Bear Ridge Selling?

34,699 Views | 250 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by 1outawayBear
Stranger
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BBear77 said:

Why does Waco need two city owned golf courses?

Seems fool hearty considering the negative economic effects of the pandemic (which is ongoing) and the current economic downturn. Money better spent on populace as a whole.

You are obviously talking out of your ass unless you know the financial numbers of this deal. This might be the bargain of the century for the city. It's always easy to spend other people's money. Let me know when you stumble into the facts.

Oh, and by the way, the pandemic is over. Look around.
Bear Doc
I get the city buying this, but what I don't understand is the willingness of the current owner to sell?

Seems like he was just about to get that place to being pretty profitable unless his plan was just to flip it all along...
CorsicanaBear
Quote:

If we are to continue to attract new businesses like Amazon, we must provide all phases of entertainment venues including decent golf.
Entertainment needs to be economically viable. If Golf courses were economically viable they nobody would consider selling them. It is not the business of Government to provide entertainment.
Illigitimus non carborundum
CTbruin
There is a good reason for the sale.
BBear77
CTbruin said:

BBear77 said:

Seems fool hearty considering the negative economic effects of the pandemic (which is ongoing) and the current economic downturn. Money better spent on populace as a whole.

Simple

McLennan County is approaching a population of 300,000. We have only 3 decent golf courses including Bear Ridge. If we are to continue to attract new businesses like Amazon, we must provide all phases of entertainment venues including decent golf. Bear Ridge will not need much subsidy, if any.

Yes, streets need repair. But business and population growth provides additional tax revenues that will help the city operating budget.

No so simple.

No business will come to Waco because of a golf course(s) but the ability to make money, something most golf courses do not do especially a stand alone golf course. It will have to be subsidized just like Cottonwood.

Bad investment and not the right time to make such a move all things considered.

CTbruin
Agree to disagree
BBear77
Stranger said:

BBear77 said:

You are obviously talking out of your ass unless you know the financial numbers of this deal. This might be the bargain of the century for the city. It's always easy to spend other people's money. Let me know when you stumble into the facts.

Oh, and by the way, the pandemic is over. Look around.

This might be a good deal? Who is talking out of their ass?

Tommy bought at a good price and I would expect him to recover his investment.

BBear77
For all in the know. I have just spoke with those with city and they stated nothing official has been decided. There are discussions but nothing final.
baylrballa
CorsicanaBear said:

Quote:

If we are to continue to attract new businesses like Amazon, we must provide all phases of entertainment venues including decent golf.
Entertainment needs to be economically viable. If Golf courses were economically viable they nobody would consider selling them. It is not the business of Government to provide entertainment.

There's 15,000 courses in the US because they don't make money?
BBear77
baylrballa said:

CorsicanaBear said:

Quote:

There's 15,000 courses in the US because they don't make money?

Most stand alone courses struggle to stay afloat especially where there are competitive courses in same locale.
BBear77
CTbruin said:

Agree to disagree

But we can agree Amazon did locate in Waco for its golf courses.
trey3216
BBear77 said:

CTbruin said:

Agree to disagree

Man you are walking straight down Anecdotal Strawman Alley, aren't ya?
Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
BBear77
trey3216 said:

BBear77 said:

CTbruin said:

Agree to disagree

Nah! Just trying to confirm the fact Amazon came to Waco for our golf courses.
trey3216
BBear77 said:

trey3216 said:

BBear77 said:

CTbruin said:

Agree to disagree

possibly not involved with a fulfillment center, but increasing quality and quantity of entertainment options definitely helped with getting an additional 1500 SpaceX jobs here. Your cynicism is duly noted and is as cutting as your lack of understanding how attracting large, higher wage corporations works
BBear77
trey3216 said:

BBear77 said:

trey3216 said:

BBear77 said:

CTbruin said:

Agree to disagree

possibly not involved with a fulfillment center, but increasing quality and quantity of entertainment options definitely helped with getting an additional 1500 SpaceX jobs here. Your cynicism is duly noted and is as cutting as your lack of understanding how attracting large, higher wage corporations works

Trey,

Has nothing to do with cynicism but reality. I have been around Central Texas long enough to see how these feel good things were brought to the table with the expectations that if you have them they will come and failed to produce the results their supporters thought they would bring. Didn't happen and will not happen if you believe that is why high wage jobs would come to Central Texas. Think resources and location.

I have seen too many wasted opportunities. My hope is fresh blood does not continue the old ways so Waco/Cental Texas can catch up to the 21st century

FYI, SpaceX didn't come to Waco/Central Texas for the reason you laid out rather an idea location that could not be used for much else due to environment issues. A win for SpaceX and the City of McGregor.

baylrballa
If something didn't work, should probably not try anything remotely similar. -Old Waco

Because waco did so well from the 60s to 2000s
BBear77
baylrballa said:

If something didn't work, should probably not try anything remotely similar. -Old Waco

Because waco did so well from the 60s to 2000s

My point.

Reminds me of the definition of insanity.
CTbruin
I've been in business development for 40+ years. I assure you the Waco Chamber makes certain they take prospective entity execs to Ridgewood, Bear Ridge, Twin Rivers, Hidden Valley, etc when they come to visit

Of course Amazon is not coming to town for the golf, but our entire location and all venues are needed to sell
Nguyen One Soon
CTbruin said:

I've been in business development for 40+ years. I assure you the Waco Chamber makes certain they take prospective entity execs to Ridgewood, Bear Ridge, Twin Rivers, Hidden Valley, etc when they come to visit

Of course Amazon is not coming to town for the golf, but our entire location and all venues are needed to sell

Good point. Was involved for several years with the Waco Chamber working with business prospects. Was such a change from the old days when there were concerted efforts by business leaders to keep new businesses out. Retailers didn't want to pay increased wages to keep employees.
BBear77
CTbruin said:

Agreed. But it does not justify the city buying Bear Ridge.

Just bad optics. Besides if The Bear is a great deal there is a lot of money out there looking for good investments.

Get our chamber help Tommy to find a buyer who can take over and continue to improve the venue.
Stranger
BBear77 said:

CTbruin said:

Just bad optics. Besides if The Bear is a great deal there is a lot of money out there looking for good investments.

Get our chamber help Tommy to find a buyer who can take over and continue to improve the venue.

All you have proven with your continued, pointless arguments is that you don't know when to shut up.
BBear77
Stranger said:

BBear77 said:

CTbruin said:

All you have proven with your continued, pointless arguments is that you don't know when to shut up.

This all you got? Time to go to bed junior.
Stranger
BBear77 said:

Stranger said:

BBear77 said:

CTbruin said:

I've just been waiting for you to make just one salient point. Guess I'll have to go to bed disappointed.
trey3216
BBear77 said:

trey3216 said:

BBear77 said:

trey3216 said:

BBear77 said:

CTbruin said:

Agree to disagree

Trey,

Has nothing to do with cynicism but reality. I have been around Central Texas long enough to see how these feel good things were brought to the table with the expectations that if you have them they will come and failed to produce the results their supporters thought they would bring. Didn't happen and will not happen if you believe that is why high wage jobs would come to Central Texas. Think resources and location.

I have seen too many wasted opportunities. My hope is fresh blood does not continue the old ways so Waco/Cental Texas can catch up to the 21st century

FYI, SpaceX didn't come to Waco/Central Texas for the reason you laid out rather an idea location that could not be used for much else due to environment issues. A win for SpaceX and the City of McGregor.

originally. But then they added an additional 1500 or so jobs to their MCGREGOR location specifically because of how the community is investing in growth. You clearly are out of your league discussing economic growth with people that work on economic growth for a living, so I'll leave it therekindly
Wacolegend
BBear77 said:

CTbruin said:

I do think overall quality of life is important for economic relocations. Waco is effectively down to 2.5 golf courses given all the upcoming and ongoing renovations. The best courses are either munis or privates. Public courses don't make money unless you are a top 100 destination.
Punters win championships.
BBear77
trey3216 said:

BBear77 said:

trey3216 said:

BBear77 said:

trey3216 said:

BBear77 said:

CTbruin said:

Agree to disagree

Trey,

originally. But then they added an additional 1500 or so jobs to their MCGREGOR location specifically because of how the community is investing in growth. You clearly are out of your league discussing economic growth with people that work on economic growth for a living, so I'll leave it therekindly

Chuckle, know it all, master of none. I have read enough of your post I wouldn't trust you to know how to take my trash out.
BBear77
Stranger said:

BBear77 said:

Stranger said:

BBear77 said:

CTbruin said:

I've just been waiting for you to make just one salient point. Guess I'll have to go to bed disappointed.

Sleep well.
trey3216
BBear77 said:

trey3216 said:

BBear77 said:

trey3216 said:

BBear77 said:

trey3216 said:

BBear77 said:

CTbruin said:

Agree to disagree

Trey,

Chuckle, know it all, master of none. I have read enough of your post I wouldn't trust you to know how to take my trash out.

you apparently don't read your own posts to see how you contradict yourself. "I don't want Waco to be like old waco but I don't want to invest in Waco just like old waco didn't invest in old waco so it stays old waco." Good job, bro
BBear77
trey3216 said:

BBear77 said:

trey3216 said:

BBear77 said:

trey3216 said:

BBear77 said:

trey3216 said:

BBear77 said:

CTbruin said:

Agree to disagree

Trey,

you apparently don't read your own posts to see how you contradict yourself. "I don't want Waco to be like old waco but I don't want to invest in Waco just like old waco didn't invest in old waco so it stays old waco." Good job, bro

Answer this question- if this is such a great investment for the city, why hasn't Baylor's name not been brought as a potential buyer? Wasn't that the original plan for the course to be their home course but we all know where that ended up. If the numbers work, why wouldn't they buy?
trey3216
BBear77 said:

trey3216 said:

BBear77 said:

trey3216 said:

BBear77 said:

trey3216 said:

BBear77 said:

trey3216 said:

BBear77 said:

CTbruin said:

Agree to disagree

Trey,

Answer this question- if this is such a great investment for the city, why hasn't Baylor's name not been brought as a potential buyer? Wasn't that the original plan for the course to be their home course but we all know where that ended up. If the numbers work, why wouldn't they buy?
is t Baylor still in the process of building their own course down by the river? Not that I remember. And why would it be profitable for the university to get 25-40 rounds/day in by already subsidized athletes rather than having a facility they can use at a discounted rate that is still fully playable by the public? I know it still would've been fully playable, but man, your retorts.
Old300Bear
If Waco does buy it, I hope they build a kick ass public pool. They won't, but I wish they would.
Fred Barber
BamaGoose
Guys, you are so busy barking at each other and many of you trying to make a case that you are smarter than the other guy, it is really difficult to find meaningful exchange of ideas. I am still fairly new to this site so I have a lot yo learn about how it works; but it doesnt take a helluva lot of smarts to see the personal back and forth chatter is a distraction. Knock it off. This is an interesting topic worthy of good discussion but your childish insults back and forth are distracting.
CTbruin
Goose70 said:

Guys, you are so busy barking at each other and many of you trying to make a case that you are smarter than the other guy, it is really difficult to find meaningful exchange of ideas. I am still fairly new to this site so I have a lot yo learn about how it works; but it doesnt take a helluva lot of smarts to see the personal back and forth chatter is a distraction. Knock it off. This is an interesting topic worthy of good discussion but your childish insults back and forth are distracting.
Exactly the reason many of us don't post much here any more.
BBear77
CT, I agree. I M done.
SSadler
trey3216

If what you are asking about is the location on University Parks east of campus, that is simply a practice facility for the golf teams. Neither a 9 nor an 18 (though perphaps creative imagination could make a par 3 challenge there). It is only large enough for full driver corner to corner, and then an assortment of greens, traps, hazzards scattered around for all kinds of practice shots.

Not available to public play.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.