Bear Ridge Selling?

34,985 Views | 250 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by 1outawayBear
Bexar Pitts
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Wonder if the funds planned for this are going.. somewhere else? https://www.kwtx.com/2021/06/17/waco-city-staff-recommends-pause-franklin-avenue-conversion/
CTbruin
The City has multiple sources of funds. Not just tax dollars.

Several State and Federal grants are for specific purposes. Some grant funds could be a source for Bear Ridge.
Stranger
CTbruin said:

Several State and Federal grants are for specific purposes. Sogrant funds could be a source for Bear Ridge.

CT, I know your experience and expertise . I marvel at the lack of same exhibited by some of the posters on this thread who are offering advice on this subject without knowing the first thing about business, golf or otherwise.
CTbruin
Well thank you
Bexar Pitts
CTbruin said:

Several State and Federal grants are for specific purposes. Some grant funds could be a source for Bear Ridge.
Would Waco be able to use any of it's govt. Covid funds that it has been given for this type of "infrastructure?" I've actually heard that the City is considering purchasing the Lake course also. That's nothing more than rumor, however.
CTbruin
I certainly don't want that to happen. Although China Spring needs it.

The course is a disaster. Would be better served as a residential development IMO

And it's a shame. I'm old enough to remember when the LPGA had a tournament there.
sipembeers
CTbruin said:

The course is a disaster. Would be better served as a residential development IMO

And it's a shame. I'm old enough to remember when the LPGA had a tournament there.

In a flood plain so that won't happen. We don't need anymore development in China spring. There are plenty of homes going up elsewhere.

I think the city would be better off buying Lake Waco, but they would have to spend more money to tear down the current club house and restaurant.
whitetrash
CTbruin said:

Ah yes, the Pure Milk Quality Chekd Open.
Bexar Pitts
CTbruin said:

I remember that LPGA event there too. I think that apparently some believe that the City could currently "buy it right" is what got that rumor started.
CTbruin
The Lake would have to be completely rebuilt. Irrigation, club house, cart paths, not to mention the entire course itself. Might as well build a new course from scratch.
sipembeers
CTbruin said:

The Lake would have to be completely rebuilt. Irrigation, club house, cart paths, not to mention the entire course itself. Might as well build a new course from scratch.

Agreed. There is money actually going into the course now. Not the extent of bear ridge.

They actually punched and over seeded the greens this spring. They do need to re run all sprinklers on the course.
Bexar Pitts
CTbruin said:

The details of building and/or maintaining a top notch course are way out of my wheelhouse. I love the game..used to play a lot...most of my old golfing buddies are in the Big 19th Hole... I'm intrigued by the current situation of our city leaders in spending recreation dollars in their highest and best use..Golf seems to be able to involve/benefit a wide cross section of citizenry, and I am always in favor of wisely making Waco a more attractive place to live, work, and play.
Stranger
sipembeers said:

CTbruin said:

Agreed. There is money actually going into the course now. Not the extent of bear ridge.

They actually punched and over seeded the greens this spring. They do need to re run all sprinklers on the course.

those greens have never been rebuilt since the course was new 60 years ago.
sipembeers
Stranger said:

sipembeers said:

CTbruin said:

I live one the course, I assure you they punched and seeded.

Texted some buddies that live down the street and we were all amazed.
BamaGoose
Sipem': I know you meant well but you dont "overseed" Bermuda greens unless you are referring to overseeing with a cool season grass for the winter - not usually done in Central Texas anyway. I have no idea what is meant by "rerun the sptinklers". I am not wanting to insult you but would be nice if you just said the course is in need of major improvements and leave it at that. Daily fee golf courses, and even many country clubs, are loaded with 8 handicap weekend players who like to weigh in on how much they know- but often just embarrass themselves. Simply put: it sounds like "The Lake" just needs $ and TLC.
sipembeers
DavidCorreaBU
I remember playing at the Lake when I was at Baylor. They moved the golf classes out there when Ray Lamb had his academy there.

Holed out from the fairway on #9 after topping the mess out of that shot, best bad shot I ever hit.

That Par 3 track they had was a great practice facility.

I remember when they rebranded from Lake Waco Golf and Country Club to "The Lake". Man we played a lot of golf there from 2000-2005.
Stranger
sipembeers said:

Stranger said:

sipembeers said:

CTbruin said:

I live one the course, I assure you they punched and seeded.

Texted some buddies that live down the street and we were all amazed.

punching and over seeding are fine. I said they have they have not rebuilt. Several superintendents assure me they haven't been scraped down and rebuilt since the course was constructed.
BamaGoose
Lk Waco and Qual Chevk Classic....a walk down memory lane for this ol Goat. Baylor Golf Team en mass was all over it and somehow we befriended several players- most notably Donna Caponi, at that time a middle of the road LPGA player and her sister, Janet, who never made it big time but was by far best looking player on tour. Anyway , they both took to us and we took to them. Many of us stayed in contact with them both for many years. Donna went on to be 2 time winner of Ladies US Open. Anyway, I digress only to recall what a really big time the QCkd Classic and Lake Waco was. Guys, who never saw it in those days probably cant even imagine how big time it was. As an old Goat who likely wont live to see it, how great it would be to see Lk Waco make a big time comeback
Marlin3030
We live at twin rivers but a few friends and i use to play lake Waco about once a month. For a time we really enjoyed it, it was a fantastic course.

I haven't played it in two years. I'm not a course snob and at best i could be considered a below average player but i hate cotton wood.......mainly because of the crowds and when lake Waco was decent it was a great alternative from bear ridge.
Bearmanly
Played at Bear Ridge last week. The course is in great shape. The greens are like marble, but definitely better than Cottonwood right now.
Fat Daddy
Any news on this.... or is Tommy still trying to identify a buyer?
CTbruin
Based on his quotes in the Trib, we should hear something in the next two or three weeks
1outawayBear
Twin looking beautiful today
CTbruin
August 1 closing date is the latest
Fat Daddy
Well, did UT and OU's jump to the SEC queer the deal?
CTbruin
You can't use queer. You serve time for that.

Seriously, the sale was supposed to be announced last Monday. Don't know what happened.
beerman
Still hearing sale to CoW is imminent, just waiting on the full-council to meet in-person and apporove.
Stranger
I'm a Bearbacker
1outawayBear
To the members and non members of Bear Ridge Golf Club.

I am excited to have Barnett's running our bar and grill.
I ask that you give them the support you have given me.

Thanks again for your support and we are committed to keep on improving Bear Ridge.

T & Sandy
Wacolegend
1outawayBear said:

Thanks again for your support and we are committed to keep on improving Bear Ridge.

T & Sandy

Just saw this online, awesome move guys!
Fire Mack Rhoades. Ban all faculty yes-men.
loanbear
Wacolegend said:

1outawayBear said:

T & Sandy

So excited to have this. We live in Twin and it will be great to walk over to get some quality food and a drink!
1outawayBear
loanbear said:

Wacolegend said:

1outawayBear said:

T & Sandy

So excited to have this. We live in Twin and it will be great to walk over to get some quality food and a drink!
we live there as well and my wife is very excited about this
MrGolfguy
1outawayBear said:

T & Sandy
Got this email also. Does the fact that it came from Tommy mean he still owns BR and the whole thing about Waco buying it was wrong?
Well I ain't no greenhorn!!
baylrballa
1outawayBear said:

T & Sandy

Oh wow. Will definitely drop by.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.