Bear Ridge Selling?

34,690 Views | 250 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by 1outawayBear
Weston Rogers
How long do you want to ignore this user?
PartyBear said:

I'm not sure what the greens keeper could have done to fight hard freeze.

Covered the greens
trey3216
PartyBear said:

I'm not sure what the greens keeper could have done to fight hard freeze.
he could have done what the greenskeeper at Bear Ridge did...oversoak the greens before the temps drop below freezing and then cover the greens until after the temps get above freezing. They waited too long to cover them and they didn't soak them, and they died.
Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
Snuf
Cottonwood does not have covers for their greens. They may in the future.
loanbear
Anyone confirm who the buyer was for the course?
CTbruin
No

Apparently not done. Just being considered
91 Bear
I would be shocked if the city of Waco was interested in acquiring another golf course. I think there was an article in the Trib a few years ago setting forth how much money the City loses annually on Cottonwood. The justification for the loss is that cities do need entertainment to bring in new businesses and citizens and that golf tourneys bring in money to the local economy. I did not look up the article and might be "misremembering" but I recall it being common knowledge that Cottowood loses money.
southtexasbear
Someone told me last night the sale was complete. Still no word on who the purchaser is. Interesting why they're keeping their name out of the public eye still.
Bexar Pitts
Saw some of their TV ads last night..advertising public play...
CTbruin
I have heard the City. But not confirmed.
beerman
I'm hearing it was city of Waco as well.
loanbear
Interesting. Played in a tournament this weekend and the word was that the buyers/seller have an NDA in place that ends on July 1st.

Was told it was a group of 4 guys, not the city. No clue if true but thought I would pass along what I heard.
toughbear
I have played @ BR a couple of times recently. Certainly better than 2 years ago but still not what you would call an A or B rated course. Probably a C would be more accurate.
BamaGoose
To all of you golf course superintendent wannabes and Monday Morning QB's. Lighten up on Cottonwopd Supt. First, he cant just run down to local co-op and get greens covers. They are custom made to fit the shape of each green. They are expensive. Last time I bought them for an 18 hole course with greens of avg size of about 4,000 sq' (similar to Cwood) they were over $20k. The over challenge of the covers is labor rec'd. Each green must be covered with a specific cover made for that green and they must be stapled at about 2 -3' intervals to protect from wind. In Central Texas greens covers are important (even critical) when a phenomenon like occurred last winter but most years they really arent needed. Actually if the severe temps are preceded by snow or ice that even serve as an insulator. But when temps are prolonged for 36-48 hrs or more and in 20's and lower snow and ice wont insulate at all. Wind also plays a factor. You might notice the most stress to fairways from winter kill on slopes facing north. All of this to say greens covers, yes or no, is a mgmt and budgetary decision that really pays off some years and seems like a waste of money in other years. Suggest you lighten up on criticism of the course Supt until you know more about what you are talking about
trey3216
Goose70 said:

To all of you golf course superintendent wannabes and Monday Morning QB's. Lighten up on Cottonwopd Supt. First, he cant just run down to local co-op and get greens covers. They are custom made to fit the shape of each green. They are expensive. Last time I bought them for an 18 hole course with greens of avg size of about 4,000 sq' (similar to Cwood) they were over $20k. The over challenge of the covers is labor rec'd. Each green must be covered with a specific cover made for that green and they must be stapled at about 2 -3' intervals to protect from wind. In Central Texas greens covers are important (even critical) when a phenomenon like occurred last winter but most years they really arent needed. Actually if the severe temps are preceded by snow or ice that even serve as an insulator. But when temps are prolonged for 36-48 hrs or more and in 20's and lower snow and ice wont insulate at all. Wind also plays a factor. You might notice the most stress to fairways from winter kill on slopes facing north. All of this to say greens covers, yes or no, is a mgmt and budgetary decision that really pays off some years and seems like a waste of money in other years. Suggest you lighten up on criticism of the course Supt until you know more about what you are talking about

Fair enough. It wasn't meant as an attack, merely the truth.
Bear Doc
beerman
Goose70 said:

Dude, I'd pay you to come speak at my club and explain to our bone-headed members that growing grass has more to do with God and budgets and trees than a super (who graduated from one of the premier programs in the country) intentionally creating a bad lie or just failing to know how to do his/her job.

Well said and very true. I don't think Trey intended to bash the super, but your perspective is appreciated and so relevant across golfing facilities of all kinds.
BamaGoose
Beerman, thank you for taking my post in the way I intended. I unnecessarily included a couple snarky comments but very glad you took it as an attempt to be helpful
beerman
Goose70 said:

Beerman, thank you for taking my post in the way I intended. I unnecessarily included a couple snarky comments but very glad you took it as an attempt to be helpful

Of course. The amount of effort that the overwhelmingly vast majority of supers put into their jobs is impressive. Ours works his rear off, works ridiculous hours and mostly hears complaints (from a loud minority of members). But, you made a great point about folks that have no clue what it actually takes to maintain a course the way every super would like to maintain the course.

Don't even get me started on amateur golf course architects
BamaGoose
You pegged it right on in earlier post. Of course a well trained Super is at the center of things but the best Super on the planet is helpless without sufficient budget and cooperation by Mother Nature
Stranger
It comes from a very reliable source that the buyer is the City of Waco.
I'm a Bearbacker
sipembeers
Stranger said:

It comes from a very reliable source that the buyer is the City of Waco.

Was coming to post this.
Bear Doc
Is a city municipal course allowed to still have members? I know there are many who have joined out there since the improvements began....
CorsicanaBear
So the highest and best use for my tax dollars is a golf course. I am not amused.
Illigitimus non carborundum
Stranger
CorsicanaBear said:

So the highest and best use for my tax dollars is a golf course. I am not amused.

would you rather have a skate board park?
I'm a Bearbacker
trey3216
CorsicanaBear said:

Username does not check out.
TechDawgMc
Bear Doc said:

Is a city municipal course allowed to still have members? I know there are many who have joined out there since the improvements began....
Sammons in Temple has "members". It's mostly just about paying monthly rather than every time you play. And, i think, there's a cart discount that goes with it.
CorsicanaBear
Quote:

Proud resident of Waco despite user name. However, government mission creep should be opposed everywhere.
trey3216
CorsicanaBear said:

Quote:

Proud resident of Waco despite user name. However, government mission creep should be opposed everywhere.
Well, if it helps get things back in town like the Starburst tournament because we have better courses, it does help the taxpayer by injecting $$ into the local economy. And I'm definitely one who's weary of govt intercedence.
loanbear
Glad it is the city. Should make the course more consistent in quality going forward. If they can keep it up like Cottonwood(aside from the recent Green debacle) then that course will be a real asset for the city and residents. I am guessing they may drop the pricing a bit from where it is now as well.
Weston Rogers
CorsicanaBear said:

As a Waco taxpayer myself I'm more than okay with this use of my tax dollars.
BBear77
Why does Waco need two city owned golf courses?

Seems fool hearty considering the negative economic effects of the pandemic (which is ongoing) and the current economic downturn. Money better spent on populace as a whole.
BBear77
One thing I would never do is use the words government and quality in the same sentence. /s/
Showtime
Yeah, I mean I'm not a pro at how city budgets work but there are a bunch of crappy roads throughout Waco I'd love to see repaired before money is spent on a golf course. Some of the roads around here physically hurt to drive on.
CorsicanaBear
Quote:

it does help the taxpayer by injecting $$ into the local economy
I've heard that kind of argument a lot. But did your taxes ever go down because of one of these "investments", or did they just keep going up? Did you get a dividend from the hotel and restaurant owners who are making the money? Specifically, how have you ever benefited from something like this (unless you just like playing golf and the answer is self evident)?
CTbruin
BBear77 said:

Why does Waco need two city owned golf courses?

Seems fool hearty considering the negative economic effects of the pandemic (which is ongoing) and the current economic downturn. Money better spent on populace as a whole.

Simple

McLennan County is approaching a population of 300,000. We have only 3 decent golf courses including Bear Ridge. If we are to continue to attract new businesses like Amazon, we must provide all phases of entertainment venues including decent golf. Bear Ridge will not need much subsidy, if any.

Yes, streets need repair. But business and population growth provides additional tax revenues that will help the city operating budget.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.