Bear Ridge Selling?

34,691 Views | 250 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by 1outawayBear
beerman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Rumors are heating up that there are multiple tire-kickers to buy the club. It's been extremely quiet but wondering what if anything y'all have heard.
SSadler
Calling CTBruin

Calling CTBruin

Come in CTBruin
MrGolfguy
Really? Tommy just bought it and has done some good things out there, the course condition is just getting back to where it should always be. If true i guess Tommy just bought it to flip it.
beerman
I don't think Tommy had plans to sell this soon.....
trey3216
MrGolfguy said:

Really? Tommy just bought it and has done some good things out there, the course condition is just getting back to where it should always be. If true i guess Tommy just bought it to flip it.
Even if he did, he's damn near performed a miracle getting the course to where it is right now. Gonna cost a lot of $$ to get the clubhouse up to Country Club size and quality with today's building costs. Probably in the neighborhood of $2-4mm.
Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
Bear Doc
I have always maintained that it would be great if ClubCorp would come in and buy it, especially now with it being in much better condition. A combo Baylor Club/Bear Ridge membership... yes please!
trey3216
Bear Doc said:

I have always maintained that it would be great if ClubCorp would come in and buy it, especially now with it being in much better condition. A combo Baylor Club/Bear Ridge membership... yes please!
I would be very happy about that
CTbruin
I also hear the rumors.
baylrballa
It's pretty astounding the turnaround that place has made this past year. And highlights the incompetence of the prior owner.
MrGolfguy
The previous owner just gave up, quit spending money on it - not watering, maintaining bunkers, etc.
trey3216
MrGolfguy said:

The previous owner just gave up, quit spending money on it - not watering, maintaining bunkers, etc.

It's hard to quit spending money when you never really started.
toughbear
Maybe a deal was done this afternoon?
Weston Rogers
MrGolfguy said:

Now we need a group to come in and put him out of his misery with Lake Waco... That property could actually be a great little country club especially with all the growth out towards CS.
trey3216
Weston Rogers said:

MrGolfguy said:

Now we need a group to come in and put him out of his misery with Lake Waco... That property could actually be a great little country club especially with all the growth out towards CS.
Yes Please!!
CTbruin
Heard this morning that a "deal" was done. No details
BellCountyBear
Who was the low-life owner before Tommy?
trey3216
BellCountyBear said:

Baylor Letterman, US gold medal winning Olympian that thought he knew how to run game.
sipembeers
Weston Rogers said:

MrGolfguy said:

This. Tired of looking at a cow track in the summer when they stop maintaining the course in the summer.
Stranger
trey3216 said:

BellCountyBear said:

Baylor Letterman, US gold medal winning Olympian that thought he knew how to run game.

Bob went to the University of Illinois-Urbana, not Baylor. He did win two Olympic gold medals in the pole vault with a steel pole.(1952,1956). No other vaulter ever won two. He hates fiberglass poles and thinks all records with fiberglass are illegitimate.

The man is 95 years old and probably hasn't seen those golf courses in years. His sons ran them, He paid a million a piece for them and I wonder why. He had never spent a dime on them since.
I'm a Bearbacker
trey3216
Stranger said:

trey3216 said:

BellCountyBear said:

Bob went to the University of Illinois-Urbana, not Baylor. He did win two Olympic gold medals in the pole vault with a steel pole.(1953,1956). No other vaulter ever won two. He hates fiberglass poles and thinks all records with fiberglass are illegitimate.

The man is 95 years old and probably hasn't seen those golf courses in years. His sons ran them, He paid a million a piece for them and I wonder why. He had never spent a dime on them since.
my bad on the Baylor ref, I thought I had seen he went here for some reason. But I wasn't wrong otherwise.
Stranger
I'm a Bearbacker
Stranger
trey3216 said:

Stranger said:

trey3216 said:

BellCountyBear said:

Bob went to the University of Illinois-Urbana, not Baylor. He did win two Olympic gold medals in the pole vault with a steel pole.(1953,1956). No other vaulter ever won two. He hates fiberglass poles and thinks all records with fiberglass are illegitimate.

my bad on the Baylor ref, I thought I had seen he went here for some reason. But I wasn't wrong otherwise.

Maybe it's because he's lived in Woodway for thirty or forty years.
I'm a Bearbacker
toughbear
and had sons and grandsons who were on the the Baylor track team
trey3216
toughbear said:

and had sons and grandsons who were on the the Baylor track team
correct
Old300Bear
One of my friends thinks the City of Waco is buying the course.
Fred Barber
Bexar Pitts
Old300Bear said:

While that might benefit golfers ( in terms of stability) , wouldn't taxpayers be bearing the high costs of water to keep it going? I love the game, and believe that Cottonwood already offers Waco citizens a great muni course, but the costs of ownership seem to be getting "higher by the gallon."
trey3216
Bexar Pitts said:

Old300Bear said:

While that might benefit golfers ( in terms of stability) , wouldn't taxpayers be bearing the high costs of water to keep it going? I love the game, and believe that Cottonwood already offers Waco citizens a great muni course, but the costs of ownership seem to be getting "higher by the gallon."

Bear Ridge is in much better shape than Cottonwood.
sipembeers
Old300Bear said:

I'd love another muni course. Although I was under the impression that the current owner was tying to gain more membership. Seems if city is buying it, he hasn't had buy in from those in the surrounding neighborhood.
baylrballa
Bexar Pitts said:

Old300Bear said:

Don't know for sure, but I'd be shocked if cottonwood wasn't turning a profit. And it's an above average muni course that is way overcrowded.
Bexar Pitts
trey3216 said:

Bexar Pitts said:

Old300Bear said:

Bear Ridge is in much better shape than Cottonwood.
Does that mean that the City isn't taking care of it's sole muni course? I haven't played in years, and truly don't know the conditions of either one..I do remember years ago the owners/operators of the Lake were complaining to the City Council about having to pay high water costs while Cottonwood was subsidized by the City.
Bexar Pitts
baylrballa said:

Bexar Pitts said:

Old300Bear said:

Don't know for sure, but I'd be shocked if cottonwood wasn't turning a profit. And it's an above average muni course that is way overcrowded.
Haven't played in many moons, but the last time I played Cottonwood it was indeed in great shape..You could tell water wasn't an issue for them.
CTbruin
Cottonwood suffered significant damage during the freeze.

The City is doing their job IMO
Bexar Pitts
CTbruin said:

I can imagine the damage done to all the courses during the big freeze. Had to be hard on almost everything outside. I do think the City has a definite asset in Cottonwood.
trey3216
CTbruin said:

City is doing their job, but their greenskeeper dropped the ball big time during the freeze and the greens got massacred.
PartyBear
I'm not sure what the greens keeper could have done to fight hard freeze.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.