC team right now that Baylor isn't better than.
historian
No doubt. Then again, there are probably very few teams that are. Can anyone name a second SEC team that we wouldn't have a chance at beating?

I still believe we have a shot in the Sugar Bowl. I'm eager to see that one.
LTbear
Whole lotta stupid in this thread
Thee University
We should never play an SEC team until we get better in the OL and DL. Much better.

Chuckroast
Thee University said:

We should never play an SEC team until we get better in the OL and DL. Much better.

I agree with you that scheduling good OOC games is great for college football, yet I also agree with your sentiment here.
Timbear
Who did the CFP teams play in OOC? I'll bet almost all were cupcakes, and the SEC plays 4 non conf games not 3.
BearTruth13
Timbear said:

Who did the CFP teams play in OOC? I'll bet almost all were cupcakes, and the SEC plays 4 non conf games not 3.

LSU played Texas, Clemson played Aggie, Ohio State played Cincy. Oklahoma played UH (who sucks this year)
whitetrash
BearTruth13 said:

Timbear said:

LSU played Texas, Clemson played Aggie, Ohio State played Cincy. Oklahoma played UH (who sucks this year)

Cincy is the best of those 4.
Chuckroast
Timbear said:

I don't know about the playoff teams, but I think LSU scheduling TX was a gutsy move, and TX was ranked #10 at the time. Hindsight makes the game look less meaningful.

Off the top of my head in the SEC . . .

Georgia beat Notre Dame.

Auburn beat Oregon

Somebody - I think Alabama maybe, beat Louisville (who happened to be a little down this year)

I think it was Florida that beat Miami (who was also a little down) early in the season and also beat Florida State.

While the SEC does get to play an extra OOC team, the big dogs in the conference typically schedule historically good P5 teams OOC.
Chuckroast
whitetrash said:

BearTruth13 said:

Timbear said:

Cincy is the best of those 4.
Other SEC OOC games off the top of my head . . .

South Carolina vs. Clemson
A&M vs. Clemson
Georgia vs. GA Tech

Timbear
Thanks Chuck, well done.
Chuckroast
Timbear said:

Thanks Chuck, well done.
Thanks . . . I think the Big 12 does itself a disservice by only having 3 OOC games and playing no one of real import (other than Texas playing LSU) in those games. My gut tells me that this was a weak Big 12 this year, but because we have been a historically good conference, our teams get the benefit of the doubt in the rankings, and Baylor may be overrated this year as a result.

I'd love to see a lot more interconference matchups in college football.
bear2be2
Thee University said:

There's a massive gap between the top of the SEC and the rest of that league. I suspect we'll find out next year that we're quite well equipped to play the SEC's Ole Miss Rebels.

And while our O-line still needs a lot of work, you can't get much better than we've been on the defensive line this year. That unit is elite by every standard.
Canada2017
bear2be2 said:

Thee University said:

There's a massive gap between the top of the SEC and the rest of that league.

Yeah once you get passed Alabama, LSU, Georgia, Florida. and Auburn ...........
Timbear
If Baylor could go to the SEC East.
bear2be2
Canada2017 said:

bear2be2 said:

Thee University said:

Is this sarcasm? Because no one has argued that the top of that league isn't good. But there's a reason that none of the good teams in the SEC ever lose to anyone but the other good teams, which they may see once every eight years if they're in opposite divisions. The rest of that league is trash, your Aggies included.

Congrats on your bowl win, by the way. We beat that same team by 18 ... on the road ... with their starting quarterback ... and their Belitnikoff finalist receiver.
Chuckroast
Saying they are trash doesn't make it so. 10 SEC teams are in the top 25 for 5 year average recruiting rankings. Here's an article with the rankings: https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/college-football-recruiting-schools-with-best-class-rankings-on-average-over-the-past-five-years/

Only OU and UT (Nos 9 and 10) are in those rankings. The mid level SEC teams are good but get pummeled within their own conference. Ole Miss, Miss St, A&M, and Missouri have actually had some really good teams in the not too distant past. Only Ark and Vandy (my other team) are currently dismal, but they have actually had some success over the last decade. I'm happy for Kendal, but he has one heck of an uphill battle in the SEC west.
BearTruth13
bear2be2 said:

Canada2017 said:

bear2be2 said:

Thee University said:

Is this sarcasm? Because no one has argued that the top of that league isn't good. But there's a reason that none of the good teams in the SEC ever lose to anyone but the other good teams, which they may see once every eight years if they're in opposite divisions. The rest of that league is trash, your Aggies included.

Congrats on your bowl win, by the way. We beat that same team by 18 ... on the road ... with their starting quarterback ... and their Belitnikoff finalist receiver.

The sarcasm is that we are saying that only the "top" of the SEC is good. That is true if the "top" consists of 5 teams. The Big 12 has 1 or maybe 2 top teams. And one of them got absolutely **** on today.
Jorkel
Why would we go to the SEC when we got scrubs to play in the big 12
bear2be2
BearTruth13 said:

bear2be2 said:

Canada2017 said:

bear2be2 said:

Thee University said:

The sarcasm is that we are saying that only the "top" of the SEC is good. That is true if the "top" consists of 5 teams. The Big 12 has 1 or maybe 2 top teams. And one of them got absolutely **** on today.
It's a 14-team conference. Five teams is a little more than a third.

And your last sentence is utterly irrelevant to this discussion as no one is suggesting or has suggested that OU is better than LSU. In fact, I haven't made any claims whatsoever about the relative strength of the Big 12. But the success of the good teams in the SEC doesn't make the ****ty bottom half of that conference good.
Chuckroast
I am no fan of A&M. They lost 5 games this year which makes them sound pretty ordinary. But when you look at their schedule, they lost to Alabama, LSU, Auburn, Clemson, and Georgia. That is an absolute gauntlet. I hate to say it, but if they had played our schedule, they are no worse than 11-2 and possibly better. They gave good games to Clemson, Auburn, and Georgia. That being said, I would still love to play them again.
bear2be2
Chuckroast said:

I am no fan of A&M. They lost 5 games this year which makes them sound pretty ordinary. But when you look at their schedule, they lost to Alabama, LSU, Auburn, Clemson, and Georgia. That is an absolute gauntlet. I hate to say it, but if they had played our schedule, they are no worse than 11-2 and possibly better. They gave good games to Clemson, Auburn, and Georgia. That being said, I would still love to play them again.
Get out of here with that bull***** The only decent team A&M beat all season was missing its starting quarterback and best receiver. Playing a tough schedule doesn't make you a good team. Beating good teams does. And A&M got beat 50-7 by the last good team they played.

A&M was a thoroughly average team in the Big 12 and remains so in the SEC. They just get to claim their conference mates' wins now apparently.
BearTruth13
bear2be2 said:

BearTruth13 said:

bear2be2 said:

Canada2017 said:

bear2be2 said:

Thee University said:

And your last sentence is utterly irrelevant to this discussion as no one is suggesting or has suggested that OU is better than LSU. But the success of the good teams in the SEC doesn't make the ****ty bottom half of that conference good.

Ole Miss, Arkansas and Vandy are bad. Not Kansas bad though other than Arky. Missouri, Tennessee, Kentucky, SC are better than West Virginia and Tech. Miss St is better than TCU. Aggie is probably better than Okie State, Texas, ISU and K State. Florida, Auburn, Bama and Georgia are probably better than Baylor. LSU is clearly much better the OU.
BUBear24
Chuckroast said:

They barely beat OSU without their starting QB and leading WR... so a team we demolished they barely beat without the main pieces we faced. Would they be better than 7-5? Sure. Would they be 11-2? I'm not so sure, considering their Big12 track record.
Bear8084
Chuckroast said:

They didn't look all that good against Okie State. There's no saying what record they would've had with our schedule. They are and look like a paper tiger until proven otherwise, which really has never been proven.
bear2be2
BearTruth13 said:

bear2be2 said:

BearTruth13 said:

bear2be2 said:

Canada2017 said:

bear2be2 said:

Thee University said:

And your last sentence is utterly irrelevant to this discussion as no one is suggesting or has suggested that OU is better than LSU. But the success of the good teams in the SEC doesn't make the ****ty bottom half of that conference good.

Ole Miss, Arkansas and Vandy are bad. Not Kansas bad though other than Arky. Missouri, Tennessee, Kentucky, SC are better than West Virginia and Tech. Miss St is better than TCU. Aggie is probably better than Okie State, Texas, ISU and K State. Florida, Auburn, Bama and Georgia are probably better than Baylor. LSU is clearly much better the OU.
With the exception of LSU and OU, which again is irrelevant to this discussion, all of those teams are comparable. The SEC teams just have the advantage of an eight-game conference schedule and the media-driven narrative that LSU and Alabama being good somehow says something about the strength of Mississippi State or A&M.

A&M squeaked by an OSU team missing its starting quarterback and Tylan Wallace. I fail to see how that -- and losing to a bunch of good teams -- makes them better than anyone but a shorthanded OSU team.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.