Favorite Restaurants of Waco's Past

70,844 Views | 332 Replies | Last: 8 days ago by Yogi
Sampi82
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BaylorHistory said:

I can faintly remember Waterworks as a kid just because of the caboose.

I worked at Waterworks as a bartender while at BU. The only place in town that had live music every night. Sunday night was Baylor night with a choice of specials that I believe was always spaghetti and I think CFS. Sunday night was also amateur night for musicians. Waterworks usually had an ad in the football program.

MrGolfguy
The WaterWorks will forever be a legendary Waco establishment
Well I ain't no greenhorn!!
No Longer Gold
Did waterworks closure have something to do with a body or two being found on the property, or did the 2 events just happen to take place around the same time?
4th and Inches
WacoKelly83 said:

Was a big fan of Wiseguys in Westview Village. Great Chicago style hot beef sandwiches. Closed about 5 or 6 years ago. Poor management seems to be the reason.
poor management seems to be the reason for most eatery failures in Waco...
Adopt-a-Bear 2024

#90 COOPER LANZ ( DL )
CLASS Junior
HT/WT 6' 3", 288 lbs

#50 KAIAN ROBERTS-DAY ( DL )
CLASS Sophomore
HT/WT 6' 3", 273 lbs
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Sampi82 said:

BaylorHistory said:

I can faintly remember Waterworks as a kid just because of the caboose.

I worked at Waterworks as a bartender while at BU. The only place in town that had live music every night. Sunday night was Baylor night with a choice of specials that I believe was always spaghetti and I think CFS. Sunday night was also amateur night for musicians. Waterworks usually had an ad in the football program.

Future Kurt Russell as Wyatt Earp in the ad and all.
trey3216
Gruvin said:

WacoKelly83 said:

Was a big fan of Wiseguys in Westview Village. Great Chicago style hot beef sandwiches. Closed about 5 or 6 years ago. Poor management seems to be the reason.
poor management seems to be the reason for most eatery failures
FIFY
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
Gold Tron
Should have mentioned this one earlier. Sebas Cocina on Austin closed about 6-8 years ago. It was really good. The owner was Sebstian Gorduno and he would come to every table to personally make sure you liked the food. They never got a liquor license but he would pour freely their sangria complements of the house. Anyone else on here miss this place?

The Enchiladas con Hongos were really good.
trey3216
Gold Tron said:

Should have mentioned this one earlier. Sebas Cocina on Austin closed about 6-8 years ago. It was really good. The owner was Sebstian Gorduno and he would come to every table to personally make sure you liked the food. They never got a liquor license but he would pour freely their sangria complements of the house. Anyone else on here miss this place?

The Enchiladas con Hongos were really good.
I loved that place. Real shame it closed down.
PartyBear
There was a place called The Blue Agave or something like that after Seba Cocina which he also owned and it was basically the same place.
greggor25
I loved the Chicken Shack!
Betitall
Pete's right across from Brooks Hall
J.R.
Can I get some love for Jess Radle's out on hyw6? Let me hear from the rednecks!
Scratchy Bear
MrGolfguy said:

The WaterWorks will forever be a legendary Waco establishment
They tried to revive the WaterWorks around late 1999/early 2000 or so. It just wasn't the same. A developer then put a ton of money into it to turn it into The Pump Station, and later, 101 Mill Street. After that it became some strange BYOB club that the owners basically destroyed. All of the original and restored wood, fixtures, etc. were hideously painted over or removed. I hate to see what state the place is in nowadays after being vacant for so long.
Old300Bear
Loved Jess Radles.

Tiny, I bet you got Hickory Stick on the reboot. It was really good in the late 60's.
Fred Barber
PartyBear
Was Hickory Stick of early to mid 80s the original still or a reboot? I know there was a reboot in the late 90s that lasted a couple of years at the most. I thought it was good in the late 90s but the location was no longer that great by then and I imagine that is why it didn't make it.
Wineguy89
SoonerFrogs said:

My father and Nick were close friends. Served in the National Guard together (and were THIS close to getting called to Korea). Had our pre-wedding dinner at Nicks way back when.....and reception on the Brazos Queen!
Richard Reese
(True) Freshman - Bellville, TX
152 carries/791 yards/5.2 YPC/12 touchdowns
11 receptions/80 yards
1 game clinching studly TD vs Kansas
ZERO fumbles

Brett “Big Ballz” Yormark- Commissioner Big 12-16 Conference
One badass new TV contract with more goodies to come
STxBear81
Petes was across from Brooks Hall between Dutton and the I35 access road. Good food.
Waterworks, Brazos Landing and LoneStar Tavern all have been mentioned and were popular places to eat and drink
beardoc
BornAgain said:

Petes was across from Brooks Hall between Dutton and the I35 access road. Good food.
Waterworks, Brazos Landing and LoneStar Tavern all have been mentioned and were popular places to eat and drink

If you didn't mind the occasional rat running across the grill. Late nights after closing time, one could stare into the window and see little yellow beady eyes looking back.
lrwells50
Old300Bear said:

Loved Jess Radles.

Tiny, I bet you got Hickory Stick on the reboot. It was really good in the late 60's.
Late 60's early 70's is when I went.
Sampi82
beardoc said:

BornAgain said:

If you didn't mind the occasional rat running across the grill. Late nights after closing time, one could stare into the window and see little yellow beady eyes looking back.

They likely moved to Cleveland...
BealBear
Burrito King
SIC EM 94
I don't recall ever eating there, but we did drink at Chelsea's quite a bit...it was in Richland Mall I believe.
Sampi82
SIC EM 94 said:

I don't recall ever eating there, but we did drink at Chelsea's quite a bit...it was in Richland Mall I believe.

It was in Richland Mall.

https://www.wacotrib.com/entertainment/accesswaco/return-to-chelsea-street-waco-rockers-reunite-to-commemorate-iconic/article_b673f09b-0287-5512-b8a9-f6095ae9e6d9.html

Chelsea Street Pub had a small stage and tables were so close that some band members could sneak food off when fans weren't watching. Hard rockers had to wait for later sets, after dining families and older mall shoppers had left, before cranking up the volume.

Bands had to play on the hour during their sets. Club managers often feuded with bands over fans moving tables to dance. Guitarist and would-be messiah Vernon Howell, better known as David Koresh, sometimes dropped in.

There was nothing quite like Chelsea Street Pub, according to Waco rockers who remember the place.

Before it abruptly closed in 1996, the venue in Richland Mall was the rock and pop oasis in a Waco world of country music clubs. It also served as a proving ground for young bands, who got plenty of experience during their weeklong gigs.

Ten bands will revisit their memories and dust off their setlists during Chelsea Street Pub Revisited Friday and Saturday at Hog Creek Icehouse.

It's the brainchild of Brian Brown, Waco talent promoter, lead singer with Sloppy Joe and half of the Brian and Jeremy duo. Brown has been booking local acts for Hog Creek Icehouse in recent months, bringing more rock and rhythm-and-blues bands there. In talking with many longtime Waco musicians, he realized their memories often crossed the common ground of Chelsea's small stage and suggested a reunion of the groups that played there in the 1980s and 1990s.

That idea rocked. Interest proved high enough that the reunion now stretches into two nights, each capped by a closing, free-form jam with who's onstage and in the audience.

The Richland Mall Chelsea's was part of a restaurant/pub chain that started in the 1970s and at its height stretched into five states. Live music was part of the corporate strategy and Waco bands willing to travel often picked up gigs on the Chelsea circuit, playing at other Chelseas in Corpus Christi, Abilene, College Station, Louisiana and Wichita Falls.

A Chelsea gig meant six nights of performing, four hours on Monday to Thursday nights with five-hour stints on Friday and Saturday. Bands got a 15-minute break every hour, but had to play at the top of each hour of their set. For young groups starting out, a Chelsea gig meant plenty of time performing, and that time often helped bands cement their sound.

"It really shaped me as a musician," said Brown, who watched bands during a four-year stint as a Chelsea bartender and performed there as well, leading the band Red Eyed Gravy. Watching energetic performers such as Jason Collins of Flashback or Rumorhasit drummer Gary Summers, known for drum solos played on the club's tables, chairs and other hard surfaces, showed Brown just how to entertain an audience.

"It was like paid practice," recalled Rumorhasit lead singer John Maxwell, whose band was onstage the night Chelsea's closed. "It was good money if you didn't spend it all on alcohol during the week."

The club helped establish fan bases for such Waco groups and musicians as The Fringe, Flashback, Rumorhasit, Joe Silva, the MixMasters, Common Ground, Riff Raff, Tony Calhoun and Pleasure, Hourglass and Fivovus. Several of those groups will reunite for this weekend's performances.

More than a few Chelsea's veterans remembered the club's strong drinks and menu items such as the Mountain of Nachos, some of which will be added to Hog Creek's food and drink offerings Friday and Saturday.

The pub's mall location created a different kind of audience: families and mall shoppers finishing their dinner in the early stages of a set, replaced by drinkers and hard partyers as the night progressed.

The weeklong gigs had a rhythm as well. Mondays and Tuesdays sometimes were brutally slow, but word-of-mouth for a good band usually translated into full shows by Friday and Saturday.

Bands and club managers sometimes clashed on how an audience should react, particularly when it came to dancing. Fans often pushed back tables and chairs to clear space to dance in front of the stage, prompting some managers to intervene without the band's help. "Try and get people to stop dancing? Good luck with that," recalled Hourglass leader and drummer Michael Tibbs.

Sometimes what happened off the stage floor created lasting memories. Doug Shafer, guitarist for Whirling Dervish, remembers the night that his rude hand gesture to another band member in view of that musician's kids led to a parking lot fight. Then there was the night he was driving home after a Chelsea's show and found a female fan hiding in the back seat. It was, he said, a different time.

Brown remembered one Chelsea regular, his preferred beverage, and local claim to fame before he became globally infamous. "David Koresh would come in sometimes. He never bothered anybody and drank Miller Genuine Draft, but he had that awesome '67 Camaro outside in the parking lot," he said.

Largemouth Recording Studios producer and engineer David Zychek played Chelsea's in the early '90s with his band Zychek, before joining the nationally touring rock band Night Ranger. Playing the Chelsea circuit could mean a grueling schedule, he recalled: Long nights Monday through Saturday, travel on Sunday, then setting up by 8 a.m. Monday for the next Chelsea date. "It was rugged, but that was the fun of it," he said.

Those long hours, though, benefited local rock groups like Hourglass, said Tibbs. "It was great for us as a band," he said, noting that Hourglass would go on to open for such national acts as the Fabulous Thunderbirds, Leon Russell, Three Dog Night and REO Speedwagon when they'd come through Waco.

The heyday of the Richland Mall Chelsea came during a rich time for rock music as established bands and guitarists such as Eric Clapton, Led Zeppelin, the Eagles and Stevie Ray Vaughan were finding upstarts such as Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Guns n Roses and Stone Temple Pilots muscling their way into the scene.

Waco bands found themselves filling those long sets with mixes of rock covers and their own material. Groups reuniting for this weekend's show, in fact, are brushing off old playlists of Pink Floyd, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Austin band Storyville, the Black Crowes, Ian Moore, Nirvana, Ted Nugent, Soundgarden, Def Leopard and more.

The music may bring back helpful hints for those trying to reconnect 1990s memories to musicians now in middle age.

"We're going to try and figure out who everybody is nobody's skinny and with long hair anymore," Tibbs laughed.

SIC EM 94
Awesome article...thanks for sharing!
kcarlson
Interesting. I graduated in 1996 and I don't think that I had any knowledge that this existed. I may have only stepped foot in Richland Mall once or twice though. Unless we were going to the Crying Shame, we rarely went that far.
SoonerFrogs
what tf is def leopard?
william
SoonerFrogs said:

what tf is def leopard?
hearing impaired large cat missing a forelimb wearing spandex and sporting a rad 'do.

- LFS

{ gotta stop drinking coffee }
pro ecclesia, pro javelina
Stranger
Sampi82 said:

SIC EM 94 said:

It was in Richland Mall.

https://www.wacotrib.com/entertainment/accesswaco/return-to-chelsea-street-waco-rockers-reunite-to-commemorate-iconic/article_b673f09b-0287-5512-b8a9-f6095ae9e6d9.html

Chelsea Street Pub had a small stage and tables were so close that some band members could sneak food off when fans weren't watching. Hard rockers had to wait for later sets, after dining families and older mall shoppers had left, before cranking up the volume.

Bands had to play on the hour during their sets. Club managers often feuded with bands over fans moving tables to dance. Guitarist and would-be messiah Vernon Howell, better known as David Koresh, sometimes dropped in.

There was nothing quite like Chelsea Street Pub, according to Waco rockers who remember the place.

Before it abruptly closed in 1996, the venue in Richland Mall was the rock and pop oasis in a Waco world of country music clubs. It also served as a proving ground for young bands, who got plenty of experience during their weeklong gigs.

Ten bands will revisit their memories and dust off their setlists during Chelsea Street Pub Revisited Friday and Saturday at Hog Creek Icehouse.

It's the brainchild of Brian Brown, Waco talent promoter, lead singer with Sloppy Joe and half of the Brian and Jeremy duo. Brown has been booking local acts for Hog Creek Icehouse in recent months, bringing more rock and rhythm-and-blues bands there. In talking with many longtime Waco musicians, he realized their memories often crossed the common ground of Chelsea's small stage and suggested a reunion of the groups that played there in the 1980s and 1990s.

That idea rocked. Interest proved high enough that the reunion now stretches into two nights, each capped by a closing, free-form jam with who's onstage and in the audience.

The Richland Mall Chelsea's was part of a restaurant/pub chain that started in the 1970s and at its height stretched into five states. Live music was part of the corporate strategy and Waco bands willing to travel often picked up gigs on the Chelsea circuit, playing at other Chelseas in Corpus Christi, Abilene, College Station, Louisiana and Wichita Falls.

A Chelsea gig meant six nights of performing, four hours on Monday to Thursday nights with five-hour stints on Friday and Saturday. Bands got a 15-minute break every hour, but had to play at the top of each hour of their set. For young groups starting out, a Chelsea gig meant plenty of time performing, and that time often helped bands cement their sound.

"It really shaped me as a musician," said Brown, who watched bands during a four-year stint as a Chelsea bartender and performed there as well, leading the band Red Eyed Gravy. Watching energetic performers such as Jason Collins of Flashback or Rumorhasit drummer Gary Summers, known for drum solos played on the club's tables, chairs and other hard surfaces, showed Brown just how to entertain an audience.

"It was like paid practice," recalled Rumorhasit lead singer John Maxwell, whose band was onstage the night Chelsea's closed. "It was good money if you didn't spend it all on alcohol during the week."

The club helped establish fan bases for such Waco groups and musicians as The Fringe, Flashback, Rumorhasit, Joe Silva, the MixMasters, Common Ground, Riff Raff, Tony Calhoun and Pleasure, Hourglass and Fivovus. Several of those groups will reunite for this weekend's performances.

More than a few Chelsea's veterans remembered the club's strong drinks and menu items such as the Mountain of Nachos, some of which will be added to Hog Creek's food and drink offerings Friday and Saturday.

The pub's mall location created a different kind of audience: families and mall shoppers finishing their dinner in the early stages of a set, replaced by drinkers and hard partyers as the night progressed.

The weeklong gigs had a rhythm as well. Mondays and Tuesdays sometimes were brutally slow, but word-of-mouth for a good band usually translated into full shows by Friday and Saturday.

Bands and club managers sometimes clashed on how an audience should react, particularly when it came to dancing. Fans often pushed back tables and chairs to clear space to dance in front of the stage, prompting some managers to intervene without the band's help. "Try and get people to stop dancing? Good luck with that," recalled Hourglass leader and drummer Michael Tibbs.

Sometimes what happened off the stage floor created lasting memories. Doug Shafer, guitarist for Whirling Dervish, remembers the night that his rude hand gesture to another band member in view of that musician's kids led to a parking lot fight. Then there was the night he was driving home after a Chelsea's show and found a female fan hiding in the back seat. It was, he said, a different time.

Brown remembered one Chelsea regular, his preferred beverage, and local claim to fame before he became globally infamous. "David Koresh would come in sometimes. He never bothered anybody and drank Miller Genuine Draft, but he had that awesome '67 Camaro outside in the parking lot," he said.

Largemouth Recording Studios producer and engineer David Zychek played Chelsea's in the early '90s with his band Zychek, before joining the nationally touring rock band Night Ranger. Playing the Chelsea circuit could mean a grueling schedule, he recalled: Long nights Monday through Saturday, travel on Sunday, then setting up by 8 a.m. Monday for the next Chelsea date. "It was rugged, but that was the fun of it," he said.

Those long hours, though, benefited local rock groups like Hourglass, said Tibbs. "It was great for us as a band," he said, noting that Hourglass would go on to open for such national acts as the Fabulous Thunderbirds, Leon Russell, Three Dog Night and REO Speedwagon when they'd come through Waco.

The heyday of the Richland Mall Chelsea came during a rich time for rock music as established bands and guitarists such as Eric Clapton, Led Zeppelin, the Eagles and Stevie Ray Vaughan were finding upstarts such as Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Guns n Roses and Stone Temple Pilots muscling their way into the scene.

Waco bands found themselves filling those long sets with mixes of rock covers and their own material. Groups reuniting for this weekend's show, in fact, are brushing off old playlists of Pink Floyd, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Austin band Storyville, the Black Crowes, Ian Moore, Nirvana, Ted Nugent, Soundgarden, Def Leopard and more.

The music may bring back helpful hints for those trying to reconnect 1990s memories to musicians now in middle age.

"We're going to try and figure out who everybody is nobody's skinny and with long hair anymore," Tibbs laughed.

The lead singer of rif raf worked for me st the Regal Car wash along with David Thibadeaux, drummer for the Branch Davidian Band. Vernon Howell (David Koresh) brought his Camaro in on a regular basis. Thibadeaux survived the fatal fire st the compound. Rock on.
I'm a Bearbacker
Keyser Soze
Brazos Landing - not for food, 3 for 1 Thursday nights
Sampi82
Keyser Soze said:

Brazos Landing - not for food, 3 for 1 Thursday nights

And sometimes live music on the patio and a stop for the Brazos Queen during the summer when they had a booze cruise on Wednesday night.
Moondoggie
Nicks, jtmccords, steak and ale. Hickory stick For pies from holidays.

And PICADILLY!!! The greatest food of them all.
WacoKelly83
This may be the wrong place to post this but here goes.

Need some help. Having a discussion with my brother about the businesses that stood on the site that is now McLane Stadium and parking lots.

As I recall during the 1980's, working from MLK to the river, there was:

gas station on the corner
Holiday Inn behind it
golf driving range
Chinese restaurant
riverfront hotel
and later, a large square shaped nightclub between the hotel and the bridge.

Question is what was the name of the night club? I went there a few times and it was definitely Western themed. Had a small deck on the back. Wasn't around for many years. Or at least I didn't notice when it died.

Anyone know?

trey3216
WacoKelly83 said:

Need some help. Having a discussion with my brother about the businesses that stood on the site that is now McLane Stadium and parking lots.

Holiday Inn behind it
golf driving range
Chinese restaurant
riverfront hotel

Question is what was the name of the night club? I went there a few times and it was definitely Western themed. Had a small deck on the back. Wasn't around for many years. Or at least I didn't notice when it died.

Anyone know?

Mickey's
cowboycwr
trey3216 said:

WacoKelly83 said:

Holiday Inn behind it
golf driving range
Chinese restaurant
riverfront hotel

Anyone know?

Mickey's
After Mickey's closed down it was also reopened as The Horseshoe for a few years.

They had some good deals on drinks, cheap food, sometimes free food if you bought two drinks, etc.
TrapIt4Life

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.