Best BBQ in Waco

44,754 Views | 229 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by 4th and Inches
southtexasbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Without a doubt!! They're both must stops
Robert Wilson
southtexasbear said:

Without a doubt!! They're both must stops
No question. Having two places that quality in Waco is really fortunate.

Honky Tonk ain't no joke either.

And I will never turn down a run to Demaria's. Old school Waco and give me plenty of gravy.
RightRevBear
Man, you all are making me hungry, except for that Cornyn post. Was that ketchup on that "brisket"?
sipembeers
RightRevBear said:

Man, you all are making me hungry, except for that Cornyn post. Was that ketchup on that "brisket"?
WacoKelly83
Interesting. Never heard of this place but might be worth a stop if Texas Monthly thinks so.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/fried-rib-tips-mitchs-corner-stop-waco/
southtexasbear
Wow. That sounds pretty good. Definitely not downtown or near campus but those Spicey fried tips sounds insane.
Robert Wilson
I'm in
trey3216
WacoKelly83 said:

Interesting. Never heard of this place but might be worth a stop if Texas Monthly thinks so.

I hate when my little honey holes get discovered by the unwashed masses.
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
Liteitup
Tried them for the first time last week. Definitely worth the trip. And Mitch is good people.
4th and Inches
WacoKelly83 said:

They are good, another little hidden gem of Waco
WILLIS
I will definitely try them sometime. Looks excellent to me.. But I'm not sure Daniel Vaughn is actually recommending trying the rib tips vs being a good journalist on the place compared to his other literature that raves and describes the food more intensely. His writing style varies when he's raving about a place or menu item vs OK food and telling a story and history.
trey3216
WILLIS said:

I will definitely try them sometime. Looks excellent to me.. But I'm not sure Daniel Vaughn is actually recommending trying the rib tips vs being a good journalist on the place compared to his other literature that raves and describes the food more intensely. His writing style varies when he's raving about a place or menu item vs OK food and telling a story and history.
The fried rib tips are absolutely delicious. Make no mistake
Liteitup
I just talked to Mitch, he had no idea this was coming. He said he was interviewed on the phone. When I mentioned Daniel Vaughan, he confirmed that was the name. Daniel told Mitch that Guess BBQ told him about The Corner Stop and fried ribs.

Mitch said he was already getting phone calls and didn't know why.
WILLIS
That's awesome!
4th and Inches
trey3216 said:

WILLIS said:

selling 1600 pounds of rib tips per week should tell you how good they are
Robert Wilson
Their hot wings and the jalapeno cheese sausage are damn good, too. Also slinging some venison sausage.
trey3216
4th and Inches said:

trey3216 said:

WILLIS said:

selling 1600 pounds of rib tips per week should tell you how good they are

I didn't need to know the numbers. I've been going occasionally for about 12-13 years
stillwaiting
Been going 15 years, but I get pan sausage and egg sandwich for breakfast and a really good double cheeseburger any other time. Plus sweet potato pie and spicewood springs peach soda. As mentioned above Mitch and his family are very fine people.
SSadler
Meeting a longtime Baylor fan for lunch today at Helberg's.

Plan to get there early and stay late.

trey3216
SSadler said:

Was there yesterday. Brisket and sausage were outstanding as usual.

Robert Wilson
Helberg's is a little pricey, but the quality is tip top, and you can grab free Lone Stars. That is worth a lot in my book.
1outawayBear
SSadler said:

Saw they were doing the orange chicken burnt ends again today

Highly recommend and the buffalo as well
STxBear81
looks good
Bearicade

I know you believe you understand what I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!
Bexar Pitts
Bearicade said:

I've lived a couple of blocks from the old Crestwood store location for 40 years..and was a loyal customer long before that. Only place I've ever known that you could get a great Bar-B-Que sandwich, a carton of Blue Bell Ice Cream and a dozen minnows at the same time! Thanks for putting up that photo!
WILLIS
Bexar Pitts said:

Bearicade said:

I've lived a couple of blocks from the old Crestwood store location for 40 years..and was a loyal customer long before that. Only place I've ever known that you could get a great Bar-B-Que sandwich, a carton of Blue Bell Ice Cream and a dozen minnows at the same time! Thanks for putting up that photo!

My grandparents, Todd and Hester Willis lived at 4804 Hillcrest next door to Crestwood on 3 acres since the 1950's. They are both long deceased but my uncle Brad still owns the house. I have heard A LOT about Crestwood! My dad would buy minnows and go fishing at lake Waco by horseback! The corner lot where it was is still vacant.
Nguyen One Soon
Bexar Pitts said:

Bearicade said:

Was the only place you could buy bootlegged Blue Bell in Waco for a long time.
WILLIS
Yup. Heard about the blue bell ice cream as well! Dad was lucky to grow up next to it.
whitetrash
Nguyen One Soon said:

Bexar Pitts said:

Bearicade said:

IIRC, Blue Bell would deliver from Brenham only as far north as Marlin and Temple. Elliot Bennett would drive to Marlin with a pickup bed full of 48 quart coolers and meet the delivery truck. Kept the Blue Bell in old chest freezers in the back. Finally Blue Bell built a distribution facility in Robinson in about 1984 or so to supply central Texas.
Bexar Pitts
whitetrash said:

Nguyen One Soon said:

Bexar Pitts said:

Bearicade said:

IIRC, Blue Bell would deliver from Brenham only as far north as Marlin and Temple. Elliot Bennett would drive to Marlin with a pickup bed full of 48 quart coolers and meet the delivery truck. Kept the Blue Bell in old chest freezers in the back. Finally Blue Bell built a distribution facility in Robinson in about 1984 or so to supply central Texas.
Thanks for a great story! I always wondered how Mr. Bennett would manage to keep his cooler stocked. Thought maybe he put 'em in the back of that big ole station wagon he drove, but that would've required a lot more trips. I wasn't about to ask...just extremely glad they were available! Thanks for bringing back some really great memories!
Steve Sadler
Headed to Helberg's in 15 minutes
Nguyen One Soon
SSadler1 said:

To be fair, I guess I need to try them again. Made my first trek to Helberg's yesterday before the baseball double header. Told them it was my first time and they recommended the Saturday special, the beef rib. I knew it would be a little expensive, but wanted to see them at their best. That was the greasiest one piece of meat I've ever tried to eat. I used well over 25 paper towels sopping grease out of it, and still the only aftertaste was grease. Being on special, I figured it would set me back $20 or so. Almost choked when they said nearly $39, before beverage or tip.
WILLIS
Nguyen One Soon said:

SSadler1 said:

To be fair, I guess I need to try them again. Made my first trek to Helberg's yesterday before the baseball double header. Told them it was my first time and they recommended the Saturday special, the beef rib. I knew it would be a little expensive, but wanted to see them at their best. That was the greasiest one piece of meat I've ever tried to eat. I used well over 25 paper towels sopping grease out of it, and still the only aftertaste was grease. Being on special, I figured it would set me back $20 or so. Almost choked when they said nearly $39, before beverage or tip.

Ya that was a mistake. Should always start with the Texas trinity at any joint... beef ribs can be super greasy/buttery in general.
Liteitup
I just found out Mitch Davis of The Corner Stop passed away Saturday.

I'm without words, RIP.

trey3216
Liteitup said:

I just found out Mitch Davis of The Corner Stop passed away Saturday.

I'm without words, RIP.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.