Favorite Restaurants of Waco's Past

59,277 Views | 293 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by A Grateful Bear
cowboycwr
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I thought the Elite of the late 90s/early 2000s was good. When it reopened it was never the same and quickly went downhill and was bad.

I also missed several of the places others have mentioned like Waterworks, Bid Daddy's, Oso burrito, and baja burrito.

One I liked that had good food and a cool concept was a restaurant that was located in what is now spice village that was a sports bar type place but a BBQ restaurant with tvs all over and one in each booth that you could get put on whichever game you wanted with a speaker for sound at the table. I forget the name of it and it seemed to only be there about 2 months and then was gone.

I also miss when Cathay house was good. I ate there a while back and it was not very good.

trey3216
cowboycwr said:

I thought the Elite of the late 90s/early 2000s was good. When it reopened it was never the same and quickly went downhill and was bad.

I also missed several of the places others have mentioned like Waterworks, Bid Daddy's, Oso burrito, and baja burrito.

One I liked that had good food and a cool concept was a restaurant that was located in what is now spice village that was a sports bar type place but a BBQ restaurant with tvs all over and one in each booth that you could get put on whichever game you wanted with a speaker for sound at the table. I forget the name of it and it seemed to only be there about 2 months and then was gone.

I also miss when Cathay house was good. I ate there a while back and it was not very good.

Slo Poke's
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
BearnMI
I must be getting old. My two favorites were:

1. Pete's Diner - I believe it was located where Brooks Flats are located today. They had a meal ticket and everyday was a different hot meal. Pete rented homes around campus for students also.

2. Kitok's - I miss seeing Bob and Kitok. My wife and I became good friends with them while we attended Baylor 1977-1980. I will swear that Kitok's soup brought me back to life after food poisoning from bad meat purchased at H.E.8.

One night, there were bad storms in the area and the electrical power went out. There were only two tables of customers at the time. Bob locked the restaurant doors, lit candles and we all ate Korean food together. For many years, we exchanged Christmas cards after that dark night of no electricity.
Steely Dan
TrapIt4Life said:

Loved me some JT McCords

Ah yes, home of the Long Island Iced Tea. Many nights at the bar my frosh year in '83.
WacoKelly83
Doobie:s was awesome. I believe the Doobies moved to Waco post Katrina from the New Orleans area. Then moved back once the rebuilding was completed
TrapIt4Life
Ooooh very interesting. I guess it totally stacks up time wise with Katrina. That place was legit. I think he was taking classes at Baylor as well, he was a big Cajun fella and man, he and his centenarian grandma in the back room there knew how to make some wings.
boxster
BearnMI said:

1. Pete's Diner - I believe it was located where Brooks Flats are located today. They had a meal ticket and everyday was a different hot meal. Pete rented homes around campus for students also.

2. Kitok's - I miss seeing Bob and Kitok. My wife and I became good friends with them while we attended Baylor 1977-1980. I will swear that Kitok's soup brought me back to life after food poisoning from bad meat purchased at H.E.8.

One night, there were bad storms in the area and the electrical power went out. There were only two tables of customers at the time. Bob locked the restaurant doors, lit candles and we all ate Korean food together. For many years, we exchanged Christmas cards after that dark night of no electricity.

Kitok's still going strong.

For me (mostly for nostalgia's sake):

• Miller Family Steakhouse
  • Super Spud
  • Oso Burrito (previously mentioned)
  • Piccadilly Cafeteria

What he wants people to know about Baylor football: I want people to see that Baylor is the class of college football. Record GPAs, 26 different majors, guys challenging themselves to be the best they can be. Guys working in the community and guys working to be the best they can be in football. Want people to know Baylor is a great place as a University. -Coach Matt Rhule
FirmBear24
RebelT said:

Pour one out for Johnny Carino's.

CT approves
cowboycwr
boxster said:

BearnMI said:

Kitok's still going strong.

For me (mostly for nostalgia's sake):

• Miller Family Steakhouse
  • Super Spud
  • Oso Burrito (previously mentioned)
  • Piccadilly Cafeteria

Miller Family steakhouse/Lake Brazos is a good one.

It was really good and it was a shame that it went downhill and eventually closed.
Scratchy Bear
Three pages on this thread and no love for Taco Torch?
Scratchy Bear
trey3216 said:

cowboycwr said:

Slo Poke's
Terrific concept and look. Horrible food and service...although happy hour had 50 cent sliders and $1.50 longnecks that made it almost worth it.
NashvilleBear
BearnMI said:

Eating an order of oriental fries as I read this. Had 24 hours in Waco and number one goal was Kitok, Schmaltz, Lolita's, and Lula Jane cookies!
trey3216
Scratchy Bear said:

trey3216 said:

cowboycwr said:

Slo Poke's
Terrific concept and look. Horrible food and service...although happy hour had 50 cent sliders and $1.50 longnecks that made it almost worth it.
Yep.

Slo Poke's had this deal where if you went up to watch your NFL team for all 16 weeks, you got this little trophy and a $50 gift certificate. We had 5 in our group. Collected $250 in GC's. The Super Bowl that year, pretty sure it was the Pats/Panthers in Houston, was pretty much a blur. We blew the entire lot of GC's on a free Super Bowl party.

RIP
A Grateful Bear
Laverne's Lakeshore Diner!!

Also Schmalz's across from Brooks Hall.
Ben Sims, TE, #8, Senior from San Antonio TX
30 catches for 241 yds, 2 TDs
1 rush for 1 yd, 1 TD
1 unassisted tackle
(Adopt-a-Bear 2022)

Javon Gipson, WR, #19, RFr from Richmond TX
2 catches for 22 yds
I committed to Baylor as a student first, athlete second.
(Adopt-a-Bear 2022 / 2021)
lrwells50
Does anyone else remember the Black Angus on the circle?
CammoTX
trey3216 said:

Scratchy Bear said:

trey3216 said:

cowboycwr said:

Slo Poke's
Yep.

Slo Poke's had this deal where if you went up to watch your NFL team for all 16 weeks, you got this little trophy and a $50 gift certificate. We had 5 in our group. Collected $250 in GC's. The Super Bowl that year, pretty sure it was the Pats/Panthers in Houston, was pretty much a blur. We blew the entire lot of GC's on a free Super Bowl party.

RIP
Slo Pokes also had a HH that lasted half an hour later than Ninfas, IIRC. Start at Ninfas and finish at Slo Pokes.
PartyBear
There was a seafood place in the Slo Poke's space called Franklin's for a little while pre Slo Pokes. It was there in the late 90s. It was pretty good.

I actually liked Slo Pokes btw it had a Memphis style bbq.

There was another place called Burger's and Blues on that corner of that warehouse as well in the very early days of downtown revitalization. (It has actually been occurring since the mid 90s). Burgers and Blues was a cool concept.
Scratchy Bear
CammoTX said:

trey3216 said:

Scratchy Bear said:

trey3216 said:

cowboycwr said:

Slo Poke's
Yep.

RIP
Slo Pokes also had a HH that lasted half an hour later than Ninfas, IIRC. Start at Ninfas and finish at Slo Pokes.
LOL, I almost forgot that. Load up on $0.75 (and later $1.00) drafts and free chips and sauce at Ninfas, then head over to Slo Pokes for cheap sliders and more cheap beer. $10 went pretty far.
Scratchy Bear
Mr. Gatti's also brings back a lot of fond memories.
trey3216
CammoTX said:

trey3216 said:

Scratchy Bear said:

trey3216 said:

cowboycwr said:

Slo Poke's
Yep.

RIP
Ninfas>Gratzianos>Treff's wasn't the correct answer.
Dia del DougO
Yogi said:

What eateries do you wish were still alive and well in Waco?

I'll take Leslie's Chicken Shack off the table, so we can have some more choices.
OK.

Leslie's on Valley Mills.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
2ndguesser
Toddle House, Hickory Stick, Mrs. Brooks from the 50s!

whitetrash
91 posts and not one mention yet of Frank's Big Bear?

If anyone else ever took upper level accounting classes from Emerson Henke, he used to give tests at 6pm instead of during class so you could have 2 hours to take the test. A buddy and I had a routine on test day of studying from noon to 4:30; then going to Frank's for a Two-Timer (chili and cheese on one side of the meat, bbq sauce on the other), plus one quarter for a video game to clear our mind before test time.

Only downside to this routine was about 90 minutes into the exam, the burger would hit bottom and the lower intestinal tract would turn into a Dizzy Gillespie solo.
tombeaux
Yes, Pete's College Inn, across the street from Brooks Hall. If you worked at it, you could get a meal on credit if you were short in cash.
tombeaux
Not a restaurant, but several times we showed up late at night at the bread bakery near one of the bridges over the railroad tracks. You went to the back door and for a quarter, they would bring you an unsliced loaf in a brown paper bag, hot out of the oven. Crack it open, let some butter melt on it, and enjoy!
Showtime
Piccadilly in the mall and Gattiland
docoso
Northwood Inn at the edge of MCC campus.

Probably the highest quality food ever served in Waco.
cowboycwr
tombeaux said:

Not a restaurant, but several times we showed up late at night at the bread bakery near one of the bridges over the railroad tracks. You went to the back door and for a quarter, they would bring you an unsliced loaf in a brown paper bag, hot out of the oven. Crack it open, let some butter melt on it, and enjoy!
The Mrs. Baird's one on 18th?
cowboycwr
trey3216 said:

Scratchy Bear said:

trey3216 said:

cowboycwr said:

Slo Poke's
Yep.

RIP
I remember that promotion. Think I made it to like week 8 and then got really sick and missed the next week.
cowboycwr
trey3216 said:

CammoTX said:

trey3216 said:

Scratchy Bear said:

trey3216 said:

cowboycwr said:

Slo Poke's
Yep.

RIP
Ninfas>Gratzianos>Treff's wasn't the correct answer.
Treff's was a fun place....

Which gives me an idea for another thread..... Waco bars over the years that have come and gone/ always been around. Maybe I can start that on my lunch break later.
A Grateful Bear
Austin Hill? It was a fine dining restaurant set up in one of the renovated old houses on Austin Ave. during the 80's. iirc.
Ben Sims, TE, #8, Senior from San Antonio TX
30 catches for 241 yds, 2 TDs
1 rush for 1 yd, 1 TD
1 unassisted tackle
(Adopt-a-Bear 2022)

Javon Gipson, WR, #19, RFr from Richmond TX
2 catches for 22 yds
I committed to Baylor as a student first, athlete second.
(Adopt-a-Bear 2022 / 2021)
Stranger
I'll have to mention a personal affection for Tommy B's
UPBaylor
86-90 for me. I can't recall a single restaurant I would consider very good. Plenty I kind of liked, but quantity was more important than quality back then.

I have some nostalgic/fond memories of a few because of how bad they were or unique circumstances. A right of passage of college. Waco was a foodie wasteland back then. But, I wasn't a foodie back then.
SSadler
tombeaux said:

Yes, Pete's College Inn, across the street from Brooks Hall. If you worked at it, you could get a meal on credit if you were short in cash.
https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/the-olympia-restaurant-cheeseburger-chips-and-pepsi/3506023

Saturday Night Live January 1978 "Chee-burger! "Chee-burger!" "Chee-burger!" (Belushi, Ackyroyd, et al) could have been scripted from"Pete College Inn." (except smaller)

Pete Dreis owned the College Inn. It was his brother (Frank???) who owned the rental property.

Lots and lots of meals eaten there in the early 1970s. A number of casual "strolling campus" dates would mosey by Petes (he closed early afternoon and did not serve late diners) with the actual goal of actually seeing the cockroachs scampering around the always lighted inside of Pete's Inn..

Pete was good to me and carried me on credit in some weeks I had no food money.

Nothing but greenspace between Brooks and I-35 now.

BBear77
McDonald's on Franklin Ave. Not same as McDonald's now. Predates current McDonald's.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.