Story Poster
Photo by The Register-USA TODAY NETWORK
Baylor Basketball

Gameday Thread: No. 1 Baylor (12-0) at No. 8 Iowa State (12-0)

December 29, 2021

#1 Baylor (12-0) travels to Ames, Iowa to take on #8 Iowa State (12-0) at 1pm CST on January 1st.  The game will be televised on ESPNU.  

KenPom Prediction:  Baylor 69 Iowa State 62

Torvik Prediction:  Baylor 66 Iowa State 62

Evan Miyakawa Prediction:  Baylor 73 Iowa State 68

Coaches

Iowa State:  TJ Otzleberger (44) 111-63; 2 NCAAs

Baylor:  Scott Drew (51); 404-224 overall (383-213 at Baylor); 9 NCAAs; 5 Sweet 16s; 3 Elite 8s; FF; 1 National Championship

Head to Head:  0-0 Scott Drew

Iowa State Starters

Guard:  Tyrese Hunter (FR) 6-0 180 lbs; 10 ppg; 5 asst; 2 steals; 35% FG; 21% 3pt; 69% FT

Guard:  Izaiah Brockington (SR) 6-4 195 lbs; 17 ppg; 8 reb; 2 st; 50% FG; 42% 3pt; 76% FT

Guard:  Gabe Kalscheur (SR) 6-4 200 lbs; 11 ppg; 3 reb; 2 st; 33% FG; 24% 3pt; 71% FT

Forward:  Tristan Enaruna (JR) 6-8 220 lbs; 6 ppg; 3 reb; 54% FG; 50% 3pt; 79% FT

Forward:  George Conditt (SR) 6-9 235 lbs; 6 ppg; 5 reb; 66% FG; 69% FT

Iowa State Bench

Forward: Aljaz Kunc (SR) 6-8 215 lbs; 7 ppg; 5 reb; 58% FG; 54% 3pt; 79% FT

Guard:  Caleb Grill (JR) 6-3 200 lbs; 8 ppg; 2 asst; 48% FG; 46% 3pt; 63% FT

Guard:  Tre Jackson (JR) 6-0 185 lbs; 5 ppg;  46% FG; 41% 3pt

Baylor Starters

Guard:  James Akinjo (SR) 6-1 190 lbs; 13 ppg; 2 reb; 6 asst; 2 st; 41% FG; 36% 3pt; 81% FT

Guard:  Adam Flagler (JR) 6-3 180 lbs; 11 ppg; 2 reb; 4 asst; 42% FG; 35% 3pt; 79% FT

Forward:  Matt Mayer (SR) 6-9 230 lbs; 9 ppg; 5 reb; 2 st; 39% FG; 33% 3pt; 62% FT

Forward:  Kendall Brown (FR) 6-8 205 lbs; 13 ppg; 4 reb; 2 asst; 71% FG; 50% 3pt; 70% FT

Forward:  Flo Thamba (SR) 6-10 250 lbs; 5 ppg; 5 reb; 1 blk; 68%; 55% FT

Baylor Bench

Forward:  Jon Tchatchoua (JR) 6-8 250 lbs; 9 ppg; 8 reb; 65% FG; 50% 3pt; 74% FT

Guard:  LJ Cryer (SO) 6-1 190 lbs; 14 ppg; 2 reb; 2 asst; 51% FG; 46% 3pt; 63% FT

Forward:  Jeremy Sochan (FR) 6-9 230 lbs; 9 ppg; 6 reb; 2 asst; 48% FG; 34 3pt; 52% FT

Discussion from...

Gameday Thread: No. 1 Baylor (12-0) at No. 8 Iowa State (12-0)

14,831 Views | 167 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by william
GruntTuff
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Great win in a tough environment against a good team.
Louise Romano
Just got to clean up a few mental errors down the stretch. Need work on OOB plays. Need work on blocking out without fouling although I'm not one to usually blame officiating, but the fouls were skewed outside the bell curve today.
Johnny Bear
GruntTuff said:

Great win in a tough environment against a good team.

Yes - and that good team also got a home court job that we overcame.
historian
And the Pokes are doing great against the Irish!!1
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
broncko
We still shot 41% from 3… ISU defense should be respected. It is the easiest way to go from 10th in your own conference to 8th in the country. Huge win for Baylor!
historian
10th out of 10!
GruntTuff
We really do have 8 starters. Would have been 9 if Love had not been injured. That is a huge advantage.

Hotsauce
Great win!

Loved all the answers we had to the many pushes by ISU. Lesser teams don't weather all those storms.
DancinBear09
Is it written in these announcer's contracts that they MUST mention Dave Bliss, Patrick Dennehy and how awful of a job Baylor was back then blah blah blah blah?

Literally every single big game I have watched it gets brought up. It's really ****ing old. You never hear about the Sandusky scandal during Penn State games but always hear about scandal during Baylor football or basketball games.
Jack Bauer
DancinBear09 said:

Is it written in these announcer's contracts that they MUST mention Dave Bliss, Patrick Dennehy and how awful of a job Baylor was back then blah blah blah blah?

Literally every single big game I have watched it gets brought up. It's really ****ing old. You never hear about the Sandusky scandal during Penn State games but always hear about scandal during Baylor football or basketball games.
That was only <checks notes> ...18 years ago. Seriously, let it go media.
Timbear
Huge disparity in fouls called on Baylor vs I St.
Jacques Strap
william
dude. I thought the game was tomorrow.....

- KKM

belated 'lomers with the tip'.

go bears!

{ sipping coffee }
Jacques Strap
historian
broncko
DancinBear09 said:

Penn State games but always hear about scandal during Baylor football or basketball games.

ESPN trying to promote the "Our Time" documentary that releases on Jan 6.

Penn State hasn't gone on to win a football Nat Champ. They are still simply average… they have no comeback story to tell.
vanillabryce
From 7 different conferences
historian
Actually, 6. 4 of them are Big 12.
BUCANDOIT82
boognish_bear said:

GruntTuff said:

Thamba might not play in today's NBA, but he can have a 10+ year career in Europe.

I never thought of him as a potential NBA player….but now I'm starting to wonder.

But you may be right that he doesn't fit the new prototype of an NBA big man.

He can switch out on the perimeter, which fits the desire for Bigs who can't be switched off the floor.
Louise Romano
This team has already passed my expectations! I was also familiar with Sochan in Europe and he had a nice game already, but he didn't shoot like he has recently. If you add his outside shot to his game he is elite.

Somewhat disappointed in JTT play today. He was out of position a few times which I've never seen before, but one bad game is OK. Am impressed he is hitting a few jumpers though.

Would like to see a bit more of the 5 out lineup with no JTT or Thamba in stretches. That team can be offensively deadly although they do give up some size. ALL of these 8 in the rotation are very very good defenders.

If Cryer and Flagler can be relied on for outside shots consistently and Akinjo has a balanced scoring/assist ratio we can beat anybody anytime anywhere.

I would say the only area this team needs significant improvement is on the boards...O and D. I can't think of anything we could do better on the D side of things except maybe like I said...rebound.

You can tell the chemistry is coming together and for me that was the biggest question mark AFTER I saw how athletic and how good we can shoot it. Mayer really started to impress today. He was sharp mentally, found his shot at the right moment and hit the boards hard...big improvement.

Sic 'em 2022
vanillabryce
vanillabryce said:

From 6 different conferences
boognish_bear
DancinBear09 said:

I hate it….but I think we are stuck with it for as long as Drew is our coach….which I hope is a long time.

Rhule wasn't here long….but as he started turning the team around it was brought up almost every time they talked about Rhule.

It's not a part of Aranda's story so now it hardly ever comes up when talking about our football team.

But it will forever be tied to Drew's story.
DanaDane
Hats off to Iowa St and their new coach. It's always been easier to rebuild quickly in basketball when compared with football, but that dude has done a great job. That is a legit really good squad that will take down several big teams in Hilton this year.

However, more hats off to us. I knew we would be good this year but this team has an unbelievable poise and belief in itself for a group of guys where almost half didn't play together last year. Last year's poise made sense given that those guys had all practiced and played for 2-3 years together. I can't wait to watch this team continue to grow. That's the most amazing thing here -- this team is still in its relative infancy stage with room for even MORE growth!
Jacques Strap
Skip to about 0:50

Matt Norlander and Gary Parrish join CBS Sports HQ to recap Baylor surviving Iowa State.

Ghostrider
boognish_bear said:

DancinBear09 said:

I hate it….but I think we are stuck with it for as long as Drew is our coach….which I hope is a long time.

Rhule wasn't here long….but as he started turning the team around it was brought up almost every time they talked about Rhule.

It's not a part of Aranda's story so now it hardly ever comes up when talking about our football team.

But it will forever be tied to Drew's story.

Yep. They are just showing how Drew took over a complete ****show and turned it around. It is an amazing story.
Jacques Strap
After rewatching I could not help but think we have an entire team of Icemen who all game long hit big shot after big shot on the road some of which were very difficult shots.
william

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.