Hamburger

20,550 Views | 144 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by BaylorGuy314
geewago
How long do you want to ignore this user?
LIB,MR BEARS said:

did you get your jeans and boots at The Fair?

http://www.tdtnews.com/archive/article_622ad047-cac4-5114-803d-7928eeb0ee7e.html
I bought a many a pair of jeans and boots at The Fair. That was one booming business. Lamar Lamberts wife (from Asa) worked there and I would always give her my business because they worked on commission. She would always give me a 50% cut off her commission because we were friends and I had hired two of her boys to run combines for me during the summer.

She introduced me to the owner and I spoke with him several times over the years and now I cannot for the life of me remember his name. A Jewish man. One the top 5 riches men in Falls county. As soon as he died his daughters took over and started lowering the inventory and raising the prices. Within a few years they closed claiming there was no money to be made anymore in Western wear. The old man had such a business if you recall there was another western store across the street that just fed off of him. During Holidays and weekends there was so much business there it was a fight to get through those crowded aisles and some people would get disgusted and just walk across the street and buy a few higher priced items and head home.

My brother in law had a carpet store in Bloomington, Indiana. Boots and western wear were very rare up there. But when John Travolta made the movie Urban Cowboy, boots took off everywhere. He put in a small store on one end of his carpet store and called it "Boot Hill". Business took off. Had to hire 2 full time employs. He came to see us one December and wanted to go to The Fair as he had heard so much about their stock of boots. He was taken back at the prices. He said they were selling the exact boots from Tony Lama and Justin for considerably less than he had to pay for them wholesale. His territorial rep had told him he was getting the best price they had to offer. He was on the phone chewing him out as soon as we got home. The rep kept swearing up and down that nobody got a lower price. They finally hung up and the rep called back in about 30 minutes and said he had went to the top and got the scoop which he had not previously known, and had found out that were 2 stores in America that got lower prices on boots than he did in Bloomington. One store was in California and the other was The Fair in Lott. The big boss had told him to tell my Broher in law that if he could order the volume that Lott did he would get that price. He asked what they ordered per month and when they told him he said "I would have to sell over 20 times that many to be on his level". QUITE A STORE THAT WAS.
geewago
Gunny Hartman said:

Geewago, does Westphalia Market in Lott have anything in common with the old store?
The Westpahalia meat market is in Westphalia but has a Lott address. The Rabrokers have run it for years. Its a butcher shop as the name says: "Meat market". The old store was a little further up and had nothing to do with slaughtering cows and pigs. But they both were located in Westphalia.
Grumpy
I have enjoyed much of this and have agreed with many of the suggestions. I'd just add World Cup Cafe. Order the World Cup burger or the patty melt on Texas toast. You won't regret it!
Brian Ethridge
Staff
geewago said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

http://www.tdtnews.com/archive/article_622ad047-cac4-5114-803d-7928eeb0ee7e.html
I bought a many a pair of jeans and boots at The Fair. That was one booming business. Lamar Lamberts wife (from Asa) worked there and I would always give her my business because they worked on commission. She would always give me a 50% cut off her commission because we were friends and I had hired two of her boys to run combines for me during the summer.

She introduced me to the owner and I spoke with him several times over the years and now I cannot for the life of me remember his name. A Jewish man. One the top 5 riches men in Falls county. As soon as he died his daughters took over and started lowering the inventory and raising the prices. Within a few years they closed claiming there was no money to be made anymore in Western wear. The old man had such a business if you recall there was another western store across the street that just fed off of him. During Holidays and weekends there was so much business there it was a fight to get through those crowded aisles and some people would get disgusted and just walk across the street and buy a few higher priced items and head home.

My brother in law had a carpet store in Bloomington, Indiana. Boots and western wear were very rare up there. But when John Travolta made the movie Urban Cowboy, boots took off everywhere. He put in a small store on one end of his carpet store and called it "Boot Hill". Business took off. Had to hire 2 full time employs. He came to see us one December and wanted to go to The Fair as he had heard so much about their stock of boots. He was taken back at the prices. He said they were selling the exact boots from Tony Lama and Justin for considerably less than he had to pay for them wholesale. His territorial rep had told him he was getting the best price they had to offer. He was on the phone chewing him out as soon as we got home. The rep kept swearing up and down that nobody got a lower price. They finally hung up and the rep called back in about 30 minutes and said he had went to the top and got the scoop which he had not previously known, and had found out that were 2 stores in America that got lower prices on boots than he did in Bloomington. One store was in California and the other was The Fair in Lott. The big boss had told him to tell my Broher in law that if he could order the volume that Lott did he would get that price. He asked what they ordered per month and when they told him he said "I would have to sell over 20 times that many to be on his level". QUITE A STORE THAT WAS.
Was the family Kestner's or was that only in Waco?
geewago
No it wasn't Kestners. They were across the river on Elm. Also put another store in around Bosque. There wre a lot of Jewish clothing stores on the square if you're old enough to remember that. Like Wizigs, Nate Chadarows, etc.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
geewago said:

No it wasn't Kestners. They were across the river on Elm. Also put another store in around Bosque. There wre a lot of Jewish clothing stores on the square if you're old enough to remember that. Like Wizigs, Nate Chadarows, etc.

Yes, but I think they were the only family into Western Wear. The Elm location still has paint where you can make out the name on the building.
blueskymesa
Wow...I grew up in Marlin and haven't heard some of these family names in a loooong time. In particular, Falsone, Falco and Roppollo. Thanks for posting.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
blueskymesa said:

Wow...I grew up in Marlin and haven't heard some of these family names in a loooong time. In particular, Falsone, Falco and Roppollo. Thanks for posting.
What about Randazzo that owned the grocery store
blueskymesa
Brian Ethridge said:

blueskymesa said:

I knew them well. One of my best friends growing up was a Randazzo.
forza orsi
blueskymesa said:

Brian Ethridge said:

blueskymesa said:

And some of my best friends in Sicily are the Randazzos
Brian Ethridge
Staff
forza orsi said:

blueskymesa said:

Brian Ethridge said:

blueskymesa said:

And some of my best friends in Sicily are the Randazzos
I would go visit them on occasion to help out at the store. Good people.
Gunny Hartman
Brian Ethridge said:

geewago said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Was the family Kestner's or was that only in Waco?

The link that LIB posted says the name of the owner. Really interesting article:

"A former county judge, Rolla Will Hailey, transformed almost an entire city block into The Fair, a series of buildings connected and inside filled with millions of dollars in Western wear. "

AStaton
For those interested, The Burger Show on YouTube generally has great content. Waco hasn't been featured.
davesburgerbarn
I'm late to the discussion...
http://www.onlyinyourstate.com/texas/mouthwatering-burgers-tx/

Save 20% when you mention SicEm365
Wichitabear
I'm very hungry lol
Brian Ethridge
Staff
davesburgerbarn said:

Yes, it is a great burger
stillwaiting
A double double sausage burger from Green's may very well be favorite burger anywhere. Great place. we go down several times a year before various holidays and load up the frig and freezer. Good fun, great food, better people.
Gunny Hartman
Anybody had a burger at Pat Green's joint in Dallas, The Rustic? It's ridiculous. Easily a top 10 burger I've had.
Pam Manhart

Whataburger rap video (hope this link works)
"this can't be a thing, you might be thinking love but, i know its a fling"
https://www.facebook.com/savvybiscuit/videos/623362091402217/
bearsocal
davesburgerbarn said:

Your burgers are the bomb. Get one every time I'm in Waco.
trey3216
Can't believe we're 125 posts into this thread without...

Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
PartyBear
Hat Creek out on 84 in front of the Hollywood Theater is pretty good. Started out as a food truck in Austin and went brick and mortar there and decided to try a little expansion into Waco. I think it is pretty good.
SoonerFrogs
Top of the Hill has a great hamburger. Its located on OSR north of Bryan, about 2 miles west. Better than Whizzbangs.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
SoonerFrogs said:

Top of the Hill has a great hamburger. Its located on OSR north of Bryan, about 2 miles west. Better than Whizzbangs.
Not Waco.
SoonerFrogs
Probably some Vanguard or Reicher parents here might be interested when they travel to play the Bryan teams.
CTbruin
PartyBear said:

Hat Creek out on 84 in front of the Hollywood Theater is pretty good. Started out as a food truck in Austin and went brick and mortar there and decided to try a little expansion into Waco. I think it is pretty good.
Disagree.....average at best.
Banned BarleyMcDougal
PartyBear said:

It's alright, but it's laughably expensive. I think I spent close to 15 bucks for a burger, fries and a drink. If you're going to compete with Whataburger, et. al. then I'd think you'd need to hit a certain price point. This place doesn't.

I'm really good at making "they ain't gonna last long" predictions. Hat Creek is on the list. Of course, it's a pretty easy game in Waco because the clientele is very consistent.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
SoonerFrogs said:

Probably some Vanguard or Reicher parents here might be interested when they travel to play the Bryan teams.
Eat before you go. Skip B/CS.
Banned BarleyMcDougal
Brian Ethridge said:

SoonerFrogs said:

Eat before you go. Skip B/CS.
HA!

Actually, if we stick to the aquatic viaduct theme, B/CS has a pretty good burger place called Koppe Bridge.
trey3216
Why would any of y'all spend a penny in B/CS?
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
Yogi
trey3216 said:

Sodolak's.
PartyBear
BarleyMcDougal said:

PartyBear said:

It's alright, but it's laughably expensive. I think I spent close to 15 bucks for a burger, fries and a drink. If you're going to compete with Whataburger, et. al. then I'd think you'd need to hit a certain price point. This place doesn't.

I'm really good at making "they ain't gonna last long" predictions. Hat Creek is on the list. Of course, it's a pretty easy game in Waco because the clientele is very consistent.

Their niche isn't really fast food. I don't think. I think of them more as a burger joint version of chacho's if you know what that is if not it is a San Antonio Tex Mex chain only down there as far as I know. Hat Creek has beer and several TVs had college football on all of them when I went in October. They aren't really trying to be Whataburger or Burger King.
davesburgerbarn

FOLKS.... Did you know that I give 20% off your entire order when you mention Sicem365 to the cashiers!?! Quit jacking around with other burgers...!
http://www.onlyinyourstate.com/texas/mouthwatering-burgers-tx/

Save 20% when you mention SicEm365
RebelT
I can't speak for Hat Creek anywhere else, but Hat Creek in/around Austin is hot, smoldering garbage.
I still don't know why KenPom likes our offense. - croyse
SoonerFrogs
trey3216 said:

Burger place is not in BCS.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.