Best BBQ in Waco

44,633 Views | 229 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by 4th and Inches
Big12Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Nguyen One Soon said:

SSadler1 said:

Headed to Helberg's in 15 minutes
Being on special, I figured it would set me back $20 or so. Almost choked when they said nearly $39, before beverage or tip.
Do not confuse a special offering with "being on special" pricewise.

You can always tell them that you are looking for a beef rib with a smaller end weight, around 1.25 LBS and it won't set you back quite as much.
EnglishBear
Liteitup said:

I just found out Mitch Davis of The Corner Stop passed away Saturday.

I'm without words, RIP.

That's a damn shame. Daniel Vaughn profiled him in TX Monthly just a few weeks ago and I was looking forward to trying the fried rib tips next time I was in town. RIP.
4th and Inches
Liteitup said:

I'm without words, RIP.

local legend... RIP
Robert Wilson
Liteitup said:

I'm without words, RIP.

I know. Terrible.

And right after the Texas Monthly article and all the notoriety hit.

I'm glad he got to see that, at least. Maybe it gave him a little chuckle and a smile (which he had every time I went in there anyway).
trey3216
Went by and had me an order of fried ribs to pay my respect. Delicious as always.
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
southtexasbear
EnglishBear said:

Liteitup said:

I'm without words, RIP.

That's a damn shame. Daniel Vaughn profiled him in TX Monthly just a few weeks ago and I was looking forward to trying the fried rib tips next time I was in town. RIP.

Right after the post on him hit the site I went and had some. Crazy good. Stood there a bit and had a great conversation with him. RIP
juliediane
Well if you are trying to maximize smoke flavor from the electricity you may want to consider a pellet tray or mailbox mod to your MES. As far as Bradley smokers go I have never used one so I am not the best source on that.
Volunteer
WacoKelly83 said:

Interesting. Never heard of this place but might be worth a stop if Texas Monthly thinks so.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/fried-rib-tips-mitchs-corner-stop-waco/
Everybody has their own opinion. I understand many people really like the fried rib tips. Tried them for the first time today. They certainly are unusual but to me they were just ok. However, they're certainly worth a try.
Stemperford
Volunteer said:

Everybody has their own opinion. I understand many people really like the fried rib tips. Tried them for the first time today. They certainly are unusual but to me they were just ok. However, they're certainly worth a try.
Nice comment very straight to point!
Sampi82
trey3216 said:

Went by and had me an order of fried ribs to pay my respect. Delicious as always.

Had a small order today for lunch. Spicy is spicy but no complaint. BTW, they are having a 31 year (if I heard the number right) anniversary celebration in the parking lot on May 2nd from 2-4.
“We have two lives, and the second begins when we realize we only have one.”
Boernebear
Had Helberg after the Green & Gold game today. Everything was excellent. Beef rib, brisket and spare ribs were the big winners. The bark on the beef rib is about as good as it gets.

I love Guess, but when I have a bit more time to grab some BBQ (my place is downtown), going out to Helberg is well worth it.

Robert Wilson
I like em both but all things being equal would choose Helberg. The free Lone Stars don't hurt.
Biscuits_and_Gravy
Pam Manhart said:

Just tried 310's Kitchen this weekend and highly recommend you try when you're in town. The brisket is every bit as good as Guess BBQ and the sides are definitely better. I had blue crab deviled eggs which were awesome. The bonus is it is cheaper and faster than Guess BBQ. It is a food truck now with a nice patio and arbor but Tony already owns the building next door where he plans to move eventually.
It's on Elm just a couple blocks off MLK. If you get to Lulu Jane's you've gone too far.

I picked up an assortment here yesterday after weekly growler fill at Brotherwell. Brisket was great. Also got deviled eggs and crab cakes, but the star was the gumbo, so good on this rainy spring weekend. I can see making a stop for one or more of these added to my growler fill schedule.
4th and Inches
Biscuits_and_Gravy said:

Pam Manhart said:

Just tried 310's Kitchen this weekend and highly recommend you try when you're in town. The brisket is every bit as good as Guess BBQ and the sides are definitely better. I had blue crab deviled eggs which were awesome. The bonus is it is cheaper and faster than Guess BBQ. It is a food truck now with a nice patio and arbor but Tony already owns the building next door where he plans to move eventually.
It's on Elm just a couple blocks off MLK. If you get to Lulu Jane's you've gone too far.

I picked up an assortment here yesterday after weekly growler fill at Brotherwell. Brisket was great. Also got deviled eggs and crab cakes, but the star was the gumbo, so good on this rainy spring weekend. I can see making a stop for one or more of these added to my growler fill schedule.
gumbo and smoked brisket?
Big12Bear
Hard to believe, but it's been four years and the new TX Monthly Top 50 BBQ list is out.

No Lockhart joints made it.

Waco/Woodway landed two in the Top 50 with Guess and Helberg. It's embarrassing how bad Waco BBQ was before those guys. Honky Tonk Kid is usually pretty solid too, but haven't been in awhile. Maybe some locals can chime in on HTK.

The list:

Texas Monthly Top 50 BBQ
SSadler
BaylorGuy314 said:

I've heard really good things about Helbergs. They are next on my list to try.

A shoutout to Bunkhouse BBQ in Clifton. It's too far away for me to go more than 1x a year or so but their brisket is fantastic. And their rub is off the charts. It's like a magical elixir for every type of smoked meat.
Had Helberg's today with buletters. Today it was top shelf. I was mocked on here once for mentioning that on my first trip there the fat content on the brisket was obnoxious.

But, you DO have to tell them if you want your brisket "Lean"--it makes a difference in how the counter cutter trims the fat for your order. In fact, if youi order brisket (in any form sandwich or plate) the guy taking your order will ask you that very question--"lean" or "moist". Makes a huge difference in how much fat you have to trim yourself once at your table.

But it definitely is in my weekly or bi-weekly rotation. If you go to sample it, go early or late if you can. It has a limited indoor number of table/benches, and very little outdoor seating. The place is always full when 'letters' and I eat at 11:45 am.

I need to give Guess another try. I was not impressed the one time I ate there. Mighta just been an off day between me and my repast.
trey3216
SSadler said:

BaylorGuy314 said:

I've heard really good things about Helbergs. They are next on my list to try.

A shoutout to Bunkhouse BBQ in Clifton. It's too far away for me to go more than 1x a year or so but their brisket is fantastic. And their rub is off the charts. It's like a magical elixir for every type of smoked meat.
Had Helberg's today with buletters. Today it was top shelf. I was mocked on here once for mentioning that on my first trip there the fat content on the brisket was obnoxious.

But, you DO have to tell them if you want your brisket "Lean"--it makes a difference in how the counter cutter trims the fat for your order. In fact, if youi order brisket (in any form sandwich or plate) the guy taking your order will ask you that very question--"lean" or "moist". Makes a huge difference in how much fat you have to trim yourself once at your table.

But it definitely is in my weekly or bi-weekly rotation. If you go to sample it, go early or late if you can. It has a limited indoor number of table/benches, and very little outdoor seating. The place is always full when 'letters' and I eat at 11:45 am.

I need to give Guess another try. I was not impressed the one time I ate there. Mighta just been an off day between me and my repast.

What are you trimming fat at the table? Fat is flavor. Just make sure there's meat with your fat and it's absolutely delicious.
Robert Wilson
Big12Bear said:

Hard to believe, but it's been four years and the new TX Monthly Top 50 BBQ list is out.

Waco/Woodway landed two in the Top 50 with Guess and Helberg. It's embarrassing how bad Waco BBQ was before those guys. Honky Tonk Kid is usually pretty solid too, but haven't been in awhile. Maybe some locals can chime in on HTK.

The list:

Texas Monthly Top 50 BBQ

Htk definitely underrated. It's quality. I think it's overlooked because it's small and the location does not really look or feel like a barbecue joint.
1outawayBear
Robert Wilson said:

Big12Bear said:

The list:

Texas Monthly Top 50 BBQ

Htk definitely underrated. It's quality. I think it's overlooked because it's small and the location does not really look or feel like a barbecue joint.

Couldn't disagree more.

Light years behind guess and helberg

Been there 5 plus times trying to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Awful brisket and awful meats in general. Sides subpar as well. Rudy's is honestly better.

You are right their place feels like a sandwich shop.
Robert Wilson
1outawayBear said:

Robert Wilson said:

Big12Bear said:

The list:

Texas Monthly Top 50 BBQ

Couldn't disagree more.

Awful brisket and awful meats in general. Sides subpar as well. Rudy's is honestly better.

It's not as good as Guess or Hellberg, but it's in that wide space between them and everything else in town.
1outawayBear
Robert Wilson said:

1outawayBear said:

Robert Wilson said:

Big12Bear said:

The list:

Texas Monthly Top 50 BBQ

Couldn't disagree more.

It's not as good as Guess or Hellberg, but it's in that wide space between them and everything else in town.

Agree to disagree. HTK is below Rudy's IMO.
Illinois Bear
1outawayBear said:

Robert Wilson said:

1outawayBear said:

Robert Wilson said:

Big12Bear said:

The list:

Texas Monthly Top 50 BBQ

Couldn't disagree more.

Agree to disagree. HTK is below Rudy's IMO.

Yikes.
WILLIS
Rudy's consistency is something to be admired by all. That was something Grant Pinkerton, a good friend, and owner of Pinkertons bbq, told me that was valued so highly, by pit masters far and wide. Knowing what your product is going to be day in and day out. You know you are getting above average bbq there. Maybe it's considered average now since so many good places exist but it was respected as a standard for many years. There is nothing else like it when it comes to bbq chains in Texas. I still drop by Rudy's due to nostalgia growing up. They were honestly the best in Waco when I was in college (07-11). All we had was Viteks, Michnas, Jaspers, and Tony DeMarias. Think about that!!! Rudy's is pretty good all things considered. Good for them.
southtexasbear
Went to Hellberg this morning for their Barbacoa special on Sunday's. Amazing…..had to get some ribs too
1outawayBear
Only thing I wish helberg would do again weekly is the pastrami they used to do
Robert Wilson
I'm going to have to do that. Getting Guess today. Hit Hellberg earlier this week for pork steak and chicken, even though I almost always stick within the trilogy. I'd put their pork steak up with any, right up there with snows. It's different, much bigger flavor profile, because of how long they marinade it. But it is tender.
BUbearinARK
You guys did me and dad a solid. He asked me where we were having lunch and I said Guess Barbecue, and he'd say ok, which one? Best day of my life.

trey3216
BUbearinARK said:

You guys did me and dad a solid. He asked me where we were having lunch and I said Guess Barbecue, and he'd say ok, which one? Best day of my life.

you didn't invite any of your friends from the internet to discuss what temperature that cat was cooked at????
BUbearinARK
trey3216 said:

BUbearinARK said:

you didn't invite any of your friends from the internet to discuss what temperature that cat was cooked at????
Hmm. Sunday, everyone @Helberg?

We can split the tabby.
1outawayBear
BUbearinARK said:

trey3216 said:

BUbearinARK said:

We can split the tabby.
I would be in, but you should have hit up helberg w their burnt ends today.
Illinois Bear
1outawayBear said:

BUbearinARK said:

trey3216 said:

BUbearinARK said:

We can split the tabby.

Anyone here tried the barbacoa they do every Sunday?
1outawayBear
Illinois Bear said:

1outawayBear said:

BUbearinARK said:

trey3216 said:

BUbearinARK said:

We can split the tabby.

yes. very good.
Illinois Bear
1outawayBear said:

Illinois Bear said:

1outawayBear said:

BUbearinARK said:

trey3216 said:

BUbearinARK said:

We can split the tabby.

yes. very good.

Excellent! Been meaning to get out there since we moved to Waco a few months back.
southtexasbear
Illinois Bear said:

1outawayBear said:

BUbearinARK said:

trey3216 said:

BUbearinARK said:

We can split the tabby.

Had it the other Sunday…amazingness
Illinois Bear
southtexasbear said:

Illinois Bear said:

1outawayBear said:

BUbearinARK said:

trey3216 said:

BUbearinARK said:

We can split the tabby.

Had it the other Sunday…amazingness

Looks incredible!!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.