Best BBQ in Waco

44,786 Views | 229 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by 4th and Inches
Ludwig von Missi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
trey3216 said:

CammoTX said:

Guess is very good. Can hold its own against the best statewide.

Uncle Dan's is not good. Neither was Michna's when it was around.
Uncle Dan's is worse than not good. I'm not sure I'd feed it to my dog to be honest. I mean, Eckrich sausage?!?!?! Get outta here with that garbage. And canned beans are an automatic no go for me unless I'm trying to make it easy for a family gathering.
It really is incredible how bad Uncle Dan's is. It's hard to put into words. And I'm not a bbq snob by any means...I've had many solid meals at Rudy's over the years.
RebelT
Dia del DougO said:

Some of the best brisket I've ever had was cheap select from Wal Mart, smoked by the guy who used to be the pitmaster at Miller's in Belton.

Foo foo wagu and fancy rainbow truffle fed fairy dust stuff is fine if you really want to do it, but it seems goofy to me for people to line up for hours and pay absurd prices for brisket.

You clearly have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. At a fundamental level, you're legitimately clueless on this topic.
Dia del DougO
RebelT said:

Dia del DougO said:

Some of the best brisket I've ever had was cheap select from Wal Mart, smoked by the guy who used to be the pitmaster at Miller's in Belton.

Foo foo wagu and fancy rainbow truffle fed fairy dust stuff is fine if you really want to do it, but it seems goofy to me for people to line up for hours and pay absurd prices for brisket.

You clearly have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. At a fundamental level, you're legitimately clueless on this topic.

You're saying cheap cuts of meat can't make great barbecue? My goodness gracious...

I bet you're a pellet smoker kind of guy.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
Banned BarleyMcDougal
RebelT said:

Dia del DougO said:

Actually, it seems that's a better description of your take.

Brisket, at a fundamental level, is about taking a cheap, crappy piece of meat and making into something worth eating. Sure, there are grades of brisket, but smoking a good piece of meat hours on end really defeats the purpose of buying something expensive.

Now, if we were talking about a wagyu ribeye...that's different. But that's to be cooked just barely past rare. To further that point, my favorite piece of meat is skirt steak and even that is kinda expensive now. But nothing beats a heavily spiced skirt thrown over a scorcher, flipped, rested and cut thin.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
BarleyMcDougal said:

RebelT said:

Dia del DougO said:

Brisket, at a fundamental level, is about taking a cheap, crappy piece of meat and making into something worth eating. Sure, there are grades of brisket, but smoking a good piece of meat hours on end really defeats the purpose of buying something expensive.

Now, if we were talking about a wagyu ribeye...that's different. But that's to be cooked just barely past rare. To further that point, my favorite piece of meat is skirt steak and even that is kinda expensive now. But nothing beats a heavily spiced skirt thrown over a scorcher, flipped, rested and cut thin.
Why would you heavily spice a juicy cut like skirt?

Just a simple dusting and sear is needed.
Banned BarleyMcDougal
Brian Ethridge said:

BarleyMcDougal said:

RebelT said:

Dia del DougO said:

No way man. Skirt steak needs a heavy seasoning to balance the beefiness.

I try to do a 1-2 hr marinade in soy sauce, fish sauce, lime zest (and a little juice), minced garlic and tomato paste. Umami bomb. Dry it off, toss it in some oil and then apply a good coating of cumin, chili powder, onion powder and garlic powder. Sometimes I'll even spice grind a couple of dried shiitakes to a fine powder and mix that in. And just a very small dusting of S&P.

I've done the Alton Brown method of straight on the coals but I didn't really like the unevenness of the cook. A super hot grill grate works as well so long as you keep an eye on the internal temp.

If you can beat the taste of that skirt steak, you've made a deal with the devil.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
BarleyMcDougal said:

Brian Ethridge said:

BarleyMcDougal said:

RebelT said:

Dia del DougO said:

No way man. Skirt steak needs a heavy seasoning to balance the beefiness.

I try to do a 1-2 hr marinade in soy sauce, fish sauce, lime zest (and a little juice), minced garlic and tomato paste. Umami bomb. Dry it off, toss it in some oil and then apply a good coating of cumin, chili powder, onion powder and garlic powder. Sometimes I'll even spice grind a couple of dried shiitakes to a fine powder and mix that in. And just a very small dusting of S&P.

I've done the Alton Brown method of straight on the coals but I didn't really like the unevenness of the cook. A super hot grill grate works as well so long as you keep an eye on the internal temp.

If you can beat the taste of that skirt steak, you've made a deal with the devil.
Salt, pepper, and some lime juice and you've got greatness.
RebelT
BarleyMcDougal said:

RebelT said:

Dia del DougO said:

I....wh.......

No.

Just no. This is wrong on so many fundamental levels that it's kind of scary, and it's hard for me to even start to respond in a serious manner.

What defines a "cheap" cut of meat is, more often than not, increasing levels of inconsistency within the meat. This can be anything from inconsistent fat/marbling throughout to varying muscle fiber density and higher levels of elastin (i.e. "gristle") throughout. As the quality of a cut of meat increases, the consistency of the far/marbling throughout the meat is more even, and there is less elastin throughout. In a piece of meat that is smoked for a long period of time, consistent levels of fat and marbling mean that the fat is going to render more evenly, producing a more even cook. Consistent muscle fiber density ensures that you get an even level of tenderness throughout with no major tough spots.

The quality of the meat makes a MASSIVE difference in how it will cook. It doesn't matter if it's a long or short cook, better meat is going to produce better and more consistent results across the board. That's not to say that good products can't come from subpar cuts of meat, but if you give the same guy a better cut of meat, the end product is going to be better. Full stop.
Banned BarleyMcDougal
RebelT said:

BarleyMcDougal said:

RebelT said:

Dia del DougO said:

I....wh.......

No.

Just no. This is wrong on so many fundamental levels that it's kind of scary, and it's hard for me to even start to respond in a serious manner.

What defines a "cheap" cut of meat is, more often than not, increasing levels of inconsistency within the meat. This can be anything from inconsistent fat/marbling throughout to varying muscle fiber density and higher levels of elastin (i.e. "gristle") throughout. As the quality of a cut of meat increases, the consistency of the far/marbling throughout the meat is more even, and there is less elastin throughout. In a piece of meat that is smoked for a long period of time, consistent levels of fat and marbling mean that the fat is going to render more evenly, producing a more even cook. Consistent muscle fiber density ensures that you get an even level of tenderness throughout with no major tough spots.

The quality of the meat makes a MASSIVE difference in how it will cook. It doesn't matter if it's a long or short cook, better meat is going to produce better and more consistent results across the board. That's not to say that good products can't come from subpar cuts of meat, but if you give the same guy a better cut of meat, the end product is going to be better. Full stop.
LOL! Dude, 1. I know exactly what I'm talking about. You can trust me on this. 2. You're missing the macro point.

A lesser grade of beef can match up with some of the best grades if it's done right, particularly in BRISKET. Most briskets, even selects, have enough connective tissue in them that, if cooked properly, result in a buttery cut of meat.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/food/bbq-anatomy-101-know-your-brisket/

The article also touches on something that most guys in the industry know. Brisket is graded on what the OTHER cuts of that same carcass receive. It's impossible to know how much collagen, the main contributor to a great brisket, is in there. That's why a select can be on par with a choice.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
BarleyMcDougal said:

RebelT said:

BarleyMcDougal said:

RebelT said:

Dia del DougO said:

I....wh.......

No.

LOL! Dude, 1. I know exactly what I'm talking about. You can trust me on this. 2. You're missing the macro point.

A lesser grade of beef can match up with some of the best grades if it's done right, particularly in BRISKET. Most briskets, even selects, have enough connective tissue in them that, if cooked properly, result in a buttery cut of meat.

The article also touches on something that most guys in the industry know. Brisket is graded on what the OTHER cuts of that same carcass receive. It's impossible to know how much collagen, the main contributor to a great brisket, is in there. That's why a select can be on par with a choice.

A carpenter doesn't blame his tools, but a carpenter can make a better product with oak over plywood. Same with a chef and brisket.
Dia del DougO
BarleyMcDougal said:

RebelT said:

BarleyMcDougal said:

RebelT said:

Dia del DougO said:

I....wh.......

No.

It's refreshing to see someone on a fairly anonymous message board that actually knows what he's talking about. Well done.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
WILLIS
I have cooked ungraded and select briskets that have turned out better than prime but prime wins 8 times out of 10. Prime recently went down from 3.99 a lb to 3.39 a lb at our local Costco so I've been buying them again. I find their prime briskets superior to heb's prime. Also prefer their St. Louis spares to hebs which are often half frozen. Could just be the two particular stores I'm shopping though.

The biggest difference in average briskets and excellent briskets cooked standard way with standard temps is how long they are held and rested. Throw that bad boy in a cooler with towels for 4 hours and it's gonna be amazing. 2 hours can be hit or miss. Just my opinion

RebelT
Brian Ethridge said:

BarleyMcDougal said:

RebelT said:

BarleyMcDougal said:

RebelT said:

Dia del DougO said:

I....wh.......

No.

A carpenter doesn't blame his tools, but a carpenter can make a better product with oak over plywood. Same with a chef and brisket.

This.

Suggesting otherwise is outright idiocy.
whitetrash
RebelT said:

Brian Ethridge said:

BarleyMcDougal said:

RebelT said:

BarleyMcDougal said:

RebelT said:

Dia del DougO said:

CvSome of the best brisket I've ever had was cheap select from Wal Mart, smoked by the guy who used to be the pitmaster at Miller's in Belton.

I....wh.......

No.

This.

This is reminiscent of the old story that Henry Ford used to complain that no one could make a hamburger as good as the executive dining room at Ford Motor Co. So one of the other executives went to ask the head chef what was his secret. He said "It's simple: I just grind up a New York Strip for Mr. Ford."
Brian Ethridge
Staff
RebelT said:

Brian Ethridge said:

BarleyMcDougal said:

RebelT said:

BarleyMcDougal said:

RebelT said:

Dia del DougO said:

I....wh.......

No.

This.

There are so many cuts to try as well and each take time to master.

The funniest story I have was living in Wisconsin for a few months and I cooked fajitas for the team I was being trained by before I left. I go to the grocery store and no skirt steak. I go to the meat market, no skirt steak. I go to the local butcher, no skirt steak. The local butcher tells me the kill shop is 20 miles out of town. I take off early Thursday and drive out there. The kill shop looks at me and says, "Where is it on the cow?" I go back into the shop and there's a recent kill hanging and I point it out. "We throw that away, but how much do you want?" I asked for 10lbs and he tells me to come back Friday at 5. I come back Friday and he says, "10 dollars." I pay him and he hands me the skirt steak. It's 24 pounds and back to the store I go so I can buy a another bowl to marinate.

I grill them at the lake and it was the best I'd made up to that point. The team in Wisconsin took home 10+ pounds cooked to their families and still contact me about the marinade.
trey3216
Brian Ethridge said:

RebelT said:

Brian Ethridge said:

BarleyMcDougal said:

RebelT said:

BarleyMcDougal said:

RebelT said:

Dia del DougO said:

I....wh.......

No.

This.

There are so many cuts to try as well and each take time to master.

The funniest story I have was living in Wisconsin for a few months and I cooked fajitas for the team I was being trained by before I left. I go to the grocery store and no skirt steak. I go to the meat market, no skirt steak. I go to the local butcher, no skirt steak. The local butcher tells me the kill shop is 20 miles out of town. I take off early Thursday and drive out there. The kill shop looks at me and says, "Where is it on the cow?" I go back into the shop and there's a recent kill hanging and I point it out. "We throw that away, but how much do you want?" I asked for 10lbs and he tells me to come back Friday at 5. I come back Friday and he says, "10 dollars." I pay him and he hands me the skirt steak. It's 24 pounds and back to the store I go so I can buy a another bowl to marinate.

I grill them at the lake and it was the best I'd made up to that point. The team in Wisconsin took home 10+ pounds cooked to their families and still contact me about the marinade.
Sounds like when I learned how to make neck bones about 3 different ways.
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
4th and Inches
BarleyMcDougal said:

RebelT said:

Dia del DougO said:

mouth watered a bit- that is perfect skirt steal description...
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
BaylorHistory
I had some HTK today. It was pretty good.
“People who live in glass houses...have to answer the door."
Ludwig von Missi
1. Article in the trib said Guess's brick & mortar should be up and running by September.

2. Helberg is REALLY good. After years of being a bit of a BBQ wasteland, Waco's q scene is kind of exploding.
dave714
Uncle Dan's in Hewitt on Fridays. They have their prime Brisket. OMG !!
drahthaar
Side note:
If you're out in the Meridian area, grab some Q at Pollard's at the intersection of Hwy 6 and Hwy 22. You'll be glad you did. New digs...he was in Valley Mills by the old high school but now has permanent home in Meridian. He's Frank Pollard's uncle I believe. Joint is called CJ's I believe.

Carry on.
trey3216
dave714 said:

Uncle Dan's in Hewitt on Fridays. They have their prime Brisket. OMG !!
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
Dia del DougO
I was informed that Guess Family bbq had some kind of soft open this week at the new location at the old Michna's building on Franklin. There are no regular hours set or a schedule for full open, but should be soon. I believe they have vacated their trailer spot at the Magnolia assimilation site.
baylrballa
anyone check out guess today, was suppoed to be open.
WacoKelly83
I drove through the parking lot at 11:15 and it was packed. I couldn't tell if it was open to the public so I kept on driving. No open signs but definitely serving somebody. Saw the paper occupancy sign in the front window.
4th and Inches
Hit up Frekin Gud in Bellmead today... The brisket had a good smoke ring and was well priced at $16 a pound. the pepper jack cheese sausage is pretty good. Did not try any sides.
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
Dia del DougO
Pepper jack is such a vastly better combo for smoked sausage it's amazing that good sense hasn't resulted in it being a big thing and replacing jap/cheddar, which usually results in a poor consistency, often watery, doesn't meld well, and not a great complimentary flavor profile. I love jalapeno and cheddar individually, use it in lots of other stuff, it works much better in summer sausage (HEB's is great). It has always been overrated in smoked sausage.

HEB Heritage brand pepper jack sausage has been a constant in my fridge for a couple of years.
stillwaiting
baylrballa said:

Parking lot was packed, so missus and I drove out to Helberg instead. Quick drive, no wait, the little cheaper menu paid for the gasoline. Great brisket, good sausage, on point sides. But while I have had it before so I should not be surprised..... the star was the pesto turkey ---- it may be the best use of poultry I have ever tasted.
4th and Inches
Will try HTK bbq again but was not impressed with what wife brought home this weekend. I felt it was closer to average waco bbq than top end. My first impression of the two new places i tried this week, Frekin Gud brisket that was better and cheaper per pound

–Horace

Gold Tron
Went to Revival Eastside Eatery on Saturday and enjoyed it. Their Golden Calf burger with locally sourced goat cheese and lemon aioli was very good.
Pam Manhart
baylrballa said:

Yes, I went Saturday. Very busy and definitely worth it. Probably took 30 minutes to park, order and wait for food.The brisket was recommended so that's what I ordered even though they were having a Waco Restaurant special of burnt ends. I've had prime rib that wasn't as good as this brisket. Very tender and moist. Tasty seasoning. No real need for sauce but its provided. Good sides as well. I loved the corn with cilantro cream. I also ordered the beans. They were good but were runny enough to me they were more like chili. I actually at them later over a bake sweet potato. A friend was there for the cheese grits. I heard that a salad with fresh tomatoes and cucumbers (?) they loved on the truck was not on this menu. I'll be back.
BU99
Not for the bbq purist out there, but Guess actually has as good lean brisket as you can find, it somehow still has great flavor unlike most dry lean cuts. The moist borders on too much fat for me. Also non-purist but their sauce is as good or better than any I've had, spicier than most.

As for the beans mentioned above, I thought they were great, good spice and taste. But agree on the corn. My wife loves the cheese grits.

Best in Waco by a mile to me.
bularry
Crash Davis said:

1. Article in the trib said Guess's brick & mortar should be up and running by September.

2. Helberg is REALLY good. After years of being a bit of a BBQ wasteland, Waco's q scene is kind of exploding.
My son's are driving up to Dallas to see UH v UNT tonight and visit my sister and brother in law. I told them the check out Helberg. The pics they sent looked great and they really liked it.
Ludwig von Missi
bularry said:

Crash Davis said:

My son's are driving up to Dallas to see UH v UNT tonight and visit my sister and brother in law. I told them the check out Helberg. The pics they sent looked great and they really liked it.
Glad they liked it. Did that get the smoked gouda Mac & cheese? That might be my favorite BBQ side of all-time.
bularry
Crash Davis said:

bularry said:

Crash Davis said:

Glad they liked it. Did that get the smoked gouda Mac & cheese? That might be my favorite BBQ side of all-time.
didn't get the down load yet, only saw one pic of a full tray and one pic of an empty tray. it does look like they had mac n cheese, so I'll get their review.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.