Downtown Waco

13,328 Views | 95 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by forza orsi
Fat Daddy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Swart Dra said:

Absolutely.

But that's Waco, not Baylor.

Big time schools have all their stuff on campus.

Better promotes the size and status of the self sustaining university.

You ever been to a basketball game at storied Kentucky? Do you know where they play?
trey3216
Swart Dra said:

baylrballa said:

I still can't believe people argue with a straight face that the Ferrell center parking lot is a better location.

100 times better.

The spot in the other side of the track facility it 1000 times better.

Downtown sucks.

It's not even close enough to discuss.

Just another example of those that can, do, and those that can't, work at a university.

Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
BUbearinARK
trey3216 said:

Swart Dra said:

baylrballa said:

I still can't believe people argue with a straight face that the Ferrell center parking lot is a better location.

100 times better.

Downtown sucks.

Just another example of those that can, do, and those that can't, work at a university.

Where is magnolia located?
trey3216
BUbearinARK said:

trey3216 said:

Swart Dra said:

baylrballa said:

100 times better.

Downtown sucks.

Where is magnolia located?

Some 6-8 blocks from the proposed site.
BUbearinARK
trey3216
I mean, this special S-O-B whines about 35 being a barrier, but wants to put the arena across an even larger real barrier, in the middle of an undeveloped swamp. Genius. Build Mulk a Colossus of Braz statue from the golden nipple to the new arena squatting down and cussing at the officials while we fail to make another final four while we're at it.
Boernebear
Swart Dra said:

baylrballa said:

100 times better.

Downtown sucks.

I have a loft downtown and see how much activity there is with students and alums already and that's before all the riverfront development has come in. Downtown is awesome & the basketball pavilion will be a spectacular success.

People want to be downtown and have access to restaurants, bars and other amenities - not simply drive to a bland parking lot by the FC. You need to offer an entire experience today and Baylor understands that. This portion of downtown (or "West Campus", Kim) will be more like a part of campus with student apartments and venues (including live music, etc) geared toward students that are all walkable. It's a game changer for the university and the basketball programs. I can't wait!

Sampi82
I know it is easier to call the site "downtown" when discussing the location but next to Clifton Robinson Tower is not any more downtown than that building is.
“We have two lives, and the second begins when we realize we only have one.”
Grinnin bear
Boernebear said:

Swart Dra said:

baylrballa said:

100 times better.

Downtown sucks.

I have a loft downtown and see how much activity there is with students and alums already and that's before all the riverfront development has come in. Downtown is awesome & the basketball pavilion will be a spectacular success.

People want to be downtown and have access to restaurants, bars and other amenities - not simply drive to a bland parking lot by the FC. You need to offer an entire experience today and Baylor understands that. This portion of downtown (or "West Campus", Kim) will be more like a part of campus with student apartments and venues (including live music, etc) geared toward students that are all walkable. It's a game changer for the university and the basketball programs. I can't wait!

And we also have to keep in mind that the new Magnolia Network (or whatever they are calling it) coupled with lifted covid restrictions is likely to bring even more traffic, once the construction of 35 and several downtown Waco streets is complete.
No Longer Gold
Played.

I really hope Waco isn't banking on DYI fixer upper shows remaining relevant to sustain its growth for the future.

Only so many times people will go to the store of an over rated show to buy over priced pieces of shiz made in China.

But glad it's working out, and hope it continues for the next 10 years+ or so, and that the Gaines keep what they made funneling into BU.

Good on them, and good on Waco, but need to keep in perspective.
No Longer Gold
In 10 years the circle (magnolia table) will be for sale again and the silos will be a still running, but run down memory of today.

Mark this post.
BUbearinARK
Swart Dra said:

In 10 years the circle (magnolia table) will be for sale again and the silos will be a still running, but run down memory of today.

Mark this post.
baylrballa
Swart Dra said:

Played.

I really hope Waco isn't banking on DYI fixer upper shows remaining relevant to sustain its growth for the future.

Only so many times people will go to the store of an over rated show to buy over priced pieces of shiz made in China.

But glad it's working out, and hope it continues for the next 10 years+ or so, and that the Gaines keep what they made funneling into BU.

Good on them, and good on Waco, but need to keep in perspective.

So lets.....not put a new sports arena downtown to continue growth?
Edmond Bear
Swart Dra said:

Mark this post.

How is this related to students not walking to the Ferrell Center now?

TechDawgMc
Swart Dra said:

FCS was closer to pat neff than it was to Ferrell
I think we understand part of your problem -- you can't judge distances.
baylrballa
TechDawgMc said:

Swart Dra said:

I think we understand part of your problem -- you can't judge distances.
haha, he edited in that gem later and I missed it.

walking from Pat Neff to:

Floyd Casey - 52 minutes
Ferrell - 24 minutes
Clifton Robinson Tower - 18 minutes
Yogi
If you really wanted to downsize, you could retrofit Mars McLean Gym and then you could just walk from Pat Neff Hall.

You'd also have a parking garage across the street and two of the largest male dorms on campus within the shadow of the gym.

The only issue? Having a place for them to sit.
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
Yogi
baylrballa said:

I don't know, I'd think your face would have to be at least a little straight to appreciate the potential of this:

whitetrash
Yogi said:

baylrballa said:

I don't know, I'd think your face would have to be at least a little straight to appreciate the potential of this:

That is actually a very close replication of Purcell Pavilion at Notre Dame.
Edmond Bear
Yogi said:

If you really wanted to downsize, you could retrofit Mars McLean Gym and then you could just walk from Pat Neff Hall.

You'd also have a parking garage across the street and two of the largest male dorms on campus within the shadow of the gym.

And, there is a second parking garage a couple of blocks away.

But, you'd have to empty them out before every home men's and women's basketball game. I love the Mars McLean idea. The place would be packed to the rafters. But, dang it would be painful on campus for a few months.

Oh, and one of those 'male' dorms is now 50/50 male and female.
Yogi
Edmond Bear said:

Yogi said:

But, you'd have to empty them out before every home men's and women's basketball game. I love the Mars McLean idea. The place would be packed to the rafters. But, dang it would be painful on campus for a few months.

***???? I guess we don't discriminate against who has to wait for the showers anymore...
Edmond Bear
Yogi said:

Edmond Bear said:

Yogi said:

***???? I guess we don't discriminate against who has to wait for the showers anymore...

Penland and Russell have gone coed. There is a great wall on each floor separating two sides.
BearlyHeardFrom
It's really just an OK wall.
jbbear
Yogi said:

baylrballa said:

Endorsed by the Big 12 commissioner Bob Boobsby.
BaylorGuy314
whitetrash said:

Yogi said:

baylrballa said:

That is actually a very close replication of Purcell Pavilion at Notre Dame.

Notre Dame's done it

Yogi
Edmond Bear said:

Yogi said:

Edmond Bear said:

Yogi said:

Penland and Russell have gone coed. There is a great wall on each floor separating two sides.
UrsinusInfction
Swart Dra said:

Distance has nothing to do with it.

"Sports corridor" is what needs to be created.

35 kills that.

If y'all haven't seen the progress on 35, you should see the width of the UP/4th and 5th underpasses. I think the architects worked with the city to ensure they were big and bike/pedestrian friendly. Really think it won't be the barrier it was (and was designed to be originally).
BaylorGuy314
Swart Dra said:

Wait...what?

That's not even remotely true. FCS was 2+ miles (as the crow flies) from Pat Neff. And there wasn't just an interstate in the way. There was 1.5 miles of mostly dilapidated housing that made the route confusing, feel far more remote, and limited any surrounding development of any kind.

No Longer Gold
BaylorGuy314 said:

Swart Dra said:

Wait...what?

That's not even remotely true. FCS was 2+ miles (as the crow flies) from Pat Neff. And there wasn't just an interstate in the way. There was 1.5 miles of mostly dilapidated housing that made the route confusing, feel far more remote, and limited any surrounding development of any kind.

Reading is fun.
BUbearinARK
Swart Dra said:

BaylorGuy314 said:

Swart Dra said:

Wait...what?

Reading is fun.
I misread originally, you and your math-word games!

Edmond Bear
Swart Dra said:

BaylorGuy314 said:

Swart Dra said:

Wait...what?

Reading is fun.

You can always tell a good communicator by the number of people who understand them.
trey3216
Swart Dra said:

BaylorGuy314 said:

Swart Dra said:

Wait...what?

Reading is fun.

So is being ignorant, apparently.
BearlyNose
It's interesting to read that what is intended by relocating the new basketball arena on the western side of I-35 is to promote a downtown experience with all of the restaurants, apartments, entertainment venues, etc. When I attend a Baylor basketball game, my interest mainly lies with watching a good basketball game, as well as arriving there safely and with a minimum of inconvenience and surprise. If driving to the venue is more difficult (I.e. the travel to the site more crowded, the parking more congested, or non-existent), I am less likely to attend games. And if I am unable to attend the games, I hope these young people who claim the benefits of the "downtown experience" are willing to put up the money to support Baylor athletics when I no longer can.
Ludwig von Missi
BearlyNose said:

It's interesting to read that what is intended by relocating the new basketball arena on the western side of I-35 is to promote a downtown experience with all of the restaurants, apartments, entertainment venues, etc. When I attend a Baylor basketball game, my interest mainly lies with watching a good basketball game, as well as arriving there safely and with a minimum of inconvenience and surprise. If driving to the venue is more difficult (I.e. the travel to the site more crowded, the parking more congested, or non-existent), I am less likely to attend games. And if I am unable to attend the games, I hope these young people who claim the benefits of the "downtown experience" are willing to put up the money to support Baylor athletics when I no longer can.
I don't think the parking situation will be as bad as it seems like you're anticipating.

Also, keep in mind that the Ferrell Center isn't going to be torn down, so if we went with that location the new arena would cut significantly into the FC parking lot that is already shared with other spring sports like baseball, softball, and tennis.
br53
Swart Dra said:

Mark this post.
The silos would make a hell of still. Downtown could use some more places to drink.
The battle is not yours, but God's.
2 Chronicles 20:15
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.