Best BBQ in Waco

44,732 Views | 229 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by 4th and Inches
4th and Inches
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BUbearinARK said:

You guys did me and dad a solid. He asked me where we were having lunch and I said Guess Barbecue, and he'd say ok, which one? Best day of my life.

the brisket taco is one of the best deals on the menu at Guess..

Hope you and your dad enjoyed the BBQ
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
4th and Inches
Red wagon BBQ at the Homestead Heritage Fair out near Gholson this weekend.
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
73s de N4WJP
Robert Wilson said:

Big12Bear said:

Hard to believe, but it's been four years and the new TX Monthly Top 50 BBQ list is out.

No Lockhart joints made it.

Waco/Woodway landed two in the Top 50 with Guess and Helberg. It's embarrassing how bad Waco BBQ was before those guys. Honky Tonk Kid is usually pretty solid too, but haven't been in awhile. Maybe some locals can chime in on HTK.

The list:

Texas Monthly Top 50 BBQ

Htk definitely underrated. It's quality. I think it's overlooked because it's small and the location does not really look or feel like a barbecue joint.
I brought home 2lbs of HTK brisket for Thanksgiving, and the entire family thought it was very solid. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again. Reasonably priced too.
Biscuits_and_Gravy
4th and Inches said:

Red wagon BBQ at the Homestead Heritage Fair out near Gholson this weekend.

Their haystack sandwich is legit!
1outawayBear
Honky tonk kid just sucks. Given them 10 plus chances and it's on par or below Rudy's every time
Robert Wilson
Yeah that place is good

Forget about it bc of location and hours
Big12Bear
The Villanova afternoon tipoff was perfect for some of us out-of-towners to hit up some Waco 'cue. This was my first time visiting the brick and mortar Helberg and it did not disappoint. Really thankful they were open on Sunday.

Opted for the fatty brisket and its the best I've had in Waco. Pork ribs were outstanding as well. The sausage wasn't quite ready yet, so I opted for the turkey with pesto instead. That was definitely not your average boring turkey. So they managed to go 3 for 3.

Pork steak will be in the cards on the next visit.
Boernebear
Big12Bear said:

The Villanova afternoon tipoff was perfect for some of us out-of-towners to hit up some Waco 'cue. This was my first time visiting the brick and mortar Helberg and it did not disappoint. Really thankful they were open on Sunday.

Opted for the fatty brisket and its the best I've had in Waco. Pork ribs were outstanding as well. The sausage wasn't quite ready yet, so I opted for the turkey with pesto instead. That was definitely not your average boring turkey. So they managed to go 3 for 3.

Agreed! I was the first person in line on Sunday at Helberg and had called in a large order the day before. Pork ribs (possibly my favs of all time, anywhere) and brisket were excellent as always. Tried the pesto turkey and barbacoa for the first time and those were great as well. Traditional and jalapeño gouda sausage were also spot on. I think I ordered at least 30 lbs of food for 7 guys, so was a bit of overkill but the leftovers have been good as well.

So worth the drive! I also love Guess, but Helberg is a special place and also made the latest Texas Monthly Top 50. Nice to see them get the recognition along with Guess.

Big12Bear
Boernebear said:

Big12Bear said:

Agreed! I was the first person in line on Sunday at Helberg and had called in a large order the day before. Pork ribs (possibly my favs of all time, anywhere) and brisket were excellent as always. Tried the pesto turkey and barbacoa for the first time and those were great as well. Traditional and jalapeño gouda sausage were also spot on. I think I ordered at least 30 lbs of food for 7 guys, so was a bit of overkill but the leftovers have been good as well.

So worth the drive! I also love Guess, but Helberg is a special place and also made the latest Texas Monthly Top 50. Nice to see them get the recognition along with Guess.

So good! Now I got drool on my computer screen. You must have been just ahead of us and probably why the sausage wasn't ready. Whatever that was you ordered - Quarterback or Trinity - it feeds a small army. That's winning at BBQ and life. Well done.

My only rookie mistake was not ordering the smoked gouda and cheddar mac & cheese. I plan to hit Guess before another weekend hoops game, but Helberg will be hard to beat.
Boernebear
I actually had to wait about 15 minutes or so on the sausage as well - I think their timing was just off on the smoker. My order was custom; none of their on menu options include nearly as much meat as I ordered. Spent about $600 including tax/tip but well worth it (I tend to go overboard on food in general).

If you go to Guess on the weekend, their brunch options are awesome. I highly recommend the breakfast sandwich and their brisket breakfast tacos. Pulled pork pancakes are pretty good too.
WILLIS
Need Guess or Helburg to strike a deal to serve their food at Georges. I don't get to spend enough time in Waco and my wife insist on George's the couple times a year we get up there these days. Sadly we never make it to my old favorites like Cupps or get to try anything new. Would love a slab of great brisket with a big o. Might be on to something.
Big12Bear
Boernebear said:

I actually had to wait about 15 minutes or so on the sausage as well - I think their timing was just off on the smoker. My order was custom; none of their on menu options include nearly as much meat as I ordered. Spent about $600 including tax/tip but well worth it (I tend to go overboard on food in general).

If you go to Guess on the weekend, their brunch options are awesome. I highly recommend the breakfast sandwich and their brisket breakfast tacos. Pulled pork pancakes are pretty good too.
Even with the increase in meat prices, $600 can still go a long ways (unless we're talking beef ribs) and you know you're getting a quality product (sadly, as opposed to the Lockhart joints these days). Worth every bite.

Appreciate the Guess recs. Anytime I try a new place for the first time I usually go with the TX Trinity (brisket/ribs/sausage), but so many of these specialty exotics make me reconsider. Pulled pork pancakes?
Big12Bear
WILLIS said:

Need Guess or Helburg to strike a deal to serve their food at Georges. I don't get to spend enough time in Waco and my wife insist on George's the couple times a year we get up there these days. Sadly we never make it to my old favorites like Cupps or get to try anything new. Would love a slab of great brisket with a big o. Might be on to something.
Railhead BBQ and Angelo's in Ft Worth would always serve beer in schooners that had been packed in dry ice. Cold enough to scald your hand before making it to the table. The only problem is, their BBQ is subpar by today's incredible TX standards.
trey3216
Big12Bear said:

WILLIS said:

Railhead BBQ and Angelo's in Ft Worth would always serve beer in schooners that had been packed in dry ice. Cold enough to scald your hand before making it to the table. The only problem is, their BBQ is subpar by today's incredible TX standards.
tourist traps
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
Yogi
I noticed last weekend that Buzzard Billy's started a barbecue menu.

The brisket queso is good.

I am looking forward to getting a stab at the rest of the menu this upcoming weekend.
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
WacoKelly83
My wife talked me into a trip to Coaches XXX Smoke Downtown. Not bad but not great either. Sliced brisket was roast like
Boernebear
Sounds like you should go to Guess twice - once for the trinity and again for the speciality brunch items! They also have a full bar, so it's great for brunch with cocktails.
Boernebear
WacoKelly83 said:

My wife talked me into a trip to Coaches XXX Smoke Downtown. Not bad but not great either. Sliced brisket was roast like

I wouldn't call that a true BBQ spot, but it's a great spot to watch a game. I don't go often, but when I have, I've gone with the nachos or a burger and it was good but not great. Nice option if you're downtown and want to grab a bite and drink while watching a game. Just don't have high expectations for the food and you will be good.
Robert Wilson
Boernebear said:

WacoKelly83 said:

I wouldn't call that a true BBQ spot, but it's a great spot to watch a game. I don't go often, but when I have, I've gone with the nachos or a burger and it was good but not great. Nice option if you're downtown and want to grab a bite and drink while watching a game. Just don't have high expectations for the food and you will be good.
Exactly right. I wish the food there was better. I like the idea and the setting. I'd go there to drink and watch games more often if the food was better. Wouldn't have to be great.
4th and Inches
Boernebear said:

WacoKelly83 said:

pretty much, coaches reminds me of uncle Dan's with nicer atmosphere

–Horace

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.