The Big 12 has sent a "cease and desist" letter to ESPN

19,641 Views | 202 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by RedBear05
gobears20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Bear8084
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Finally, some balls.
PartyBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It wont stand up as to ESPN. The media is allowed to ask questions and see what is going on. Anyone who the press seeks to question can say no comment. But you cant stop the press from looking into things and asking questions. True it isnt government seeking to stop the press from looking into things. But still there has to be a pretty compelling interest.
gobears20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
&ct=g
OsoVerde
How long do you want to ignore this user?
PartyBear said:

It wont stand up as to ESPN. The media is allowed to ask questions and see what is going on. Anyone who the press seeks to question can say no comment. But you cant stop the press from looking into things and asking questions. True it isnt government seeking to stop the press from looking into things. But still there has to be a pretty compelling interest.
this isn't about the reporters. It is about management talking to OU and UT telling them how much money they will make in the SEC.
blackie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Looks like they are realizing that the best thing for this league is to keep it together to force UT and OU and anyone else jumping having to pay up if they leave before the grant of rights expires. It is an incredible amount of money. Enough to tide you over for some number of years while things settle out. Once you have the money, you can look for other things or realize that there is a good opportunity for the league to pull in teams.

This needs to be slow played to get the money....all the way to the last penny. None of the leftover 8 are worth expansion for other conferences......unless perhaps ESPN gets in their ear and forces conferences to do something stupid......and certainly with the motive of the best interest of ESPN, not the schools or conferences.

Good move. May not prevent anything, but good move, IMO.
PartyBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
OsoVerde said:

PartyBear said:

It wont stand up as to ESPN. The media is allowed to ask questions and see what is going on. Anyone who the press seeks to question can say no comment. But you cant stop the press from looking into things and asking questions. True it isnt government seeking to stop the press from looking into things. But still there has to be a pretty compelling interest.
this isn't about the reporters. It is about management talking to OU and UT telling them how much money they will make in the SEC.
Gotcha
GruntTuff
How long do you want to ignore this user?
PartyBear said:

It wont stand up as to ESPN. The media is allowed to ask questions and see what is going on. Anyone who the press seeks to question can say no comment. But you cant stop the press from looking into things and asking questions. True it isnt government seeking to stop the press from looking into things. But still there has to be a pretty compelling interest.
Not so sure. ESPN has a financial interest at stake so freedom of the press might be compromised and limited due to the overriding financial interest. This may be part legal and part political, but I'm quite certain some $800/hour lawyers opined on the merits of sending this, not that it makes it successful or enforceable. Now, some $1000/hour lawyers get to generate some billable hours for ESPN/ABC.

PartyBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Bowlsby may be so betrayed by Texas and OU who he has been a sycophant to all these years, that he is now out for blood from them.
PartyBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I should have seen something coming when Bob Igor the CEO of Walt Disney Company gave the commencement address at UT in May.
Timbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Baylor (Livingstone, Rhoades. BOR) are so weak. No anger or aggressive competitive spirit shown. They come across as "well, this is just how it is. We'll just have to take it". I honestly believe there are still BoR and Baylor leaders who do not believe you can have winning football AND a behave like a Christian.
Robert Wilson
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I like it.
Method Man
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Timbear said:

Baylor (Livingstone, Rhoades. BOR) are so weak. No anger or aggressive competitive spirit shown. They come across as "well, this is just how it is. We'll just have to take it". I honestly believe there are still BoR and Baylor leaders who do not believe you can have winning football AND a behave like a Christian.
What should be their response?
gobears20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
gobears20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
gobears20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
gobears20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Wonder which school and what conference

Some are saying West Virginia ACC or Sec
blackie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
On Smoke's show today, the TCU guy they had on (TCU's broadcaster) said a study out indicated a $500 Million impact to Ft. Worth, Waco, and Lubbock. (Don't know if that was total or for each city....and what time period involved). These suckers need to pay.....and it better not be with tax dollars that come from our sales tax.

I hope the Big XII is united on this, as indicated above. That is their best option, IMO, for the next year or two. Get as much money as you can and keep EXPN out of people's ears. None of us bring enough to the table for expansion, anyway. Don't panic and talk yourself into something you may regret later. Squeeze every penny out of these jerks. They don't give a squat for anyone but themselves. Worse than politicians.....at least we can vote them out of office.
Aliceinbubbleland
How long do you want to ignore this user?
If they can prove ESPN damaged the conference by encouraging ou and ut to leave they have damaged the conference. Any lawyer should be able to prove that IF they can prove Herbstreit and Company connived, which they obviously have done. Fox may be behind the defense
BylrFan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The most obvious to me is Kansas then Iowa State, unsure who else they would be contacting.

The above is just assumption though
blackie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
gobears20 said:

Wonder which school and what conference

Some are saying West Virginia ACC or Sec
I don't read it as ESPN having contacted a school, but a conference possibly wanting them to consider expansion..
lakersfan34
How long do you want to ignore this user?
gobears20 said:

Wonder which school and what conference

Some are saying West Virginia ACC or Sec
The letter indicates that the Big 12 conference believes ESPN reached out to another conference to find landing spots for other Big 12 members. It seems like it's more than just West Virginia to ACC. It is more like a subset of remaining schools to Pac-12.

If your school is within the discussion initiated by ESPN, this letter may be working against your best interests. For example, if Baylor was one of 4 schools pitched by ESPN to move to Pac-12, I would believe Baylor would jump at this opportunity and rather have this letter be put in the trash. On the other hand, if you are left out of these discussions, the letter is good.
Stefano DiMera
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Espn alleged to have reached out to AAC to take 3-5 schools.
.
Story soon.
Aliceinbubbleland
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Big 12 should send a letter to Vandy, SC, UK and Miss State AD's. Watch out!
gobears20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff



BylrFan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Idk why any school would leave for the AAC especially before 2025. That's a last resort destination.
bear2be2
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Aliceinbubbleland said:

If they can prove ESPN damaged the conference by encouraging ou and ut to leave they have damaged the conference. Any lawyer should be able to prove that IF they can prove Herbstreit and Company connived, which they obviously have done. Fox may be behind the defense
Or CBS, which will soon lose it's SEC contract.
boognish_bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
bear2be2
How long do you want to ignore this user?
lakersfan34 said:

gobears20 said:

Wonder which school and what conference

Some are saying West Virginia ACC or Sec
The letter indicates that the Big 12 conference believes ESPN reached out to another conference to find landing spots for other Big 12 members. It seems like it's more than just West Virginia to ACC. It is more like a subset of remaining schools to Pac-12.

If your school is within the discussion initiated by ESPN, this letter may be working against your best interests. For example, if Baylor was one of 4 schools pitched by ESPN to move to Pac-12, I would believe Baylor would jump at this opportunity and rather have this letter be put in the trash. On the other hand, if you are left out of these discussions, the letter is good.
Either way, it's a gross conflict of interest that should 100 percent be exposed and called out. The Big 12's own TV partner is colluding against the league's survival. That's insane.
BUmoneymaker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Interesting
MaxTeller
How long do you want to ignore this user?
About time! This could get interesting!
bear2be2
How long do you want to ignore this user?
PartyBear said:

Bowlsby may be so betrayed by Texas and OU who he has been a sycophant to all these years, that he is now out for blood from them.
We're finally seeing a Big 12 commissioner untethered to UT.

Bowlsby and the Forgotten 8 ADs aren't dumb people. They've just had to go along to get along with UT and OU for the entire existence of the Big 12. Now they can finally work and act in their own self-interest and that of the league.
gobears20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff


bear2be2
How long do you want to ignore this user?
gobears20 said:


Bowlsby's last hurrah.

He'll resign or retire after this episode is over (and should). But he's finally taken the gloves off and appears ready to fight like hell.
EatMoreSalmon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The rebellion begins...
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.