Football
Sponsored by

Should we consider going to SEC for easier conference games?

24,486 Views | 152 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by bear2be2
tallman1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
We have to ask ourselves, who have we beaten? Who has OU beaten? Playing inferior teams and racking up wins doesn't make you a good team either. If the Big12 goes 1-4 in the bowl games this year (Baylor def. Georgia), then it proves that we/OU really haven't beaten quality teams. Several, we could have lost. Until the Big12 starts winning OOC games and Bowl games on a consistent bases, the narrative will be the same. Inferior conference and there is no way around that. May be hard to swallow for some, but it is what it is. And playing good teams tough, does mean something when measuring how good a team is. It doesn't change the record, but it is a measuring stick on the level that you can compete at. Now beating up on inferior teams, like OU did, shows up and exposes you when you play a good team. Let's see how this bowl season shakes out for us and the Big12 and pick this conversation up after that.
Jorkel
tallman1 said:

We have to ask ourselves, who have we beaten? Who has OU beaten? Playing inferior teams and racking up wins doesn't make you a good team either. If the Big12 goes 1-4 in the bowl games this year (Baylor def. Georgia), then it proves that we/OU really haven't beaten quality teams. Several, we could have lost. Until the Big12 starts winning OOC games and Bowl games on a consistent bases, the narrative will be the same. Inferior conference and there is no way around that. May be hard to swallow for some, but it is what it is. And playing good teams tough, does mean something when measuring how good a team is. It doesn't change the record, but it is a measuring stick on the level that you can compete at. Now beating up on inferior teams, like OU did, shows up and exposes you when you play a good team. Let's see how this bowl season shakes out for us and the Big12 and pick this conversation up after that.

1-5. There is a danger of going 0-6 or 1-5 in bowl games...making the big 12 look pathetic. We were not a good conference this year outside of Baylor and OU everyone else was meh or bad.
Bear8084
tallman1 said:

Works for Clemson.
bear2be2
tallman1 said:

A&M's best win was a three-point win in Houston against a Oklahoma State team that was missing its starting quarterback and a Belitnikoff finalist at receiver.

We beat that same team with those players in Stillwater by 18.

A&M's second-best win was over a 6-6 Mississippi State team that lost at home to Kansas State.

We beat that same Kansas State team by 19 on the road.

A&M's third-best win was over either 4-8 South Carolina or 4-8 Ole Miss.

To suggest that A&M is Baylor's equal -- or really even close -- on the football field this season is giving them way too much credit for losing a bunch of games (they didn't play Clemson, Alabama or LSU tough) and blatantly disrespecting what our team has done.

And as I've said before, I couldn't give two ****s about conference strength or perception as long as Baylor wins the games on its own schedule. We've done that in 11 of the 13 games we've played so far, losing twice to a top-10 Oklahoma team in games we very easily could have won.

And all Oklahoma was exposed of being on Saturday was a clear step behind LSU. Guess what, so is literally every other team in the country (even SEC country) except for Ohio State and Clemson. There's a reason that game had a two-score spread.
tallman1
Yes, I agree. I'm holding that 1 win for Baylor, but yes, 0-5 is a possibility.
tallman1
But, when they get to the Bowl season/Playoffs they perform and aren't exposed. There were 2 parts to the equation and your missing the point on one of them. OOC schedule and inferior conference (I'm guessing this is what your saying works for Clemson) and when you get your shot...WIN or at least don't get run off the field (Clemson is successful in this category). Big12 hasn't been. I'd like to see Baylor begin to change that.
bear2be2
tallman1 said:

But, when they get to the Bowl season/Playoffs they perform and aren't exposed. There were 2 parts to the equation and your missing the point on one of them. OOC schedule and inferior conference (I'm guessing this is what your saying works for Clemson) and when you get your shot...WIN or at least don't get run off the field (Clemson is successful in this category). Big12 hasn't been. I'd like to see Baylor begin to change that.
They're only exposed if you go into those games thinking they're as good as the two or three best teams in the country. I haven't in a good long while, and especially didn't this year. I think it was pretty much universally accepted that the fourth playoff team was going to get sacrificed to the No. 1 seed -- whether that ended up being LSU or Ohio State.

Oklahoma has a great program. They're a top-10 team virtually every year. They're not on the level of the elite of the elite, but that's true of everyone but Alabama (most years), LSU, Ohio State and Clemson.

That the two or three best teams are so much better than everyone else is a problem for college football. Alabama, Clemson and Ohio State have broken the sport.
tallman1
But they would be in the top 3 of the Big12 and if Baylor was in the SEC, I could see them being where A&M is currently. I believe Baylor takes care of a depleted Georgia team and continues its ascension on the national scene.

I'm not taking a away from what Baylor has accomplished, we haven't faced anywhere near what A&M has faced. The Aggies had to play the Alabama Crimson Tide, Auburn Tigers and LSU Tigers in the SEC West, the Georgia Bulldogs in a SEC crossover and the Clemson Tigers in nonconference action. Have you Doug deeper into the games A&M played and checked out their injuries? They have missed guys throughout the year. Heck, they loss their top 2 running backs early in the season and had to rely on a freshman all year. Spiller was the only scholarship RB on the roster against OKST and had to us a converted QB for his backup. The Aggies also were without star defensive tackle Justin Madubuike, who declared for the NFL draft against OKST. Don't highlight one team, not being at full strength and not the other.

You'd have to do a little more research vs throwing out margin of victories on couple of games because the consensus, outside of our fan base is pretty much along the lines of what I'm saying. Most of what I read are true fans, talking with their heart, not their head or just trolling.

We don't have the depth or offensive line to take on a schedule like that yet. I'm hoping we get there, but let's not get ahead of ourselves. I'm with you on one thing, I want Baylor to win all the games on their schedule!
bear2be2
tallman1 said:

But they would be in the top 3 of the Big12 and if Baylor was in the SEC, I could see them being where A&M is currently. I believe Baylor takes care of a depleted Georgia team and continues its ascension on the national scene.

I'm not taking a away from what Baylor has accomplished, we haven't faced anywhere near what A&M has faced. The Aggies had to play the Alabama Crimson Tide, Auburn Tigers and LSU Tigers in the SEC West, the Georgia Bulldogs in a SEC crossover and the Clemson Tigers in nonconference action. Have you Doug deeper into the games A&M played and checked out their injuries? They have missed guys throughout the year. Heck, they loss their top 2 running backs early in the season and had to rely on a freshman all year. Spiller was the only scholarship RB on the roster against OKST and had to us a converted QB for his backup. The Aggies also were without star defensive tackle Justin Madubuike, who declared for the NFL draft against OKST. Don't highlight one team, not being at full strength and not the other.

You'd have to do a little more research vs throwing out margin of victories on couple of games because the consensus, outside of our fan base is pretty much along the lines of what I'm saying. Most of what I read are true fans, talking with their heart, not their head or just trolling.

We don't have the depth or offensive line to take on a schedule like that yet. I'm hoping we get there, but let's not get ahead of ourselves. I'm with you on one thing, I want Baylor to win all the games on their schedule!
Based on what exactly? Their thoroughly unimpressive win over a shorthanded Oklahoma State team or their blowout wins over ****ty teams from Mississippi State and South Carolina? Or was it their one-score wins over Arkansas and Ole Miss?

A&M might be the third best team in the Big 12. I think it far more likely that they'd fall somewhere in that mid-tier mashup with Texas, Oklahoma State, Kansas State and Iowa State.
Chuckroast
bear2be2 said:

Chuckroast said:

Redbrickbear said:

Chuckroast said:

Redbrickbear said:

The jizz jars love being in a conference where they get dominated by the top 5 programs but can stick their bird chests out about beating up on the other short gimps like miss state, Kentucky, and arkansas.
Mississippi State . . . who has had records of 10-3, 9-5 (3 times), and 8-5 (twice) since 2010 with a final ranking as high as 11 one of those years. Also had bowl wins over Michigan, Louisville, and NC State during that stretch.

Miss state had a once in a program hire Dan Mullen.

They have since crashed back to earth....their program has only won one conference title in their history and that was in 1941.

They have a losing record all time.

The fact that aggys feel the need to artificially prop up the reputations of historically horrible programs like miss state tells you all you need to know about the aggy mentality lol.
Regardless of ancient history, Miss St has had a good program while A&M has been in the SEC. Beating them over the last 9-10 years is noteworthy.

It was noteworthy when Mullen was there. It's not anymore.
They'd be in the top half of the Big 12 right now.
bear2be2
Chuckroast said:

bear2be2 said:

Chuckroast said:

Redbrickbear said:

Chuckroast said:

Redbrickbear said:

The jizz jars love being in a conference where they get dominated by the top 5 programs but can stick their bird chests out about beating up on the other short gimps like miss state, Kentucky, and arkansas.
Mississippi State . . . who has had records of 10-3, 9-5 (3 times), and 8-5 (twice) since 2010 with a final ranking as high as 11 one of those years. Also had bowl wins over Michigan, Louisville, and NC State during that stretch.

They have since crashed back to earth....their program has only won one conference title in their history and that was in 1941.

The fact that aggys feel the need to artificially prop up the reputations of historically horrible programs like miss state tells you all you need to know about the aggy mentality lol.
Regardless of ancient history, Miss St has had a good program while A&M has been in the SEC. Beating them over the last 9-10 years is noteworthy.

They couldn't beat Kansas State at home, so ...

This nonsense has to stop. Mississippi State, which got throttled by every good team it played, is struggling with a really average Louisville team right now. That team is trash.
Chuckroast
Bear8084 said:

tallman1 said:

Works for Clemson.
True - but they at least annihilated the competition.
REX
bear2be2 said:

Chuckroast said:

bear2be2 said:

Chuckroast said:

Redbrickbear said:

Chuckroast said:

Redbrickbear said:

This nonsense has to stop. Mississippi State, which got throttled by every good team it played, is struggling with a really average Louisville team right now. That team is trash.

Okay b2 you win. SEC sucks and the B12 may the best conference ever this year. Hurry up and answer your Mom is going to want her phone back
Happy New year
bear2be2
REX said:

bear2be2 said:

Chuckroast said:

bear2be2 said:

Chuckroast said:

Redbrickbear said:

Chuckroast said:

Redbrickbear said:

Okay b2 you win. SEC sucks and the B12 may the best conference ever this year. Hurry up and answer your Mom is going to want her phone back
Happy New year

I have said neither of those things, you clown. In fact, I've explicit stated the opposite in this very thread. I'm just tired of people using the success of that conference's good teams to prop up the ****ty ones at the bottom.
Chuckroast
bear2be2 said:

Chuckroast said:

bear2be2 said:

Chuckroast said:

Redbrickbear said:

Chuckroast said:

Redbrickbear said:

Miss St, Iowa State, K state, Oklahoma St, Louisville . . . there's probably not a whole lot of difference between any of them right now. They are all average teams but not doormats (I say this acknowledging that OSU has been much better than this year historically). Louisville actually tied for the 3rd best conference record in their 14 team conference. I think A&M based on a 24-10 loss to Clemson, and 1 score losses to Auburn and Georgia showed they at least belonged on the field with good teams and would be favored in any Big 12 matchup other than OU and possibly Baylor.
bear2be2
Chuckroast said:

bear2be2 said:

Chuckroast said:

bear2be2 said:

Chuckroast said:

Redbrickbear said:

Chuckroast said:

Redbrickbear said:

Miss St, Iowa State, K state, Oklahoma St, Louisville . . . there's probably not a whole lot of difference between any of them right now. They are all average teams but not doormats (I say this acknowledging that OSU has been much better than this year historically). Louisville actually tied for the 3rd best conference record in their 14 team conference. I think A&M based on a 24-10 loss to Clemson, and 1 score losses to Auburn and Georgia showed they at least belonged on the field with good teams and would be favored in any Big 12 matchup other than OU and possibly Baylor.
The ACC actually is what some here believe the Big 12 to be. After Clemson, no one in that league is particularly good. Louisville would have struggled to beat TCU, West Virginia and Tech this season.

To me, A&M is what you believe Mississippi State to be, and Mississippi State is a clear step behind that. They'd compete and post a 6-6, 7-5 type record in the Big 12, but wouldn't beat any of the top four or five teams.
bear2be2
Chuckroast said:

bear2be2 said:

Chuckroast said:

bear2be2 said:

Chuckroast said:

Redbrickbear said:

Chuckroast said:

Redbrickbear said:

And A&M was no more competitive with Clemson than Texas was with us. They scored with six seconds left to make that game look closer than it actually was.

The Auburn and Georgia games were competitive, and I'll give the Aggies those. But both of those teams are pretty average offensively, which plays into the Aggies' strength. A&M was solid defensively this season, but they struggled to move and score the ball every time they played a good team, which is why I don't think they'd be any better than third or fourth in the Big 12.
Chuckroast
bear2be2 said:

Chuckroast said:

bear2be2 said:

Chuckroast said:

bear2be2 said:

Chuckroast said:

Redbrickbear said:

Chuckroast said:

Redbrickbear said:

The ACC actually is what some here believe the Big 12 to be. After Clemson, no one in that league is particularly good. Louisville would have struggled to beat TCU, West Virginia and Tech this season.

To me, A&M is what you believe Mississippi State to be, and Mississippi State is a clear step behind that. They'd compete and post a 6-6, 7-5 type record in the Big 12, but wouldn't beat any of the top four or five teams.
A&M beat Miss St by 21 if I remember correctly. Their recruiting class average rank over the last 5 years is #11. I think they are a lot better than you give them credit for. I agree with you that they are a big notch ahead of Miss St. Miss St is down some this year, but I don't think they are a doormat type of program.
bear2be2
Chuckroast said:

bear2be2 said:

Chuckroast said:

bear2be2 said:

Chuckroast said:

bear2be2 said:

Chuckroast said:

Redbrickbear said:

Chuckroast said:

Redbrickbear said:

A&M beat Miss St by 21 if I remember correctly. Their recruiting class average rank over the last 5 years is #11. I think they are a lot better than you give them credit for. I agree with you that they are a big notch ahead of Miss St. Miss St is down some this year, but I don't think they are a doormat type of program.
I've never said that Mississippi State is a doormat. Just that the SEC's 6-6 and 7-5 teams are no better/less flawed than those out of the other Power 5 conferences (which is being proven in this bowl game). A&M is the exception because of the schedule they played this year, but I still think they'd win eight or nine games in the Big 12, rather than the 10 or 11 people have suggested here. They're just not that type of team (which was also proven this bowl season IMO).
Jorkel
BigBoyFootball said:

LOL......Good thing Georgia's good players had no interest in playing this game. You got trucked by the second teamers of an SEC EAST team......Trucked!!!! Yeah you belong, learn your place.

Hey buddy..I never once said Baylor should play in the SEC. apologize to me now!
tallman1
Now that Baylor and Texas A&M has both played Georgia, with us playing a severely depleted Georgia team and them playing a full strength, still playing for a playoff spot Georgia... It's safe to say that Texas A&M could compete with Baylor and the Big12 is an inferior conference. If we were in the SEC, we'd be right where Texas A&M is and visa versa. We are getting there, just not yet!
syme
When you have 5! losses, it no longer matters who they are to. Because you have 5 of them. It's makes you irrelevant in the national picture. Thanks for watching yet another prime time Baylor game now Get over it!
tallman1
If you are replying to my comment I don't have anything to get over. I'm a die hard Baylor fan in all sports, but I'm an honest one as well. I'm a Texas A&M fan as well because my best friend played for them and I have a son that goes there, so I can be objective. Some can't and I see it from both sides. The fan hate for the other program. As far as Texas A&M being relevant on the national stage (which that's not really what the discussion I was commenting on was about, maybe you just jumped in without reading through), well they are relevant to recruits and until we are relevant (on that level to recruits), we will struggle against the athleticism and depth of the SEC. We have the right culture, coaching in place...X's & O's, just need the Jimmies & Joes.
Bear8084
tallman1 said:

If you are replying to my comment I don't have anything to get over. I'm a die hard Baylor fan in all sports, but I'm an honest one as well. I'm a Texas A&M fan as well because my best friend played for them and I have a son that goes there, so I can be objective. Some can't and I see it from both sides. The fan hate for the other program. As far as Texas A&M being relevant on the national stage (which that's not really what the discussion I was commenting on was about, maybe you just jumped in without reading through), well they are relevant to recruits and until we are relevant (on that level to recruits), we will struggle against the athleticism and depth of the SEC. We have the right culture, coaching in place...X's & O's, just need the Jimmies & Joes.

Beat an SEC team last season and played it pretty close against Georgia tonight, even with awful refs.
tallman1
I know if I continue to respond, I'm going to seem anti-Baylor, which I'm not and I'm the most pro-Baylor person I know, but we see where Vanderbilt is (bottom dweller in the SEC East, which is the weaker side of the SEC). Not to down play any of our accomplishments, because that was a good win for us as an up and coming program. I'm talking about as a top 2 team in the Big12 being able to compete with the top teams in the SEC.
Bear8084
tallman1 said:

I know if I continue to respond, I'm going to seem anti-Baylor, which I'm not and I'm the most pro-Baylor person I know, but we see where Vanderbilt is (bottom dweller in the SEC East, which is the weaker side of the SEC). Not to down play any of our accomplishments, because that was a good win for us as an up and coming program. I'm talking about as a top 2 team in the Big12 being able to compete with the top teams in the SEC.

You said SEC, that was an SEC win.

We competed pretty decent against Georgia in the 2nd half and almost came back. Not there yet, no, but it wasn't some crazy blowout.
bear2be2
tallman1 said:

Georgia was clearly the better team, and we've got a ways to go talent-wise to reach that level, but we competed with them tonight. Just took too long to adjust what they were doing in the first half. We dominated the second half and would have likely put some serious pressure on them if Hasty or Henle could have caught a first-down pass on the second drive of the third quarter.
BearTruth13
Bear8084 said:

tallman1 said:

You said SEC, that was an SEC win.

We competed pretty decent against Georgia in the 2nd half and almost came back. Not there yet, no, but it wasn't some crazy blowout.

We clearly are behind Bama, Georgia, LSU, Florida and Auburn in three SEC. Probably about even with the Aggies. Very disappointing.
tallman1
Oh yeah, we are getting there. It's just the depth of the top tier SEC teams is a real thing. They missed a lot of players and still was able to play well against us at full strength. Our offense has to produce and once our O-Line develops and catches up with our skilled positions, we will take another step. I'm proud of these guys and happy with the direction the program is headed. My part in this discussion, was specifically focused on the fact that Texas A&M, though they have 5 losses (note: check their injuries throughout the year as well), shouldn't be considers a bad team and that they would definitely compete in the Big12. Just tried to bring some perspective to the conversation.
tallman1
That was mainly the point I was trying to make.
syme
Hypothetical comparisons of how a 5 loss team would do in another conference Does Not Matter. Because It didn't happen. Actually being in the playoff picture in real life and playing in nationally televised prime time games is what matters, it's what makes for memorable seasons, and it's what's fun for the fan base. You really seem to be struggling with the big picture here.
tallman1
I agree!
tallman1
I'm enjoying the big picture, but that is not what the discussion was about. I was trying to stay on task, not jump around and change the narrative. If you want to discuss big picture, national stage, and so on...start another discussion for it and I'll participate. The OP mentioned going to the SEC for easier conference games.
BearTruth13
syme said:

Hypothetical comparisons of how a 5 loss team would do in another conference Does Not Matter. Because It didn't happen. Actually being in the playoff picture in real life and playing in nationally televised prime time games is what matters, it's what makes for memorable seasons, and it's what's fun for the fan base. You really seem to be struggling with the big picture here.

With that argument, we should just drop to the AAC and go 12-0! Then we will have memorable seasons every year!

Clearly we are not a top 15 team. I'll take 11 wins but I'll always remember it was against mainly terrible opponents. And that we lost the only games we played against good teams.
Jorkel
I bet A&M could have gotten to 10 wins or something in the big 12 this year...it was a scrappy league of mediocre teams and 2 good teams that proved they weren't elite teams in Baylor and OU. I don't know if Baylor would have faired better than A&M in the SEC west. We'd beat the teams we were supposed to beat and hopefully played the top teams close.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.